Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Fluffy's warframe concepts - weapons and enemies! (Newest concept - 𝑻𝒆𝒏𝒏𝒐 𝑯𝒖𝒏𝒕𝒊𝒏𝒈 𝑺𝒉𝒐𝒕𝒈𝒖𝒏!!)

(XBOX)Fluffywolf36

13 hours ago, (XBOX)Fluffywolf36 said:

Part of the reason I draw so very many guns is that most of how WF's melee works just... isn't that interesting to me. For guns, you can change fire mode, you can aim for the head, you can add headshot damage arcanes, you can line enemies up for punch-through. But I feel like so much of melee is just "keep hitting B."

Had my hopes for duviri melee , it has more levers to pull but unfortunately spam e still the best because it has the highest synergy with decree. There no much point on a parry when you are surrounded by 4 enemies and you are better off just running and spaming Sirocco. I do appreciate the attempts to add comterplay to enemies ( the whole shoot to interrupt ) ( I wish there was more off rhis in warframe , like icon from shoot , sword icon for melee hit and black hole simblo for operator attack so DE could desing strong enemies that players can interact with )

13 hours ago, (XBOX)Fluffywolf36 said:

Maybe something that switches weapon type on heavy attacks. But, like, it's not an incarnon form, it just... I don't know, turns from a sword into a

What about a weapon that behaves differently on quick melee and melee equip. Could de a neat way to implement that , the quick melee version could be a more off get off me tool or sustain tool while the full melee version more of a damage beast.

On 2023-04-29 at 7:46 PM, (XBOX)Fluffywolf36 said:

That would honestly feel better to me than most of my other ideas... 

Typically, I ask myself "What's some historical gun I can add in or homage, etc etc" but I feel like trying to add even, I don't know, a musket just... doesn't fit as much. Partly because of the small size of Duviri. I mean, who are the muskets used for? Why do they need to be that advanced?

This would allow me to make more interesting melees tbh.

...Part of the reason I draw so very many guns is that most of how WF's melee works just... isn't that interesting to me. For guns, you can change fire mode, you can aim for the head, you can add headshot damage arcanes, you can line enemies up for punch-through. But I feel like so much of melee is just "keep hitting B."

This is also why so many of the melees I make have such offbeat effects. 

Maybe something that switches weapon type on heavy attacks. But, like, it's not an incarnon form, it just... I don't know, turns from a sword into a whip.

(Geezus, I’m slipping badly!)

Honest opinion suh? Your strength is in firearms, but, you seek to branch out into melee? Do my stuff as free l. . . PAH, I kid, the actual truth is that the gunblade class might be your entry point for your own work! It’s honestly how I began so many years ago, with my Binos concept, perhaps it can bridge the gap between gun and blade, make things smooth for you to hop between each?

Welp. No Duviri ideas yet, I'll have that at some point. So since it's tuesday, that means I'll post one of those shotguns.

But anyway, I've been thinking. Warframe often tends more towards the science fantasy elements, with the Void as more of a cosmic force that's near-magic, while I go for... more of a high-tech surrealism sort of thing. Not entirely unlike Tsutomu Nihei.

3 hours ago, (XBOX)Fluffywolf36 said:

Welp. No Duviri ideas yet, I'll have that at some point. So since it's tuesday, that means I'll post one of those shotguns.

But anyway, I've been thinking. Warframe often tends more towards the science fantasy elements, with the Void as more of a cosmic force that's near-magic, while I go for... more of a high-tech surrealism sort of thing. Not entirely unlike Tsutomu Nihei.

What is Tsutomu Nihei?

Edited by Unus

12 hours ago, Unus said:

What is Tsutomu Nihei?

Audible gasp

Long story short, Tsutomu Nihei is the writer of BLAME, Biomega, Knights of Sidonia, and a couple other manga that don't have the same impact. If anyone's heard of him, they probably know Blame.

Tsutomu_Nihei-Piranesi_VS_Nihei.jpg

Blame is fairly similar to Warframe cause it's got a lot of the features of cyberpunk - biotech, transhumanism, megacorporations, megastructures - taken to such incredible extremes that it becomes something else entirely. It's got clone soldiers, everyone is a posthuman and/or modified in some way, and it's in a setting that is the product of some lost civilization that let things go Horribly Wrong.

...Also he has a tendency to make absurdly overpowered pistols. Such as the Gravitational (or Graviton?) Beam Emitter, which is described by tvtropes as fitting more under "Wave Motion Gun" than "Pistol."

You could mount the damn thing on a battleship in Warhammer 40k and it would outdo most of the arsenal.

Tenno 'Ventress' Semiauto Shotgun

“A stripped down, simplistic Tenno shotgun, redesigned for the close quarters of Infested derelicts. Reloads and fires extremely quickly at the expense of recoil, accuracy and stopping power.

Its horizontal spread ensures that it’s best aimed in the chest area.”

Special Traits

Accurizing Rounds: Headshots with this weapon (in buckshot mode) decrease spread 10%, and increase the range of Tubficid’s Breath by 15%. This stacks up to five times.. Each stack decays after two seconds.

Gunrunner: Can be fired while running. Bonus movement speed and movement velocity. Increased damage while in motion.

Penetrator: Pellets do 15% more damage for each enemy they penetrate.

One In The Breach: Reloading with one round in the mag adds a bonus round in… and shortens reload time.

tenno__ventress__semiauto_shotgun_by_flu

Lore

The Ventress was built by stripping a Trenchance autoshotgun down, removing its more complex elements - much of the weight and complex systems, the drum magazine, shortening the barrel - and converting it to semiautomatic-only while replacing the fixed stock with a more portable collapsible stock. It’s also been rechambered it for a much larger gauge shell, along with a duckbill choke that ensures its spread* stays rather horizontal.

In addition, it comes with the “Tubficid’s Breath” altfire, which shoots a plasmor-like projectile that deals mostly heat damage.**

The shortened barrel and high gauge ensure that it’s not very accurate or controllable, but who needed a shotgun to be accurate? At the ranges for which the Ventress was redesigned, this isn’t so important.

It does, however, keep the Trenchance’s ability to deal bonus damage for each enemy it penetrates. Lining up enough enemies within the spread of this weapon ensures that you can spread damage like few shotguns can…

…At short range, anyway. 

Headshots with this weapon in buckshot decrease spread, which has a funny effect on the Tubficid’s Breath altfire**. While the accuracy buff decreases spread in buckshot mode, it decreases the size of the projectile while increasing its flight speed, changing a plasmor-like projectile into something almost like a railgun shot, roughly the size of a Catchmoon projectile. 

This has great synthesis with the weapon’s increased damage on penetration.

In addition, equipping this weapon increases movement speed. What the Ventress lacks in any kind of accuracy, it makes up for in terms of positioning. Tenno armed with this firearm are encouraged to rush across the battlefield with wild abandon, cutting through their enemies like a mobile guillotine. They also build up damage for the Tubficid’s Breath 

Perhaps its most distinctive feature is the pump on the bottom, reminiscent of the Corinth series. This is meant to allow the Ventris to chamber lower-pressure, more exotic rounds, in addition to easily clearing jams. The pump is typically used when reloading from empty.

In the late Orokin Era, the Ventress was primarily used by boarding parties, shipboard guards, and harvesting parties on Infested Plague Moons. Nowadays, it has great utility against Infested, and it serves as something of a fixture among Tenno expeditions to Plague Moons and Infested Derelicts, trading a flamer’s*** crowd control utility for sheer utility and range.

Footnotes:

* I’m still not sure how to describe spread. You know how the Athenaeum from last year was described as having basketball-sized spread? This is…. Well. It’s more rhombus shaped. It’s about… 60-75% wider than the Athenaeum’s?

** Originally, this was determined by energy color, but I just didn’t see the point.

*** Flamethrowers are a weird subject for me.  With Infested, they should be a big thing in the Origin System, but I feel like flamethrowers don’t have much design space for me.

