The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Oberon rant.

No this isn't another complaint thread about oberon.  It's a thread complaining about peoples complaints.  d: but seriously it's a real drag.  The big one we will tackle is how there are other frames that some people are calling jack of all trades and how in order to be one you need to be good at all but not a master of none.  Firstly "good" is subjective.  Like really.  And second just because a frame has the ability to do a handful of things doesn't automatically make them a jack of all trades.  In order to be called that, in my humble opinion, you have to not have a focused role.  Nearly every frame out there has a "thing" they are focused into.  Like rhino.  He has the ability with the right setups to be built for CC or be built for tank.  but he's primarily a tank overall.  Where as someone like Oberon doesn't have a defined path.  The other major mistake people are making is comparing oberon's individual things into a 1:1 with a dedicated role.Like.  yeah trinity is going to blow oberon out of the water with heals.  The "thing" with oberon is he brings multiple things to the table.  Being flexible.  In warframe and any other class/hero based game generalist builds will always pale in comparison and be less picked compared to specalists.  Anyway lets get into some of these comparisons:

Equinox) The biggest one that I see brought up the most.  Her heal might scale indef.  but it's burst healing.  or to better put it situational.  Which isn't always better compared to oberon.  Since his is always up due to being a toggle and it's got unlimited range on anyone who was there with the cast.  if the ally was also on hollowed ground that's also a perma increase to all allies ehp regardless of distance.  and an increased bleed out timer.  What about her cc?  Well oberon has 3 sources of potential CC. is 1 which applies puncture for 30% less damage for a small bit effectively increasing his and his teams tanking power by a small amoutn.  Hollowed ground which procs radation based on strength.  and reckoning which is hard CC, applies rad, and can blind.  Where as equinox without an augment has to repeatedly cast the sleep on enemies.  The only area I feel equinox bests oberon is damage.  but tbh you need to build that constantly. Where as oberons is weaker but more accessible.  Something I feel a lot of people miss though with equinox is while you technically bring all of that into a mission you still have to switch forms.  Oberon can do everything he does as is.  She can provide some DR sure.  But that's dependent on range to enemy.  which just flat out isn't better versatility wise compared to how oberon's works.

Inaros) his 1 is really good CC that lets you do finishers.  But that's all it does.  As mentioned before smite does a fair bit of damage over pocket sand.  It applies puncture.  and it can proc rad.  So it's not straight up better compared to inaros's.  it really just depends on what you're looking for.  though as far as team play goes I think oberon's is better.  How about heals?  inaros can actually do this rather nicely.  But it comes at a cost of some of his EHP.  added that you also need an enemy and said enemy needs to be near whoever you're trying to heal.  And heals are no good without power strength.  which is really one thing he doesn't use.  Tanking.  Yes inaros flat out beats oberon here.  But while oberon isn't a tank god he gives himself and his allies basically a perma increase to their EHP regardless of distance.  and other parts of his kit situationally increase survivability either due to the enemy being blinded, rad procced, or smacked with puncture.

Trinity) No damage.  barely any cc if you want to count applying EV.  But she's got amazing heals and really good DR.  like equinox though the heal is burst and the DR is situational versus oberon's constant healing and perma increase to EHP regardless of distance.  And because oberon just has better damage and cc he's bringing more to a mission than trin.  You can argue that an EV build technically opens up the door for some really insane stuff where oberon's other things might not be needed.  But that's not really what we're on about here.  Just waht frames can do themselves.

Nidus) Nidus out does oberon in damage.  Nidus out does oberon in surviving (traditionally.)  and cc is debatable.  But the biggest thing people miss here is...Nidus isn't mobile.  Oberon is.  allies in need of heals won't make it back to your patch in time more than likely.  Nidus needs an enemy for a majority of his survival.  and he NEEDS enemies for his resources and his damage.  Oberon also does.  But to a much less extent.  CC though.  we've already been over oberon's CC.  nidus however.  has the tentacle thing.  but that doesn't effect enemies who are under an aura effect.  Where as oberon proccing radation actually breaks aura effects.

