Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

How bad is Kavat farming?

(PSN)LordZezrel

Question

13 answers to this question

If you've not done the Sands of Inaros quest there is a part of that where having a Warframe that can put large numbers to sleep and leisurely scan them will help with getting kavat DNA.

Otherwise I think the least frustrating method is to get a Heliocor and just go full on melee in the Derelicts, as long as your team mates aren't after scans at the same time...

There's also occasional alerts for 5 at a time but they do seem rare so waiting for that will take patience.

More info here: http://warframe.wikia.com/wiki/Kavat_Genetic_Code

If you can get one of the one in a million kavat alerts that'll help your farming greatly, but using something like the Synoid Heliocor or Normal Heliocor helps because you can just melee them and get the codes, otherwise, frames like Vauban can help make the easier to scan without them moving around. The farm tbh is pretty bad, the codes drop on a 15% chance from each kitty in a mission, Orokin Derelict, and each mission can spawn four cats I believe, depending on your squad size also changes how many cats there are.

I half farmed, half bought my genetic codes, and TBH the farm for them is pretty boring, but 50 is a lot to spend on something to get one cat IMO.

Your first cat is going to be a problem, since you'll need double the DNA fragments - first to build the incubator upgrade, then to spawn the cat itself, that's 20 total.

Afterwards it's 10 per cat. 

If you have the Cross-Matrix Widget from Simaris, it's not too bad, I'd say, ~around 1 hour tops to get 10 segments, much less if you're lucky. If you don't have the Widget... Go get it right now :D

One of the methods to do it solo is stocking up on Derelict Survival keys, then entering the mission and searching the immediate area (before you hack the console) for stray Kavats. Chances are, a pair of them are going to be right there, and if you're lucky enough to proc Cross-Matrix on both of them, that's four DNA fragments in one go. Don't count on it tho, usually it's 1-2 fragments or none at all. To save time, if the starting room has no Kavats, or you fail to get any DNA from them, abort the mission and restart - only proceed if you got some DNA before hacking the console.

Counting retries, that's 50 minutes of ODS in the worst case scenario (1 fragment per run) plus the time spent loading. With any luck, it's less. 

Edited by Reifnir

15 minutes ago, Diarmut said:

If you can get one of the one in a million kavat alerts that'll help your farming greatly, but using something like the Synoid Heliocor or Normal Heliocor helps because you can just melee them and get the codes, otherwise, frames like Vauban can help make the easier to scan without them moving around. The farm tbh is pretty bad, the codes drop on a 15% chance from each kitty in a mission, Orokin Derelict, and each mission can spawn four cats I believe, depending on your squad size also changes how many cats there are.

I half farmed, half bought my genetic codes, and TBH the farm for them is pretty boring, but 50 is a lot to spend on something to get one cat IMO.

I never really had a problem scanning them as I'm using the slow sentinel weapon, if anything its the derp teammates I have who one shot or hysteria everything(making valkyr users like myself look bad) even after I told them what we were doing.

as for the melee scan well I don't have either of the heliocors, and i find the semaris faction scanning to be tedious

I might wait till I max suda before i get them i guess I just cant believe how they set up kavats, its such a pain to make keys just to farm for a companion

4 minutes ago, ashrah said:

just buy cat  in trade....

you can get it in trade?!!

Edited by (PS4)LordZezrel

4 minutes ago, (PS4)LordZezrel said:

I never really had a problem scanning them as I'm using the slow sentinel weapon, if anything its the derp teammates I have who one shot or hysteria everything(making valkyr users like myself look bad) even after I told them what we were doing.

as for the melee scan well I don't have either of the heliocors, and i find the semaris faction scanning to be tedious

I might wait till I max suda before i get them i guess I just cant believe how they set up kavats, its such a pain to make keys just to farm for a companion

you can get it in trade?!!

yes u can   they are  cheap really... i saw some 20-30p

On PC it was bad enough soon after they were first released, after the drop rates were increased, when you had recruiting full of people looking for groups specifically for kavat farming, and you could get 4 vaubans together, with full groups to make more spawn per mission.

Now?

Typical Warframe grind-fest.

8 minutes ago, ashrah said:

yes u can   they are  cheap really... i saw some 20-30p

You can get Kavat *imprints* in trade, not the Kavat itself. They only influence the way it looks when you breed it, and do nothing for the cost.

Even if you have them, it still requires all the genetic codes it would normally take to bake a cat.

Edited by TrickshotMcGee

34 minutes ago, Katinka said:

If you've not done the Sands of Inaros quest there is a part of that where having a Warframe that can put large numbers to sleep and leisurely scan them will help with getting kavat DNA.

Pretty sure that got patched a little while ago..... DE says they're 'reducing the grind' but patches EVERYTHING that makes life easier for us....not sure if it's been done on consoles though.

As to getting the dna... When they first came out getting dna was near on impossible, after the update still wasn't great but it was doable with a LOT of patience, now I just grab the 5 dna when I see them and have about 40 of dna scans sitting there in case they ever bring out another one..... I don't exactly need any now, got 5 kavats of different styles etc so I'm good there lol

It's waaay easier now than when Kavats were originally added, because DE listened to the complaints for the ludicrously low initial chances, plus the Heliocor is also a thing now. A few Derelict Exterminate runs and you'll have all your genetic codes easily. Just make sure to get the Sol widget for your synthesis scanners or stock up on a lot of them, Feral Kavats are hardy bastards.