Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Best Tank?

(PSN)Qanzuko

Question

15 answers to this question

Inaros probably wins in surviving the longest. Likewise, Chroma would need to more attention to his 2 abilities, just as Nidus. Nidus can just die straight up in the beginning of high level tier if you dont build stacks fast. Really gameplay is all it comes to and ofcourse what weapons can compliment each

1.Wukong(with rage mod = inifnite duration for defy = unkillable. though at some points you need to reset his defy when you start getting very low health when you "die")

2.Inaros (unkillable with rage mod)

I haven't played chroma a lot, and haven't even leveled him up in PC.

3. Rhino( yes you read it right, Rhino with Iron sharpnel & Ferrox combination is extremely tanky).

Atlas is a bit tanky but his ability just don't scale end game wise.

Valkyr can be tank with her hysteria but it limits to melee only which I don't like.

Edited by PsychicWarlock
added valkyr

1 hour ago, ConzyFTW said:

Wukong without a doubt, trumps all other tanks because he literally is unkillable.

Yes but he is not a tank if a nully hits hit and turns off defy he is dead, he has lower armor and hp compared to the real tanks.

As someone who does 2h+ Solo endurance runs I can say...

Nekros, Nidus, Trinity are the most reliable tanks.

Other less reliable tanks would be...

Perma Hyseria, Wukong, Inaros, Mesa, Chroma. Rhino.

Nekros, Trinity and Nidus have non-armor damage reduction which gives them the most reliable damage reduction. Nekros and Nidus have good CC and distraction with nice HP/s while Trinity has massive HP/s but poor CC.

Other tanks have deficiencies which doesn't make them bad at taking damage it just gives them a weakness you have to compensate for.

Perma Hyseria requires an Energize set and high kill rate, Wukong relies on his 12s invulnerable phase, he will proc instantly when the invulnerable wears off forcing you to reapply defy every minute or so which can kill him, esp if an energy drain eximus shows up. Inaros relies more on his CC than his ability to take damage, Nullifiers will give him a serious problem later in levels. Mesa gets crushed by Radial damage but is otherwise very tanky, Chroma has a flaw in his Vex armor in that it does not give him armor until damage is resolved which means after re-applying Vex he can get one shot with full Hp/Shields if an enemy does enough damage in one hit. Rhino technically has no weakness, it's just more difficult to manage his eHP compared to the others.

Of the frames you mentioned Nidus will survive the longest, esp if there are Nullifiers around.

All of the frames I've mentioned can do 2h+ runs however unless you're doing T4.

2 minutes ago, (Xbox One)CFE Jackipanda said:

There's not really a "best" since all of them are amazing. But my personal favorite would have to be Chroma with an Ice build. He has great survivability if you know how to mod him correctly. 

This ^^^^

Not only he is tanky, he is also capable of doing great damage from his vex armor.

Hell sorties survival eximus stronghold lv 100 feels like doing a lv 30 survival with chroma

1 hour ago, ConzyFTW said:

Wukong without a doubt, trumps all other tanks because he literally is unkillable.

Indeed. Wukong is imo the best tank as well. Not only does Defy make him literally unkillable, he can also reset it safely by flying away to a quiet spot with the help of Cloud Walker (with Zenurik -> Turn of Defy during Cloud Walker and you can regen energy while completely unharmable. He is pretty broken...). Innately he is somewhat durable too, which helps. Only true weakness of Wukong is losing your energy (very possible with Parasitc / Energy Leech Eximus around) and Nullifiers, so without energy / the ability to cast Defy, he is very killable. Only place I thus wouldn't use him is in Eximus Infested sorties (Corpus missions with a high density of Nullifiers can be a bit annoying too, but not impossible with a bit of awareness).
Another downside; He is quite boring. Defy is his bread and butter, Cloud Walker is very situational, Primal Fury is geneally a waste of energy (I use Orthos Prime as my main melee weapon...) and Iron Jab is even more of a waste of energy.
Further note: Covert Lethality dagger works quite well on Wukong, due to his #3 being able to open up enemies for finishers, so killing finisher-able enemies is then never a problem for him.

Valkyr is also unkillable if played right, but energy is even more of an issue than on Wukong, and weaponrestrictions can hamper her quite a bit. Her damage compensates for that a lot though (those Hysteria slideattacks are quite insane). If not using Hysteria (but rather Warcry for more stat-based tanking) beware of fighting Corpus; A lot of their damage bypasses a whole bunch of armor, so she is still quite frail against them, despite her very powerful attributes.
Further note: While a Covert Lethality dagger works "eh" for Valkyr-builds (unless you simply make the dagger a statstick built for her Hysteria, Covert Lethality aside), it still is a decent choice for Valkyr (due to Paralysis), as killing finisher-able enemies would then never be a problem for her.

Rhino can also be unkillable if using Iron Shrapnel correctly (using Iron Skins invulnerability timer wisely, that is). Takes far more effort to tank with though, but with some decent awareness and useage of Rhino Stomp etc, he is ok as a lategame tank. While not the best of the tanks (unless played with high awareness + Iron Shrapnel), his CC more than makes up for it, and all his abilities have uses at lategame play.