Stats

• Noise Level:  Alarming

• Magazine: 8

• Reload Time: 2.8s

Buckshot

• Trigger: Semi

• Fire Rate: 3.9

• Multishot: 13

• Damage: 49

• 25 Puncture

• 16 Slash

• 8 Impact

• Total Damage: 637

• Critical Chance: 20%

• Critical Multiplier: 2.1x

• Headshot Damage: 3.15x

• Status Chance: 8.1%

• Punch-Through: 1m

• Falloff:

•  100% damage up to 15m

• 30% damage at 36m

Tubficid’s Breath:

• Multishot: 1

• Damage: 280

• 80 Puncture

• 200 Heat

• Headshot Damage: 1.1x

• Status Chance: 48%

Falloff (uncharged)

• Falloff: 

•  100% damage up to 12m

• 20% damage at 28m

Falloff: Charged

• Falloff:

• 100% damage up to 21m

• 20% damage at 49m

Artist Notes:

As inspired by Jonathan Ferguson, Keeper of Arms at the Royal Armories, referring to one of the shotguns from Resident Evil 4 Remake having “cartoon blunderbuss” spread. And I worked from there.

If the Athenaeum shotgun from awhile back (speaking of which, I have a very minor aesthetic update to post later) represents classic shotguns from the Half-life (Half-like?) era of videogames, something with the inexplicable ability to double fire, then this was meant to represent something from a (slightly) more modern era - an autoshotgun with tiny range and magazine capacity balanced for multiplayer.

…Except this is semiauto-only cause I didn’t quite see the point.

A lot of the more oddball traits you see here aren’t necessarily in keeping with stuff like the EVA shotgun from Apex and Titanfall - it’s more just because I thought it’d be fun. Why not include some amount of precision here by increasing headshot damage? Why not allow players to build up some precision in buckshot mode? 

Encouraging players to line up enemies was the best idea I had to force players to have some engagement beyond “Keep pulling trigger.”

The biggest challenge, in all honesty, was making sure this looked short and heavy… while not being the same length as some of the longer, more accurate shotguns I’ve made recently. Partly the Somesha, but also the next shotgun I posted. Which will be called the Trenchance.

Edited by (XBOX)Fluffywolf36
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, (XBOX)Fluffywolf36 said:

“A stripped down, simplistic Tenno shotgun, redesigned for the close quarters of Infested derelicts. Reloads and fires extremely quickly at the expense of recoil, accuracy and stopping power.

Special Traits

Accurizing Rounds: Headshots with this weapon (in buckshot mode) decrease spread 10%, and increase the range of Tubficid’s Breath by 15%. This stacks up to five times.. Each stack decays after two seconds.

Gunrunner: Can be fired while running. Bonus movement speed and movement velocity. Increased damage while in motion.

One In The Breach: Reloading with one round in the mag adds a bonus round in… and shortens reload time.

Lore

The Ventress was built by stripping a Trenchance autoshotgun down, removing its more complex elements - much of the weight and complex systems, the drum magazine, shortening the barrel - and converting it to semiautomatic-only while replacing the fixed stock with a more portable collapsible stock. It’s also been rechambered it for a much larger gauge shell, along with a duckbill choke that ensures its spread* stays rather horizontal.

In addition, it comes with the “Tubficid’s Breath” altfire, which shoots a plasmor-like projectile that deals mostly heat damage.*

The shortened barrel and high gauge ensure that it’s not very accurate or controllable, but who needed a shotgun to be accurate? At the ranges for which the Ventress was redesigned, this isn’t so important.

It does, however, keep the Trenchance’s ability to deal bonus damage for each enemy it penetrates. Lining up enough enemies within the spread of this weapon ensures that you can spread damage like few shotguns can…

…At short range, anyway. 

Headshots with this weapon in buckshot decrease spread**, which has a funny effect on the Tubficid’s Breath altfire. While the accuracy buff decreases spread in buckshot mode, it decreases the size of the projectile while increasing its flight speed, changing a plasmor-like projectile into something almost like a railgun shot, roughly the size of a Catchmoon projectile. 

In addition, equipping this weapon increases movement speed. What the Ventress lacks in any kind of accuracy, it makes up for in terms of positioning. Tenno armed with this firearm are encouraged to rush across the battlefield with wild abandon, cutting through their enemies like a mobile guillotine. They also build up damage for the Tubficid’s Breath 

Perhaps its most distinctive feature is the pump on the bottom, reminiscent of the Corinth series. This is meant to allow the Ventris to chamber lower-pressure, more exotic rounds, in addition to easily clearing jams. The pump is typically used when reloading from empty.

In the late Orokin Era, the Ventress was primarily used by boarding parties, shipboard guards, and harvesting parties on Infested Plague Moons. Nowadays, it has great utility against Infested, and it serves as something of a fixture among Tenno expeditions to Plague Moons and Infested Derelicts, trading a flamer’s*** crowd control utility for sheer utility and range.

Footnotes:

* Originally, this was determined by energy color, but I just didn’t see the point.

** I’m still not sure how to describe spread. You know how the Athenaeum from last year was described as having basketball-sized spread? This is…. Well. It’s more rhombus shaped. It’s about… 60-75% wider than the Athenaeum’s?

*** Flamethrowers are a weird subject for me.  With Infested, they should be a big thing in the Origin System, but I feel like flamethrowers don’t have much design space for me.

Stats

Buckshot

• 25 Puncture

• 16 Slash

• 8 Impact

• Headshot Damage: 3.3x

• Status Chance: 9%

• Falloff:

•  100% damage up to 15m

• 40% damage at 36m

Tubficid’s Breath:

• 80 Puncture

• 200 Heat

Falloff (uncharged)

• Falloff: 

•  100% damage up to 12m

• 20% damage at 28m

• Falloff:

• 100% damage up to 21m

• 20% damage at 49m

Artist Notes:

As inspired by Jonathan Ferguson, Keeper of Arms at the Royal Armories, referring to one of the shotguns from Resident Evil 4 Remake having “cartoon blunderbuss” spread. And I worked from there.

If the Athenaeum shotgun from awhile back (speaking of which, I have a very minor aesthetic update to post later) represents classic shotguns from the Half-life (Half-like?) era of videogames, something with the inexplicable ability to double fire, then this was meant to represent something from a (slightly) more modern era - an autoshotgun with tiny range and magazine capacity balanced for multiplayer.

A lot of the more oddball traits you see here aren’t necessarily in keeping with stuff like the EVA shotgun from Apex and Titanfall - it’s more just because I thought it’d be fun. Why not include some amount of precision here by increasing headshot damage? Why not allow players to build up some precision in buckshot mode? 

Encouraging players to line up enemies was the best idea I had to force players to have some engagement beyond “Keep pulling trigger.”

The biggest challenge, in all honesty, was making sure this looked short and heavy… while not being the same length as some of the longer, more accurate shotguns I’ve made recently. Partly the Somesha, but also the next shotgun I posted. Which will be called the Trenchance.

The scary amount of time and detail you put in this one thread is scary. Keep up the concepts maybe even DE will notice if they haven't already. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, (XBOX)Fluffywolf36 said:

Special Traits

Lore

In addition, it comes with the “Tubficid’s Breath” altfire, which shoots a plasmor-like projectile that deals mostly heat damage.*

…At short range, anyway. 

Headshots with this weapon in buckshot decrease spread**, which has a funny effect on the Tubficid’s Breath altfire. While the accuracy buff decreases spread in buckshot mode, it decreases the size of the projectile while increasing its flight speed, changing a plasmor-like projectile into something almost like a railgun shot, roughly the size of a Catchmoon projectile. 

Footnotes:

* Originally, this was determined by energy color, but I just didn’t see the point.

** I’m still not sure how to describe spread. You know how the Athenaeum from last year was described as having basketball-sized spread? This is…. Well. It’s more rhombus shaped. It’s about… 60-75% wider than the Athenaeum’s?

Stats

Buckshot

• 25 Puncture

• 16 Slash

• 8 Impact

• Headshot Damage: 3.3x

• Status Chance: 9%

• Falloff:

•  100% damage up to 15m

• 40% damage at 36m

Tubficid’s Breath:

• 80 Puncture

• 200 Heat

Falloff (uncharged)

• Falloff: 

•  100% damage up to 12m

• 20% damage at 28m

• Falloff:

• 100% damage up to 21m

• 20% damage at 49m

Artist Notes:

that thing looks like fun, I like how the altfire works with the increase accuracy on kills effect.

