Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Telos Boltace + Blood Rush + Maiming Strike

bashedpotato

Question

Hi,

Im a newbie. I just bought Telos Boltace. I'm having a dilemma if Blood Rush is still needed while Maiming Strike is already equipped.

Blood Rush 135% critical chance

Maiming Strike 90% chance on slide slash. 

I just thought maybe I can replace Blood Rush with a different mod that would make sense.

I checked Boltace builds and it seems that most builds are equipped with both mods mentioned above. So I'm confused. Can someone explain in detail what Blood Rush is really for? It clearly says it gives 135% critical chance. What does that even mean? 100% means you'll hit critical damage in every hit, and Maiming Strike's 90% isn't bad at all. why would you need more than 100%. Even the wiki page didn't give any helpful info. . There must be something that I am overseeing.

Thanks.

Edited by bashedpotato

19 answers to this question

It somewhat depends on the scenario you want to use it it.

Obviously the weapon and its build focus on slide attacks or "Spin2Win", making Maiming Strike an almost mandatory choice.
However, the weapon's potential can be increased with Blood Rush / Body Count

But keep in mind, that those require a very sustain stream of enemies in order to actually reach their full damage potential, which can be rough in non-endless missions or in a very kill-happy squad.
(even having to compete against another Telos Boltace can be critical at this point)

I would not recommend to use Blood Rush without Body Count or Drifting Contact, since the combo multiplier simply won't stay long enough to have a significant effect.

As for elementals, a lot of players go for Gas and some sort of invisibility, but a short range / long duration savage Banshee works fine too.
Alternatively, you can try and go for full base damage and slash without any elementals and, of course, the crit mods.

I hope I could help you.

Edited by Darken217
ctrl+enter instead of shift+enter

8 minutes ago, bashedpotato said:

Can someone explain in detail what Blood Rush is really for?

When you physically strike an enemy, your combo counter will increase.  With this mod your critical chance will increase as the combo counter does.  

9 minutes ago, bashedpotato said:

What does that even mean? 100% means you'll hit critical damage in every hit, and Maiming Strike's 90% isn't bad at all. why would you need more than 100%.

Anything above 100% critical chance provides an extra critical chance, called red crits. http://warframe.wikia.com/wiki/Critical_Hit can explain it better.

Keep in mind than when you spin attack, it will crit with maiming strike but it does not increase your combo counter unless you actually hit something with the weapon itself, not the needles that shoot out with the spin attack.

If you increase your combo counter into red crit territory first, then spin, you'll get red crits with the spin attacks too,  Occasionally.

Unless you have http://warframe.wikia.com/wiki/Relentless_Combination then every slash proc on every enemy will increase your combo counter.

Hope that helps.

First of all about crits:
Once you reach 100%, every % above that gives a chance to red crit.
So lets say you reach 150% crit chance. This means not only that every single hit will be critical, but also there is a 50% chance that its a red crit. I am not sure how much more damage they deal, but lets just say its a lot. This goes even on if you reach 200% and more. In that case you would reach red crit lvl3, with 300% red crit lvl4 and so on.

Now for Telos Boltace in particular.
Maiming Strike is excellent for this weapon because you want to use slide attacks all the time with this weapon, thats its main purpose.
BUT, im gonna be frank now... Blood Rush is useless on this weapon. I highly recommend to not use this with Telos Boltace.
Well i am not going to stop anyone to do so, but consider this: The waves coming from Telos Boltace, which are your main damage, dont scale with the combo counter and thus also dont use combo mods like Blood Rush. in other words, you cant boost the wave damage with blood rush.

So its really up to you if you want to use blood rush or not, if you use it, try to connect directly with your blades rather than with the waves, no idea why someone would want to do that but ok.

The mechanics of Blood Rush are mentioned on the Wiki. 

Spoiler
  • Without a Combo Counter, Blood Rush provides no bonus to critical chance. At 1.5x, it provides 1.65 × 1.5 = +247.5% critical chance and at 2.0x, 1.65 × 2.0 = +330% critical chance.

The amount of crit it adds is 165% of the base critical chance on the weapon it is on. As the Combo counter increases, the increase in crit goes up. This makes it perfect for pairing with Body Count and Drifting Contact as they both increase the amount of time your Combo counter lasts. 

