The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

What would happen if Warframe was built on the Unreal Engine?

METAHUMVN

I'm just curious. I know that the Evolution Engine is DE's proprietary game engine but I often wonder why they didn't use an engine like Unreal, which in my opinion, would've made the game look a whole lot better. I'm not saying it looks bad right now, but I've seen how the Evolution Engine works and I feel like it sometimes adds to the "musty" smell that Steve talked about. I'm not saying anything bad about DE or anything; I just wanna know why. 

Edited by UMBRACORP

The fact that they use their own proprietary engine is what gives them the freedom to do things like making the Plains of Eidolon. It also saves on budget when you don't have to pay licensing fees for use of the engine (Remember, DE was in fairly dire financial straits before Warframe took off). Maybe it would look nicer on Unreal (Though I think the game is actually pretty good-looking as it is), but I can guarantee it would not be nearly as optimised.

the graphical limits you see arent bound to the engine itself, but are due to the fact that its a FTP game and because of that is supposed to run on the biggest amount of hardware possible.

And when you keep an eye on potatoes you cant do too much for high-end hardware (because yeah you can scale it, but still you will never see the best looking games running good on potatoes even at min settings)

Darn ftp games must run decently on laptop integrated graphics.

Edited by JohnKable

Short answer is Unreal engine sucks pickles, it's very nice but eat up hella ram, I play paragon and have to set everything to it's lowest settings so it looks like i'm playing Runescape and it's still hella lagy, if i play solo i Warframe i can play out on maxed out setting just fine, if i want to run smoothly in high impact team play i set thing to medium, *lags sometimes, so if i want to run it even smoother i flip it to low and the graphics still looks great.