Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Is Nova A Tenno Warframe?

Ronin666

I like Nova as a concept. (I personally don't have her). But I agree in that Design Council should not have had as much hand in it, especially because of the fact she looks like a female Pillsbury Doughboy.

As far as i remember, the design council only took part at voting the theme of the Warframe, her abilities, and her name. Not her design tho. Therefore her appearance have nothing to do with the design council.

I'm still somewhat disappointed that we don't get to pick the appearance design, there were a couple great design thrown out there, but i guess DE just ran out of time to do all those voting polls. 

dont hate the design council for a design that was community built. if you wanted a say you should have joined the design council. and for the record if the same events and choices had been put up (seeing as i think that will have been the case) and everyone had a say in this frame we still would have gotten the exact same product. go cry elsewhere if you cant handle being in the same remote area as something you dislike

edit: also design council had nothing to do with how she looks, thats all DE.

But we can blame the design council. :o

She is a tenno, her look IMO is simplicity and she's sexy with her helmet. More sexy than Mag.

Already applied 1 forma looking for 3 to make her a real boss...

According to me, the main downside is that she's weak and the most powerful abitiy is complex to use and inefficient with sparse ennemies.

But, anyway, I love her !

Edited by keskejesuis

What's up with Design council not deciding her look? It was a user's concept art highlighted on livestream, it was user's concept art based on.

Are you sure this "User" was not named "Mynki"? Because here's how the antimatter frame came about:

Phase 1: Theme. This had two parts, a sandbox and a voting segment. The sandbox is where people proposed the theme, and then DE chose about five or six themes they liked and had people vote.

Phase 2: Powers. Again, two parts. Sandbox for power submissions, voting for the powers DE liked.

Antimatter frame first look: DE shows us Mynki's concept art for the AM frame. Council members provide feedback, of which all is ignored.

Phase 3: Name. Also two parts. Same deal as the other phases.

Nova preview: A week or so ago we get a preview of Nova's powers - though Wormhole wasn't done at this point. Most of us issued feedback here, generally some variation of "Null Star looks kind of weak."

U9: Nova deploys, people start farming for her.

The problem with Design By Committee is that you'll get boring, homogenized results.  That might be what y'all are complaining about regarding her powers.

Her looks--now isn't this interesting?  Mynki did it on his own and ignored the design council and made a very polarizing warframe.  I can appreciate that.

I agree that it's pretty ugly though. :(

But we can blame the design council. :o

Not fully. The council offered abilities. DE then selected the abilities they wanted us to vote on. From there you can argue all you want for bad decisions. The more I play her the more I realize ok she MAY have some uses that I didn't first see as a DPS frame, but that's about it.

Not fully. The council offered abilities. DE then selected the abilities they wanted us to vote on. From there you can argue all you want for bad decisions. The more I play her the more I realize ok she MAY have some uses that I didn't first see as a DPS frame, but that's about it.

The Council could have realized how poor and wrote the design of the frame was. We already had Mag, we didn't need a porcelain version of her, especially not one that has suck questionable design choices that look ridiculous. No, you're not wholly to blame here, but the community at large really is lacking in taste for just how badly designed the frame is. I'll admit, I didn't like most of Warframe's design early on, but after a while the uniqueness of the organic technology really stuck for me. That said, there's a lot of ugly in the game, and Nova is a prime example of it, and it sticks out when it does. Vauban's v2 helmet ruined by the beret is another example of just outright ludicrous ideas. Come to think of it, so is his space chin on his default.

She does not look cartoony. Her design is completely fine, except for the pony calves and maybe the default helm (Flux helm looks much better though). Imo Mag looks fairly harmless as well, an Ember is a chicken so...

She definitely fits in a lot better than Vauban, who looks like Corpus technology.

The pony calves and the default helm make up a good portion of the frame. The rest of it is sheet white. Essentially, your favourite parts of the frame just plain aren't designed much in the first place. The only sections of Nova that aren't cartoony are just plain lazy. The one good idea she does have going for her is the blasted out part of the chest.

As for her fitting in better than Vauban? No. The fact that we can have frames that start to look like other technology is a good thing. I for one would love more Corpus-derived frames. It'd make the most sense anyway, since they're the ones tinkering around with Tenno technology as much as Lotus is.

And if you'd like to say simplicity is different than lazy design, I'll point you in the direction of Rhino. He's good looking, he's beefy without being silly, he's cleanly-made, but he's got enough intricate design to make him stand out. That is simplicity. Nova is simply lazy. Which brings me to...

She is a tenno, her look IMO is simplicity and she's sexy with her helmet. More sexy than Mag.

This is not how we should be rating warframe aesthetics. It's a combat skin. Not Emma Frost's wardrobe display. I really don't like seeing this being something the fanbase is known for wanting.

I like Nova as a concept. (I personally don't have her). But I agree in that Design Council should not have had as much hand in it, especially because of the fact she looks like a female Pillsbury Doughboy.

*Coughs* Ah-erm.

I'd read into the process a bit more before you start bashing the DC for that (still deserves bashing but not for this).

DC didn't have any hand in what she looked like. What you currently see is what was shown to us as the starting design. We made our 'complaints' and issues known, none were actually taken on board. Many people complained about the ridiculous boots.

