Jade Shadows: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

PS4 - Anyone here with the PS4 4.50 FW Beta try "Boost Mode"?

Tersora

Hey all!

Curious if anyone here has tested Warframe with the PS4 Pro "Boost Mode" with the 4.50 Beta update right now.

Totally excited to see if it locks the framerate at 60FPS all the time, or what happens :) - At least until the official PS4 Pro update from DE!

Thanks!

Definitely would like to know as well.  Tried asking at yesterday's PS4@4 but got lost in the chat stream.

From the little I've known of the 4.50 update, 'boost mode' is supposed to work on certain games and needs to be manually activated.

I'm sure the PS4 team at DE has tested it with 4.50 beta and would love to hear some official updates.

There is a good article with some PS4 Pro 'boost mode' tests here: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2016-ps4-pro-boost-mode-tested-a-game-changer-for-unpatched-titles

If DE is actively making a PS4 Pro patch with HDR support, then 'boost mode' probably won't be relevant.  I don't think I've heard any official news from DE about this although I did hear about possible HDR support (which works on the regular PS4) from an older devstream.

At TennoCon2016 when I spoke to one member of the PS4 team there, he said that since Warframe came out (way before) PS4 Pro, they were not required to update to support the new hardware.  That does not mean that they won't, so will just wait with bated breath for now. :smile:

• 2 weeks later...

Any news at frame rate test about Warframe on PS4 bro with boost mode activated ?

I don't have a beta key for the 4.50 PS4 firmware so I was not able to test it yet....

You have to know guys that PS4 Pro does not enhance anything on Warframe at all and use only normal PS4 specs like many games that don't have been patched...

I play on PS4 Pro and sometimes, when there are many enemies/effects/etc... there are big frame drops, exactly the same frame drops we can see on a standard PS4... (from what I remember with my first PS4) With the PS4 pro I don't have noticed any improvement on Warframe and that's normal considering Sony policy about that...

The better would be an official and real PS4 Pro patch made by Digital Extreme that would fully use PS4 Pro specs... but there nothing clear so far unfortunately on there side... Sure that it will need some extra development time but we (PS4 Pro owners) deserve it !...

Anyway (hopefully) from what we have seen on other games on Digital Foundry videos with the boost mode activated we may have slightly less frame drops on PS4 pro... I can't wait for the 4.50 firmware availability !

Some frame rate tests on some games with the PS4 Pro Boost mode :

Edited by (PS4)ogamitaicho77

On 8.2.2017 at 10:35 PM, SurrealEdge said:

Warframe is already stable on PS4 and runs at 60 fps already, just with lower settings than what it can do on pc.

Not sure what you're looking for.

Huh? I don't know if we play the same game. Did you try to play the game with 3 other players while doing a fissure mission. It totally kills the fps and makes the controls in the game feel sluggish.

On 8.2.2017 at 10:23 PM, (PS4)Mofojokers said:

Not entirely sure what you mean but i run Warframe on a PS4 Pro and its never dropped in frame rates like it did on the normal version.

If that helps?.

Does that mean I dont get that horrendous fps drops when I play fissure missions etc. with others? I want to buy the ps4 pro but I am not sure if that will really improve the frame rate issues in this game.

4 hours ago, (PS4)ChillZI1986 said:

Huh? I don't know if we play the same game. Did you try to play the game with 3 other players while doing a fissure mission. It totally kills the fps and makes the controls in the game feel sluggish.

I did a few survival runs in my short time with the PS4 version and didn't see much of an issue. The frame rate has dropped every now and again, but nothing too drastic.

Could be a bias since I've only played on the Pro.

18 hours ago, (PS4)ChillZI1986 said:

Does that mean I dont get that horrendous fps drops when I play fissure missions etc. with others? I want to buy the ps4 pro but I am not sure if that will really improve the frame rate issues in this game.

I first played Warframe on PS4 standard (CUH-1216B) for about a year. On November 2016 I sold it then bought a PS4 Pro and since this time I play Warframe on it.

To be honest, I don't have seen any difference between PS4 (Chassis C) and PS4 Pro. Exactly the same frame drop issues unfortunately... :(

Most of the time it's OK but when you have many special effects or enemies on screen this can be a pain for the controls or to move the camera with big frame drops... Fortunately there will be the boost mode in the next PS4 firmware update that may make the fps more stable... I hope that they will adjust and upgrade this mode in the next PS4 firmware updates...

As I said before, for Warframe, unfortunately Digital Extreme didn't put any effort so far to make that the games runs better on PS4 Pro... I really hope that they will consider this fact and patch the game to fully use the PS4 Pro specs. I'm not asking for a 4K resolution but at least a solid 60fps at 1080p... Of course if they could add some graphics special effect that we can find on PC that would be even better... ;p

More generally, in my opinion you should get a PS4 Pro anyway because after several month of use I'm very satisfied with it. I don't have yet a 4K screen but the overall use is much smooth and reliable. The patched game that use the real PS4 Pro specs are really better and optimised even for 1080p screens and it's pretty sure that most of the games that will be released from now and in the future will be optimized for the PS4 Pro with its specs...

