Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Cetus Wisp: a Chore

Tellakey

DE, this needs addressing. Whether toward a new arcane or an Operator amp, Cetus Wisps are far too frustrating to farm. Even with boosters and continuous farming, it will take more than a couple of constant hours of active farming to reach the required 100+ wisps needed for a single amp/arcane. That's not even mentioning other chore-like requirements such as Eidolon gems, which are a totally different story.

Not only do we need to get out there and RNG our way to Eidolon Gems acquisition, we also need to scramble around for wisps as there is no efficient way of getting any otherwise, thus spending hours and hours on mindless grind instead of authentic gameplay. To top it off, the incapability of buying wisps with platinum make the grind even more unnecessary.

Possible remedies based on player suggestion:

• Increase and or maximize spawn rate of wisps near bodies of water.
  • Up the bounty reward of 1 wisp to 5 or more.
  • Reduce the required amount of wisps on amps/arcanes.
  • Introduce a new method of farming (i.e. Cetus standing points purchasable, etc...)

To players: DE may not spend their time on something but a few players deem problematic. If you agree with my point, by all means, join it. Post a comment.

Edit: Showing me a go-to farming guide is not a counter-argument. Read the points I make and offer relevant answers.

Edited by Tellakey

Wisps are not difficult to farm for, and simply giving more Wisps per stage would lead to resource oversaturation, where you have like a million Nano Spores and suddenly don't need to worry about them anymore for life.

Here's how I go for Wisps.  I grab Loki.  I slap on Thief's Wit, Loot Detector.  I grab a Companion or Sentinel and slap on Animal Instinct.  Now I have a very wide-reaching loot radar.  I run around the edge of lakes like that unfortunate Loki at the beginning of The Second Dream.  I investigate any out of place or strange loot icons.  I get Wisps.  Loads of Wisps.

If you really feel impatient, grab an Itzal and use that as well, just remember to fly low and be ready t disengage.

Still a lot of work you have to do to get wisps. I'm with OP honestly. It took me like a week to get 20 wisps and i still need more. Most other loot you can gather through general normal gameplay. So why not Cetus wisps too?

Yes, wisps farming is not fun at all.

I mean good for those that slap on mods and stuff to be a radar to farm them but seriously, ask yourself, is running around the map on the same route over and over fun?

Plague Star was the salvation though and I got 50 wisps from that but that 50 wisps would be 50 or so runs runninf around the map as a radar tower and that is not fun.

I play games to have fun. If I wanna play a walking simulator, I will rather go outside and walk for real.

14 minutes ago, OoKeNnEtHoO said:

Yes, wisps farming is not fun at all.

I mean good for those that slap on mods and stuff to be a radar to farm them but seriously, ask yourself, is running around the map on the same route over and over fun?

Plague Star was the salvation though and I got 50 wisps from that but that 50 wisps would be 50 or so runs runninf around the map as a radar tower and that is not fun.

I play games to have fun. If I wanna play a walking simulator, I will rather go outside and walk for real.

^This times 1000

3 hours ago, Sintag said:

Wisps are not difficult to farm for, and simply giving more Wisps per stage would lead to resource oversaturation, where you have like a million Nano Spores and suddenly don't need to worry about them anymore for life.

Here's how I go for Wisps.  I grab Loki.  I slap on Thief's Wit, Loot Detector.  I grab a Companion or Sentinel and slap on Animal Instinct.  Now I have a very wide-reaching loot radar.  I run around the edge of lakes like that unfortunate Loki at the beginning of The Second Dream.  I investigate any out of place or strange loot icons.  I get Wisps.  Loads of Wisps.

If you really feel impatient, grab an Itzal and use that as well, just remember to fly low and be ready t disengage.

Have you missed my point?

I am doing the same thing, with a booster. Still, it's going to take HOURS without exaggeration to farm a decent amount.

I am THE most patient person I know, so much so that I won't complain about most grinds in the game. Most of it is understandable. DE needs to make money somehow. Wisps, however, are grind-only items. There is no way of getting them with platinum, so what's even the point of them being so impossible to get?

Edited by Tellakey

36 minutes ago, Tellakey said:

There is no way of getting them with platinum, so what's even the point of them being so impossible to get?

Yeah and even worse is the fact that the way to grind them is literary just running around.

Nothing to do with completing missions or killing bosses or do anything other than just running around the map looking for them.

Adding salt to injury, they only spawn once per instance for each player.

While not necessarily the best, I actually had a better time farming standing for them during Plague Star because while Plague Star is repetitive, I at least get to fight stuff ,get mods and other stuff, and I can even choose to not use the standing for the Cetus Wisp if I choose to.

Now, if I want the Cetus Wisp, I have to do the 2 bounties that have them for a chance to get only or run around the map as though I am playing a walking simulator.

Edited by OoKeNnEtHoO

9 hours ago, OoKeNnEtHoO said:

Yeah and even worse is the fact that the way to grind them is literary just running around.

