Jade Shadows: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

My Clan Was Stolen!!! - A cautionary tale

Spafbi

This is why I have a clan purely consisting only of people I know in real life, so if anything dodgy goes on I can confront them directly.

I support you fully in this. DE don't seem to understand that sometimes people genuinely are unable to play games for a lengthy period of time, whether it be due to your career, a severe injury or psychological problems. Sixty days would definitely be a better amount. It's pretty underhanded that they won't at least send people an email letting them know that someone is trying to take their position as Warlord. The fact that the person who stole it out from under you is inactive himself and they still won't give you your clan back after you've explained everything speaks volumes to me. 

Why don't you try contacting one of the current members of the clan? If you explained the situation they'd probably help.

Okay... So when my wife gets me a **** load of games for Christmas. I'll remember to kick every one from my clan while a take a month long break to beat those games. 

Lol, is this the mentality DE wants Clans to have? I get you need to have a second in command to run things while you are gone, but if some random no name member can take it, I'm not going to risk having a second in command cover for me. I'd rather be 100% and just kick every one.

That's a shame. Thanks for the heads up OP.

2 minutes ago, (PS4)OmegaSlayer said:

One more reason to be a solo clan.

One more reason for DE to acknowledge solo clans.

Why? He was gone for more than 30 days. The the said new leader has been offline for 44 days so it's been a few months since the OP was last on.

1 minute ago, CadenFall said:

Okay... So when my wife gets me a **** load of games for Christmas. I'll remember to kick every one from my clan while a take a month long break to beat those games. 

Lol, is this the mentality DE wants Clans to have? I get you need to have a second in command to run things while you are gone, but if some random no name member can take it, I'm not going to risk having a second in command cover for me. I'd rather be 100% and just kick every one.

No you just keep in contact with your clan.

13 minutes ago, SilvaDreams said:

And how do I know discord chat logs or outside websites will hold up as proof. This is a policy that can be abused. DE will see an absence and pass the clan over to some one else with out knowing a leader was in contact. There are too many uncertainties.

Look, clans are different in this game, people spend years of game time building up a dojo and researching clan tech. There should be no reason to lose a clan.

I built a clan dojo over 2 years and gave it to my brother so I can build another clan. I was actually going to open it up to more than 10 people, but now I'm not. That's a huge bummer. I feel this policy discourages clan growth.

1 hour ago, SilvaDreams said:

Why? He was gone for more than 30 days. The the said new leader has been offline for 44 days so it's been a few months since the OP was last on.

1 hour ago, SilvaDreams said:

It seems like a job.

It's a game, not a job.

Some content is locked behind Dojo, and it's OK.

But there's an amount of people that wants to be free fromthe clan social mechanics.

That doesn't mean being misanthropic, it just mean that perhaps those mechanics don't gel with your real life or life style or real life urgencies.

I did read clan policy thing about warlord inactivity.

"If the Warlord(s) or Creator of a clan has been inactive for 30 days or longer they can be replaced by submitting a ticket to our support desk (we want to ensure that all clans are able to function correctly, which is not possible without at least one active Warlord). Digital Extremes makes it our policy not to get involved with internal clan matters and any other difficulties that may arise with a Warlord or other players in a clan will generally need to be resolved internally by the clan members involved."

I am clan creator myself so does it mean that i have to kick everyone out before i can go away for like a month for certain emergency reasons so one of my clanmates cant submit ticked and take over my clan , mess up dojo and also kick me? Or clan creator cant be kicked even if person makes ticket and gains warlord rank?

1 hour ago, CadenFall said:

Or you know... tell your clan you won't be on for a while or make a Discord server to keep in contact with them outside of the game like the OP didn't do.

it sux for your situation but it isn't obscure rule at all... it exist in almost any large mmo... i personally had to to use this rule in 2 different games cuz of same reason you did... guild leader just up and gone MIA and we were left hanging... and im glad this rule exist...

on the other hand i had bad experience with it to...  i came back to the game to find a fully dead guild... last member online was like 3 months ago... my rank was officer so below guild leader and vice leaders... officers didn't have right to invite players and i wanted to invite a friend so we could revive decently developed guild with guild warehouse and everything... but as i sent ticket to GM they promoted next player in rank in guild to guild leader... he was vice leader... that guy wasnt online for more than 5 months... their answer was he had the next highest right to guild leader position... and if i wanted to become leader i had to send another ticker in 30 days and than they can change it to another on priority list no matter the time of login... so i would get to leader postion in like 6-9 months... maybe...

I can sympathize, but having made use of this myself, I think it's a good policy.