28 minutes ago, (PS4)ogamitaicho77 said:

I first played Warframe on PS4 standard (CUH-1216B) for about a year. On November 2016 I sold it then bought a PS4 Pro and since this time I play Warframe on it.

To be honest, I don't have seen any difference between PS4 (Chassis C) and PS4 Pro. Exactly the same frame drop issues unfortunately... :(

Most of the time it's OK but when you have many special effects or enemies on screen this can be a pain for the controls or to move the camera with big frame drops... Fortunately there will be the boost mode in the next PS4 firmware update that may make the fps more stable... I hope that they will adjust and upgrade this mode in the next PS4 firmware updates...

As I said before, for Warframe, unfortunately Digital Extreme didn't put any effort so far to make that the games runs better on PS4 Pro... I really hope that they will consider this fact and patch the game to fully use the PS4 Pro specs. I'm not asking for a 4K resolution but at least a solid 60fps at 1080p... Of course if they could add some graphics special effect that we can find on PC that would be even better... ;p

More generally, in my opinion you should get a PS4 Pro anyway because after several month of use I'm very satisfied with it. I don't have yet a 4K screen but the overall use is much smooth and reliable. The patched game that use the real PS4 Pro specs are really better and optimised even for 1080p screens and it's pretty sure that most of the games that will be released from now and in the future will be optimized for the PS4 Pro with its specs...

Well it would help if the PS4 and even Xbox ran at a native 1080 but they both upscale it to 1080 resolution to make up for their weak hardware.

It's not really DEs inability to make the game run better so much as they have to scale things back so consoles can handle it. And no this isn't a "PC Master race" thing it is simply the truth.

All the boost mode is, is something PC's have been doing for a while now having profile specific tweaks for games, or those with no set profile a generic overclock that gives a bit more grunt at the cost of heat (which on most consoles can be an issue so I hope the PS4 Pro has better cooling, haven't looked at my roommates)

3 hours ago, SilvaDreams said:

Well it would help if the PS4 and even Xbox ran at a native 1080 but they both upscale it to 1080 resolution to make up for their weak hardware.

It's not really DEs inability to make the game run better so much as they have to scale things back so consoles can handle it. And no this isn't a "PC Master race" thing it is simply the truth.

All the boost mode is, is something PC's have been doing for a while now having profile specific tweaks for games, or those with no set profile a generic overclock that gives a bit more grunt at the cost of heat (which on most consoles can be an issue so I hope the PS4 Pro has better cooling, haven't looked at my roommates)

Hey, I don't want to go on a PC VS Console war, that is not the purpose of this topic... :facepalm:  We're talking about a PS4 firmware (4.50) and what it is supposed to enhance on the Pro version...

First of all, PS4 (at least the Pro) runs natively Warframe at 1080p resolution... I don't know for the X-Box One...

For the PS4 Pro, the hardware is not that weak and surpass PC configurations for this range of price... The problem is not that the consoles are "so weak" comparing PC, It's just that it takes time and resources for optimizing but some game developers published patches and that works well.

I can understand that DE don't have both (time and resources) and focus on PC development that will be always the reference version but IMO they should make the effort to seriously patch the game for the PS4 Pro considering that it could make the game more enjoyable...

21 minutes ago, (PS4)ogamitaicho77 said:

Hey, I don't want to go on a PC VS Console war, that is not the purpose of this topic... :facepalm:  We're talking about a PS4 firmware (4.50) and what it is supposed to enhance on the Pro version...

First of all, PS4 (at least the Pro) runs natively Warframe at 1080p resolution... I don't know for the X-Box One...

For the PS4 Pro, the hardware is not that weak and surpass PC configurations for this range of price... The problem is not that the consoles are "so weak" comparing PC, It's just that it takes time and resources for optimizing but some game developers published patches and that works well.

I can understand that DE don't have both (time and resources) and focus on PC development that will be always the reference version but IMO they should make the effort to seriously patch the game for the PS4 Pro considering that it could make the game more enjoyable...

Well mind you it is still a beta feature no?

Why would DE put time into something that could break when it fully released?

I think more than a few companies found out how stupid that was with Windows 10.

Oh and no the native resolution for Xbox1 is 900p.

I have all the major consoles going back to the SNES still so I can't play the PC Master race card anyways =p

Edited by SilvaDreams

12 minutes ago, SilvaDreams said:

Well mind you it is still a beta feature no?

Why would DE put time into something that could break when it fully released?

Yeah sure for the beta it can change anytime, the boost mode is a function that will automatically makes the CPU and GPU runs at higher frequencies than the original PS4. The only "risk" is that this frequency will be augmented in the next version of the firmware...

But just as I said (did you read well ?) Yeah, DE should definitely spend time to develop a specific and official PS4 Pro Patch that would fully use the PS4 Pro Specs to make Warframe runs better on the Pro as it should be... Like many other third party developers did. Sony gave already all the libraries and resources for developers to be able to use PS4 Pro potential... It's just a matter of policy... I just ask nothing more, nothing less like many PS4 pro owners should...

26 minutes ago, SilvaDreams said:

Oh and no the native resolution for Xbox1 is 900p.