Nothing to do with completing missions or killing bosses or do anything other than just running around the map looking for them.

Adding salt to injury, they only spawn once per instance for each player.

While not necessarily the best, I actually had a better time farming standing for them during Plague Star because while Plague Star is repetitive, I at least get to fight stuff ,get mods and other stuff, and I can even choose to not use the standing for the Cetus Wisp if I choose to.

Now, if I want the Cetus Wisp, I have to do the 2 bounties that have them for a chance to get only or run around the map as though I am playing a walking simulator.

Amen.

13 hours ago, Sintag said:

-snip-

I love how there's always a couple of people who are quick to jump into a thread and say "I don't have any issues with X at all, so some people obviously just need to git gud and stop being lazy" in response to posts airing legitimate concerns and grievances with regard to the ever increasing amounts of grind in this game...

Wisps are not hard to get, you see one, you run over it quickly. However, they are definitely tedious to farm due to their low spawn chance, small size, very short pickup range, and the fact that they'll fly away if you don't grab them quickly enough. They only spawn around bodies of water so you'll  have to run / fly around the entire map with loot detecting mods and frankly that IS time consuming. While I personally have had little need for them (thankfully), I can appreciate the fact that some players do find Wisp farming to be a huge pain, especially when player need a fair amount of them to build gear.

1 hour ago, ZenGarage said:

I LOOOOVE my Cetus Wisp ornament in my ship!!!

That's...not even a valid argument in favor of keeping the low spawn rate of Wisps as is. That's just saying "I like this ornament / statue" and nothing more.

1 hour ago, ZenGarage said:

I think it's one of the more fun things to do in the plains on my daily run

If you like it, that's fine and valid...but that's strictly your opinion. Some people see it as a time consuming chore, and that's just as valid, if not more so if good reasons are given for WHY those people feel that way.

On the subject of feelings, I think it's reasonable to say that Wisps wouldn't be as much of an issue to some players if the requirements for them weren't as high as they can be. I think that's especially true given the low spawn rate of Wisps (4 at most if RNGesus is kind to you) plus the sheer size of PoE and the large number of possible spawn locations.

17 minutes ago, MirageKnight said:

That's...not even a valid argument in favor of keeping the low spawn rate of Wisps as is. That's just saying "I like this ornament / statue" and nothing more.

If you like it, that's fine and valid...but that's strictly your opinion. Some people see it as a time consuming chore, and that's just as valid, if not more so if good reasons are given for WHY those people feel that way.

On the subject of feelings, I think it's reasonable to say that Wisps wouldn't be as much of an issue to some players if the requirements for them weren't as high as they can be. I think that's especially true given the low spawn rate of Wisps (4 at most if RNGesus is kind to you) plus the sheer size of PoE and the large number of possible spawn locations.

Preach it, Broberon!

Hehe - Thanks Tenno.

On the subject of Wisp rarity...I personally don't mind it and think it gives Wisps a feeling of uniqueness. I think their spawn rate should be kept as is to maintain that BUT at the same time I also think that Wisp requirements for certain items ought to be reeled in a bit. If I wanted to build a lot of amp and zaw components and Arcanes, the high Wisp requirements would definitely irk me a bit.

Edited by MirageKnight

If you find a Wisp while running a Bounty, that's great - don't get me wrong. The problem is that the odds are rather low that you'll actually find a Wisp along the routes you'll be taking, let alone finding two or more. If you want to farm Wisps efficiently, Free Roam sessions dedicated to searching for Wisps are, realistically, the only way to go if you expect to get at least two. 

Edited by MirageKnight

50 minutes ago, MirageKnight said:

If you find a Wisp while running a Bounty, that's great - don't get me wrong. The problem is that the odds are rather low that you'll actually find a Wisp along the routes you'll be taking, let alone finding two or more. If you want to farm Wisps efficiently, Free Roam sessions dedicated to searching for Wisps are, realistically, the only way to go if you expect to get at least two. 

Well... if you want to farm wisps efficiently, you should be doing it alongside your bounties—all the time, rather than waiting until you need a bunch. That's how most farming in Warframe works best, you do it while you're doing other things.

52 minutes ago, MirageKnight said:

That's not true. Make it a rule upon yourself that after each bounty, you'll do a quick sweep of the main lake only on a-wing and lets see how many you get.

3 minutes ago, motorfirebox said:

Well... if you want to farm wisps efficiently, you should be doing it alongside your bounties—all the time, rather than waiting until you need a bunch. That's how most farming in Warframe works best, you do it while you're doing other things.

Exactly this! Trust me you'll have a bag of wisps in no time.

39 minutes ago, TheMuslimGamerGB said:

That's not true. Make it a rule upon yourself that after each bounty, you'll do a quick sweep of the main lake only on a-wing and lets see how many you get.

