Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Forma help

LeBronasaurus

Question

I have recently acquired two great weapons that are both potatoed: Dex Sybaris and Akstiletto Prime. However they're both just so, so good - and I only have one forma and limited time. Which one do you think I should forma first? I can upload pictures of my current build tonight, but note that it is not finalized as I am still relatively new to the game (MR6).

EDIT: I decided to go with the Dex, as several of you mentioned primaries should be prioritized over secondaries, the Dex doesn't even have any polarities; and also the Akstiletto doesn't really require as much forma as the Dex does. Plus forma is apparently pretty common. Thanks all!

Edited by LeBronasaurus
Update

20 answers to this question

You could say "yes" to either.

But my personal bias recommends that you forma the akstiletto prime over the dex sybaris.

My build....

Jolt / Scorch / Frostbite / Pistol Pestilence

Primed Pistol Gambit / Primed Target Cracker / Hornet Strike / Seeker

I'm a fan of 100% status and radiation procs on my secondary since I use corrosive+blast on my primary.

The naysayers will tell you that 100% status is overkill because of akstiletto prime's rate of fire, but hey...to each their own.

Edited by (PS4)Magician_NG

Depends on how you play and just what weapon feels right to you. I'm a big Dex Sybaris fan but that's bc I really like being able to pick off people at a deliberate pace vs the rapid more frenetic akstiletto prime. But both are good candidates.  Also you'll end up with more forma than you can count eventually so it's not quite a life and death issue if you end up regretting. 

That depends entirely on whether you like the feel of an automatic weapon or the feel of a marksman rifle.

Personally I'd say the Dex Sybaris, but that's probably because I got a Riven for it that buffs Crit Chance straight through the goddаmn ceiling.

1 hour ago, (PS4)Magician_NG said:

But my personal bias recommends that you forma the akstiletto prime over the dex sybaris.

My build....

I'm a fan of 100% status and radiation procs on my secondary since I use corrosive+blast on my primary.

The naysayers will tell you that 100% status is overkill because of akstiletto prime's rate of fire, but hey...to each their own.

no multishot?..

I'll be honest and say I wouldn't forma anything just yet, even though both weapons can be pretty good to use. 

Yes I know it's controversial but at MR6 the odds are you don't have the mods to fully make use of the forma and in most cases you need more than one forma to make much of a difference.   I don't think I even bothered adding forma to a weapon until I was around MR12....  I suppose the best way of looking at it is this, can you kill stuff with the weapon without one or more forma and would adding a forma really make it much stronger than before (I'm talking about MR fodder here)

Also you've still likely got a LOT of other weapons to come through and you may like that weapon more and end up using it more than the ones you have now.  When I was lower level I used to enjoy using things like the aksomati and later the akstilletto prime but I then got enough syndicate standing to get hold of the vaykor marelok and then later a euphona prime from relics which are more 'high damage single shot' type weapons versus spray and pray of the akstilletto which I've hardly used since.

Also don't forget you'll have to re-level the weapon from scratch for each forma which is annoying at low MR, at higher MR it isn't so bad as the extra mod points you get from higher MR allows you to add a decent amount of mods still. 

Whichever one doesn't fit the mods you want to use.

You should know yourself what to forma because you want to put a mod on something and it doesn't have the capacity available to fit it. Or you want to upgrade the mods you've got installed but no free capacity to upgrade them.

If you're not fighting for capacity yet with the mods you've got then there's no real reason to bother with the forma. 

2 hours ago, (PS4)Magician_NG said:

My build....

I was gonna go for status, but Jolt is 70 plat! What! 

Haha... I actually got Pistol Pestilence and Scorch for 5 plat from some nice man :)

50 minutes ago, (PS4)drpunk-yo said:

Whichever one doesn't fit the mods you want to use.

You should know yourself what to forma because you want to put a mod on something and it doesn't have the capacity available to fit it. Or you want to upgrade the mods you've got installed but no free capacity to upgrade them.

If you're not fighting for capacity yet with the mods you've got then there's no real reason to bother with the forma. 

Struggling to fit mods on both so I'm wondering what'll help me out more 

1 hour ago, LSG501 said:

I'll be honest and say I wouldn't forma anything just yet, even though both weapons can be pretty good to use. 

Yes I know it's controversial but at MR6 the odds are you don't have the mods to fully make use of the forma and in most cases you need more than one forma to make much of a difference.   I don't think I even bothered adding forma to a weapon until I was around MR12....  I suppose the best way of looking at it is this, can you kill stuff with the weapon without one or more forma and would adding a forma really make it much stronger than before (I'm talking about MR fodder here)

Also you've still likely got a LOT of other weapons to come through and you may like that weapon more and end up using it more than the ones you have now.  When I was lower level I used to enjoy using things like the aksomati and later the akstilletto prime but I then got enough syndicate standing to get hold of the vaykor marelok and then later a euphona prime from relics which are more 'high damage single shot' type weapons versus spray and pray of the akstilletto which I've hardly used since.

Also don't forget you'll have to re-level the weapon from scratch for each forma which is annoying at low MR, at higher MR it isn't so bad as the extra mod points you get from higher MR allows you to add a decent amount of mods still. 