If i've missed a frame that people consider a "jack of all trades" apologies.  But I think i've made my point.  Oberon does something completely unique as far as I know.  that is the ability to remove/immune people to status procs.  Which in my opinion doesn't get enough praise.  I feel like the reason why Oberon is getting pulled around a lot right now is because well.  Everybody wants something different with him.  Because everyone sees him differently.  Which if anything should kind of support the fact that he's a jack.  Also I really feel like there were a lot of people expecting the "rework" to make them like oberon finally.  Even though from the beginning we were told that he wasn't getting a revamp.  he was just essentially being updated to fit in with how things currently are gameplay wise.

It's only when you take account of everything Oberon can do into effect that you can actually see why oberon is "good."  His abilities on their own sound meh.  But together they do a lot.  Mission start.  Pop hollowed ground and renewal.  now until you run out of energy or die you and your team forever have more EHP, constant heals, and a longer bleed out.  Make it to the objective.  Drop hollowed ground as a choke point.  some enemies get rad procced so you thin out the approaching enemy mass by some.  They end up hurting eachother which is free damage for you.  But some get by and they proc toxin on you and your friends.  You drop another hollow point at your feet to rid your team of it.  but at that point you are surrounded.  Some of these guys are heavy units.  some are hit with radation due to your strength investment and hollow paying off.  You cast smite for a breather and do a good bit of damage due to the enemies being radiated. The heavy unit is alive but now has 30% less armor.  but to be safe you smack him with smite and finish off the fodder.  he's now also punctured which means your team will probably live since he's doing reduced damage.  See?

Also please don't bring up forced dependency VS "actual synergy."  Because a) that implies oberon's abilities are terrible on their own.  And as i've been going through this entire post essentially saying that isn't the case.  and b) the only "actual" case that can be made here is now you need to cast renewal on hollow to get armor.  where as hollow gave armor on it's own pre rework.  but woah there.  That value wasn't effected by any stats you had influence over.  it was based off of the frames armor.  It was basically useless.  While you're forced to do this combo now the armor IS effected by stats.  and it leaves with you when you get off the point.  and stays on you so long as broberon has energy.  much.  better.

I want to close this thread out by saying That I don't enjoy Oberon in the slightest.  Never have.  Never will.  I prefer playing people who are really good at one thing than someone being able to do many things.  However.  I recognize oberon's power and his uses.  If you're the type of person who always plays meta.  Who always uses the best thing at the time you're probably asking "why should I ever take him on a mission over x frame?" the legit answer is because he brings several things in a neat friendly package that other specific frames might have are restricted in some fashion.  But the answer to that kind of player is well.  there isn't one.  If you play like that you're never going to experience or enjoy other things because of what you desire when you play.  Something doesn't have to be god tier to be mission worthy.  And even though I don't enjoy oberon I think it's kind of neat that in almost any other situation you're forcing the game to behave in such a way that works for your setup.  But oberon works with whatever situation the game hands him and his team.

anyway end rant.

Just now, CeePee said:

Sadly the rant changes anything, people want Oberon to be things he's not. Currently he's good, but needs his numbers tweaked a bit.

I am agree with it but he does no need too big tweaks but some reasonable one to be viable.

37 minutes ago, CeePee said:

Sadly the rant changes anything, people want Oberon to be things he's not. Currently he's good, but needs his numbers tweaked a bit.

I think you meant to put nothing. and yeah.  he's not perfect.  they could still make some tweaks to him  but he's not the dumpster fire a lot of people seem to be making him out as post rework.

37 minutes ago, Sziklamester said:

I am in my workplace so I wont read this wot. But when ai get home I will make a try.

appreciate it~

8 minutes ago, bluepheonix13 said:

Meta complaints (complaints about people complaining) are not welcome on the forums. 