5 hours ago, (XBOX)Mineslayer2010 said:

The scary amount of time and detail you put in this one thread is scary. Keep up the concepts maybe even DE will notice if they haven't already. 

Thanks so much! And I'm like 90% sure they have lol. 

This look familiar?

tenno__meridian__shotgun_by_haruaxeman-d

full.jpg

(If you're wondering about the top one: It's also an autoshotgun with a launchable disk that has a crowd-control function. )

...Except in my case, the disk is the magazine. Long story short, this was inspired by how you can use the Pancor Jackhammer's magazine as a frag grenade. I'd been thinking "What if I made a login reward autoshotty?" And I wasn't that much of a fan of the Azima's altfire. I don't like how random it is, it just doesn't feel that engaging or damaging....

And I should also point out: Sean Bigham, one of DE's concept artists, has seen this lol

he even said he liked it

Also, I've kiiiiiiiinda screwed up their google results. Seriously. If you do any kind of Warframe weapon google search (Warframe shotgun, warframe rifle, warframe pistol, even just "Warframe weapon," but especially Warframe revolver) you will find something I did :P

Now all I gotta do is work up the courage to try and partner...

2 hours ago, Neo3602 said:

that thing looks like fun, I like how the altfire works with the increase accuracy on kills effect.

Thanks so much!

Funny story, that interaction with the altfire was one of many scrapped ideas I had for the SOMESHA PRIME's altfire. Originally I thought "a flamethrower shotgun would be fun, I could make it so the plasmor shots change size as you fire!" but I just felt like... 

I dunno how to explain it. I just felt like this didn't have that much synergy with the somesha. Possibly cause of the auto spool effect? Or because I felt like the appeal of a Plasmor is how wide and consistent the "spread" is?  IDK.

Somehow this feels like it works better. It's weird because almost anything I say about why I didn't like it on the  Somesha... could also feel like an issue here. Like, both fire modes are short range bursts of damage.

Adhesive Blast: Altfire has inherent Adhesive Blast.
Headhunter: In buckshot mode, projectiles ricochet towards enemies on headshot kills.

Since I spent some time talking about the Somesha Prime, I've added these traits to the Somesha Prime. I've had this weird tendency to make the altfires of primary shotguns arguably more interesting than the primary fire, (Ventress, Akasha) I added these two. There's two reasons:

1. Adhesive Blast is there to allow you to add punchthrough
2. Headhunter is there to just make primary fire more interesting. The ricochet is only on kills cause it's an autoshotgun with increasingly tight spread - I feel like I don't want to make the ricochets too consistent.

On 2022-12-25 at 3:48 PM, (XBOX)Fluffywolf36 said:

SOMESHA PRIME AUTOSHOTGUN

“The primed version of the infamous crit and slash-based Tenno autoshotgun.  Unlike many other shotguns, it fires faster and more accurately the longer you hold the trigger… and even more accurately the more it hits an enemy. This is achieved through the same accuracy-and-stability enhancing mechanisms of the Tenora. In addition, it comes with explosive slug altfire!”
--Codex

Special Traits: Accurizing Rounds - direct hits on enemies decrease spread. This stacks up to five times and decreases after two seconds.
Adhesive Blast: Altfire has inherent Adhesive Blast.
Headhunter: In buckshot mode, projectiles ricochet towards enemies on headshot kills.

tenno__somesha_prime__autoshotgun_by_flu

Lore

This crit-based autoshotgun was gleefully overdesigned by the Archimedians that helped devise the Soma family of automatic weaponry, a group which includes venerable weapons such as the Haoma, Somesha, Aksomati, Soma, Somin, and (bizarrely) Dual Raza tomahawks. In addition to their prime variants. 

And as such, the Somesha Prime has a number of hallmarks of that family of weapons. It’s got high fire rate, a very deep magazine, and low-caliber high-velocity ammunition enabling massive crits.

One of the most unique features of the Somesha was its increased accuracy on sustained fire. The Somesha Prime boasts a much more complex system - firstly, its accuracy increases based on hitting enemies instead of sustained fire. Hitting one enemy in one shot will increase the accuracy by… however much the accuracy increases… while hitting two in one shot will increase the accuracy by twice as much. This is why it’s important that the weapon has punchthrough.

To represent this, it has a much more dynamic reticle linked to any aiming systems. Secondly, the accuracy gain has more in common with the Arca Scisco’s combo mechanic - it decays every 2 seconds. 

In addition, burstfiring maintains spooled fire rate. The weapon unspools after 4 seconds unfired.

To add to the insanity, it comes with mechanisms that somehow transmute its buckshot into incendiary slugs. All of the Somesha Prime’s peculiarities of fire rate and accuracy still apply to this mode - although the accuracy gain is only applied if the slug directly hits an enemy. Not when they’re caught in the blast. That would be weird.

Among Tenno of the current-day Origin System, it’s somewhat tied for popularity with the Sobek. While the Somesha Prime boasts incredible crit, fire rate, and magazine size… the Sobek has better starting accuracy, in addition to various bizarre mods available from Rathuum and Steel Meridian that give it slightly better one-shot potential, as opposed to the Somesha Prime’s focus on saturating enemies with buckshot.

Originally, the Somesha Prime was designed at the request of various Tenno who didn’t like the Boar Prime and wanted something… more. There were other attempts at this, such as the Trenchance shotgun, but the Somesha Prime gained prominence by virtue of its incredible fire rate. It was especially loved for its use during Infested outbreaks.

It's still used for this in the modern day. Though, with the increased amounts of humanoid enemies faced by Tenno nowadays - Narmer, Grineer, Corpus - its buckshot mode gives it the ability to be used almost as a poor man's assault rifle for those Tenno who find themselves at a disadvantage at range. Direct hits can also be used to build up accuracy in primary fire, allowing Tenno to close the distance and spray down Grineer from within the weapon's optimal range.

shared

Magazine: 32

Trigger: Auto-Spool

Rate Of Fire:

Unspooled: 2

Spooled: 4.5

Spool period: 4 rounds

Reload: 3.2s

Primary: Razor Buckshot Shells

Crit Chance - 35%

Crit Multiplier - 3.0x

Status Chance - 4%

Headshot Multiplier: 3.15x

Pellets: 8

Damage: 280

144 Slash

80 Puncture

16 Impact

40 Heat

Accuracy: 9.5

Punch-Through: 0.8m

Falloff: 

Max Damage up to 18m

Minimum Damage At 36m

50% Max Reduction

Projectile Type: Hitscan

Secondary: Flare Rounds

Total damage: 180

On impact:

Crit Chance - 35%

Crit Multiplier - 3.0x

Status Chance - 20% 

Headshot Multiplier: 3.15x

Damage: 60

48 Slash

12 Impact

Forced Procs: Puncture

Accuracy: 9.5

Falloff: 

Max Damage up to 30m

Minimum Damage At 60m

50% Max Reduction

Projectile Type: Non-hitscan

Radial

Crit Chance - 35%

Crit Multiplier - 3.0x

Status Chance - 20% 

Damage: 120

40 Puncture

80 Heat

Range: 2.4m

30% damage at 2.4m

Projectile Type: AoE

Artist Notes:
HAPPY CRIMMUS

All honesty, there's not as much to say this time. It's a SOMA-THEMED AUTOSHOTGUN, something that I've wanted for a long time. The accuracy gimmick harkens back to playing Borderlands 2, which was fresh(er?) in my mind as I drew the original Somesha about 3-4 years ago. While I was a not a fan of Hyperion sniper rifles in Borderlands 2 (DEAR GOD) I, as most people did, loved the shotguns. They were the one thing that really, really worked well with the Hyperion gimmick in Borderlands 2.

So naturally, that's why it's here. The 32-round mag is a reference to the AA12.

