Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Let us send mail to other players

AdunSaveMe

Currently the only way to do so in game is to buy them a gift and leave a short message. Aside from this, the inbox is solely for event notifications and NPCs. Considering the somewhat lacking social aspects of the game, and the fact that the only way to directly communicate with someone who isn't online is through the forums, the mailing system should allow for player-to-player communication.

I imagine not everyone would like to be able to receive these messages from other players, so I propose toggles for it; allow inbox messages from friends, clan members, everyone, or nobody. The only downside to allowing it would be the potential for hatemail, however, I don't believe that should keep us from having the system, especially since there are already ways to send such messages to players, and ways to deal with players who do it.

The benefits far outweigh the drawbacks, namely the benefit of giving a nice boost to the game's social capacity.

• Like 2

• 5 years later...

Wow...

A 5 year thread nekro...

Eh.

For the topic, I don't see why being able to leave a message for an offline player would be a really bad thing.

Default it to 'nobody can send messages' for privacy purposes, then have stages of 'friends', 'clan', 'alliance' and 'public'. Put in a Report system and block system... and maybe limit it so that even if you're on 'friends' setting, a player can only leave you a maximum of two or three messages, rather than fill up your inbox.

::Edit::

For clarity, since somebody actually got on my case, by this I mean 'While the player is offline, you can only send a limited number of messages to them.' This would prevent spam, but would reset if they came online and read your messages, because then you could send them new ones when they go offline the next time.

The function is also only realistically needed for when somebody is actually offline, because when they're online you can just directly message them in Chat.

Edited by Birdframe_Prime
  • Like 1

Would be nice. But I would like at least two different inboxes or filters. So the admin and quest/npc messages are sent into one inbox and player to player messages to a different inbox.

Edited by Frendh
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, gamingchair1121 said:

that would just make it pointless

Why?

What can you not say in one message, or two, or three?

Is there magically a Tweet-length character limit I didn't mention?

What would actually necessitate you, personally, sending a person more than three messages at a time while they're offline?

The only thing that allowing more than three messages simultaneously to somebody offline from a single person would allow is spam. Flooding a person's inbox with hundreds of messages from a single person is not a good function of an in-game messaging system. Keeping it to two or three messages to an offline person means they sign back online, read your messages, send their reply if you're offline, or talk to you if you're online.

Then, when they go offline again, you can still send them another two or three messages.

Did you somehow read this as 'you can only ever send two or three messages to a person forever and ever and ever'?

Obviously if something like this were to be implemented, settings for allowing messages would be mandatory or DE staff, youtubers, and streamers would die under a flood of messages. Just look at how many friend requests public accounts have when they're shown on streams.

While adding tabs for mails for players versus NPCs and some filters and searching probably wouldn't be too hard to implement, I can't see DE doing it due to the DB storage needed for all the added messages that would be going around, especially with the tendency for a lot of people to just let the messages pile up. Heck, I'm guilty of letting some messages from event and Twitch drops that came with items sit around to have a bit of timeline for my history in the game. I do at least delete Baro and Stalker messages though to clean up.

On 2022-10-09 at 12:56 AM, (XBOX)HeavyMetal Mike said:

not you but lets say there's something that for some reason you cannot fit in 600 letters. not saying that's a common occurrence, but lets say it happens once or twice, since you can only send 200 letters per message

But... I didn't mention any kind of character limit, not 200, not 600. Why would there be a message character limit when there's a message limit?