Jade Shadows: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

4719 Mandachord requests fulfilled (rounds on Wednesdays)

Buff00n

Question

On 4/27/2017 at 1:38 PM, Ricardo58 said:

This is my preferred one to have done, and I'm mostly interested on the part from the beginning up until 0:21, but if you could add the parts until 0:36 it would be perfect!

Adding the two sections together is kind of problematic.  I went with mostly the second one because it's more distinctive.

Slave To The System (Command & Conquer Tiberian Sun - Firestorm Expansion): Mandachord (Original)

2 hours ago, Buff00n said:

Tried very hard just to figure out what the melody was from that, couldn't do it.  Is there another version?

I didn't intend to actually spend time investigating this (I was just curious what the music was), but...I did:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-gRGh0FMbJY at ~2:15 (it's a medley). It's probably a little cleaner (to listen to) than the game rip, but it's slightly different and in a different key.

Assuming I correctly identified the part the requester wanted:

The game rip is easier for the Mandachord (I think), but the notes aren't quite in the right place. (D D F AB ... but the A and B are below the D/F - and I might have my notes wrong, since my sense of pitch often gets thrown off by things that aren't pianos...). The medley version seems to be B D CA B D A, but I don't think you can make that work on a Mandachord (the literal notes are wrong, but even transposing, the spacing doesn't work).

And then there are a bunch of accidentals that pop up...so yeah. Maybe you'll have more luck with it than me. :S

Still, that medley was pretty nice overall (for me anyways), so I regret nothing!

Edited by Ascarith

20 minutes ago, Ascarith said:

I didn't intend to actually spend time investigating this (I was just curious what the music was), but...I did:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-gRGh0FMbJY at ~2:15 (it's a medley). It's probably a little cleaner (to listen to) than the game rip, but it's slightly different and in a different key.

Assuming I correctly identified the part the requester wanted:

The game rip is easier for the Mandachord (I think), but the notes aren't quite in the right place. (D D F AB ... but the A and B are below the D/F - and I might have my notes wrong, since my sense of pitch often gets thrown off by things that aren't pianos...). The medley version seems to be B D CA B D A, but I don't think you can make that work on a Mandachord (the literal notes are wrong, but even transposing, the spacing doesn't work).

And then there are a bunch of accidentals that pop up...so yeah. Maybe you'll have more luck with it than me. :S

Still, that medley was pretty nice overall (for me anyways), so I regret nothing!

Thanks for the corroboration, I found a similar version but wasn't sure it was the same thing.

Both the game rip and medley are actually in the same key: Bb minor.  And now that I know what to listen for the same melody is there in both of them.  

It goes Bb - Db - C - Ab, Bb - Db - Ab.  Bb is the tonic.  Db is the mediant.  C is the dreaded supertonic that does not exist on the Mandachord.  Ab is the subtonic, which causes problems because the Mandachord's subtonic is an octave higher relative to its tonic.

The supertonic goes by pretty fast, so we can probably weasel our way around it by replacing it with a repeated mediant.  The subtonic is going to be an issue if we transpose to the Mandachord's normal key of Dm, because we would have to raise it up an octave and ruin the melody line.  However, there's a loophole because the first four bars of the melody don't go above the mediant.  Rather than Dm, we can transpose to Am, where the tonic is the fourth note on the Mandachord rather than the first.  This allows us to fit the melody into the top three notes.  As an added bonus, the "second melody" on the rip version has a part while the main melody rests, which goes high Ab - G - F.  Weasel away the G, transpose into Am, and it fits into the bottom two notes of the Mandachord.  It's a nice way to fill the gap, even if it's lower than the main melody when it should be higher.

The bass line has some supertonic in it as well, but you can generally get a way with a lot more fudging with bass than you can with the melody.  Otherwise, it mostly just repeats on the tonic.

Translating the percussion from old, 8-bit sounding music I usually have to do by intuition.  The fast repeated bass drum part would be annoying on a Mandachord so I moved most of the repetition into the hi-hat.

Final product:

Phantasy Star 4 - PS1 Dungeon Arrange 2: Mandachord (Original)

@KIREEK

On 4/28/2017 at 0:22 PM, NationalGuard5 said:

X) Oh right. I'll give you a different request. Here you go. Sonic Generations: "Gentleman's Rave Party", aka Classic Rooftop Run

I'm pretty sure I've seen this same song at least four or five times under different names.  I can't do the main theme, it's impossible without several notes the Mandachord doesn't have.  

This version, however, has a little tiny section that I can do:

Classic Rooftop Run (Sonic Generations): Mandachord (Original)

On 4/28/2017 at 7:37 PM, (PS4)OnlyAlfredo said:

Do you think you could possibly do either of these songs from Furi? If not I completely understand. 

Can't find anything usable in the first one, and I can't make the second one work.  Sorry.