The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

What are Mods, Really?

TheBrsrkr

my guess is that all weapons have an on-board computer system and mods act as programs that change the weapon's capabilities. important components are digitally constructed while other parts are solid, machined metallic parts. Void-based technology may have a place in there as well, as it could boost Orokin weaponry without giving the Sentients a chance to take it over like they did with the Orokin's more advanced weaponry.

16 hours ago, UmbraCorporation said:

Mods are initially "components" dropped from enemies and/or given as special rewards. The more advanced the enemy, the more special mod usually is. Now, this is where it gets murky because why is it that Tenno are able to "profit" from the death of our enemies? At least in a game like Doom, the logic is that the Doom Slayer is able to gain powers and energy from the death of his foes. But Warframe never "quite" explained this. I think it's just the shooter/looter logic that supports this, as there is no real "lore" behind mods and such, to my knowledge. 

You know what? This actually got me thinking. What if enemies also utilize the mods they drop? This would add a lot more animation and ways enemies function. It could be a way to not only see random generated tiles, but also in enemies fighting approach.

Edited by (XB1)Riknav

29 minutes ago, (Xbox One)Riknav said:

You know what? This actually got me thinking. What if enemies also utilize the mods they drop? This would add a lot more animation and ways enemies function. It could be a way to not only see random generated tiles, but also in enemies fighting approach.

they do in sorties. xd

Mods (formerly known as Orokin Artifacts) are remnant technology from the Old War that Tenno can use TODAYYYYY!!

And if you act within the next 37,000 cycles, you also get the Sentient Hammer™ for free! It's absolutely guaranteed to destroy any and all Sentients with a single strike, or your credits back!

WARNING: Sentient Hammer™ is not sanctioned for real combat use by the Orokin High Council, any and all use of the Sentient Hammer™ on actual Sentients will be seen as a violation of Executor Accord 67-9124.3b and punishable by summary immolation. The Sentient Hammer™ is also highly toxic, radioactive, combustible, and presents a choking hazard for small Tenno under the age of 6,000 cycles. The packaging of the Mods as well as those of the Sentient Hammer™ are NOT toys and should not be left around Tenno un-supervised. The Orokin High Council does not claim any responsibility for faulty or broken Mods or Sentient Hammers™, and any/all complaints or legal actions should be deferred to the Corpus & Corpus Space Litigation offices. Any injuries or damages to persons or properties sustained from the improper use or assembly of Mods or the Sentient Hammer™ are at the User's own risk and liability. The Sentient Hammer™ is NOT designed to be used as a normal hammer, and normal hammer actions should not be attempted with the Sentient Hammer™ under ANY circumstances. For any other questions, concerns, or for more information, have your Cephalon dial 1-800-555-HMMR on the Space Phone, or send a Space text with the words SENTIENT HAMMER™ to 37373. Standard messaging rates apply.

Basically, as far as I've seen from the in-game technology displayed to us, modifications are essentially nanotechnological enhancements and adjustments applied to equipment in order to bring out various effects. Their names are almost always self-explanatory as to how the weapon's components and ammunition are modified, although, as with what one previous poster said, i'm pretty sure that stance modifications are "slot-in" chips for our bio-android's brain that contain a move-set likely once practiced by a particularly proficient Dax.

With luck, the Orokin may have even waited till said Dax died before ripping the techniques from their brain and recording them engramatically. . . but. . .the Old War might have overridden ethics like that, especially since the Dax became ineffective against the Sentients. 

As for Endo and the Fusion Cores before it? Auxiliary power for the nanotechnological systems in the case of the Cores, perhaps some manner of high-power "feed" for the micro-machines within the adjustment in the case of Endo. The more you put in, the more they grow in population and efficiency, eventually reaching levels on par with the perfection you can expect spat out of the "brand-breed" that lives in your nano-forge.

Just my wooden-nickel on the matter.

Edited by Unus

3 hours ago, (Xbox One)Riknav said:

I don't mean modded zones. If a butcher has seismic wave then his energy release PbAOE slam would reflect that.

I believe this exact question was asked in the past, and it was at least hinted at that enemies use Mods in some capacity, just like us, hence why they carry them.

20 hours ago, DeMeritus said:

Hell ya Look Around you!

My impression was that they where some sort of hard drive like thing that programed the machine you put into it to program the gun ina  specific way. or nanite canisters. 

How many licks does it take to get to the center of a mod?The world may never know.