Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Weapon Lore - The Sniper Rifles

MechNexus

I thought i'd start this to come up with reasons why the snipetron was retired, and add some backstory to weapons.

Snipetron

"This weapon takes me back. I recall a time when I shot down four infested ancients with it. Without reloading." - Sgt Nef Anyo

The Snipetron was originally introduced among the corpus as a prototype weapon that used an experimental barrel that would accelerate a standard bullet to insane speeds via some form of Orokin technology or Magnets. Either of the two. The weapon saw numerous revisions over the years, and after 15 years of research, the design was perfected into the Snipetron we know today. The corpus sold it to all who wanted it, offering extra compatibility with certain modifications. It would remain in use for over 100 years, and was a staple of Crewmen who preferred to kill someone politely and efficiently, and was favored among various mercenary groups and pirates across the system. Of course, when the Tenno awoke, They took favor to it, as well.

During this period, however, the Corpus had begun to make their transition towards energy weaponry, and were developing the Lanka Railgun, and with the rise of the Grineer (Who also bought Snipetrons, as their usual weapon ideals made them poorly suited to making decent sniper rifles.), Many mercenary groups were extinct, and soon enough, the Grineer developed the Vulkar. There was little point for the Snipetron to exist, and was thus discontinued.

Snipetron Vandal

"I wish copyright law still existed." - Unknown Corpus official

During the Grineer drone invasion, A Corpus freight ship was transporting a stock of snipetrons to a factory to be remade into Lankas. This was intercepted by the grineer, and held near Uranus for inspection. Of course, the Tenno caught wind of this, and raided the ship. On the ship's computer, there was a blueprint for the Snipetron - Which we now believe was the last to exist. The tenno took the ship and distributed the blueprint among themselves, While the Lotus repurposed the snipetrons on the ship into something far more deadly - The Snipetron Vandal.

Vulkar

"I honestly thought the designers were intoxicated when they designed the shape, but you can't argue with it's power." - Tyl Regor

For the longest time, The grineer have used the Corpus Snipetron due to being unable to develop a sniper rifle that met their needs on their own. However, it couldn't last. The extra mod compatibility of the snipetron proved to be useless to the grineer, as they did not allow their troops to modify their weapons, and replacing each rifle proved to be expensive. Thus, Grineer scientists reverse engineered a Snipetron, and made a new sniper rifle based off it to suit their needs - The parts that accommodated extra mod compatibility were stripped out in favor of improving the bullet acceleration system, and the scope was changed as most Ballistas reported difficulties with using the Snipetron's scope.

Lanka

"I can't say that I don't miss the Snipetron - But this is a clear improvement." - Unknown Corpus Sniper

The Lanka was developed around the time the Tenno were waking up - At this time, the Corpus were starting to transition toward energy based weaponry. Corpus R&D discovered that Railgun technology used in small arms was incredibly effective - It had near infinite range and was capable of piercing cover and thick armor with ease, and more shots could be extracted out of a battery than a magazine of the same size. Each shot required a brief charging period, though, but the scientists and all crewmen using it today consider it a non-issue. For the sake of time and familiarity, R&D quickly looked into making this new mechanism fit into the old Snipetron design - and it did, which is why the Lanka and Snipetron are identical. Of course, the Tenno quickly got their hands on this technology...

Paris

"I don't fear much, but this weapon is one of the few things that do scare me. It's silent, deadly, and worst of all, it rips right through your armor." - Councillor Vay Hek

The Paris is the furthest advancement of Earth's oldest weapon - The bow. Rather than using strings, it uses a thin magnetic field in place of a string to propel the arrows, giving them incredible velocity and armor piercing properties. The Paris was first discovered, or to be exact, rediscovered when the first Banshee warframes woke up. Every single Banshee owned one, and the weapon was quickly reverse-engineered by the Lotus, and a blueprint made, so every tenno could use it. Some have speculated that the Banshees were part of an elite cell who would specialize in assassination and espionage due to this.

Dread

No data available.

Discuss this and maybe add some of your own lore!

Edited by MechNexus

DE! Hear the voice of the people! Put those descriptions in game!

MOAR please, I'd love to read the history of MK1-Braton, Braton and Braton Vandal, or Lato, Lato Prime and Lato Vandal :D

Dibs on the Lato back stories!

Ah, great.

i had just spent ages typing up backstories for the MK1 braton, Braton, Braton vandal, Burston and Grakata but I accidentally hit the back button on my mouse.

Quick version:

MK1 braton was made by the corpus 600 years ago, still liked to this day due to ease of use

Braton was the improvement, just as popular

Braton Vandal was the Tenno version, Annoyed corpus execs

Burston was the first Grineer assault rifle

Grakata was made after the tenno awoke because everyone forgot how to aim

Cost WAS half of the reason why the Vulkar was made.

Yeah, I read that. Works for me.

But the Gorgon and Grakata are there to spray lead and make the bean counters happy when they make the ammunition suppliers happy. The soldiers using them? Not so much.

Edited by Kalenath

Dera: Originally it was actually used for Corpus construction project's, as a plasma flare, hence the reason why the dera has a slow and bright projectile speed, to allow every Corpus within the construction zone to be aware of what was moving around in space. However during a raid on a Corpus outpost, a crewmen (whom lived) used his plasma flare as a last resort weapon on a Tenno. He noticed the effect's it had on the Tenno energy shielding, which effectively disruptive the plasma shield's, allowing the other crewmen to wound the Tenno leading it to flee the system. Due to this sighting, the plasma flare reactor system was improved, with a higher cycling rate, which it allowed for a higher rate of fire, and to burn at a higher temperature. A more reliable weapon frame was needed as well, so instead of the plasma system used by the MOA's due to the large need of energy to fire it. The Corpus went with a two prong fork frame, that evenly accerated and heated the bolt to fire and go.

