Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Warframe Needs Gunswords

Scarletmenace

• 2 months later...

Although a "Gunblade" idea would be nice for some, there are some issues of engine and programming limitations in which can go so far. Although you like to think that such a weapon would improve the game, it is simply not viable. Tenno are masters of gun and blade, yes, but using something that is, believe it or not, licensed by the makers of FF series, makes it rather impossible. Warframe isn't a manga or anime at all and the FF stuff should be left in the corner with the unrealistic, even though Nekros got in, not our call.

And the one that said "Magical Powers", the story and even the tutorial in the game says in basic terms the warframes are a form of advance technologies. Also the fact that the Warframes were crafted by the Orokin, which from the visual design of the ships and stations in the void, puts the Orokin as a civilization that could bend the nature around them into powerful technologies. Not magic, advance organic technology.

Gunblade concept I would have to say a big fat no, cause it's much of a FF idea, rather than a orokin, grineer, or corpus designed weapon.

Edited by Zenn

Thanks for proving my point. That is a great, war proven rifle with a bayonet attached. Which would make a terrible sword. But is decent for poking at things when you're out of ammo. Any trained soldier will tell you that a knfe in the hand is far deadlier than a bayonet on a rifle. Hence the compromise and my point.

Also this is about gunswords and something trying to fit TWO distinct roles. A bayonet is not that. A bayonet is nothing but a last resort.

It's not supposed to be a sword, it's a spear. Something that the game doesn't actually have as of yet.

Anyone heard of virtual on? Temjin? Now that was a gun/sword.  

Temjin is awesome, and his sword is part spear, part gun, and part sword. What I don't get is that everyone is complaining about how Warframe is supposedly different from Final Fantasy, in that, we can't have gunswords because they're unrealistic, or impractical.

SO WHAT

Warframe is by nature impractical, look at the glaive, if not for the fact that it's alive it wouldn't come back. So if a gunblade, gunspear, gunhammer, or whatever else gun plus melee we have exists why shouldn't it have a place in Warframe?

Because of not only lore, but because of limitations of the program itself. Continuing the argument of wanting Gunblades is simply reiterating the same claim over and over. Weapons that were widely known would be more appropriate for the warframe lore. The part that isn't as obvious is the programmable limitations of the Evolution Engine does not grant every single aspect someone wants if they were doing the programming. Every engine has its limits to what can be created, scripted, and rendered. Without understanding that there are limitations that make such weapons more time consuming than creating a new faction or more direct weapon(A rifle, sword, etc.). The Glaive has a melee and ranged attack, but its a throwable, not a firearm. Firearms and throwables are different, since one uses momentum and the other uses a propellant. There for it can be justified that Gunblades can not exist in the warframe universe, rendering the argument null and void. Unless you can think of something that isn't a weapon from the FF series, refrain from merging two completely different genre games.

Also the Glaive is not alive, I had stated it and other Orokin tech that they are Bio-organic Technology. It just looks alive.

Edited by Zenn

Well, putting the discussion of whether its suitable or not to the side and looking at the possibility there's naturally a few things that needs to be tackled.

1) How to make it easily usable.

¤The easiest way would simply have it occupying the Ranged Weapon slot (Primary or Secondary) it belongs to and have it so that when that weapon is drawn/active and you use a melee attack the currently equppied weapon is used instead of your melee weapon. 

(This way you can Shot, Aim, Melee Attack and Charge)

2) What about Mods.

¤It can be either A) There's a section for both the Gun and Melee part. B) It uses only Melee mods. C) It uses only Ranged Weapon mods.

The problems with B and C looking beyond the simple idea that Hornet Strike and Pressure Point could replace one another is that on B you can't increase the Reload speed, attack rate, max ammunition or magazine size etc..., and on C you can't strengthen the charge or reach among other things.

So A becomes the only really viable solution, and if you don't reduce the amount Mod slots then it essentially means that you got yourself another melee weapon, it might work well in combination with a Throw weapon as your melee.

3) What the original purpose of a Gun-Blade, is it needed.

¤ A gun-Blade is used to counter the need to Draw you Melee/Ranged weapon when your using one and is in dire need of using the other one, it allows of an easy and quick switch, getting that ranged target when your using your melee weapon or striking down that enemy that gets dangerously close when your using your ranged weapon.

4) Mechanics of Warframe Combat.

Warframe uses a function were you Do Not Switch between ranged and melee, you can instantly attack with your melee weapon when you have your ranged weapon out, and you can instantly fire your ranged weapon (assuming its loaded) when fighting with your melee weapon.

This in of itself, entirely removes the Mechanical need for Gun-Blade weaponry.