I have all the major consoles going back to the SNES still so I can't play the PC Master race card anyways =p

Oh and yes the game runs natively at 1080p on PS4.

The same for me, I kept many of my old consoles since the Megadrive/SNES and play on PC too... We play and played on the same systems bro ! :satisfied:

1 minute ago, (PS4)ogamitaicho77 said:

Oh and yes the game runs natively at 1080p on PS4.

The same for me, I kept many of my old consoles since the Megadrive/SNES and play on PC too... We play and played on the same systems bro ! :satisfied:

Well my sister kept my Nintendo (Her ex pawned most of my 600+ games for it),my Sega(CD) was stolen and pawned by him too and my Atari and Commador 64 were stolen by an ex roommate... So that is why I lack my older consoles sadly.

Still had my old PC Jr up and running back in 2011 when I had to let it go when we had to start cleaning out my grandparents house, I had no room for it at the time.

12 minutes ago, SilvaDreams said:

Well my sister kept my Nintendo (Her ex pawned most of my 600+ games for it),my Sega(CD) was stolen and pawned by him too and my Atari and Commador 64 were stolen by an ex roommate... So that is why I lack my older consoles sadly.

Still had my old PC Jr up and running back in 2011 when I had to let it go when we had to start cleaning out my grandparents house, I had no room for it at the time.

Ah sorry to read you about your stuffs that were stolen... :sadcry: The first system I ever played were Amiga 500 and Master System... I'm not a "nostalgic" person but I as you may do I keep my old consoles/system/games as much as possible... :satisfied:

I got a ps4 pro today and tested warframe on it. Although it is not perfect it still runs much better when much is happening on the screen.

I tested it on akkad with 4 man squad. There were many effects from the abilities of the warframes and the enemies. The frames never dropped to the point were it felt like a picture slide show. I think it was stable 30 fps with all the display settings on. When it is a bit calm then I think the fps is in between 40-50 fps.

Don't expect 60 fps on the ps4 pro. Unless the developers optimize it, it will never happen. Still I am very happy with my purchase. It runs much better and the controls dont feel sluggish anymore when so much S#&$ is happening on screen.

Also tried fissure defense mission on akkad. Again much better than on standard ps4. As soon as I used my novas 4th ability and the enemies get corrupted, it still runs normal. We even had a nidus in the squad and you know how much effects his abilities have.

If you have the choice between the ps4 and ps4 pro and frames are important to you, then you have to take the ps4 pro. It is a great machine. I dont have a 4k tv yet but maybe I will get one in the future. I wanted to buy the ps4 pro because on the normal ps4 there are some games that have framerate issues (look at The evil within for example).

I still hope that warframe will get a patch for the ps4 pro in terms of overall gameplay performance because I think the ps4 pro has a lot of power under the hood.

You have to understand that games dont run perfect as soon as you get a better processor. There can be some improvements but If the developers don't optimize their game for the platform you can have as much power as you want it will not change much.

However, like I said I am happy. The game is much more stable now and fissure missions are not a pain anymore.

On February 23, 2017 at 3:00 AM, (PS4)ogamitaicho77 said:

Could it also be improved Wi-Fi/LAN line optimization?

I recently moved from a PS4 with a hybrid SSD drive to the PS4 pro also with a new firecuda SSD hybrid drive and the difference was very noticeable mainly due to upgrade to 4K resolution which is a huge impact even if it just upsampling and not native source. The other huge noticeable increase was frame rates I have mine locked to 4K @ 30 fps as that is what my PJ can output it however never drops below the 30 no matter what I've done in game. With the old PS4 I frequently had stuttering or drops in frames not anymore. Keep in mind I have very good internet so that may play a role as well (180 Mb/s down and 30 Mb/s up). 

For me the difference was huge and immediate I'm very happy with the upgrade and look forward to any DE optimization done additionally in future

cheers

calvin

On 27/02/2017 at 7:28 PM, (PS4)Silverback73 said:

Could it also be improved Wi-Fi/LAN line optimization?

Not that much IMO. My PS4 pro is LAN connected.

I don't have a very good connection but I think it's OK for games like warframe (Download : about 35mb/sec - upload : about 5mb/sec - Ping : 15 ms)

I have also noticed some big frame drops when I set SOLO mission so I still think that Warframe needs optimization on PS4 Pro related to the engine with specific settings to fully use the PS4 pro specs ... (like many other developpers did => http://www.ign.com/wikis/playstation-4/PS4_Pro_Game_Upgrades_and_Differences

It's just a matter of the developpers policy, Sony does not force developers to patch their games but I just hope that DE will do it in the future for thr Pro... That would be very appreciated for Warframe. It's not like the development of this game was over... They still work on it and frequently update it so why not be great with PS4 pro owners and make possible to use the full potential of the console...

Scratch that 3/7 release date.  Sony just confirmed that 4.50 will be out tomorrow (3/9)!  http://blog.us.playstation.com/2017/03/08/ps4-system-software-update-4-50-out-tomorrow/

We'll get to try Boost Mode on Warframe soon enough with a PS4 Pro.  Strange that DE hasn't posted any official word about performance, so it must either be the same or nothing noticeable!