Lex: A favorite among veteran's in the solar system. This weapon design was based off of a old earth's pistol, such as the design, down to even the cailber, and the ammuntion capacity, so not much has change for this gun aside from the flashlight. Due to the large surplus of the weapon, anyone can buy it, for the right price that is. Although it is mainly only seen by Tenno's, as the pay grade of a Grineer is too low, unless one were an officer ranking, and Corpus discontinue use on bullet's have ended.

I don't know if anyone did Hek's lore, but, I guess I could try(?).

Hek

Named after one of the Grineer councillors, Vay Hek, Hek was built to accommodate the need of high-powered, accurate shotgun, which, up till now, it's the only one suffice for that role.

Hek's model is bulky, if not enormous.

It has 4, long barrels. Each fitted with one shotgun shells, with each shot fires one shell from a barrel.

Each shot travels at high velocity, thanks to the length of the barrel, giving each pellets extra penetration and range.

However, Hek's size and build give it some considerable drawback.

Each shot creates tremendous recoil, making continuous fire much less effective and inaccurate.

And because of the scarcity of the materials needed for building one, Hek was never built for mass usage.

Up till now, only high ranking Grineer uses, or even seen with the weapon, such as Vay Hek himself.

It's unknown how Lotus received the blueprints of the Hek, although speculation points out to some raid of a Grineer cargo ship in Earth system, long before the Tenno awakening.

--------

I guess that's all. I can't make a good backstory for its origin. :c

• 3 weeks later...

Ahm back!

MK1-Braton

"Man, Who DIDN'T use this at some point?" - Veteran Corpus Crewman

The MK1 Braton is the first iteration in the Braton line of assault rifles. It was designed with ease of use at heart, making it a simple weapon that can be picked up by anybody, offering a high magazine size and high accuracy for it's class. This combination lead it to be one of the most popular rifles of all time, popular among mercenary groups, Corpus Civilians as a home defense weapon and, for a brief amount of time, The Grineer themselves. Despite being horrifically outdated in this day and age, it is still incredibly popular, even among the Tenno, where it is also standard issue.

Braton

"I miss bullets." - Sgt Nef Anyo

The Braton is the final iteration in the Braton line of assault rifles. This one was more designed to be more effective in the hands of a trained user, and thus offers higher damage and fire rate at the cost of magazine size and accuracy. Despite being more difficult to use, it matched, and some say exceeded the popularity of the MK1, and is considered a straight upgrade. Some Crewmen even opt to use this over the Dera every now and again, and is even issued as a training weapon to new crewmen alongside the MK1. Of course, the Tenno took a fancy to it as well.

Braton Vandal

"SERIOUSLY! WHY DID WE GET RID OF COPYRIGHT?" - Corpus Official

The Braton Vandal is an upgraded version of the Braton created by the Lotus, issued to some of the first Tenno who awoke. It offers a higher crit chance (don't ask how this works, all I can tell you is "OROKIN SPEHSS MAGIC" - Nex) and increased accuracy at the cost of lowered fire rate. As well as every single one coming with an Orokin Catalyst built in, it comes with a slick Lotus paintjob.

Burston

"Why have one accurate shot when you can have three?" - General Sargas Ruk

The Burston assault rifle is, without a doubt, iconic. In their takeover of the system following the Collapse, The MK1 Braton did the Grineer well at first. but after a month of stalemates a year into their initial takeover of Earth, they decided they needed something better. Enter the Burston. An accurate rifle that was capable of incredible range, yet still had the bullet spewing power of an assault rifle. After it became standard issue, the conflicts picked up in the Grineer's favor, and the Burston battle rifle was then known as the right arm of the Grineer. But it couldn't last. As time went on, and the clones degraded, they lost their touch. Each generation had fewer people who still had the skill of their predecessors. Those that did and proved their worth were promoted to elite lancers. For the rest, something else was needed, and needed fast...

Grakata

"Simply put, DAKKA DAKKA DAKKA!" - Grineer Scientist

With the degrading skill of the lancers paired with the awakening of the Tenno, where the mere sight of one would often panic most Lancers into having even less aim, a new weapon was needed - One where aiming skill was irrelevant. Grineer scientists had a solution - The Grakata. The Grakata had the highest fire rate of any assault rifle in the known universe, with an impressive 60 rounds to boot, and even included some advanced orokin tech to improve the crit rate to impressive levels. The best part was? The weapon's appearance was intentionally barebones, as this drove down the cost quite significantly, but did have the side effect of reducing the weapon's reliability in certain environments, and made it prone to breaking, but these were seen as the insignificant flaws of an otherwise great rifle. The Grineer had finally created the new right arm - Cheap, Mass produced, yet still lethal. The Tenno happily agree.

Braton Prime

"Hypocrites." - Lotus

Recent exploration of the void has uncovered an ancient weapon blueprint - Upon replication, it had many similarities to the Braton - Similar shape, Similar handling, and similar internals. This raised many questions among the Tenno - Did the Corpus successfully recover Orokin tech from the void? Are they Ex-Orokin? Either way, Many Tenno have added this supercharged Braton to their inventory, proving that the originals may truly be the best.

Paris Prime

"It's official - O-Tech is friggin' dope!" - Mech Nexus

Recent exploration of the void has uncovered a bizarre weapon - And upon closer inspection, it was a bow. Replicating the weapon uncovered that it was almost identical to a Paris. But upgraded. One notable trait is that the arrows are less affected by the cruel maiden known as "gravity" and deals more damage to it's target, probably owed to the fact that some form of Orokin technology accelerates the arrow after it has been fired - Which probably explains the strange appearance.

Writing quality may have dropped as it's 2 in the morning right now. Either way, I hope you like it etc

Edited by MechNexus