The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Reminder - Shields: Still Useless

BlackCoMerc

23 hours ago, Axterix13 said:

Such a change would also help make magnetic, impact, and cold damage more desirable against Corpus than Toxin.  But on the flip side, it would make the enhanced shield missions more annoying ;)

It would be easier to fix or remove that mission modifier then.

On 1/9/2018 at 9:50 PM, Axterix13 said:

Such a change would also help make magnetic, impact, and cold damage more desirable against Corpus than Toxin.  But on the flip side, it would make the enhanced shield missions more annoying ;)

No I’m thinking specifically for Warframe shields. Leave the enemy shields alone bc they can be tough enough. 

I partly agree, that shield are somewhere losing their value, but OPs problem is something different.
1. He doesn't realize, what acutally a shield does...
- it absorbs direct dmg
- it regens, not like HP which you need to regen yourself in most cases
2. He only sees, that procs are doing dmg to health, ignoring shilds, what he doesn't realize is...
- that's the actual job of most procs, ignore armor and shield and deal dmg (that's the acutal reason high lvl gameplay works, bleed melts enemies)
He sees HP lower then shield -> conclusion: Shields are useless

More of an problem is, how the dmg system works in genral, especially with the scaling of enemies dmg and defense

Edited by Somi_xD

On 1/6/2018 at 6:45 PM, (PS4)Musicopia said:

I run a full set of Magus Elevate on my operator = Every Warframe now has healing. 

A full set of Magus elevate is about 2-3 weeks of constant farming given the buggy mess that Fishing is right now, not to mention the Eidolon gems and the Cetus Wisps. So, it isn't exactly a readily available option.

Arguably shields have been useless since Damage 2.0 when Toxin and Bleed procs were made to bypass them. To exacerbate the issue they nerfed health orbs. Net result is that if you don't have any self healing abilities doing endless missions for any length of time becomes a real pain, especially solo.

Of course, before Damage 2.0 the inverse problem was there: health was pointless since shields could basically prevent any health damage, ever.

Edited by marelooke

1 hour ago, Somi_xD said:

I partly agree, that shield are somewhere losing their value, but OPs problem is something different.
1. He doesn't realize, what acutally a shield does...
- it absorbs direct dmg
- it regens, not like HP which you need to regen yourself in most cases
2. He only sees, that procs are doing dmg to health, ignoring shilds, what he doesn't realize is...
- that's the actual job of most procs, ignore armor and shield and deal dmg (that's the acutal reason high lvl gameplay works, bleed melts enemies)
He sees HP lower then shield -> conclusion: Shields are useless

More of an problem is, how the dmg system works in genral, especially with the scaling of enemies dmg and defense

Procs come from projectiles. That hit us. While our shields are up.

Essentially we suffer from procs triggered by bullets that hit us, except...they were blocked by Shields.

It literally makes no sense.

vor 3 Minuten schrieb BlackCoMerc:

Procs come from projectiles. That hit us. While our shields are up.

Essentially we suffer from procs triggered by bullets that hit us, except...they were blocked by Shields.

It literally makes no sense.

And in this point i do agree with you ^^
I already mentioned a similar thing about Armor and Bleed, a week ago.

How can you proc full bleed, if you you hit an armored enemy - so scraching the armor makes them bleed?
Also, why do mechanical enemies bleed?

The Damage system has some major flaws.

I play a high shield volt pretty effectively. That said, to make it work I have almost nothing invested into mundo abilities, which is sad, but neccassary if I want to survive without camping behind an electric shield all day. Capacitance quick thinking. High energy to make up for low health and save you from slash and toxin, while you can stun and hyper regen shields on command. Often, I gain shields while under fire faster then they can be depleted. Of course, this is a VERY specialized build that makes moderate use of shields. Something should be done to make them stronger (2400 shields just VANISH in sortie 3 survivals), but they are unique and fun, and even useful in some cases. 

1 hour ago, marelooke said:

Arguably shields have been useless since Damage 2.0 when Toxin and Bleed procs were made to bypass them. To exacerbate the issue they nerfed health orbs. Net result is that if you don't have any self healing abilities doing endless missions for any length of time becomes a real pain, especially solo.

Of course, before Damage 2.0 the inverse problem was there: health was pointless since shields could basically prevent any health damage, ever.

Agreed. Damage 2.5 needs some work, and hopefully will help rather then hurt our issues.

and as others have said, armor or shields blocking an attack SHOULD prevent a status effect if you think of it logically. In armors case drastically reduce the chance, since you still take health damage. 

Shields aren't useless. Having a rechargable shield that mitigates most damage and avoid you taking health damage is invaluable, as shield gets recharged every few seconds while health requires a specific setup to be restored (or health pads).

Play more "No shield" missions and you'll quickly notice most of the players are incapable to survive properly when you take away their shield, proving it's a really useful survival tool in most builds.

Yes, some attacks and damage types bypass shields, which can be annoying , especially for builds and setups that do not have efficient methods to mitigate damage and lifesteal back their life counter.