Also, removing/immunity to status procs is not unique, Nezha and Titania can do the same. Just a side remark. 

Is it strictly against the forum rules? -shrug- I believe it's fine as it;s not a call out thread.  and it's constructive.  also thanks for that last bit. though If I remember correctly both frames that do that are clunky at doing so.  where as Oberon's is easy access.

6 minutes ago, (PS4)maso_sage-mode said:

oberon is good for credits, not more. I still have no idea why its still in the game lol

That's like.  your opinion man.

I know Oberon has been re-work but I'm usually not interested unless there a Prime version of him. Because with a  Prime version usually  have more better stat and polarity then it's normal non counter part.

5 minutes ago, Tamirn said:

I know Oberon has been re-work but I'm usually not interested unless there a Prime version of him. Because with a  Prime version usually  have more better stat and polarity then it's normal non counter part.

I'm hoping his prime has a bigger energy pool and "slightly" more armor.  crosses fingers

39 minutes ago, (Xbox One)Knight Raime said:

Is it strictly against the forum rules? -shrug- I believe it's fine as it;s not a call out thread.  and it's constructive.  

The forums are for discussing Warframe-related things, so I guess it falls under

"6) COMPLAINTS – We will not tolerate inappropriate [..] complaints posted on the Forums. "

All I can tell you is that threads have been closed/deleted many times for meta complaints. I agree that your post also has constructive arguments, but the way it is written can trigger some ComMods.

also thanks for that last bit. though If I remember correctly both frames that do that are clunky at doing so.  where as Oberon's is easy access.

Nezha cleanses by people walking in his trail of fire, which can be a bit clumsy at times, I agree. He can also prevent procs by casting his warding halo on allies with the augment though.

But Titania on the other hand only needs to cast her 1 in the direction of allies and they are cleansed and immune for a set duration.

Edited by bluepheonix13
premature send

1 hour ago, .Sadness said:

People cry about frames, people cry about people cry. simply a casual day in Warframe's community.

Are you complaining about someone in the warframe community complaining about the warframe community that complains about oberon?  

that's meta.

48 minutes ago, (PS4)maso_sage-mode said:

oberon is good for credits, not more. I still have no idea why its still in the game lol

took a dual oberon combination 100min in a uranus survival.  I'd say he works as intended and can be up there with other primary supports and secondary cc frames.

3 minutes ago, -NvO-Venom said:

Are you complaining about someone in the warframe community complaining about the warframe community that complains about oberon?  

that's meta.

Are you complaining about him now? There you go, another layer.

Sorry for going off-topic, couldn't resist.

5 hours ago, (Xbox One)Knight Raime said:

No this isn't another complaint thread about oberon.  It's a thread complaining about peoples complaints.  

Which is non-constructive and gets locked really fast. And it also keeps the fires up and running when they might have died.

Firstly "good" is subjective.  Like really.

'Enjoyable' is subjective. 'Good' is not, because you can objectively measure how refined the frame is in accomplishing its tasks. Nidus is good, nothing subjective about it. He survives well enough, does damage well enough. You see?

And second just because a frame has the ability to do a handful of things doesn't automatically make them a jack of all trades.  In order to be called that, in my humble opinion, you have to not have a focused role.  Nearly every frame out there has a "thing" they are focused into.  Like rhino.  He has the ability with the right setups to be built for CC or be built for tank.  but he's primarily a tank overall.  Where as someone like Oberon doesn't have a defined path.  The other major mistake people are making is comparing oberon's individual things into a 1:1 with a dedicated role.

Why am I getting an AGGP vibe here lol. I don't know if the topic was made after seeing his video but just felt like mentioning it.

Like.  yeah trinity is going to blow oberon out of the water with heals.  The "thing" with oberon is he brings multiple things to the table.  Being flexible.  In warframe and any other class/hero based game generalist builds will always pale in comparison and be less picked compared to specalists.  Anyway lets get into some of these comparisons:

Equinox) The biggest one that I see brought up the most.  Her heal might scale indef.  but it's burst healing.  or to better put it situational.

