The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Tenno Memory: Closing the mastery gap without compromising exclusivity or breaking promises

Callback

I would like to propose a simple system for closing the mastery gap while leaving founder and beta items exclusive.

Tenno Memory focus nodes.

For 50k (100k for Excalibur Prime) focus of any school, you can unlock one of these nodes.

"Unlocks shared Tenno memories of wielding ______, a forgotten weapon from long ago."

Unlocking the node adds that weapon/frame to your profile arsenal completion at rank 30, giving you the mastery points for it, despite you not having the actual item.

This system is specifically for founder/beta lost items, and other lost items that are never to be released again.  It keeps mastery and items separate.  The items remain exclusive, as DE is bound to their word on that (As a founder I wouldn't mind Excal Prime being openly released but it's not up to me), but the mastery points previously locked behind them are freed to be shared by all Tenno.

And on a side note fixing the daily login system to allow catch-up on the weapons/mods (not sigils) would be nice too.

Edited by Callback

Speaking as a non-founder who's put a lot of hours into the game... I'm honestly ok with the mastery gap. Mostly because the gap is very small, and also because beyond a certain point (MR12 or so) mastery just doesn't matter except for epeen. And while I am all for having a larger epeen, I feel like it's lessened if I didn't really earn it. I saw Warframe's founder program, I thought about buying in, and I decided not to. That's my loss. Just as it's my loss that I didn't get the syandana for this year's anniversary.

I'm not necessarily opposed to this idea, and it's certainly a very elegant solution. But speaking for myself, it's a 'problem' I don't mind putting up with.

1 minute ago, Omega-Shadowblade said:

except they can't by contract. Would be nice but eh, whatever.

Oh, I know. This is the only real solution, but I still don't like the animosity that the exclusivity creates. 

Edited by JuicyPop

2 minutes ago, Omega-Shadowblade said:

except they can't by contract. Would be nice but eh, whatever.

There is no contract.  Just some small promises, but I do respect them for sticking to those promises. (but they never promised Primed Chamber would be exclusive and in fact Rebecca bade a statement clarifying that it was never meant to be)

Just now, Callback said:

There is no contract.  Just some small promises, but I do respect them for sticking to those promises. (but they never promised Primed Chamber would be exclusive and in fact Rebecca bade a statement clarifying that it was never meant to be)

I call it a contract, but its just a loose term. There is a legally binding agreement about it not being re released.

2 minutes ago, Jorak_Falconstar said:

Nope..

you do the grind the you get the rewards.. no free handouts

I didn't realize that happening upon a game in its infancy and throwing money at it because you enjoyed some aspect of it was considered a "grind." There's no need to be snarky about this. 

Edited by JuicyPop

2 minutes ago, Jorak_Falconstar said:

Nope..

you do the grind the you get the rewards.. no free handouts

This is the grind.  Focus grind.  Since there is literally no current grind (does building a time machine count as grind?) to unlock that MR.

Just now, (Xbox One)Tucker D Dawg said:

The MR is meaningless at any respectable MR level - above 18 e.g. so all rivens are available.  

The login day rewarded weapons will continue to be a MR gap anyway. I am soundly in  the whotf cares camp.

They will be forced to fix that eventually (soonish).  Different thread.

4 minutes ago, (Xbox One)Tucker D Dawg said:

Forced eh? we mere tenno now control the devs? LOL

We collectively control their income...

An unhappy consumer base is less likely to make purchases.

Edited by Callback

3 minutes ago, (Xbox One)Tucker D Dawg said:

Forced eh? we mere tenno now control the devs? LOL

It's just a natural conclusion. It's a ticking time bomb issue that needs to be dealt with before it blows up in their face as casual interest, the lifeblood of any f2p, in the game dies off. 

Edited by JuicyPop

Just now, Callback said:

We collectively control their income...

pssh - we can't collective control ourselves.

"More fishing" - "Less Fishing"

"Harder Sorties" - "Easier Sorties"

"Focus grind too much" "Focus grind is fine"

"Login rewards are fine cause I have them" "Login rewards make me butthurt cause I don't"

"Operator is terrible" "I love the operator"

"Kuva in the sorties" "No Kuva in sorties"

"Arcanes out of the raids" "keep them in the raids"

We don't control jack squat.

The issue with this is that it devalues (even if its only slightly) what the Founders have. 

The idea is great - I just think it's missing a little something.

Why not implement a borrowing system, like what Runescape had? Have a blue party hat? Loan it out for 1m per hour. 

This game could add a similar system. If someone was so dead set on being a completionist, but they weren't around or didn't financially support the game during the founders-funding, they can borrow Excal prime from a founder, in order to gain the mastery points on it. It opens a way for Founders to make profit off of their status and exclusives, and it allows for complitionists to get that mastery rank, without actually owning Excal prime and other exclusives.

There needs to be give and take. The system your suggesting now only gives to non-founders, and takes away from founders. This is why most founders wont be on board with it. The system I am suggesting gives to non-founders, and also gives to founders as well. It adds a new way for Founders to express their status, more so than just wearing their exclusives and having people look at it. They can actually profit off their exclusives, and have the ease of mind that they'll always have it, and the people they loan it to will never be able to permanently have it. I'm sure there will still be people opposed to what I suggested though, as there is truly no right answer to the Founders discussion. 

Edit: A borrowing system would also go much further than just borrowing exclusives to get the mastery rank points on it. You could borrow weapons or warframes to see if you even like them, before you grind for it. This would also open up a new economy, that rewards players for achieving higher MR, and collecting all the weapons/warframes. Imagine being able to loan out Tactical Alert exclusives that you know will come back, but are still a ways out. Someone gives you 20 platinum, in exchange for 5 hours of something like Imperiator Vandal. Or someone wants the Machete or the Boar. It would create a really unique and niche submarket, that would be capitalized by both high mastery rank players and more casual players. 

Edited by (XB1)G R A V O C

15 minutes ago, Callback said:

That was my point.  There's an "agreement" but nothing legally binding.

The way it was explained to me was:

The legally binding contract was the bill of sale. Stating that these founders  items are exclusive to x amount of time only was the contract. 

Edited by (XB1)RDeschain82

So... how far behind a 100% complete founder person is a 100% complete free to play person? I mean, does it matter? Isn't there a mastery rank cap regardless? The rewards for a single rank are rather low, unless you hit one for a free load out slot, I love those, even though several MR23+ guys in my group don't even use them so, to each their own. Unless it gets to the point where there's multiple MR difference, I think this is a non issue.