Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Any ideas as to how long warframe will be around?

Levenna

So this is something i've kinda thought about lately, and i wanna see what other people think,

Now i love this game, as do many other people. But i am wondering how long it will actually be around for, since there will most likely come a time when it simply isn't worth keeping the warframe servers up and running (although this won't be for a while), thoughts anyone?

Edited by Wolfsfang202

13 minutes ago, Wolfsfang202 said:

So this is something i've kinda thought about lately, and i wanna see what other people think,

Now i love this game, as do many other people. But i am wondering how long it will actually be around for, since there will most likely come a time when it simply isn't worth keeping the warframe servers up and running (although this won't be for a while), thoughts anyone?

WF more like mmo, especially WOW - no any replacement exist so it will be alive and with players while DE producing new content and doing changes. Buying once a year or two prime access also helps ^_^

I remember a couple of years back the devs said they had planned for Mastery Rank 30 to be a thing.

But yeah, as long as profits are to be made and the team is not burned out, the game will keep a chuggin.

I will be sad when and if eventually the core team starts to leave the company.  Mynki already left...

This is an interesting topic. We already live in an economy where online games come and go regardless of their profit model. However, it is still a relatively new phenomenon. It is possible the games that will last for over 100 years are already out. there is just no way to know. Or to know which ones. Mesoamerican ball games were played for over a thousand years, some modern versions are still played (Lunaro ? lol). Many modern sports have been around for a few centuries.

All I'm saying is that it's anthropologically interesting and anything is possible.

:D

1 hour ago, Wolfsfang202 said:

No real clue tbh... I'd paraphrase Starship Troopers and say, "Until either they die or we find something better.".

Warframe is a rather niche game in that it's a third person shooter co-op that places value in movement and has MMO elements baked in.

If Bioware were to take it's IP seriously and invest in polish, the mmo elements, and co-op, you'd have a contender.

Likewise, Destiny 2 (when it launches)... And Star Citizen (whenever/if ever it fully launches). 

If not, Warframe could be around "mostly as-is" for a long long time. A sci-fi shooter with mmo elements not purely focused on pvp and offering episodic storytelling for free is compelling and hard to contend with.

Imagine if Andromeda had given the opening (or the prelude to the departure) of the game free and a free(solidly built) Apex Squad Multiplayer with evolving nexus with cash shops, regular events and adding a map or two a month (think PSO2) until Bioware released a more polished Andromeda on November 7th for purchase... Huge market penetration, time to polish, and micro-transactions = Cash Cow.   

The bigger question revolves around whether there is another company with the guts to take that kind of challenge on... Failing that challenge would wipe most companies out so most wouldn't attempt it.