It is also hard to maintain, no? Lets not forget how draining Oberon's heal is, yeah?

Which isn't always better compared to oberon.  Since his is always up due to being a toggle and it's got unlimited range on anyone who was there with the cast.  if the ally was also on hollowed ground that's also a perma increase to all allies ehp regardless of distance.  and an increased bleed out timer.  What about her cc?  Well oberon has 3 sources of potential CC. is 1 which applies puncture for 30% less damage for a small bit effectively increasing his and his teams tanking power by a small amoutn.

I think we both know that puncture proc is gone too soon to really matter. See, Equinox can consistenly slow her enemies down AND give you more DR. That's much better CC and support than Oberon.

Hollowed ground which procs radation based on strength.  and reckoning which is hard CC, applies rad, and can blind.

Let's not pretend the blind is a part of the cc, because it lasts for 5s while you recover from the animation for 4, so by the time you're ready to do something they're not blinded again. Radiation is a nice CC, I'll give you that.

Where as equinox without an augment has to repeatedly cast the sleep on enemies.  The only area I feel equinox bests oberon is damage.  but tbh you need to build that constantly. Where as oberons is weaker but more accessible.  Something I feel a lot of people miss though with equinox is while you technically bring all of that into a mission you still have to switch forms.  Oberon can do everything he does as is.  She can provide some DR sure.  But that's dependent on range to enemy.  which just flat out isn't better versatility wise compared to how oberon's works.

Equinox is also versatile, just in a different way than Oberon is. If you go back to the older Devstreams, you'll hear that she was designed to shine with players who knew when to use what form on the go. You see what you're doing here? The same thing you're criticizing people for doing. You're comparing a dedicated support frame to Oberon. The reason she is brought up so much is because her overlap with him is much larger than the others.

Inaros) his 1 is really good CC that lets you do finishers.  But that's all it does.

Um....it also blinds enemies in a nice, wide cone. And can be recast to much greater effect than smite. It's better CC for cheaper and because it just stops them shooting or doing whatever the hek they were doing. Pair a good weapon and enemy scaling does not affect you in the slightest. Let us also not forget it affects more enemies than smite ever could, shall we?

As mentioned before smite does a fair bit of damage over pocket sand.  It applies puncture.  and it can proc rad.  

Straight up? Yeah. But damage potential and scaling is still better than Smite because it lasts longer, completely shuts down finishers and also heals. Stoping an enemy outright is far better than a proc that just removes 30% dmg, for a very, very short time, no?

So it's not straight up better compared to inaros's.  it really just depends on what you're looking for.  though as far as team play goes I think oberon's is better.

How? Inaros lets his team rest completely easy and potentially insta kill them.

How about heals?  inaros can actually do this rather nicely.  But it comes at a cost of some of his EHP.

Negligible, because you mostly only need to cast it once, and it's CC will completely shut down the map if you cast it right. The healing you get negate the cost of picking his ehp right back up.

added that you also need an enemy and said enemy needs to be near whoever you're trying to heal.

This is a hit and a miss. True, Inaros needs a target, but you are likely to need healing in the heat of combat with plenty nearby. Depending on number of eemies you not only outheal Oberon but also put the enture mob on CC for your team to make mincemeat out of. If ally is that far out of range, they would have gone down anyway be it Oberon or any other healing frame. Stick with the team.

And heals are no good without power strength.  which is really one thing he doesn't use.  Tanking.  Yes inaros flat out beats oberon here.  But while oberon isn't a tank god he gives himself and his allies basically a perma increase to their EHP regardless of distance.  and other parts of his kit situationally increase survivability either due to the enemy being blinded, rad procced, or smacked with puncture.

