Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Wraithe the Reaper Incarnate: Ghost-Type Warframe Concept Art Presentation

Volkovyi

Good Day Fellow Warframes and Tenno,

We wish to present to you a fan concept design and presentation we have worked on for our Character and Environment Concept Art class, whilst also contributing to the Warframe community. Please enjoy and let me know what you think.

You can find more of our work on our online galleries:

https://www.artstation.com/liger-inuzuka

https://twitter.com/Liger_Inuzuka

Full Project on Artstation: https://www.artstation.com/artwork/DJk4n

Full Piece

liger-inuzuka-presentation-graphic-1200.

Abilities

Spoiler

liger-inuzuka-f-abilities-1.jpg?15095618

liger-inuzuka-f-abilities-2.jpg?15095619

liger-inuzuka-f-abilities-3.jpg?15095619

liger-inuzuka-f-abilities-4.jpg?15095619

Alternate Colors

Spoiler

liger-inuzuka-alt-colors.jpg?1509561916

Additional Sketches

Spoiler

liger-inuzuka-sketches.jpg?1509561986

All information about Wraithe's passive, and abilities, are written in the images themselves. Please let us know if you have problems viewing some images or formatting. If the above images are not showing up, you can also view the full project here as well: https://www.artstation.com/artwork/DJk4n

We hope you enjoy!

Edited by Volkovyi
  • Like 1

Ah, reminds me of the style that the beast-frame was presented in. On the one hand, I feel like some of this machine's capabilities infringe upon the dominion that Nekros rules over with a gnarled alloy fist.

That being said, his abilities both seem unique enough and reasonable enough for him to be feasible as an officially-"licensed" Warframe, it's his theme that kind of has me wondering about implementability.

Overall? Much applause on both presentation and artistic design, like a fine dining serving.

That's really amazing to be honest... Usually, I don't like warframe concepts either because they all seem fairly un-planned but this one seems to be a pretty solid concept. New, interesting abilities and a pretty nice synergistic kit for his 1, 2, and 4, and a strong third ability. His 1 reminds me of reaper from overwatch a bit, so if this ever gets added I suppose I'll only be able to play him with the Akbronco prime xD

Lovely design and art, by the way!

Now, just to preface, I really like the Design, Concept and Execution. just some minor criticism.

I'm not crazy about the Helmet in Reaper form, It's a little bit too Bloodborne for me, but i'm sure the alternate helmet would fix that.

There doesn't seem to be a real description of what Reaper Form does, other than Empowered powers and a Death Mark, I'm assuming that he uses those big Claws.

It says that you can Teleport to the Black Hole using Reap, does that mean that it Overrides the directional Teleport mechanic of Reap and just moves you to the Black Hole?

(This is less a Criticism and more a subjective opinion) What if the Black Hole worked almost like Nyx's Absorb, or if instead of Teleporting to it with Reap, you swapped places with it.

This is also subjective, but i like stealth gameplay, and a stealth, invisibility fly ability with a loud Explosion at the end seems counter intuitive.

(Midway through writing this and i just realized that almost all of it is subjective, so consider this just an opinion/question post.)

So with Tombstone, you cast, then you recast to respawn, I feel like it would make more sense (To me) if you cast it, and then if you die (go to Bleed Out) instead you respawn at the Tombstone, at the cost of Souls.

Speaking of Souls, how does that work? it adds additional cosmetics (Like Nidus) the more you get, but whats the limit? is there a limit? What do you mean by it "Powers" his abilitys? does it do something other than determine how his 4th works? does it add Power Strength, Range or Efficiency to his first three abilitys? maybe it gives an armor bonus? (like Nidus).

alright, those were all of my questions and critiques for now, just remember that this is all my opinion, i'm not saying this isn't a good concept (its great) all i'm saying is there are a few things that i'd prefer over what's written. on a side note, I adore the shoes, they're so cool looking, like a mix between Trinity Deluxe and Banshee Prime. but, his abdomen/hip region is a little too similar to Necros for me.

That's all, Thanks for reading the wall, take no offense, as none is intended. just talking.

9 hours ago, YoshixInfinite said:

There doesn't seem to be a real description of what Reaper Form does, other than Empowered powers and a Death Mark, I'm assuming that he uses those big Claws.

