Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Elemental dmg / status difference

Dreaper23

Question

So, I never really thought about this before now, but I've gotten a little curious..

What is the difference between having elemental damage on a weapon with low/no status, vs having it on a weapon with high status?

10 answers to this question

One important thing to note is damage modifier Vs armor types. Corrosive's +75% Vs. Ferrite and Radiation's +75% Vs. Alloy allow these elements to not only gain a bonus in damage but ignore 75% of the enemy's armor value. This become Important for slow firing weapons with low status chance. Since Radiation will generally work better against alloy and Corrosive Vs Ferrite simply because they're ignoring armor values. On higher status or more quick firing weapons Corrosive's status effect  to reduce an enemy's current armor value by 25% will allow this damage type to always be superior in terms of scaling against both armor types.

Gas is a highly status based Damage type and is otherwise of little value without the status to back it up.

Viral has a greater potency when it procs status early. If your first proc lands the effective damage you deal is doubled and reduces in effect the lower and enemy's HP gets before the status effect kicks in.

Other than that the rest is just simple modifiers or CC effects which can be viewed here:  http://warframe.wikia.com/wiki/Damage_2.0

Elemental damage is always applied, regardless of status chance, so the only difference is that the special effect doesn't proc as often.

For example, a Radiation+Corrosive Detron is still doing both types of damage, and thus still getting the appropriate damage bonuses against both Ferrite Armor and Alloy Armor, but isn't going to be proccing the confusion or armor shred reliably no matter what you do. A Radiation+Corrosive Tysis, on the other hand, does less on-paper damage even accounting for bonuses last I checked, but will proc the armor shred and/or confusion on every shot with the appropriate mods.

Ok so a follow up question, since I have always been bad at figuring out stuff like this :) Usually I just shoot..

Toxin, for example: The Toxin b Toxin status effect is Poison, which deals 50% of your weapon or power's modified base damage and 50% of the Toxin b Toxin damage per tick, for 9 ticks over 8 seconds as Toxin b Toxin damage.

If I have a rifle with 90% toxin on a rifle with 0 status, will it still deal "50% of your weapon or power's modified base damage and 50% of the Toxin b Toxin damage per tick, for 9 ticks over 8 seconds as Toxin b Toxin damage."

And if the answer to the above is yes, why then go for status builds?

The difference is applying status procs. each element, combo and ips has a special effect that triggers when a status procs. So a weapon with corrosive will deal corrosive damage but the status corrosive weapin has more chance of triggeringvits special effect that reduces the targets current armor value and so will make them take more damage.

14 minutes ago, Dreaper23 said:

Ok so a follow up question, since I have always been bad at figuring out stuff like this :) Usually I just shoot..

Toxin, for example: The Toxin b Toxin status effect is Poison, which deals 50% of your weapon or power's modified base damage and 50% of the Toxin b Toxin damage per tick, for 9 ticks over 8 seconds as Toxin b Toxin damage.

If I have a rifle with 90% toxin on a rifle with 0 status, will it still deal "50% of your weapon or power's modified base damage and 50% of the Toxin b Toxin damage per tick, for 9 ticks over 8 seconds as Toxin b Toxin damage."

If the Weapon has zero status, it would still have the toxin extra damage on top of regular IPS damage.  The difference is that it wouldn't proc any extra effects.  So no ticks over 8 seconds as Toxin damage.  The extra ticks only happen if it procs a status.  Same goes for Slash/Bleed.  0 status on weapon would equal no bleed procs.  

I hope I've explained correctly for you.  :D

12 minutes ago, Dreaper23 said:

The answer is no. That is a status proc. Not elemental damage.

Toxin itself is good as it bypasses shields entirely and deals 50% more damage against corpus shield and 25% against grineer ferrite armor. BUT deals less damage to robotic like moas and fossilized like heavy infested.

And so each element has its good and bad points. But status effects are something that can trigger on hit with its frequency of procing the effect based on status chance and how much damage an element does based on the total damage of the hit.

13 minutes ago, Dreaper23 said:

If you have a rifle that does 100 damage and add 90% Toxin then every shot will do 190 damage (of which 90 is Toxin and will bypass shields).  This will happen on every shot regardless of status chance, you always get that +90% damage.  If you get a Toxin status proc you will also deal 9 ticks of 95 Toxin damage over the next 8 second (50% of base [100] plus Toxin [90])

If you then added +90% Heat and +90% Electric to get +180% Radiation and Toxin, your damage per shot would go up by 180 to 370 total but your Toxin procs would still deal 95 per tick as only base damage and Toxin add to it.

19 minutes ago, Dreaper23 said:

The answer is no :P

Say, a theoretical weapon deals 100 pure Slash damage.
After installing a +90% Toxin Mod, you now deal 100 Slash and 90 Toxin damage.
It's that simple.

The whole Poison status effect thing happens only when, wouldn't ya know it, a Toxin status proc occurs.

9 hours ago, Katinka said:

If you have a rifle that does 100 damage and add 90% Toxin then every shot will do 190 damage (of which 90 is Toxin and will bypass shields).  This will happen on every shot regardless of status chance, you always get that +90% damage.  If you get a Toxin status proc you will also deal 9 ticks of 95 Toxin damage over the next 8 second (50% of base [100] plus Toxin [90])

If you then added +90% Heat and +90% Electric to get +180% Radiation and Toxin, your damage per shot would go up by 180 to 370 total but your Toxin procs would still deal 95 per tick as only base damage and Toxin add to it.

This is exactly what I was looking for :D perfectly worded, to my mind at least :) Thanks a lot everyone