Edited by Naith

Before insulting the "Design Council" at least make sure you're not going to make yourself look like an ignorant fool first. DE had the final decisions on which powers and names to choose from our suggestions. We did not even have any input on the actual design (and if we did I can't see anything that was changed).

the design counsil did not design the apearence of nova. it was teh devs, dont blame us......

i like her.

she is not that good in pure offense, because she is weak like vauban, just faster.

but as defense-damage support she is great.

hold the enemys in stase or vortex with vauban, and bomb them away with an antimatter chain reaction.

beautiful

also i dont think that her design is bad

she looks very young because of her smooth armor, not like the typical game-girl with big boobs and big behind.

also she is very fragile.

somehow she reminds me of a small psychic girl. she looks weak and helpless, covers behind big-daddy Rhino...but if she gets angry, you should run as fast as possible

Edited by LazerusKI

Actually the Design Council was totally ignored for the visual design of the frame. We also were given a bad list of moves, 80% of them were explosions and those that were not were weak in concept. I aim to make a thread next week about a redesign to hopefully cement her roll as a DPS-Support.

Ideally what she should do is offer Ability Utility and DPS-Buffs. Molecular Prime is great, it's her only worthwhile skill. Since Wormhole appears to be a self-use only it's nigh worthless. Ability 1 and 2 are trash and only Ability 2 imo has potential. The DC was rather roughshod when it came to abilties. The most input we had was brianstorming then being force-fed a limited vote of "boom, boom, more boom and super boom" be glad the DC managed to get one ability that wasn't an explosion.

While I am not at Endgame* with her she won't work at anything really high level other than for M-Prime. Her kit is lackluster at best kinda like Mag was pre-buff. Not the best frame out there even Ember is better because with Overheat she double's as a "clutch tank"

Are you serious?  Have you even used her?

Null Star may not be as stupidly high dps as Slash & Dash but it works at keeping the riff raff off you up to mid levels.

Currently Antimatter Drop is ridiculous dps if you know how to use it.  Even if you don't know how to use it, it still works well in combo with M Prime.

Wormhole works for anyone as long as you've upgraded it.  Also a great way to get the heck out of Dodge when you start to get overrun.  It seems a little buggy currently, but its a great way to get your team around some of the new crazy Grineer rooms and Void.

Molecular Prime when used in combo with Antimatter Drop makes for some of the heaviest burst I've ever seen.  Wiping entire waves of high level Infested with ease.

She's a glass cannon, so you do have to play keep away as the levels get higher.  Not hard to do that at all with her speed though.

As for her looks, I happen to like the porcelain doll look for the frame, but I can understand how people would dislike it.

You really can't compare Nova to Ember, two very different rolls...pure ranged dps versus close in dps/tank.  In my opinion there are no other pure ranged dps frames, and certainly none that offer type of numbers that this Frame can push out.

As for what happened on the DC?  Not my place to say, I haven't paid for the privilege. Only thing I can say is, ultimately, this is DE's game, not the DC.

Too anime, too cartoony..

Really?

That's an interesting an thought..

When I first saw Nova, she instantly reminded me of Rochelle from Left 4 Dead 2.

Other than the body design, I've no complaints.

Edited by MagnusFury

DO NOT LIKE NOVA. DISLIKE.

1. Reminds me of my little pony.

2. Okay... so Loki Decoy Switch Tele basically... uhm what...

3. Does not suit other Tenno armor styles. Looks like I could ssnap her in half...

4. No visual appeal to play(again my little pony I guess)

5. What does it revel in? CC? DPS? I don't get it.

The two main reasons I don't like her is because 1) Her name is awful. Nova has little to do with antimatter. It's a nuclear explosion.

And 2) She looks awful. Not much more to say than that. 

...urk.

A Nova is what happens when a star 'sorta-explodes'.  It's also one of the few ways to get naturally occurring Antimatter.  (though that might be a Supernova, specifically- when a star "All the way" explodes.)

Yep, pair instability supernovas are caused by the star generating anti-matter.

You can also get anti-matter from Sprites, a kind of high altitude lightning burst.

770px-BigRed-Sprite.jpg

Incidentally Sprite was my suggestion for her name.

Edited by ValhaHazred

Nova looks a lot like a re-skinned Mag to me. 

I like the low sex appeal though. the last thing this game needs is sex appeal. I would quit if that snuck in somehow.

I like Nova, but she's not my favorite frame. I don't fan boy over her. I'm more concerned about Volt, as he is my favorite frame, and I would like to use him as my end game build. Since this thread doesn't involve Volt, I won't get into him.

I think Nova is very good at what she does, and she requires little or no change. I use her first ability while I'm tossing my glaive around, because it adds to my dps. I never used her second or third ability, but Molecular Prime is one of the best ultimates of all the warframes so far.

Appearance wise, I think other warframes would need a tweak way before her. Excalibur for one. I don't like how disproportionate Excalibur is right now. His chest is way too big, and his butt and hips do not exist. He would look way better if he looked more like Hayden Tenno from Dark Sector. That's my opinion that I will stick with. If you don't like it, tough. I do agree that his appearance should change/stay based on if the community agrees with me or not. I just would rather have the main warframe look a little more aesthetically pleasing. He's not as beautiful as Volt or Ember right now.