As for going over 100% critical chance; Having 100% crit chance means you will crit with the weapon 100%* of the time (yellow damage number).

At 120% crit chance, you have a 100% chance of hitting a critical hit, but also a 20% chance of hitting two crits. This event is denoted by a red damage number when dealing a "double/red crit". A red crit will do twice the shown amount of the Critical Damage stat. (2.0 Crit damage will deal 4x damage on a red crit)

For shotguns, the Crit chance is divided among the pellets. The Critical and Status chance shown are the stats for all the pellets combined, not individually.

Red crits apply to any weapon that can be raised above 100% crit and is commonly seen among Bows, certain Rifles and Melee weapons.

12 minutes ago, bashedpotato said:

Hi,

Im a newbie. I just bought Telos Boltace. I'm having a dilemma if Blood Rush is still needed while Maiming Strike is already equipped. Blood rush gives critical chance but based on Maiming Strike's description, it gives 90% critical chance. I just thought maybe I can replace it with a different mod that would make sense.

I checked Boltace builds and it seems that most builds are equipped with both mods mentioned above. So I'm confused.Can someone explain in detail what Blood Rush is really for? It clearly says it gives 135% critical chance. What does that even mean? 100% means you'll hit critical damage in every hit, and Maiming Strike's 90% isn't bad at all. why would you need more than 100%. Even the wiki page didn't give any helpful info. . There must be something that I am overseeing.

Thanks.

Maiming Strike is an additive +90%.  So, it will take the Telos Boltace crit chance from 10% to 100% on sliding attacks.  Given that the TB does a very damaging radial attack on slide attacks, this is a natural synergy that a lot of people like to use.  With just Maiming Strike, you're guaranteed a crit on every slide attack.

Blood Rush is a multiplicative that increases with your combo counter.  And, according to the wiki, it multiplies the crit chance after Maiming Strike is applied.  This means that Blood Rush is multiplicative based on 100% crit chance, not the TB's base 10% crit chance.  So, with your Rank 8 Blood Rush, once you reach 1.5x combo counter, you're guaranteed double red crits (over 300% crit chance).

http://warframe.wikia.com/wiki/Blood_Rush

1 minute ago, Mk_1 said:

Relentless Combination would like to have a word with you.

even if your combo goes up to x5, the waves still wont benefit from blood rush.
like i said the blades do, so if you go that way you will have to connect with your blades. I rather slide through the room hammering my fingers on the keyboard and watch everyone die around me, than trying to slide up to every single enemy just to get something out of my bloodrush

i don't get it why does everybody think blood rush or relentless combination on the telos boltace is a good idea?
its NOT and here is why:

take a few minutes of your time and try it in the simulacrum
what u need to know before trying it:
     when using the slide attack of the telos boltace there are 2 ranges that matter:

1. the range of the actual melee weapon
  2. the range of the proc which is the special syndicate proc effect

so when you try it make sure to first stay far away from the enemy so you can ensure that only the syndicate proc hits them
and after that try to slide directly into them so both ranges will hit them
while doing this pay attention to the damage you deal and to your melee combo although how the melee combo affects your damage in both cases

you will notice that there is a huge problem with the telos boltace:
all hits from the syndicate proc wont increase your melee combo at all
although the damage of the syndicate proc is NOT affected by your melee combo multiplier

seriously try it yourself before you answer to this post

if the test is not enough to wake you up think about this:
in an average mission you will hit/kill most enemys with the radial syndicate proc so you will NOT benefit from blood rush 99% of the time -> wasted capacity
if your goal is to slide attack directly into the enemys to hit them with both ranges let me tell you there are waaaay better weapons that actually benefit from combos
in case u want to use relentless combination on the telos boltace the radial syndicate proc will indeed increase your melee combo BUT the damage of it will still NOT increase
so yeah if you want to play a weapon with melee combo or blood rush take something else
maybe try orthos prime or the atterax (both have a incredible range, benefit from combos and from relentless combination as well as maiming strike
but wait that is not all, there is even more, every weapon can hit enemys through walls which the telos boltace snydicate proc can not)

Edited by Weidro

Young man, let me advise you a build:

Use maiming strike, blood rush, drifting contact and relentless assault together. Boltace's blade waves do not add to the combo counter but relentless assault increases your counter on slash procs, which the wave is guaranteed to do. So you can easily start doing insane red crits.