This is not really true, because depending on the number of enemies you hit, you will compensate for the power str by sheer number of healing targets. It is also not hard to fit in a str mod to offset some of that, and for much less expensive setups than what Oberon needs.

Again, why are you comparing Oberon with a dedicated CC healer-tank? Wait, who does that sound like....I joke, but you must see just how close they come. If they weren't separate by targeted healing they would pretty much be head to head.

Sandstorm is also great CC, you know? You can be a meatshield for your allies, completely disrupt and ragdoll enemies in an entire room, and also insta kill them if you have a pit nearby.

Trinity) No damage.  barely any cc if you want to count applying EV.  But she's got amazing heals and really good DR.  like equinox though the heal is burst and the DR is situational versus oberon's constant healing and perma increase to EHP regardless of distance.  And because oberon just has better damage and cc he's bringing more to a mission than trin.  You can argue that an EV build technically opens up the door for some really insane stuff where oberon's other things might not be needed.  But that's not really what we're on about here.  Just waht frames can do themselves.

People don't compare him to trin, they compare his heals to trin's. True, it's burst healing, but with the DR she's able to get you and the energy, and the health, you can really not stand up to her potential. No frame can.

Nidus) Nidus out does oberon in damage.  Nidus out does oberon in surviving (traditionally.)  and cc is debatable.  But the biggest thing people miss here is...Nidus isn't mobile.  Oberon is.  allies in need of heals won't make it back to your patch in time more than likely.  Nidus needs an enemy for a majority of his survival.  and he NEEDS enemies for his resources and his damage.  Oberon also does.  But to a much less extent.  CC though.  we've already been over oberon's CC.  nidus however.  has the tentacle thing.  but that doesn't effect enemies who are under an aura effect.  Where as oberon proccing radation actually breaks aura effects.

You were going fine until you started talking about Nidus' cc...Nidus doesn't need CC, but if he does, he has his maggots, and his tentacles. If you want to talk about how inconsistent they are, same can be said of rad procs as cc.

If i've missed a frame that people consider a "jack of all trades" apologies.  But I think i've made my point.  Oberon does something completely unique as far as I know.  that is the ability to remove/immune people to status procs.  Which in my opinion doesn't get enough praise.  I feel like the reason why Oberon is getting pulled around a lot right now is because well.  Everybody wants something different with him.  Because everyone sees him differently.  Which if anything should kind of support the fact that he's a jack.  Also I really feel like there were a lot of people expecting the "rework" to make them like oberon finally.  Even though from the beginning we were told that he wasn't getting a revamp.  

We were, tbh, told he was getting a rework and that's it in the beginning. If they'd said just a touch up people would never have gotten their hopes up.

Again, I am getting a lot of AGGP's video from here.

he was just essentially being updated to fit in with how things currently are gameplay wise.

It's only when you take account of everything Oberon can do into effect that you can actually see why oberon is "good."  His abilities on their own sound meh.  But together they do a lot.  Mission start.  Pop hollowed ground and renewal.  now until you run out of energy or die you and your team forever have more EHP, constant heals, and a longer bleed out.  Make it to the objective.  Drop hollowed ground as a choke point.  some enemies get rad procced so you thin out the approaching enemy mass by some.  They end up hurting eachother which is free damage for you.  But some get by and they proc toxin on you and your friends.  You drop another hollow point at your feet to rid your team of it.  but at that point you are surrounded.  Some of these guys are heavy units.  some are hit with radation due to your strength investment and hollow paying off.  You cast smite for a breather and do a good bit of damage due to the enemies being radiated. The heavy unit is alive but now has 30% less armor.  but to be safe you smack him with smite and finish off the fodder.  he's now also punctured which means your team will probably live since he's doing reduced damage.  See?

Until you run out of energy? Maybe your teammates kill everything before enemies hit you for rage and give you energy back? Maybe all that hallowed ground casting is running your energy stores dry? 