On 2023-05-03 at 3:52 PM, (XBOX)Fluffywolf36 said:

Audible gasp

Long story short, Tsutomu Nihei is the writer of BLAME, Biomega, Knights of Sidonia, and a couple other manga that don't have the same impact. If anyone's heard of him, they probably know Blame.

Tsutomu_Nihei-Piranesi_VS_Nihei.jpg

Blame is fairly similar to Warframe cause it's got a lot of the features of cyberpunk - biotech, transhumanism, megacorporations, megastructures - taken to such incredible extremes that it becomes something else entirely. It's got clone soldiers, everyone is a posthuman and/or modified in some way, and it's in a setting that is the product of some lost civilization that let things go Horribly Wrong.

...Also he has a tendency to make absurdly overpowered pistols. Such as the Gravitational (or Graviton?) Beam Emitter, which is described by tvtropes as fitting more under "Wave Motion Gun" than "Pistol."

You could mount the damn thing on a battleship in Warhammer 40k and it would outdo most of the arsenal.

AH! I’ve heard you mention blame before, but, never the author! Thanks for the intel!

Side note, hope you don’t have some technocyte sniffles at the mo!

(Wow (insert similar set of explanations for absence here), etc etc, you’ve heard it all before sadly.)

Grineer “Balesk” Explosive Rifle

“Oven-fresh from the Harkonnar Production Zone, this Grineer rifle fires explosive projectiles that detonate on impact… or remotely detonate and fling themselves towards nearby enemies on kills. Not entirely unlike the Tenno ‘Moira’ revolver.”

–-Codex

Grineer 'Balesk' Semiautomatic Cannon

* Note: the charging handle does not reciprocate, but it locks forward when the mag is empty.

Lore

Built from Tenno technology scavenged by the Grineer during the New War, the Balesk represents a rare leap forward for Grineer ballistic technology.

In primary fire, it launches explosive gyro-stabilized rounds not dissimilar to those of certain Tenno firearms, which simply explode on impact. Each round is tipped with piezoelectric warheads that disrupt shields and mildly stun particularly hardy organic targets.

Secondary fire, however, is much more interesting, and it is here in which the Balesk truly shines. It trades the massive damage per second of primary fire for the potential to set up devastating minefields with each shot. 

Shots fired in secondary stick to surfaces and explode upon tapping the altfire key.There’s an additional peculiarity to this as well. When an enemy has been stuck, the rounds will ricochet towards enemies on kills. How exactly the weapon “decides” what constitutes an enemy is unknown, but that’s perhaps best left unsaid.

It’s this latter trick that makes the weapon particularly interesting for grineer Eximus troops with more offensive abilities…

…or, unfortunately (for the Grineer, anyway) creative Tenno. A Tenno can saturate nearby enemies with sticky projectiles, activate a room-clearing ability or engage an enemy in melee combat, and turn every enemy in the room into Kulstar-like cluster bombs.

Grineer armed with this weapon often turn rooms and hallways into minefields, for use against both Tenno and Infested.

Predictably due to its lack of a stock (Grineer heavy armor is expected to cushion any recoil) it has rather poor recoil control.

The story of how the Grineer built this weapon is particularly interesting - In the wake of the New War, often known as the Great Narmer War, the Blinding, and (among the Bidanians) the Cold Snap, every faction was left with one thing: An overabundance of salvage.

The Balesk’s components came from Grineer salvaging Tenno firearms from wrecked railjacks, rail-capable “bucket” ships built by hammering railjack parts onto more modern hulls, destroyed dojos, and rare Old War-vintage ships that somehow survived the tumultuous collapse of the Orokin Empire*. And so, despite the massive losses, the Narmer War was a time of unprecedented technological development.

Originally, the Balesk was intended exclusively as a Kuva Lich weapon, as Kuva Liches were some of the most consistently effective troops deployed against Narmer. The Harkonnar Production Zone (one of the least affected Grineer manufacturing concerns) refused to do so, to the face of one or both* Queens. 

In an uncharacteristic show of magnanimity and pragmatism, the Queens agreed** without eating him, and set to making this a mass-production model as opposed to an almost artisan-produced Kuva versions.

Currently, it’s suspected that the Grineer are attempting to phase weapons such as the Balesk (and its cousin, the Kamvor) into a more active role in service. Still, with typical Grineer fractiousness, Tenno wreaking merry hell on Grineer supply lines, and the centuries worth of conventional ballistic firearms and ammunition, that seems unlikely to happen any time soon.

Footnotes

* Both? Didn’t Hayden kill one of them? ~Haruka Lorne

Remind me again - how many times did you have to kill Archimedean Eymichi?  ~Ginebra

I mean, some of it wasn’t necessary, but point taken. Time to go ransack the Kuva Fortress again. I have a Buzlok build to test with Apthalia. ~Haruka Lorne

** Wait. How do we know about the parts we weren’t there for? ~Ginebra

Steel Meridian’s recruiting drive. Though I was talking to Garm, and I gotta say - I’m not sure that the surviving queen didn’t eat the Harkonar rep. ~ Haruka Lorne

Stats

Stats

Magazine: 18

Fire Rate: 4.1

Noise Level: Alarming

Trigger Type: semi

On Impact

Total Damage 80

40 Impact

30 Slash

10 Puncture

Crit Chance 35% 

Crit Multiplier: 2.6x

Status Chance 26%

Headshot Multiplier: 3.6x

Noise Level Alarming

Projectile Type: Projectile

Radial

Total Damage 100

25 Impact

75 Electricity

Crit Chance 35%

Crit Multiplier 2.6x

Status Chance: 25%

Damage Falloff

100% damage up to 0 m

50% damage at 2.4m 

Projectile Type AoE

Contact-Detonation

On Impact

Total Damage 80

40 Impact

30 Slash

10 Puncture

Crit Chance 33% 

Status Chance 26%

Headshot Multiplier: 3.3x

Noise Level Alarming

Radial

Total Damage 100

25 Impact

75 Electricity

Crit Chance 32%

Crit Multiplier 2.6x

Status Chance: 26%

Damage Falloff

100% damage up to 0 m

50% damage at 2.4m 

Projectile Type AoE

Artist Notes

Not all this lore was necessary, but it was cool.

Anyway, I had a wee bit of a breakdown earlier as I realized: on the power scale WF now exists on, it’s hard for me to come up with Grineer weapons.  Five years ago, it would be easy enough for me to come up with Grineer assault rifles and shotguns and the like for rank-and-file. But now, we’ve all got some kind of depleted unobtainium firearm, a chaining beam, explosive weapons, the latest Incarnon guns, etc etc. In addition, when I’m not doing any of that, I’m adding some kind of funny gimmick.

How do I make a Grineer firearm that feels like it stands up to all of that?

It’s very difficult.

Although, I’ve been drawing up plenty of assault rifles with damage that ranges from 24 (that’s the Haoma) to the 70s or so (that’s the Bruin) for awhile, so what do I know? Probably wouldn’t be too hard to make a Grineer AN-94 later. That might be neat.

Actually, come to think of it, I do also have a 3-barrel Grineer rifle somewhere. Maybe I can also look at some of the weirder Russian prototype guns. That’s at least four ideas I have now.

So with that in mind, the best idea I had was to essentially make a Grineer bolter. Something unsubtle, powerful, and slow. Normally I draw stocks on these things, but part of the traditional Bolter Look (™) is to have a stockless gun with a massive barrel.

Also, I’ve been coming up with a bunch of fanmade faction guns (there’s even a void-flavored one in my photoshop! So, y’know, look out for that) and I felt spurred on to make a Grineer gun after just how many fan-faction guns I realized I’d created. There’s at least two, and the Void-flavored one isn’t finished yet. It made me think of my Runescape days. It brought back…

…memories…

Anyway. one thing that ultimately drove me from Runescape content back when I was young and immature was the fact that I was building the world up into something it wasn’t. That, and the fact that Runescape has just… absolutely boring grind. You think Warframe’s grind is bad? At least some of it involves actual combat. At least the Orb Vallis doesn’t have sub-PS1 graphics. At least I’m not just clicking “Use X” or “Interact with X” for hours straight, as opposed to actually being strategic and thinking about casting abilities, stealthing. At least Warframe doesn’t have the Squeal of Fortune right now.