1 hour ago, bashedpotato said:

Can someone explain in detail what Blood Rush is really for? It clearly says it gives 135% critical chance. What does that even mean? 100% means you'll hit critical damage in every hit, and Maiming Strike's 90% isn't bad at all. why would you need more than 100%.

that crit chance ammount is not added to the base crit chance (if the melee have 15% and you add 135% you won't be having 150% crit chance !) it multiply the base ammount (15% crit chance + a mod that gives +100% crit chance will make it 30% crit chance)

Maiming Strike is an exception, it adds to the total crit chance you have on your melee (base + mods) an additionnal 90% crit chance on slide attacks.

when you exceed 100% crit chance, you will crit all the time, and the extra crit chance will be a chance to do red crits, wich doubles the crit damage ! 125% crit chance means that you'll crit all the time and you have 25% chance to do a red crit.

blood rush stacks with combo multiplier and can raise the crit chance a lot, and maiming strike will give you a high chance to do red crits since the begining, and with time it'll become 100% red crits, that's why people go with that mod combo :D

adding combo multiplier duration is helpfull to keep the combo up for longer so you won't have to start all over again!

Edit: forgot to mention this, god bless you @Evanescent

Use maiming strike, blood rush, drifting contact and relentless assault together. Boltace's blade waves do not add to the combo counter but relentless assault increases your counter on slash procs, which the wave is guaranteed to do. So you can easily start doing insane red crits.

Edited by 6KIRA9

4 minutes ago, 6KIRA9 said:

that crit chance ammount is not added to the base crit chance (if the melee have 15% and you add 135% you won't be having 150% crit chance !) it multiply the base ammount (15% crit chance + a mod that gives +100% crit chance will make it 30% crit chance)

Maiming Strike is an exception, it adds to the total crit chance you have on your melee (base + mods) an additionnal 90% crit chance on slide attacks.

when you exceed 100% crit chance, you will crit all the time, and the extra crit chance will be a chance to do red crits, wich doubles the crit damage ! 125% crit chance means that you'll crit all the time and you have 25% chance to do a red crit.

blood rush stacks with combo multiplier and can raise the crit chance a lot, and maiming strike will give you a high chance to do red crits since the begining, and with time it'll become 100% red crits, that's why people go with that mod combo :D

adding combo multiplier duration is helpfull to keep the combo up for longer so you won't have to start all over again!

Edit: forgot to mention this, god bless you @Evanescent

bows

21 minutes ago, Weidro said:

*clip*

Thank you... I dont understand it either.
No matter what i try with modding, Relentless+BR never clear 20 lvl135 Corrupted Heavy Gunners as fast as just going full damage.
It just doesnt work, you need way too many mod slots (Relentless + Blood Rush + BodyCount/Drifting Contact) just to get your blades crit higher. Thats 3 Slots gone. Going full damage instead makes your waves hit like a truck AND you dont need to physically connect with your enemies.
It just doesnt pay off to cripple your waves into combo enhancer, instead of making them actually do damage.

4 minutes ago, ButterLutter said:

Thank you... I dont understand it either.
No matter what i try with modding, Relentless+BR never clear 20 lvl135 Corrupted Heavy Gunners as fast as just going full damage.
It just doesnt work, you need way too many mod slots (Relentless + Blood Rush + BodyCount/Drifting Contact) just to get your blades crit higher. Thats 3 Slots gone. Going full damage instead makes your waves hit like a truck AND you dont need to physically connect with your enemies.
It just doesnt pay off to cripple your waves into combo enhancer, instead of making them actually do damage.

thank you for reading, understanding, trying, and watching the damn numbers on the screen while playing

every time this topic comes up i have the feeling that I'm talking to a brick
and it just wont get in my mind my no one pays attention to the actual numbers but still talks about "blood rush + telos boltace = mooaaar damage"
ITS RIGHT THERE ON THE SCREEN just read the damn numbers
enough of the rant there is no real content in this post just venting i have said everything that needed to be said in my post above