Levelling isn't super hard for me, just takes a bit longer, you're right. I actually farm exp on Io - good exp, Oxium, salvage, relic s

15 minutes ago, LeBronasaurus said:

Struggling to fit mods on both so I'm wondering what'll help me out more 

Which one do you use more?

Sybaris kinda cries out for forma with it not having any polarity slots by default.

Thing is they're both pretty damn good.

I might be tempted to go with the Akstilleto cos you must've put your own potato in it so you've already invested in it and therefore you probably like it and will continue to use it.

Ultimately you should be getting plenty more forma as you play more (easily obtainable from void fissures) so I don't think it's worth worrying too much over. What to put potatos on is a much harder decision.

The only real answer I can give is that it's not a waste putting it on either of these guns.

Edited by (PS4)drpunk-yo

3 hours ago, LeBronasaurus said:

I have recently acquired two great weapons that are both potatoed: Dex Sybaris and Akstiletto Prime. However they're both just so, so good - and I only have one forma and limited time. Which one do you think I should forma first? I can upload pictures of my current build tonight, but note that it is not finalized as I am still relatively new to the game (MR6).

sybaris first

34 minutes ago, LeBronasaurus said:

I was gonna go for status, but Jolt is 70 plat! What! 

Haha... I actually got Pistol Pestilence and Scorch for 5 plat from some nice man :)

Yeah, sorry about that, the build I use is fairly high end.  It'll take a good amount of time, endo, and/or maybe plat for you to put it together.  But again, it's the way I like the weapon.  You could go with a less expensive, raw damage build using 90% element mods and multishot mods.

Get more forma. They're pretty easy to come by, after all.

Regardless, I tend to prioritize primary weapons over secondaries. So the Dex Sybaris is a good initial choice (it is a very good gun, if a bit fiddly).

On the other hand, the AkstilettoP is arguably the best secondary in the game and there are few things it can't handle even out of the box. Of course, if you want to use the primed secondary crit mods (and you should on this gun), you're going to need at least 4 forma in it.

Sooooo...which?

Pretty much a judgement call, since both are ultimately going to need multiple forma to reach their potential. I'd just initially go with whichever you use more. Then use it to farm more forma.

3 hours ago, (PS4)drpunk-yo said:

Which one do you use more?

Sybaris kinda cries out for forma with it not having any polarity slots by default.

Thing is they're both pretty damn good.

I might be tempted to go with the Akstilleto cos you must've put your own potato in it so you've already invested in it and therefore you probably like it and will continue to use it.

Ultimately you should be getting plenty more forma as you play more (easily obtainable from void fissures) so I don't think it's worth worrying too much over. What to put potatos on is a much harder decision.

The only real answer I can give is that it's not a waste putting it on either of these guns.

Ok, thanks. I think what I was really asking internally is how obtainable Forma even is and if either of them are worth it. I will most likely forma the Dex because you're right, it comes with no polarities.

2 hours ago, Sloan441 said:

Get more forma. They're pretty easy to come by, after all.

Regardless, I tend to prioritize primary weapons over secondaries. So the Dex Sybaris is a good initial choice (it is a very good gun, if a bit fiddly).

On the other hand, the AkstilettoP is arguably the best secondary in the game and there are few things it can't handle even out of the box. Of course, if you want to use the primed secondary crit mods (and you should on this gun), you're going to need at least 4 forma in it.

Sooooo...which?

Pretty much a judgement call, since both are ultimately going to need multiple forma to reach their potential. I'd just initially go with whichever you use more. Then use it to farm more forma.

I'm going with Dex as it's gonna be a while before I get primed mods. I'm not even sure how to get them, but that's a question for a different thread

2 hours ago, (PS4)Magician_NG said:

Yeah, sorry about that, the build I use is fairly high end.  It'll take a good amount of time, endo, and/or maybe plat for you to put it together.  But again, it's the way I like the weapon.  You could go with a less expensive, raw damage build using 90% element mods and multishot mods.

Yeah, I'm running Lethal Torrent + Barrel Difussion. Serves me well as I'm only on Neptune lol. 

How far away is the endgame from where I am, by the way? 

3 minutes ago, LeBronasaurus said:

I'm going with Dex as it's gonna be a while before I get primed mods. I'm not even sure how to get them, but that's a question for a different thread

Even the regular crit mods tend to eat up a lot of mod energy--and both of these guns are crit-based weapons. The primed crit mods are from Baro, so they'll cost ducats, which will compete with forma selection when using relics.

Ulimately, you'll need to start focusing on farming up forma. This is pretty easy when trace farming, but it and relic farming is something that needs to be done at some point.

On ‎04‎/‎21‎/‎2017 at 0:45 PM, LeBronasaurus said:

Yeah, I'm running Lethal Torrent + Barrel Difussion. Serves me well as I'm only on Neptune lol. 

How far away is the endgame from where I am, by the way? 

Endgame?  Not far really.  Everyone around here defines Warframe's endgame differently.  DE would like players to consider raids and the sortie as the current endgame.  While some veterans consider going over two hours into an endless mission as Warframe's "true" endgame.  Then there are others who consider there to be no true endgame in Warframe.  For them, fashionframe is the be-all-end-all endgame.

corrections