You don’t know how good you have it. I swear, playing Runescape may very well have given me some form of brain damage.

• Like 3

So, the next gun I post has spurred me to make some minor changes. Also, after the next gun post, I'm gonna do an OPERATION! It'll be another big worldbuildy thing. So, y'know. Look out for that.

Changes:

Object 45-i-98's damage types have been flipped:

Projectiles now do primarily radiation damage instead of magnetic, while the explosion now does magnetic damage instead of radiation.

why: Magnetic damage isn't very useful, so this gives it some more use against non-Grineer enemies. Y'know, if you want to do that.

Bliska's damage has been buffed to 60

why:  for the next gun I post. This one is also going to be an SMG... of a sort... and it does much higher damage than the Bliska. I needed to give the Bliska some kind of advantage here.

On 2023-03-19 at 6:30 PM, (XBOX)Fluffywolf36 said:

‘Bliska’ Gauss PDW

“A high-rate-of-fire Gauss PDW firing electrified Ganymedean “bouncer” ammo, which ricochets off anything it hits while dealing massive impact damage and stunning targets. Burstfire mode causes them to explode on impact, releasing radial electric damage.

The name translates, roughly, to ‘The puncher’ in some Ganymedean dialects, particularly in A Bao A Qu and Jaburo*.”

Codex

Special traits: +30% status on headshots 

Stampede Rounds: Rounds overpenetrate enemies and ricochet on hard surfaces. Kills cause the next four shots fired to redirect themselves towards enemies.

ganymedean__bliska__gauss_smg_by_fluffyw

Lore

The Bliska fires electrically charged discarding-sabot flechettes through a gauss array. The flechettes contain a small electric charge, which it releases on impact. In addition, the flechettes ricochet off hard surfaces but penetrate organic targets.

This gives it the capacity for less-lethal fire. The flechettes leave very small entry wounds, and at lower velocities and voltages, deal negligible damage.

This is rarely used, however. The Grineer and Infested are rarely in the mood to fire nonlethally… and the Corpus acquisition squads that often skirmish with Ganymedean squads (and allied Tenno) see Ganymedeans as something like malfunctioning property. 

In addition, it comes with a charged burstfire mode. In this fire mode, the flechettes shatter on impact, dealing massive radial electric damage. This can also be overcharged, adding damage and punch-through to the flechettes. In this way, surprisingly, the Bliska can be used as a longer-range weapon, not dissimilar to a DMR, but this isn’t that practical due to the Bliska’s focus on CQC.

For some reason, shots from Tenno-built versions ricochet towards nearby enemies after kills. This even overrides the object punchthrough of charged burstfire, causing rounds to explode on walls and bounce towards nearby enemies.

Among Ganymede’s Gendarmerie, this weapon is used for personal defense on its new frontiers, shipboard and orbital security.  It typically serves a short-range suppressive fire role. 

It derives its name from an Ganymedean word that varyingly translates to “lightning bolt” or in slang terms, “punch.” In Ganymedean creole, the name translates to something like “The Puncher.”

In its own way, the Bliska Gauss SMG is emblematic of Ganymedean weapons technology. It takes the basic aesthetic and workings of Corpus firearms - boxiness, advanced technology - but gears them down into a rugged, simpler form contained within a frame of cheap polymers.

The first member of the Bliska family was extremely crude: a child’s BB gun firing electrically charged pellets, hooked up to a Lanka’s barrel, where users were forced to reload the ammunition and battery separately. Also, it didn’t have full auto. It was slightly more effective than the Grineer ‘Stug’ pistol.

It was the worst of both worlds, but the Havenite rebels weren’t exactly spoiled for choice. Some of them (those who lived in less civilized areas) were even forced to use the flintlocks of primitive tribesmen from the Laomedon Mountains, in addition to crude “power machetes” that simply had a backpack generator attached to them.

(This was not a fun time for them)

The “current” version is a postwar innovation meant to leverage the Bliska’s advantages. Ultra low-caliber ammo in a compact package optimized for ergonomics and low recoil, an ability to chamber unique ammo, and a blistering** fire rate.

Its electrically charged, hard hitting rounds can strip away a Corpus shield faster than a Ganymedean Wolf or Pictus*** can strip the corpse of an Auramoch.

And, in the event of a wielder staring down Grineer, it’s not hard for the thing to overload the systems that govern their prosthetics.

Footnotes

* Jaburo is an underwater city built by the Vaulters and taken over by the Orokin. You can earn lots of plat and salvage by using an archwing down there. I should probably go edit that into that glossary we worked on earlier…

~ Ginebra

** (That’s not hyperbole. The heat of the electrified flechettes does cause painful blisters)

~Yassin

*** a Pictus is a common ganymedean animal. Looks… vaguely kind of like a wolf of ancient Earth, but they’re spotted, they don’t have that beak of a nose, and they have these massive ears and look like they’re on stilts. Apparently, I always have had two of them now.

~Haruka Lorne

Stats

• Mag size: 50
  • Reload time: 2.8s

Auto

• Trigger: Auto
  • Fire Rate: 7
  • Damage: 60
  • 22 electric 
  • 12 slash
  • 6 puncture
  • 20 impact 
  • Critical Multiplier: 2.6x
  • Status Chance: 38%
  • 100% damage up to 18m 
  • 40% damage at 36m
  • Enemy Punch-Through: 0.4m
  • Bounces: 3
  • Projectile Type: Non-hitscan

Charge-Burst:

Uncharged

On impact

• Trigger: Charge-Burst
  • Burst Count: 3
  • Burst Rate: 7
  • Burst Delay: 0.095
  • Fire Rate: 7
  • Damage: 40
  • 14 electric 
  • 8 slash
  • 4 puncture
  • 14 impact 
  • Critical Chance: 24%
  • Status Chance: 42.75%
  • (no falloff lol)
  • Projectile Type: Non-Hitscan

Radial

Damage: 40 Electric

• Critical Chance: 24%
  • Status Chance: 42.75%
  • Projectile Type: AoE
  • Blast Radius: 1.6m

charged

Charged impact

• Trigger: Charge-Burst
  • Charge Time: 1.2s
  • Burst Count: 3
  • Burst Rate: 14
  • Burst Delay: 0
  • Fire Rate: I give up lmao
  • Damage: 50
  • 18 electric 
  • 10 slash
  • 4 puncture
  • 18 impact 
  • Critical Chance: 28%
  • Status Chance: 47.5%
  • (no falloff lol)
  • Projectile Type: Non-Hitscan
  • Note: the ricochet on kills overrides the object punch-through.

Charged Radial

• Damage: 90 Electric
  • Critical Chance: 28%
  • Status Chance: 47.5%
  • Projectile Type: AoE
  • Radius: 3.2m

Artist Notes

It’s the K-Volt from Crysis 2 onwards. This is probably obvious.

Ganymede’s weapons are… both difficult and simple to describe. In the Fluffy Timeline of the Origin System, which I’m using to describe this more populated version of the Origin System that only exists cause I got bored and decided to draw out a gyrojet pistol that looked like a Glock. The best way to describe them is that they’re meant to feel like Modern and Tactical weapons, but as filtered through that head injury I got that one time when I finished drawing the Trokar for Unus.

So as a result of that, they have designs that take inspiration from tactical weapons in dark gray polymer… married to extremely bizarre designs and concepts that’re often hybrids of other designs. And also the Expanse TV show’s props. For example, the Chadam Shotgun from awhile back is essentially Amos’ kitbashed prop shotgun from The Expanse combined with a Fostech Origin, and the Hiro is a combination of the Glock, Gyrojet, and other stuff I don’t remember off the top of my head. They also have weird projectiles - for example, the Hiro is explosive and has an airburst mode, which is kinda silly to have on a pistol.

The K-volt just… made sense to use as inspiration. It looks like what’d happen if I worked at Crytek and someone said “Draw a hybrid of a P90 and Kriss Vector.” The flechette thing was just a result of me realizing that the K-volt’s electrified ball bearings didn’t make much sense, ballistically.