Nidus can definitely be unkillable too (via his passive), along with being innately tanky and having great tank-aiding skills (#3 and #4 helps a lot). He requires quite a bit of buildup though for his full potential, and has more "location-anchored" style than the others due to how his skillset works. Highly recommend for long runs with small areas (like Defense), but not so much for short and mobile missions (like Exterminate). Energy is generally not an issue for him either, especially not when there are plenty of enemies to attack with his #1 (plus Rage works really well on him). He also works really well on any weapon-restricted sorties, since he pretty much never has to use them anyway (pretty much only for stuff like Nullifier bubbles).

Inaros is simply tanky by being having very high base stats, but he is not truly unkillable (unless locking himself into his Devour-ability, but that doesn't necessarily get him out of the situation). Energy is never really a problem for him though (Rage covers all issues) so sustaining himself CC-ing with his  cheap #1 / #4 to lifesteal is pretty much always available. Due to how he works, he is the tank I'd highly recommend for the annoying Eximus Infested sorties.
However, somewhat similar to Valkyr; take a bit of care against Corpus due to how their damage bypasses armor, meaning his decent armor won't help him all that much against them.
Further note: Covert Lethality dagger works perfectly on Inaros, due to his #1 being his bread and butter anyway, so killing finisher-able enemies is never a problem for him. Imo, the best tank of them all to use a CL-dagger with.

Chroma is very tanky, quite a bit so innately, but insanely much so via Vex Armor (and Ice Elemental Ward). However, he requires quite a significant breathing room between fights (to regen his shields for Vex Armor to work properly) and/or has to use Brief Respite. Also, similar to Inaros, he is not truly unkillable. But his tankiness via Vex Armor is probably the highest in the entire game, and it brings a lot of damageboosting with it too. However, similar to Valkyr; beware of fighting Corpus due to how their damage bypasses a whole bunch of armor, so he is still somewhat frail against them, despite his very powerful armor.
In my very personal opinion, I really don't like Chroma's tanking style. I find it too unreliable for my own tastes (and since he only really has two and a half useful abilities, he is also quite boring for me).

Take your pick, depending on your definition of "long end game runs", which faction you're facing and what mission you are running.

My general recommended pick would be Wukong, as long as I know energy / Nullifiers is not gonna be a huge issue and if I bring good weapons with me, because he can be immortal (via Defy / Cloud Walker) while still killing unlimitedly high level enemies with a Covert Lethality dagger + Cloud Walker, both at the same time.

Edited by Azamagon

7 hours ago, (PS4)Surazaku said:

Yes but he is not a tank if a nully hits hit and turns off defy he is dead, he has lower armor and hp compared to the real tanks.

that's true for a nully hitting any "tank"

To the OP, its really about what you want from a tank and how you like to play. Azamagon does a pretty good job of explaing the differences between them.

1. Nidus

2. Rhino (If you have ever looked at his abilities section with his iron skin activated with ONLY INTENSIFY MOD he has 5k+ health from iron skin and his own 1k overall health and shield combined. Inaros has 4-5k rhino has 6k and if you group enemies and ironclad charge them and use at least 200 power strength then you get 200k+ health. Which nor chroma or inaros comes close. Also he has 3 seconds of invulnerability which takes scaling damage from enemy. Simply easier to use tank than Nidus but second best tank)

3. Inaros 

4. Chroma

Noone else? K, then i'll go ahead and list the odd puppies, essencially the frames that don't look it at first glance but shine in reallity...

Excellent tanks are also:

*Oberon - His self healing paired with the extra armor is savage as can be. We're talking about inaros type of armor with a kinda auto-pilot for self sustain. Spreads lots of dot damage and Cc too while beein able to standalone ripp armor and do percentuall damage.

*Nezha - shares his ward with rhino on a kit that got a bigger focus on Cc. 

*Frost - Icy Avalance provides you with a ward as well, next to the obvious Cc and globe protection, all while you're constantly spreading Cc. Just be aware that freezing doesn't allow status. Especially important while playing in groups that may have theyr weapons focused on slash.

If its for the raw survival, rather then the ability to eat damage, consider invisibility frames too. The best of the bunch, especially for solo play is ash who combines endgame worthy damage and aoe(! only frame to do so) with a perfect kit to trigger any type of invisibility the game provides, starting from naramon invisibility (profits from and provides combo), over trickery invisibility (does finisher damage) up to his own ability invisibility (nice safety net, resets stealth multipliers on use)

That aside, everything the others have named.

Wukong. I like playing with him for endless survival. Always get highest damage dealt and never die.

I test many times and currently use the following 2 builds which are best suitable for Wukong. Just keep in mind Arcane Avenger, Arcane Energize, Adarza Kavat and Shadow Step for best usage.

P.S. Add me in game for endless relic survival if you wish :D I am also on PS4.

Wukong Build:

http://warframe-builder.com/Warframes/Builder/Wukong/t_30_3400242020_2-1-10-3-8-5-49-5-10-55-3-5-59-2-3-411-4-10-479-6-10-481-0-10-615-9-5-746-7-3_481-7-2-6-59-9-55-11-411-8-49-8-479-7-746-9-3-18-615-9_0/en/1-0-41/134331/0

War for Primal Fury Build:

http://warframe-builder.com/Melee_Weapons/Builder/War/t_30_232000004_239-3-5-241-7-5-251-6-5-303-8-3-486-1-10-488-2-10-531-5-5-733-0-10-796-4-3_733-7-486-6-488-7-239-9-796-5-531-11-251-11-241-11-303-10/en/4-0-93/134334/0

Edited by (PS4)GDSKP