Of course, my case was pretty extreme. Real friends originally created the clan, but I built every room, placed every decoration, and funded everything solo. After they had all been inactive for over 600 days I decided I should be warlord/founder. Giddy with my new power they were all immediately booted (but would be welcome back if they ever choose to return, crosses fingers that PoE will interest them). :)

51 minutes ago, ValloVN said:

I did read clan policy thing about warlord inactivity.

"If the Warlord(s) or Creator of a clan has been inactive for 30 days or longer they can be replaced by submitting a ticket to our support desk (we want to ensure that all clans are able to function correctly, which is not possible without at least one active Warlord). Digital Extremes makes it our policy not to get involved with internal clan matters and any other difficulties that may arise with a Warlord or other players in a clan will generally need to be resolved internally by the clan members involved."

I am clan creator myself so does it mean that i have to kick everyone out before i can go away for like a month for certain emergency reasons so one of my clanmates cant submit ticked and take over my clan , mess up dojo and also kick me? Or clan creator cant be kicked even if person makes ticket and gains warlord rank?

No, like any good leader have someone with the power to do things while you are gone and most importantly.. WARN THEM!

Then attempt to keep in contact via Discord or one of many, many messengers.

Just now, SilvaDreams said:

No, like any good leader have someone with the power to do things while you are gone and most importantly.. WARN THEM!

Then attempt to keep in contact via Discord or one of many, many messengers.

Well u cant 100% trust anyone. So warning them wont always help. But i wanted to know if Clan creator can be removed from clan even if someone else becomes warlord?

Just now, TheGodofWiFi said:

1. You clearly do care.

2. Why do you have to be such an &#!?

I clearly don't. I'm saying that if you didn't read the rules, and you didn't bother to take any precautions before leaving, then it's your fault, not DE's. If they, the OP, had taken just a few seconds to inform the clan, or kick members, or even just log in every now and then to stay "active", then it wouldn't have happened.

So yeah, again, sucks to be you, but it's your fault.

Just now, PrVonTuckIII said:

I clearly don't.

The fact you posted at all means you cared enough to share your opinion.

2 minutes ago, PrVonTuckIII said:

I'm saying that if you didn't read the rules, and you didn't bother to take any precautions before leaving, then it's your fault

While I agree that not taking any precautions is a little silly, how is it someones fault if they genuinely couldn't log into the game for an extended period of time? And does that mean the suggestion that DE should notify Warlords of someone trying to take over is a bad one? Why is there even a limit on a Warlords time at all in the first place?

7 minutes ago, PrVonTuckIII said:

So yeah, again, sucks to be you

Do you really need to add that condescending piece at the end or do you just want too?

9 minutes ago, TheGodofWiFi said:

While I agree that not taking any precautions is a little silly, how is it someones fault if they genuinely couldn't log into the game for an extended period of time? And does that mean the suggestion that DE should notify Warlords of someone trying to take over is a bad one? Why is there even a limit on a Warlords time at all in the first place?

Seriously, how long does it take to literally boot up the game, walk around, and log out? You don't even need to do anything. That's.... what? 5 minutes? Even a serious workaholic could manage that every week or so. Now, if you're talking about connectivity or technical issues, then that's something you should be clearing with support before hand, or fixing yourself as soon as you can. 

Apart from that, I think it's a good idea for you to get an email from Support if you've been inactive for more than a few weeks, or if someone is trying to usurp you. I'm not against that, but that's not a thing right now, and it's wholly the OP's fault for not taking measures beforehand. As for the limit, I have no clue. Never really looked into clan management. 

1 minute ago, PrVonTuckIII said:

Seriously, how long does it take to literally boot up the game, walk around, and log out? You don't even need to do anything. That's.... what? 5 minutes? Even a serious workaholic could manage that every week or so. Now, if you're talking about connectivity or technical issues, then that's something you should be clearing with support before hand, or fixing yourself as soon as you can. 

Apart from that, I think it's a good idea for you to get an email from Support if you've been inactive for more than a few weeks, or if someone is trying to usurp you. I'm not against that, but that's not a thing right now, and it's wholly the OP's fault for not taking measures beforehand. As for the limit, I have no clue. Never really looked into clan management. 

I think they mean extreme cases like they lost everything cause of a hurricane  maybe a tragic accident or something?

I do agree that it's OP's fault for taking a hiatus without seeming to notify the clan at all not even maybe through the MOTD.

Weird thing is according to the OP a clan member with the lowest rank possible received the leader/founder position by DE and decided to boot them and possibly others from the clan before going on hiatus themselves.

1 minute ago, Madway7 said:

I think they mean extreme cases like they lost everything cause of a hurricane  maybe a tragic accident or something?

I do agree that it's OP's fault for taking a hiatus without seeming to notify the clan at all not even maybe through the MOTD.

Weird thing is according to the OP a clan member with the lowest rank possible received the leader/founder position by DE and decided to boot them and possibly others from the clan before going on hiatus themselves.