Statting this was also weird. Originally, I wasn’t gonna give it that much damage, but I liked the idea of giving this more damage than assault rifles at close range (that quickly falls off) so it seemed fun. The lower fire rate (originally, this had a fire rate of 18) was to compensate for it.

On 2023-05-13 at 5:27 PM, (XBOX)Fluffywolf36 said:

Grineer “Balesk” Explosive Rifle

“Oven-fresh from the Harkonnar Production Zone, this Grineer rifle fires explosive projectiles that detonate on impact… or remotely detonate and fling themselves towards nearby enemies on kills. Not entirely unlike the Tenno ‘Moira’ revolver.”

–-Codex

Grineer 'Balesk' Semiautomatic Cannon

* Note: the charging handle does not reciprocate, but it locks forward when the mag is empty.

Lore

Built from Tenno technology scavenged by the Grineer during the New War, the Balesk represents a rare leap forward for Grineer ballistic technology.

In primary fire, it launches explosive gyro-stabilized rounds not dissimilar to those of certain Tenno firearms, which simply explode on impact. Each round is tipped with piezoelectric warheads that disrupt shields and mildly stun particularly hardy organic targets.

Secondary fire, however, is much more interesting, and it is here in which the Balesk truly shines. It trades the massive damage per second of primary fire for the potential to set up devastating minefields with each shot. 

Shots fired in secondary stick to surfaces and explode upon tapping the altfire key.There’s an additional peculiarity to this as well. When an enemy has been stuck, the rounds will ricochet towards enemies on kills. How exactly the weapon “decides” what constitutes an enemy is unknown, but that’s perhaps best left unsaid.

It’s this latter trick that makes the weapon particularly interesting for grineer Eximus troops with more offensive abilities…

…or, unfortunately (for the Grineer, anyway) creative Tenno. A Tenno can saturate nearby enemies with sticky projectiles, activate a room-clearing ability or engage an enemy in melee combat, and turn every enemy in the room into Kulstar-like cluster bombs.

Grineer armed with this weapon often turn rooms and hallways into minefields, for use against both Tenno and Infested.

Predictably due to its lack of a stock (Grineer heavy armor is expected to cushion any recoil) it has rather poor recoil control.

The story of how the Grineer built this weapon is particularly interesting - In the wake of the New War, often known as the Great Narmer War, the Blinding, and (among the Bidanians) the Cold Snap, every faction was left with one thing: An overabundance of salvage.

The Balesk’s components came from Grineer salvaging Tenno firearms from wrecked railjacks, rail-capable “bucket” ships built by hammering railjack parts onto more modern hulls, destroyed dojos, and rare Old War-vintage ships that somehow survived the tumultuous collapse of the Orokin Empire*. And so, despite the massive losses, the Narmer War was a time of unprecedented technological development.

Originally, the Balesk was intended exclusively as a Kuva Lich weapon, as Kuva Liches were some of the most consistently effective troops deployed against Narmer. The Harkonnar Production Zone (one of the least affected Grineer manufacturing concerns) refused to do so, to the face of one or both* Queens. 

In an uncharacteristic show of magnanimity and pragmatism, the Queens agreed** without eating him, and set to making this a mass-production model as opposed to an almost artisan-produced Kuva versions.

Currently, it’s suspected that the Grineer are attempting to phase weapons such as the Balesk (and its cousin, the Kamvor) into a more active role in service. Still, with typical Grineer fractiousness, Tenno wreaking merry hell on Grineer supply lines, and the centuries worth of conventional ballistic firearms and ammunition, that seems unlikely to happen any time soon.

Footnotes

* Both? Didn’t Hayden kill one of them? ~Haruka Lorne

Remind me again - how many times did you have to kill Archimedean Eymichi?  ~Ginebra

I mean, some of it wasn’t necessary, but point taken. Time to go ransack the Kuva Fortress again. I have a Buzlok build to test with Apthalia. ~Haruka Lorne

** Wait. How do we know about the parts we weren’t there for? ~Ginebra

Steel Meridian’s recruiting drive. Though I was talking to Garm, and I gotta say - I’m not sure that the surviving queen didn’t eat the Harkonar rep. ~ Haruka Lorne

Stats

Stats

Magazine: 18

Fire Rate: 4.1

Noise Level: Alarming

Trigger Type: semi

On Impact

Total Damage 80

40 Impact

30 Slash

10 Puncture

Crit Chance 35% 

Status Chance 26%

Headshot Multiplier: 3.6x

Noise Level Alarming

Radial

Total Damage 100

25 Impact

75 Electricity

Crit Chance 35%

Crit Multiplier 2.6x

Status Chance: 25%

Damage Falloff

100% damage up to 0 m

50% damage at 2.4m 

Projectile Type AoE

Contact-Detonation

On Impact

Total Damage 80

40 Impact

30 Slash

10 Puncture

Crit Chance 33% 

Status Chance 26%

Headshot Multiplier: 3.3x

Noise Level Alarming

Radial

Total Damage 100

25 Impact

75 Electricity

Crit Chance 32%

Crit Multiplier 2.6x

Status Chance: 26%

Damage Falloff

100% damage up to 0 m

50% damage at 2.4m 

Projectile Type AoE

Artist Notes

Anyway, I had a wee bit of a breakdown earlier as I realized: on the power scale WF now exists on, it’s hard for me to come up with Grineer weapons.  Five years ago, it would be easy enough for me to come up with Grineer assault rifles and shotguns and the like for rank-and-file. But now, we’ve all got some kind of depleted unobtainium firearm, a chaining beam, explosive weapons, the latest Incarnon guns, etc etc. In addition, when I’m not doing any of that, I’m adding some kind of funny gimmick.

How do I make a Grineer firearm that feels like it stands up to all of that?

It’s very difficult.

Although, I’ve been drawing up plenty of assault rifles with damage that ranges from 24 (that’s the Haoma) to the 70s or so (that’s the Bruin) for awhile, so what do I know? Probably wouldn’t be too hard to make a Grineer AN-94 later. That might be neat.

Actually, come to think of it, I do also have a 3-barrel Grineer rifle somewhere. Maybe I can also look at some of the weirder Russian prototype guns. That’s at least four ideas I have now.

So with that in mind, the best idea I had was to essentially make a Grineer bolter. Something unsubtle, powerful, and slow. Normally I draw stocks on these things, but part of the traditional Bolter Look (™) is to have a stockless gun with a massive barrel.

Also, I’ve been coming up with a bunch of fanmade faction guns (there’s even a void-flavored one in my photoshop! So, y’know, look out for that) and I felt spurred on to make a Grineer gun after just how many fan-faction guns I realized I’d created. There’s at least two, and the Void-flavored one isn’t finished yet. It made me think of my Runescape days. It brought back…

…memories…

Anyway. one thing that ultimately drove me from Runescape content back when I was young and immature was the fact that I was building the world up into something it wasn’t. That, and the fact that Runescape has just… absolutely boring grind. You think Warframe’s grind is bad? At least some of it involves actual combat. At least the Orb Vallis doesn’t have sub-PS1 graphics. At least I’m not just clicking “Use X” or “Interact with X” for hours straight, as opposed to actually being strategic and thinking about casting abilities, stealthing. At least Warframe doesn’t have the Squeal of Fortune right now.

You don’t know how good you have it. I swear, playing Runescape may very well have given me some form of brain damage.

The grineer making a Bolter like gun is very on brand. 

As for making new grineer guns, something that could only be made by a group that places little value on the life of its soldiers could be a good place to start. Like say weapons that shoot radiaoactive bullets/or just some sort of radioactive grenades sure it'll give the user cancer but what's more cancer for the Grineer. Or something that uses very wierd orokin tech, say orokin portal tech, that the grineer figured out via the time tested method of throwing boides at the problem until a solution was found. ect.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Neo3602 said:

Like say weapons that shoot radiaoactive bullets/or just some sort of radioactive grenades sure it'll give the user cancer but what's more cancer for the Grineer

did admittedly not do enough with my "nuclear grenade launcher" idea awhile back...