It says that you can Teleport to the Black Hole using Reap, does that mean that it Overrides the directional Teleport mechanic of Reap and just moves you to the Black Hole?

(This is less a Criticism and more a subjective opinion) What if the Black Hole worked almost like Nyx's Absorb, or if instead of Teleporting to it with Reap, you swapped places with it.

This is also subjective, but i like stealth gameplay, and a stealth, invisibility fly ability with a loud Explosion at the end seems counter intuitive.

(Midway through writing this and i just realized that almost all of it is subjective, so consider this just an opinion/question post.)

So with Tombstone, you cast, then you recast to respawn, I feel like it would make more sense (To me) if you cast it, and then if you die (go to Bleed Out) instead you respawn at the Tombstone, at the cost of Souls.

Speaking of Souls, how does that work? it adds additional cosmetics (Like Nidus) the more you get, but whats the limit? is there a limit? What do you mean by it "Powers" his abilitys? does it do something other than determine how his 4th works? does it add Power Strength, Range or Efficiency to his first three abilitys? maybe it gives an armor bonus? (like Nidus).

As a general personal rule in design we don't like to include too many hard-line statistics or numbers, as we want the point of the concept to be the idea and not technicalities. Technicalities can easily be changed while the idea or concept is what matters first. 

That being said, I didn't want to restrict the concept to an arbitrary number of Soul capacity or how exactly his abilities are empowered, that would be up to DE who best know how their game works.

To answer some of your questions; If you aim towards the Black Hole using Iron Sights in the same room or one/two rooms over (depending on tile size) and then use Reap, you would teleport to the Black Hole. That way no accidental teleports would happen.

Given the nature of Warframe and its game-play, I didn't want to restrict him to stealth. The silent flight is counter-intuitive yes, but imagine it more as a sudden initialization of combat in some circumstances. Perhaps if used that way "surprised" enemies could be stunned longer for example. Or a method of advanced movement like "flying" to second floors in some tilesets.

The Tombstone is specifically a utility power that I want to leave in complete control of the player's needs. Its not specifically supposed to be used as a "second life" but rather a creative use of a....save point of sorts. Perhaps maybe to extend the time of the Reaper form for example or whatever else a player could come up with. That is why I didn't want its respawn to be automatic, especially if the player accidentally saved at a bad point because it could totally revert Wraith back to low health or no ammo if done so.

The Souls are supposed to be a unique resource similar to Nidus's stacks, to help with some scaling. This inspired me because I believe Nidus is one of the best, well designed, enjoyable Warframe concepts in recent times because of that scaling, and I wish more Warframes were flexible like that. The more Souls Wraithe collects, it is visually shown on his body with the "ghosty clothing" you can see in the passive section of the main image. Now, I would like it to make Wraithe stronger in some way, both himself and his abilities. Perhaps he does get tankier, or more shields, or his abilities do more damage, more range, etc. Those things would again be a technicality that I do not want to strictly establish, other than yes the Souls empower him.

As for his Reaper form, its sort of like an exalted mode where the player can not use their weaponry, only Reaper's abilities and melee. He would use his claws in unique melee combos and motions, with great extended range. Imagine a lot of spinny slashes and elegant movements that make the best use of his long, bendy arms and claws. As Reaper you have advanced mobility, so like bullet jumps are longer, farther, you can double or triple jump, "slides" are longer and damaging, etc. In this instance, Souls determine the duration of how long you are in Reaper form, but his strength and scaling is determined by how many Souls you had upon cast, and perhaps some stats pulled from your equipped melee weapon as he is also a Melee form technically.

Thank you for being so clear about everything, I've always loved the concept of a Ghost Frame, so i get really invested when a new one comes out.

And thank you for helping me understand that alot needs to be left vague for DE to properly utilise.

I do really hope that this concept get's enough attention, and eventually gets implemented by DE. It really is a fantastic design.

Really nicely done concept OP,  this is I wanted Nekros to be.

A couple suggestions for his ult

1. Maybe give him a ranged attack to go along with his claws, perhaps an energy bolt that uses souls as ammo so people don't just hang back and spam that.

2. Have his ult empower his abilities with additional effects instead of just increasing range/damage.