Also please don't bring up forced dependency VS "actual synergy."  Because a) that implies oberon's abilities are terrible on their own.

Nonononono, that's not what forced synergy means. Forced synergy means to get the benefit out of something you have to use something else with it, instead of each one being fine on their own and fitting together like a jugsaw when used together. For example, Nidus 1,2 and 4. On their own, perfectly fine. Neither needs the other. But 2 can make using 1 easier, and 1 and 2 can work with 4 to stack easier, deal more dmg to more enemies quickly. Whereas for oberon, if you don't have a hallowed ground on, you don't get armor from renewal, a key part of its benefit, and armor stripping for reckoning which makes it another press 4 to deal damage ability with some rad proc sprinkles.

And as i've been going through this entire post essentially saying that isn't the case.  and b) the only "actual" case that can be made here is now you need to cast renewal on hollow to get armor.  where as hollow gave armor on it's own pre rework.  but woah there.  That value wasn't effected by any stats you had influence over.  it was based off of the frames armor.  It was basically useless.  While you're forced to do this combo now the armor IS effected by stats.  and it leaves with you when you get off the point.  and stays on you so long as broberon has energy.  much.  better.

Benefit is better, but not the way to get it.  Also your entire post has been about how Oberon isn't like other frames, not why his abilities aren't forced synergy. Energyak is precisely the problem, because casting hallowed ground and renewal that takes energy to cast, maintain and heal is too expensive.

I want to close this thread out by saying That I don't enjoy Oberon in the slightest.  Never have.  Never will.  I prefer playing people who are really good at one thing than someone being able to do many things.  However.  I recognize oberon's power and his uses.  If you're the type of person who always plays meta.  Who always uses the best thing at the time you're probably asking "why should I ever take him on a mission over x frame?" the legit answer is because he brings several things in a neat friendly package that other specific frames might have are restricted in some fashion.  But the answer to that kind of player is well.  there isn't one.  If you play like that you're never going to experience or enjoy other things because of what you desire when you play.  Something doesn't have to be god tier to be mission worthy.  And even though I don't enjoy oberon I think it's kind of neat that in almost any other situation you're forcing the game to behave in such a way that works for your setup.  But oberon works with whatever situation the game hands him and his team.

anyway end rant.

I like Oberon. I don't think he needs major changes, but he does need some. He is 'fine' does not mean he can't be better. I also do not see why buffs can be detrimental to how Oberon is. Like, Oberon mains, how is an increase to his power pool going to wreck your playstyle? 

What I got from this thread was incoherent rambling, most of which I find influenced from other sources. What were you trying to accomplish? I'm sorry if I sound confrontational here, but you're doing exactly you're blaming other for doing. 

Oberon can be made to work now, with expensive mods and a lot of contrivance. He is even somewhat good. But he still needs more tuning. Let us not just sit on 'fine' and shut of further communication. Let people state what they want for him, and DE can make sense of that.

That is all.

7 hours ago, bluepheonix13 said:

The forums are for discussing Warframe-related things, so I guess it falls under

"6) COMPLAINTS – We will not tolerate inappropriate [..] complaints posted on the Forums. "

All I can tell you is that threads have been closed/deleted many times for meta complaints. I agree that your post also has constructive arguments, but the way it is written can trigger some ComMods.

Nezha cleanses by people walking in his trail of fire, which can be a bit clumsy at times, I agree. He can also prevent procs by casting his warding halo on allies with the augment though.

But Titania on the other hand only needs to cast her 1 in the direction of allies and they are cleansed and immune for a set duration.

I see.  well i'll keep that in min for the future.  and thanks for the referesher.

6 hours ago, (PS4)robotwars7 said:

there's a word for that: Metacomplaint.

and it's just as bad, if not worse than a regular complaint, so you shouldn't do it.

I was more so being playful there.  But someone else already qued me in on this.  I think it won't be locked due to the constructive way it's written.  but i'll be weary in the future.