I could work with some stuff like the Admech's various... gratuitously unhealthy weapons. Stuff like radium weapons. This is a great idea! It'd fit well as Kuva Fortress weapons, what with how Kuva Guards seem to prefer slower, more powerful weaponry.

7 minutes ago, Neo3602 said:

The grineer making a Bolter like gun is very on brand. 

Thanks homedawg =D

7 minutes ago, Neo3602 said:

Or something that uses very wierd orokin tech, say orokin portal tech, that the grineer figured out via the time tested method of throwing boides at the problem until a solution was found. ect.

I don't know if I'll go so far as to use portal tech, but this is also a great idea. It does feel like a wee bit of a letdown we haven't seen more Seer-like stuff.

On 2023-05-13 at 7:27 PM, (XBOX)Fluffywolf36 said:

Artist Notes

Grinner kinda need to pivot to the kuva faction because hight armor and big boom just doest cut it anymore. A bit weird that the kuva weapons are light on gimmicks but at least the inclusion of kuva allow for some leway for bs. 

On 2023-05-13 at 7:27 PM, (XBOX)Fluffywolf36 said:

ndary fire, however, is much more interesting, and it is here in which the Balesk truly shines. It trades the massive damage per second of primary fire for the potential to set up devastating minefields with each shot. 

I hope the weapon is generous with its trap limitit becasue the castanas and aegrit kinda suck at it becuase of low maximim rojectiles out count. 

1 hour ago, keikogi said:

Grinner kinda need to pivot to the kuva faction because hight armor and big boom just doest cut it anymore. A bit weird that the kuva weapons are light on gimmicks but at least the inclusion of kuva allow for some leway for bs. 

On 2023-05-13 at 6:27 PM, (XBOX)Fluffywolf36 said:

Honestly, I just figured that the Kuva weapons are just sort of an excuse for DE to say "Here, these relatively normal guns are now endgame viable because.. Kuva mysticism or something."

Though I would admittedly like a Kuva weapon that has something more outside the box than "Hey look, the stats no longer show their age!"

Powercreep. it's a hell of a thing.

1 hour ago, keikogi said:

I hope the weapon is generous with its trap limitit becasue the castanas and aegrit kinda suck at it becuase of low maximim rojectiles out count. 

Sure, let's go with that!

I honestly didn't think too hard about the trap limit. The really big problem with trap limits is that... well, multishot. So many guns essentially come pre-broken before we can even touch the gimmick in any real way because everyone just puts on multishot.

1 hour ago, (XBOX)Fluffywolf36 said:

ven touch the gimmick in any real way because everyone just puts on multishot.

The problem isnt everyone putsw multshot, The problem is multshot is hilariosly good. 100% mulshot doubles both the damage and utility (status and whatever on hit effect the weapon has ) so the only desing space that does not benefit from multshot is an effect that always applies on the first hit and even them multshot and reduce arcuracy can be used for better "aoe"

2 hours ago, keikogi said:

The problem isnt everyone putsw multshot, The problem is multshot is hilariosly good.

That was part of what I meant when I mentioned "everyone puts on multishot."

Concur'd though. Multishot is just. It's such a broken-stat. I can increase the gun's chance to have some kind of effect, I can increase its chance to do extra damage, or I can just flat out double its damage which stacks with both. 

...Heh. Once, someone on the spacebattles forums said "I never use that sh*t" about multishot and everyone dunked on him. It was pretty funny.

2 hours ago, keikogi said:

multshot and reduce arcuracy can be used for better "aoe"

Though I would like more accurate Kulstar rockets...

• Like 1

Object 1235U (name subject to change) SMG/shotgun

“This bizarre nano-weapon shoots slowed heavy projectiles designed for close quarters against organic targets. Landing shots on organic targets within its optimal range triggers a substantiation operation that causes an explosion of nanites, while the ammunition fragments into a shotgunlike spray outside of said range.. Or when bouncing on hard surfaces.”
--Codex

Special Traits: No self-stagger

object_1235u_shotgun_smg_by_fluffywolf36

Lore

This firearm from the Kithships - massive, angular black ships found in Veil Proxima and the Far Black, rarely venturing past Saturn - was brought to the attention of the Tenno by one Darvo Bek.

It bears a resemblance to the nanomunition weapons of the long-dead Kraton of Iapetus.

Both use solid-state impeller coils to fire rounds made of nanomachine colonies. Object 1235u, however, fires slower, larger-caliber rounds that split into five shrapnel-like projectiles after traveling 24 meters. Upon impact with organic targets within its optimal range, Object 1235u’s rounds propagate and release a radial swarm of nanomachines, creating an effect not dissimilar to a gas damage explosion. 

Additionally, it bears a striking resemblance to the mysterious Object 45-i-98.

The result is a weapon not dissimilar to an SMG or shotgun. It operates at similar ranges to both, and while the stopping power does not seem to degrade as quickly as that of an SMG or automatic shotgun, the massive spread after 24 meters pushes it firmly into this role.

This appears to be a safety measure designed to restrict collateral damage while indoors. The shrapnel deals minimal impact damage to sensitive technology. However, it displays a surprising ability to wreak havoc on Corpus machines, suggesting that the nano-shrapnel possesses some kind of onboard IFF.

This level of technology would be remarkable even in the time of the Orokin, but the kithships - whoever, or whatever they are - are rather cagey about communicating with the Tenno for anything but the barest necessities.

Virtually nothing is known about the Kithships. The locations of their home base, (or bases?) their tech base, their culture, their population, their origins, the nature of their existence, all are unknown. 

Kithships often communicate through a single androgynous representative, who never gives a name. They use non-gendered pronouns to refer to themselves, and only name themselves as “The Kithship name,” in the same way a captain might say “this is the good ship Starpuncher*.”

Indeed, the Kithships were thought to be mythical until the Narmer War. Spacers beyond even far-off Pluto - Myconan expeditions to Eris, Grineer mining and garrison forces on far-off Sedna, and Corpus from the ill-fated Lucretia Platform - often referenced black ghost ships flitting from asteroid to Kibo**, stripping them of resources. In the seediest taverns on asteroid and lunar installations as close as Uranus and Neptune, rockhoppers, scavengers, rail agents, along with Steel Meridian freebooters would reference the “blacker-than-black,” or “old-yellow eyes,” a phenomenon where one would see something blot out the stars, and the vague sensation of a great angular shape, lit only by specks of dull yellow.

Indeed, these ships are commonly associated with the disappearance of well-established Orokin derelicts such as the Litany, in addition to disappearances of Corpus and Grineer ships that were often chalked up to Tenno sabotage.

Admittedly, sometimes they were Tenno sabotage, but there are numerous cases of Tenno having sabotaged or exterminated the population of Corpus and Grineer ships, only for those ships to never be found - or, sometimes, to be discovered looking for all the world like they’d been eaten by gigantic mouths.

And then the Narmer War happened.

During the Battle of Veil Proxima, numerous ships from the Alliance reported unknown black ships harassing Sentient Murexes, firing upon them with munitions that seemed to be mutagenic to the Sentient substrate, creating bizarre spiraling growths and deep rents in their carapaces.

Bizarre enough, but as the surviving un-Veiled population of the Origin System fled to Veil Proxima and the Far Black, sightings of the kithships skyrocketed exponentially. Three things became clear about them: 

1. They hoarded resources for no discernible purposes.

2. They guarded their technology with great intensity.

3. They really, really wanted to keep as far from the Technocyte, Sentients and Narmer as possible.

Equally bizarre, both Dziewanna and the Bidanians confessed to having stable trade relationships with the kithships. 

To this day, the kithships jealously guard their secrets from all including the Tenno, save for during Operation Kithship Exodus.

See the attached file on Operation Kithship Exodus for more details.

