The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

What are the ups and downs of all the ranged melee weapons?

VocalMagic

Question

So, I like the Redeemer. It lets me not go out and die during melee only sorties while sticking inside the snowglobes i put down around whatever I'm supposed to be protecting. I like the damage, but I'm wondering, what are are the pros and cons of the throwable melees and the Sarpa?

9 answers to this question

Redeemer:
+ at close Ranges takes the cake for Killing power.
+ Ragdolls Enemies that are hit within.... 5 Meters?
+ Ray Trace.
+ can Chain Shots to fire multiple Shots in quick-ish succession, followed by a moderate pause.
+ innate Punch-Through.
- basically ineffective at mid/long Range.
- Charged Shots have abysmal Status.

Redeemer also has a Hit Counter for the Shots - i don't know if Sarpa has the same. i presume so. this Hit Counter is separate from the usual Melee Hit Counter, and is not displayed.

Sarpa:
+ effective at much longer Ranges than Redeemer.
+ Ray Trace.
+ much easier to hit Weakpoints with.
+ can Chain Shots to fire multiple Shots in quick-ish succession, followed by a moderate pause.
+ innate Punch-Through.
+ Charged Shots fire twice.
+ Charged Shots have acceptable Status.
- nowhere near the Killing power of Redeemer (but competitive technically exceeding with the Thrown Melees due to each Charged Shot firing twice).

Thrown Melee:
+ with Channeling or Power Throw, can be detonated to deal AoE Damage.
+ can be bounced around corners and Et Cetera to hit Enemies not in view or to potentially hit numerous Enemies.
+ on the return trip (after hit maximum Range/bounces), has infinite Punch-Through, allowing to hit any and all Enemies that get in the way.
+ throws are Accurate, making hitting Weakpoints not too difficult.
+ throws can fully take avantage of Crits, Status, and the like without worry.
- each Throw requires a swing and then a Charge.
- Channel/Power Throw explosions deal self Damage.
- bouncing can be detrimental at times.

this is by no means a 100% comprehensive bullet list either.

Edited by taiiat

Gunblade Pros - Hitscan, can knock down enemies at 5m or closer, shots can be chained

Gunblade Cons - Takes a moment between shots

Glaive Pros - can be detonated for more damage, can be modded to fly faster

Glaive Cons - Needs a swing and windup before being thrown, may miss enemies, can bounce unpredictably

Those are just off the top of my head, mind.

10 minutes ago, Sintag said:

Gunblade Pros - Hitscan, can knock down enemies at 5m or closer, shots can be chained

Gunblade Cons - Takes a moment between shots

Glaive Pros - can be detonated for more damage, can be modded to fly faster

Glaive Cons - Needs a swing and windup before being thrown, may miss enemies, can bounce unpredictably

Those are just off the top of my head, mind.

Another glaive con is that you cannot melee until it has returned.

It is worth noting that the channeled throw on the Orvius seems to lock on to enemies within a fair-sized radius, so missing isn't a terribly big concern with that weapon. One major disadvantage of thrown melees that really bothers me, especially on the Orvius, which I otherwise like quite well, is that throwing the weapon when it is equipped (rather than with a quick melee) leaves you unarmed for the duration of the flight. I would really prefer if you automatically switched to your secondary until it came back, or some other sort of arrangement, so you could really capitalize on the CC aspect of the Orvius.

38 minutes ago, ChuckMaverick said:

What sort of ranges are you talking about? I can take out enemies right across the tile with a Redeemer.

Ranges where the Spread will mean most of the Pellets Redeemer fires will miss - and assuming the Enemy is high enough Level that it takes more than just  few hundred Damage to Kill it.
if not, then it doesn't matter what you use, because a Lato will Kill it in one shot too.

Don't you all forget the greatest ranged melee weapon of them all? The Telos Boltace.

The Telos Boltace releases a shockwave upon slide attack that is able to travel 9-24m and is able to trigger crit and status.

Pros: 

*Syndicate Weapon, proccs, cheap, kinda hard to get tho.

*High AoE range, very easy to use.

*Able to be used equipped and offhand

*VERY effective Status usage (Sets guaranteed slash, 25% Status base on Punctue, Full Synergy with abilitys- Toxic lash for example, thus perfect Candidate for Condition Overload. Used with Saryn: 5-6 status types on the fly, 3 allmost guaranteed)

Cons:

*Low crit chance on moderate Crit damage Base, Maiming strike is a mandatory if you want to make full use of Crits.

*Waves do not Profit from Combo and associated mods aka Blood Rush.

*Waves fall off with Range, similar to excals Ult.

*Kinda slow.

Edited by (PS4)CoolD2108