Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Cutting the middle man: Resources going straight to player's inventory

AlphaSierraMike

i'm totally agaist it, i think looting is part of the game, a sub-objective in the heat of the fight, if you put that away it will seems to me like playing a fps without the material aspect of a rpg like it is now, and i will stop playing because the only thing people will think is killing efficently the next thing and rush run every single fking run because you don't need to stop looting. you will not need to go in smaller room because your ignis with punch-trough will brake any container, and you will not find statues because they are where those room was, and some of those room are in strange places like the one in the void. If you take away the material loot in mission it will not add anything, it will only break your rpg-like immersion and make people ignore exploration even more than now.

No thank you.

Edited by Sirfol

6 hours ago, AlphaSierraMike said:

What no. Vacuum is still there in this scenario, we're not talking about removing vacuum. I'm just talking about removing the material gathering aspect of vacuum, not the ammo gathering.

Look, there's two types of drops, one is stuff you can use in combat like ammo and energy, the other being stuff you can't use like materials. I'm just suggesting that for the stuff that we can't use in combat to have them added straight into the inventory.

Nobody is forcing you to use anything. You can still use vacuum, it's still there to gather ammo for you.

Look dude, we are rotating in circles, because u made a Topic which allows u to float between arguments and use which fits u ATM. While u r focused on killing, I don't know why, I'm speaking about Farming, which is, imho Alfa and omega of this game. Example why No, again: New Tenno Reinforcement: I need this and that Resource, ASAP, no matters why. You are forcing me to run x hrs Void to get 5 Argons, because I can't check. Question: To Vacuum or not to Vacuum was already answered in days when Vacuum was reworked. I can bet that the new Mutagen sample "issue" will come, because not everyone take a lesson from that, we all be glad that we have Vacuum like now, but that's another Neverending story.

Cheers

Edited by (PS4)Onder6099

4 hours ago, (PS4)Onder6099 said:

Look dude, we are rotating in circles, because u made a Topic which allows u to float between arguments and use which fits u ATM. While u r focused on killing, I don't know why, I'm speaking about Farming, which is, imho Alfa and omega of this game. Example why No, again: New Tenno Reinforcement: I need this and that Resource, ASAP, no matters why. You are forcing me to run x hrs Void to get 5 Argons, because I can't check. Question: To Vacuum or not to Vacuum was already answered in days when Vacuum was reworked. I can bet that the new Mutagen sample "issue" will come, because not everyone take a lesson from that, we all be glad that we have Vacuum like now, but that's another Neverending story.

Cheers

Did you even read what I wrote at the start?

How am I floating between arguments? It was always "non gameplay drops automatically added to the inventory from the beginning and only having gameplay related drops remain for picking up in game". That's it.

Is it because I never mentioned anything about enemies dropping resources exactly the same way as it is now? Surely that's implied. If not, I'll spell it out for you. Enemies still drop loot the way it does now. The same chance. The same type. Just not having to actually pick it up. If that still doesn't make sense to you, just imagine an infinite range vacuum that only attracts non gameplay drops like materials, stuff you can't use in combat, without actually having to use vacuum.

Vacuum is then relegated to just picking up gameplay loot like ammo and energy, stuff that you can use in combat, freeing up an option for builds that don't require ammo and energy.

If anything, you're adding in your own ideas. I never mentioned anything about changing how resources drop. Never mentioned actually removing vacuum and affecting the usability of high ammo consumption weapons. Never mentioned anything about having drops tied to play time. That's the impression I'm getting, is that you're suggesting having loot be tied to a mission, with "x hrs Void to get 5 Argons" and probably at the start where you said something along the line of spawning in and immediately getting a Vengeful Revenant, which is not what I'm suggesting. That's just you.

If not mentioning everything is such a problem, then let's clear things up. Anything that's not mentioned in the post remains the same as it is now. Item drops the exact same way. Farmed the exact same way. Displays the obtained drop the exact same way. Checked the exact same way.

Don't throw your own stuff in just because there's blank spaces.

13 hours ago, Chipputer said:

I could only get behind this system if they made the AFK detection more strict. Untiil they do that I'd rather people have to move to collect the loot because I am not funding CoDPlayer6969's need for loot without any effort.