Footnotes

* Did you write this, Haruka? –Ginebra

And I’ll do it again. ~Haruka

** This is a corruption of the ancient term ‘Kuiper Belt Object’ - the Kuiper Belt is an archaic name for Veil Proxima and the Far Black. ~Haruka Lorne

Stats

Utility:

Type: Rifle

Trigger: Auto

Ammo Type: Primary

Fire rate: 5.25

Noise: Alarming

Magazine: 45

Reload: 3.5

Auto impact:

Total Damage: 84

14 Impact

30 Puncture

40 Slash

Ammo Cost: 1

Critical Chance: 24%

Critical Multiplier: 2.1x

Fire Rate: 5.25

Multishot: 1

Range: 24m

Status Chance: 32%

Auto AoE

Damage: 48 gas 

Self stagger: none 

Range: 1.5m

Falloff: 80% damage at 1.5m

Type: AoE

Shrapnel

Damage: 28 

20 Slash

8 puncture

Multishot: 5

Status Chance: 20%

Falloff: 

100% damage up to 20m (44m total)

40% damage at 30m (54m total)

Artist Notes:

I took the basic silhouette for this from some Destiny concept art.

Also yeah. This was a bit of a weird one. I wasn’t a hundred sure what I would do with this gun for a long time, and then I was thinking about Bucky’s altfire in Valorant, and I thought “okay, that’s pretty dope.” And also, making a projectile that splits midway through its trajectory seemed just Borderlands enough to work, so I added that in here.

And yes, I am making a shotgun based on this.

I think it seemed like an interesting way to cement that this is an SMG with falloff, or at least something falloff-like (?). The explosion was… honestly? I’m not a hundred percent sure. It seemed interesting enough, and I also patterned a lot of the stats here after the Trumna. 

Also, full disclosure - there’s a lot of stuff about this I’m playing close to my chest about the lore here. I have a lot of interesting things I want to write about the Kithships for a fanmade event idea, and I’m a little suspicious that I wrote too much here.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, (XBOX)Fluffywolf36 said:

Object 1235U (name subject to change) SMG/shotgun

“This bizarre nano-weapon shoots slowed heavy projectiles designed for close quarters against organic targets. Landing shots on organic targets within its optimal range triggers a substantiation operation that causes an explosion of nanites, while the ammunition fragments into a shotgunlike spray outside of said range.. Or when bouncing on hard surfaces.”
--Codex

Special Traits: No self-stagger

object_1235u_shotgun_smg_by_fluffywolf36

Lore

This firearm from the Kithships - massive, angular black ships found in Veil Proxima and the Far Black, rarely venturing past Saturn - was brought to the attention of the Tenno by one Darvo Bek.

It bears a resemblance to the nanomunition weapons of the long-dead Kraton of Iapetus.

Both use solid-state impeller coils to fire rounds made of nanomachine colonies. Object 1235u, however, fires slower, larger-caliber rounds that split into five shrapnel-like projectiles after traveling 24 meters. Upon impact with organic targets within its optimal range, Object 1235u’s rounds propagate and release a radial swarm of nanomachines, creating an effect not dissimilar to a gas damage explosion. 

Additionally, it bears a striking resemblance to the mysterious Object 45-i-98.

The result is a weapon not dissimilar to an SMG or shotgun. It operates at similar ranges to both, and while the stopping power does not seem to degrade as quickly as that of an SMG or automatic shotgun, the massive spread after 24 meters pushes it firmly into this role.

This appears to be a safety measure designed to restrict collateral damage while indoors. The shrapnel deals minimal impact damage to sensitive technology. However, it displays a surprising ability to wreak havoc on Corpus machines, suggesting that the nano-shrapnel possesses some kind of onboard IFF.

This level of technology would be remarkable even in the time of the Orokin, but the kithships - whoever, or whatever they are - are rather cagey about communicating with the Tenno for anything but the barest necessities.

Virtually nothing is known about the Kithships. The locations of their home base, (or bases?) their tech base, their culture, their population, their origins, the nature of their existence, all are unknown. 

Kithships often communicate through a single androgynous representative, who never gives a name. They use non-gendered pronouns to refer to themselves, and only name themselves as “The Kithship name,” in the same way a captain might say “this is the good ship Starpuncher*.”

Indeed, the Kithships were thought to be mythical until the Narmer War. Spacers beyond even far-off Pluto - Myconan expeditions to Eris, Grineer mining and garrison forces on far-off Sedna, and Corpus from the ill-fated Lucretia Platform - often referenced black ghost ships flitting from asteroid to Kibo**, stripping them of resources. In the seediest taverns on asteroid and lunar installations as close as Uranus and Neptune, rockhoppers, scavengers, rail agents, along with Steel Meridian freebooters would reference the “blacker-than-black,” or “old-yellow eyes,” a phenomenon where one would see something blot out the stars, and the vague sensation of a great angular shape, lit only by specks of dull yellow.

Indeed, these ships are commonly associated with the disappearance of well-established Orokin derelicts such as the Litany, in addition to disappearances of Corpus and Grineer ships that were often chalked up to Tenno sabotage.

Admittedly, sometimes they were Tenno sabotage, but there are numerous cases of Tenno having sabotaged or exterminated the population of Corpus and Grineer ships, only for those ships to never be found - or, sometimes, to be discovered looking for all the world like they’d been eaten by gigantic mouths.

And then the Narmer War happened.

During the Battle of Veil Proxima, numerous ships from the Alliance reported unknown black ships harassing Sentient Murexes, firing upon them with munitions that seemed to be mutagenic to the Sentient substrate, creating bizarre spiraling growths and deep rents in their carapaces.

Bizarre enough, but as the surviving un-Veiled population of the Origin System fled to Veil Proxima and the Far Black, sightings of the kithships skyrocketed exponentially. Three things became clear about them: 

1. They hoarded resources for no discernible purposes.

2. They guarded their technology with great intensity.

3. They really, really wanted to keep as far from the Technocyte, Sentients and Narmer as possible.

Equally bizarre, both Dziewanna and the Bidanians confessed to having stable trade relationships with the kithships. 

To this day, the kithships jealously guard their secrets from all including the Tenno, save for during Operation Kithship Exodus.

See the attached file on Operation Kithship Exodus for more details.

Footnotes

* Did you write this, Haruka? –Ginebra

And I’ll do it again. ~Haruka

** This is a corruption of the ancient term ‘Kuiper Belt Object’ - the Kuiper Belt is an archaic name for Veil Proxima and the Far Black. ~Haruka Lorne

Stats

Utility:

Type: Rifle

Trigger: Auto

Ammo Type: Primary

Fire rate: 5.25

Noise: Alarming

Magazine: 45

Reload: 3.5

Auto impact:

Total Damage: 84

14 Impact

30 Puncture

40 Slash

Ammo Cost: 1

Range: 24m

Auto AoE

Damage: 48 gas 

Self stagger: none 

Range: 1.5m

Falloff: 80% damage at 1.5m

Type: AoE

Shrapnel

Damage: 28 

20 Slash

8 puncture

Multishot: 5

Status Chance: 20%

Falloff: 

100% damage up to 20m (44m total)

40% damage at 30m (54m total)

Artist Notes:

I took the basic silhouette for this from some Destiny concept art.

Also yeah. This was a bit of a weird one. I wasn’t a hundred sure what I would do with this gun for a long time, and then I was thinking about Bucky’s altfire in Valorant, and I thought “okay, that’s pretty dope.” And also, making a projectile that splits midway through its trajectory seemed just Borderlands enough to work, so I added that in here.

And yes, I am making a shotgun based on this.

I think it seemed like an interesting way to cement that this is an SMG with falloff, or at least something falloff-like (?). The explosion was… honestly? I’m not a hundred percent sure. It seemed interesting enough, and I also patterned a lot of the stats here after the Trumna. 

Also, full disclosure - there’s a lot of stuff about this I’m playing close to my chest about the lore here. I have a lot of interesting things I want to write about the Kithships for a fanmade event idea, and I’m a little suspicious that I wrote too much here.

Love the form and the function.

• Like 1

On 2023-05-23 at 9:44 PM, (XBOX)Fluffywolf36 said:

Evidently, I'm not as burnt out as I thought, so here's some stuff I'm hammering out in my spare time:

IMG-5213.png?width=598&height=448

nanoshotgun_2.png?width=685&height=448

I'm not including the full image of that second one, as that would require me to export it to PNG right now and I'm genuinely worried that could brick my computer.

That looks fun!