Then you might want to leave the squad you're with before making them wait on you as that would be very inconsiderate to someone that simply wants the bounty over and done with so they can move on and do whatever needs doing next.

Efficiency is about getting the most you want done in the least amount of time. Doing a "quick sweep" of the lake won't necessarily net you a Wisp and it will extend your mission time a little, depending on where your bounties take you.

45 minutes ago, motorfirebox said:

That only works with normal resources because they're drops from enemies. The resources are a byproduct of killing and you don't necessarily have to go out of your way to find them because they're right there with the bodies.

You want to argue efficiency? Fine.

Say I want to boost my stockpile of Oxium. I go to a node where I know lots of Oxium Ospreys spawn and I hunt them down with my Nekros and a weapon optimized for killing them quickly - and I might even bring a booster to increase drop counts if I have 40p to waste. That's being an efficient resource famer.

You can't do all that with Wisps. You have to actively hunt for Wisps which are independent of enemies and may not spawn near any groups of enemies, so you're still better off doing a dedicated run with maxed loot detection and a booster and choosing a route that takes you by all the major bodies of water. You'll net at least 4 Wisps, probably more if you're lucky and you'll grab some other things along the way as well.

But hey, you guys think you know what's best.

With a resource booster, most of the popular routes still only give 6-12 per run. Depending on the route you run and the frame you use, a full lap usually takes about 8-10 minutes, accounting for thirty seconds loading in and thirty seconds loading out. That means with dedicated, meta farming and investing plat into a booster, you are looking at least AN HOUR of farming for just one T3 amp. And wisp farming is honestly more boring than just about any other type, as engaging in combat actively or doing anything else can slow your run by 2+ minutes. Combine that with the fact that there are dozens of different things that require wisps (many of which require 10+ at once) and it makes it one of the least engaging and most frustrating resources in the game. 

In short, you're in constant need of them, but farming them is soul-crushingly dull and horribly inefficient even at its most optimized.  

Edited by MadHatHacker

34 minutes ago, MadHatHacker said:

In short, you're in constant need of them, but farming them is soul-crushingly dull and horribly inefficient even at its most optimized.

Exactly this. That's why I said that it's not so much the rarity of Wisps (even though they are a pain to hunt for), but more the hefty requirements of the items that use them that makes them far more of a chore because of the need to keep actively repeating the same boring hunt. During the Plaque Star event, I grabbed 20 Wisps from Nakak (all I really need) with Operational Standing...because screw wasting all that time hunting for those little floating specs.

You know, it was fun finding them the first few times ingame, but when I saw some of the requirements for them, I thought "Hell. No."

Anyway.

Look at OC's (Orokin Cells). That's something that's pretty rare. At best you'll probably get 4-6 on a good run on say Titan without boosters and a Nekros. but it's very rare that you'll come across an item that requires more than say 5 of them - if that item even needs OC's. OC's are a bit of a pain to farm due to their low drop rate, but you generally don't need that many. Also, they're a drop.

Finding Wisps is almost as bad as hunting for Ayatan Stars or Sculptures.

59 minutes ago, MadHatHacker said:

and it makes it one of the least engaging and most frustrating resources in the game. 

I think 1st Place should go to Nitain...

Let me simplify Cetus Wisp farming. Get a fast travel warframe > Put on all the loot finding mods > Run around the water and LOOK AT THE MINI MAP FOR THE BOX SYMBOL

Don't use your eyes to look for Wisps on screen because you probably won't see them unless you're entirely focused. You will have a much better chance finding wisps then running around looking for them just by sight. I hope that helps.

1 hour ago, SanguineSavant said:

Let me simplify Cetus Wisp farming. Get a fast travel warframe > Put on all the loot finding mods > Run around the water and LOOK AT THE MINI MAP FOR THE BOX SYMBOL

:facepalm:

Most of know all this. With the right gear it's EASY. That's not being disputed. That said, this info doesn't make farming Wisps any less BORING and TEDIOUS due to the number of runs needed to obtain sufficient Wisps to meet high resource requirements due to the inherently low spawn numbers of Wisps. That's really what makes it such a chore for people. 

What part of all that do you people who feel the need to actively defend Wisp farming as it stands right now, NOT understand about this?

On a side note, it also doesn't help that they have a very small pickup radius and sometimes you have to run over them twice.

4 hours ago, SanguineSavant said:

Don't use your eyes to look for Wisps on screen because you probably won't see them unless you're entirely focused. You will have a much better chance finding wisps then running around looking for them just by sight. I hope that helps.

Umm... have you actually read the comments on this post? You're like the fourth person repeating this point. @MirageKnightexplains the situation perfectly. Wisp farming isn't oh-so-hard to do, rather it's tedious, boring, sluggish, unrewarding, inefficient, distracting, and so on.

You're giving me some tips on how to farm as if I haven't farmed exactly the way you advise. I've already built a few amps and some arcanes. This doesn't detract from the legitimacy of my point.