The amusing bit though currently players can AFK, then go collect the loot after some time spent AFK (so already getting their cake and eating it too).  With a system where it's automatically added they would miss out permanently (if flagged by the AFK timer), because they were AFK at the time the loot dropped and no chance to just go collect it later.  It also has the potential of reducing a huge amount of net traffic used to keep track of the loot drops.

Though seems the heavy naysayers would be likely be happier if Affinity dropped as pickups as well (it's much the same for progression). While believing you have to stop possible exploits at the expense of the fun, rather than just playing as awesome space ninja (as opposed to space scavengers).

Edited by Loswaith

On 15/02/2017 at 6:21 AM, NightBlitz said:

secondly, you dont seem to have an idea of balance. vacuum isn't necessary, thus its something extra and requires a cost. remember back when vacuum was briefly made into a sentinel passive but had a 6m range? thats cus of balancing, they decided that if it was going to be the full 12m, it had to have a cost greater than simply having a sentinel with you. you don't have to understand this, but you do  have to accept it, regardless of what you might say or think.

By the same token, sprinting isn't necessary, and it used to have a cost, remember back when stamina was a thing?

But that cost got removed because it wasn't fun and broke up the flow of the game.

1 minute ago, ChuckMaverick said:

By the same token, sprinting isn't necessary, and it used to have a cost, remember back when stamina was a thing?

But that cost got removed because it wasn't fun and broke up the flow of the game.

and yet most people dont even use sprint that often, usually they bullet jump or roll

I just want universal Vaccuum. Feeding my Kohm is pretty much impossible without looting the vast majority of ammo drops with an ammo mutation mod equipped, especially since the Riven I have for it nearly doubles its fire rate, so whenever I want to use it, I can't use my cats because it's bound to run dry unless I literally spend half my time just running around for ammo.

Just dropping resources into the players inventory is stupid, but I could see resources work like credits, so all resources picked up by teammates are also given to the you as well if you're in range.

9 minutes ago, Tyrian3k said:

I could see resources work like credits, so all resources picked up by teammates are also given to the you as well if you're in range.

This makes a lot of sense, after all you drop into and extract from the mission together, why shouldn't you pool the resource collection?

'In-mission' resources (energy, ammo, etc.) would still need to be picked up individually, but stuff you take with you after the mission is collected for the whole squad

I disagree with your suggestion. I'm one of the people who argued for Vacuum becoming a universal mechanic instead of a mod, but this is just too much, in my opinion.

Looting is a core part of this game, similar to the way Dungeon Defenders/Borderlands looting works. You fight in a map and walk around getting loot from enemies that you or your teammates killed.It helps create an incentive for players to move around and helps with putting importance into map awareness. Taking this away would create what a previous comment called "Cookie Clicker" style game where while you're playing the game, you don't actually have to put much attention as you need. 

While the argument you could make is that you would still need to pay attention and move around alot if you want to kill or just survive. There are already easy ways of getting around those which has made this game even more Cookie Clicker than most realised. (I'm referring to the many abilities that allows us to survive by either making us near-invincible (Trinity, Valkyr etc.) or CC abilities that can pretty much lockdown a large area (Mag, Nova etc.).

So, maybe a different approach/fix/solution would be better?

Edited by Haspitas
Spelling

On 2/15/2017 at 1:33 AM, JSharpie said:

No. Absolutely not.

Have you ever played Cookie Clicker or Anti Idle? If you make this change, you make it the meta to sit in a survival in a hallway with an AOE with a macro for hours. You make it a cookie clicker, I mean it's already bad enough with Vacuum and hallways, but doing this cuts out on the game. It'd be like if all gold or potions or loot from Diablo 2 immediately went in your inventory, or if in Dark Souls you got every weapon and armor as soon as you unlocked the door.

It's promoting laziness for the sake of laziness.

No it's not. Many of us don't count picking up stuff as one of the core objectives of the game. It's a necessity, but it's not fun and it doesn't add anything to the experience. That's why Carrier was the most used companion, because not having to worry about pickups lets you play the game.

And no, the analogies are wrong simply because you don't use resources during a mission (energy and ammo aside, which should still be pickups), and you still have to do the killing (you're not getting stuff for free).

Is it more exploitable? Yes. But I don't believe any game should gut its intended gameplay just to minimize afking (it's like that common piracy issue where legitimate users get inconvenienced more than pirates). The proper way is to try and find a solution that doesn't affect regular players at all.