So, I would conclude that a Gun-Blade would be redundant with the current mechanics.

• 7 months later...

I think it would be cool the gunblade were one weapon which used both a ranged and melee slot, so you couldn't use a gunblade and a dakra prime, or a paris prime and a gunblade. You could use it like a latron as a primary (marksman rifle) and a sword for the melee (maybe a few combo's involve a gunshot or two.) Basically, it'd be 1 weapon with 2 modes.

well i don't know if we can take a Weapon that is mainly in Final Fantasy

Final fantasy doesn't have a tradmark on all things gun and blade lol (although it would probably be best to call it something other than a gunblade.) This is High Noon Yasuo from League of Legends:

Yasuo-High-Noon-Splash-Art.jpg

This is a Spanish flintlock sword revolver:

Swordrevolver.jpg

Elgin Cutlass Pistol:

800px-Elgin_cutlass_pistol.jpg

Lost Planet Gun Sword:

Gunsword.jpg

Just for fun, here's a gun lance from Monster Hunter:

350px-Gunlance.jpg

(there's A Lot more, but this post's pretty large already...)

Edited by Snowman486

i was gonna post how i thought the moveset would go and what weapon restrictions would be associated

then it took too long so imma just put this here

power-axe-cannon.jpg

Putting aside lore and programming limitations, I don't see why everyone is &!$$ing their pants over having something as unrealistic as a gunsword. You know what's unrealistic? Casting Fire Blast and being able to walk through it unharmed. You know what's unrealistic? Casually attaching antimatter to everything thing in the room and being completely safe. You know what's unrealistic? Having several Tesla grenades attached to your body and being perfectly fine. You know what's unrealistic?  Tearing random holes in reality and sucking only adversaries into it. 

Looking at Warframe itself and how unrealistic it is, a gunsword is not that farfetched, regardless if it's primarily used in FF.

Just my two cents.

Edited by DraikoHunter

That looks like crap.  Not something stupid like that.

The closest thing that would actually look good would be the weapons they had in the old school Power Rangers.  They had those laser blasters that they can change into sword dagger things.  

Or a battle axe like Zack had that also functioned as a laser.   

Ninjas are Japanese.

Actually ninja are based off of Moshuh Nanren, which were elite CHINESE assassins.  Many of them were former Shaolin Monks that had either broken rules at the temples and were expelled or just got bored with the monk lifestyle and rules and wanted freedom and adventure.

The ninjas were evetually descended from those assassins so technically ninja are Chinese before they are Japanese.  And then there are also the Korean Hwarang Do.

Putting aside lore and programming limitations, I don't see why everyone is &!$$ing their pants over having something as unrealistic as a gunsword. You know what's unrealistic? Casting Fire Blast and being able to walk through it unharmed. You know what's unrealistic? Casually attaching antimatter to everything thing in the room and being completely safe. You know what's unrealistic? Having several Tesla grenades attached to your body and being perfectly fine. You know what's unrealistic?  Tearing random holes in reality and sucking only adversaries into it. 

Looking at Warframe itself and how unrealistic it is, a gunsword is not that farfetched, regardless if it's primarily used in FF.

Just my two cents.

It may be just your 'two cents', but It's probably the smartest thing I've seen on this thread ^^ People are indeed moaning about "balance issues" and "Lore", but as a fore mentioned, the entire game consists of space ninjas who can walk through frickin fireballs and absorb insane amounts of damage, all the while being chased by space zombies, over the top plastic surgeons, and a race of what I can only assume are a religous cult that follow Apple (Or Its the future space conglomerate of Apple). So In all fairness I think a Gunsword would be awesome, with the new combo system being implemented perhaps It could work much like the glaive?, slashy slashy combos followed by shooty shooty combos, and just for fun one stabby stabby shooty shooty combo. The whole point of SCI-FI Games Is to break to normal boundaries of normal games, and I swear If someone comes back with "But da lawww brooo, It like prpr nt gonna fit?!" I will simply say "And Jet powered Hammers do?" and ask you to leave politely ^^.

P.S Just to avoid confusion, I'm on your side ;)

Edited by CaiusVrixen

I could picture maybe a Corpus boss that uses something along the lines of this, but since this game already clearly defines melee and pistols as separate weapon types I don't think this would be likely to be added. Best I could imagine would be a melee weapon with a ranged attack like the Glaive, except with no waiting for it to come back and maybe a longer charge-up time.

One of the problems is, people thinking of a primary and a melee weapon combined when reading gunsword.

Think of it only as a melee weapon and with melee 2.0 & stances it would be now possible without a problem to have combos where you are shooting when you swing your weapon.