And I'm not against taking a look at that system. Only sufficiently ranked members should be able to kick Warlords, or those who have contributed a great deal to the Clan. I'm against the OP claiming that this was somehow DE's fault, when it was their own for not paying attention. As for extreme circumstances: well, I mean, those are rather rare, and again, you will usually have a way of contacting the clan/support before whatever tragedy hits.

1 minute ago, PrVonTuckIII said:

Seriously, how long does it take to literally boot up the game, walk around, and log out?

Is it really impossible for you to envision a scenario in which someone literally cannot play a game for a month? Maybe someones career sends them overseas or on an extended trip. Maybe someone has an illness that confines them to a hospital bed for extend period of time. Perhaps someone literally just does not know about this ridiculous time limit on clan leaders as it is a pretty obscure and bizarre thing. Tbh I didn't even know there was a Warlord absence limit until this thread. Just why?

6 minutes ago, PrVonTuckIII said:

As for the limit, I have no clue. Never really looked into clan management. 

So it's just another thing DE added for no reason. I sympathise with the OP fully in this regard. Why on Earth can a creator of a clan, who put time and effort into making the dojo, research, finding an alliance and creating an emblem be kicked at the tip of a hat on the word of some new member who has donated nothing? That is the definition of a swindle. I'm going to bring this up in the next devstream question thread.

I would be extremely pissed for being booted out of the house that I built myself...

If your clan leader left/is on hiatus and it's that important to you to have an active leader, leave the clan and find another one. Don't just usurp someone else's, especially if you didn't make any effort in contributing to any of the research or construction...

2 minutes ago, PrVonTuckIII said:

And I'm not against taking a look at that system. Only sufficiently ranked members should be able to kick Warlords, or those who have contributed a great deal to the Clan.

Even then the Warlord should be notified. Otherwise it makes it look like DE is incompetent/lazy.

3 minutes ago, PrVonTuckIII said:

you will usually have a way of contacting the clan/support before whatever tragedy hits.

If a tragedy does hit, I don't think the first thing that people think of is "Gee I better make sure my Warframe clan knows about this".

Finally read all replies to this, and to the OP, I feel sry for you. At least it was a small clan. Imagine getting kicked out from a massive clan(I haven’t btw just still it would be bad)

To @PrVonTuckIII if you don’t know about clan management then you wouldn’t exactly know how hard it is to come back up from what the OP was from. 

7 minutes ago, TheGodofWiFi said:

Is it really impossible for you to envision a scenario in which someone literally cannot play a game for a month? Maybe someones career sends them overseas or on an extended trip. Maybe someone has an illness that confines them to a hospital bed for extend period of time. Perhaps someone literally just does not know about this ridiculous time limit on clan leaders as it is a pretty obscure and bizarre thing. Tbh I didn't even know there was a Warlord absence limit until this thread. Just why?

Again, in a scenario where you don't have an access to a computer/internet, 99% of the time, you will be able to inform people before hand, so things don't happen, or kick your clan members while you're away. In terms of medical conditions, where you're confined to a bed.... worst-case, you simply ask someone else to do it for you, or whatever. There's a solution for practically anything you bring up. 

Again, ignorance is not an excuse. If you didn't know, then that's your fault.

So it's just another thing DE added for no reason. I sympathise with the OP fully in this regard. Why on Earth can a creator of a clan, who put time and effort into making the dojo, research, finding an alliance and creating an emblem be kicked at the tip of a hat on the word of some new member who has donated nothing? That is the definition of a swindle. I'm going to bring this up in the next devstream question thread.

They probably do have a reason; we just don't know it. Again, like I stated above, I'm not against a re-looking at the system. Someone who's completely new shouldn't have the ability to be promoted that far. I'm definitely for the idea of support notifying players beforehand that someone is advocating for their kicking, so that they can respond accordingly to prevent themselves from being kicked.

Seriously, I'm with you here on everything, except for the fact that this is DE's fault. The OP should have done something, especially since this was no emergency. 

3 minutes ago, TheGodofWiFi said:

If a tragedy does hit, I don't think the first thing that people think of is "Gee I better make sure my Warframe clan knows about this".

"BEFORE." I said before the emergency, one should have a method. For example: evacuation due to weather/natural events: Undoubtedly you'll be given several days of warning beforehand. Therefore, once other things are taken care of, take a minute to notify your clan, or support of your absence.

Edit:

Just now, EndermanBeast said:

To @PrVonTuckIII if you don’t know about clan management then you wouldn’t exactly know how hard it is to come back up from what the OP was from. 

I said I didn't look into things like the Warlord limit. I know exactly how Clans function, considering I was a Warlord of one for a while, and am in a fairly large one at the moment. 

Edited by PrVonTuckIII