Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

The new ember isnt that bad, but only if...

soshootso

2 hours ago, (PS4)Nyxn607 said:

I've said it before and I will say it again.  People complaining about Ember's 4 change, are the ones that prefer to press 4 and AFK.  Her 4 was in need of a change, and it got a decent change imo.  They buffed the damage and increased the energy by a laughable number.  If people utilized her entire kit, instead of relying solely on her 4, they might actually realize the change was for the better.

The problem of the nerf is indeed what you said...using other abilities.

Fireball is not efficient as Freeze, Smite, Shattered Lash, Spore, Banshee's first I don't remember the name...sonic something, Seeking Shuriken.

Accelerant is good, but only if you mod it for strength, which means you have to cut somewhere else, also procs fire and doesn't scale.

Ring Of Fire is laughable compared to Chilling Globe, Hallowed Ground, even Spectrorage.

So yeah, you have to be creative with powers with a double energy consumption on your 4th.

That's the problem, not the WoF nerf...the problem that other powers are not useful, especially because fire is the less useful of the base elemental damages.

The rework of fireball is also insulting...it leaves campfires and you have to hope enemies stupidly walk into it.

The passive is stupid because it doesn't have damage reduction and you die from a level 40 Tusk Napalm in less than 1 second.

While Banshee had a nerf too, she has incredible powers that Ember hasn't.

I would accept the nerf if her other abilities and passives would compensate the nerf.

3 hours ago, (PS4)OmegaSlayer said:

Fireball is not efficient as Freeze, Smite, Shattered Lash, Spore, Banshee's first I don't remember the name...sonic something, Seeking Shuriken.

Accelerant is good, but only if you mod it for strength, which means you have to cut somewhere else, also procs fire and doesn't scale.

Ring Of Fire is laughable compared to Chilling Globe, Hallowed Ground, even Spectrorage.

So yeah, you have to be creative with powers with a double energy consumption on your 4th.

That's the problem, not the WoF nerf...the problem that other powers are not useful, especially because fire is the less useful of the base elemental damages.

The rework of fireball is also insulting...it leaves campfires and you have to hope enemies stupidly walk into it.

The passive is stupid because it doesn't have damage reduction and you die from a level 40 Tusk Napalm in less than 1 second.

I would accept the nerf if her other abilities and passives would compensate the nerf.

I will agree that Fireball was/is uselss pre/post nerf respectively.  I also agree that her passive needs changed, from everyone who has given idea's, it would seem that a overheat style passive would be preferred. 

Her other two abilities are fine though.  Accelerant if nothing else should be used as a quick escape/kill skill.  It stuns enemies long enough to either get away or kill them with weapons (level dependent).  Ring of Fire is ok,not great by any means, but at least does some damage.  She is a nuke frame, and could use some tweaking to her numbers.

4 hours ago, jumbomikehotdog said:

LOL. LOL again. How many missions can you afk in? Spy? Mobile defense? PoE bounties? Rescue? Sabotage? Hijack?

The only missions you can afk in is def (with a party) and survival (again with a party). Stop making it look like afk'ing is the norm. i actually haven't partied with anyone who afks ember. Ever. People who say ember users afk are prolly sh*t out of luck and did manage to party with one, but it's not the norm. it's impossible for ember to afk for a long time by itself because she will eventually run out of energy (even with energy related mods and sentinel vacuum). 

If you only used her 4, then it was most likely in defense/interception modes.  My point is that she other abilities that are useful other than her 4.  They are not great for damage, but more for utility.  People seem to not even know she has other powers.  Blows my mind.

1 hour ago, (PS4)Nyxn607 said:

If you only used her 4, then it was most likely in defense/interception modes.  My point is that she other abilities that are useful other than her 4.  They are not great for damage, but more for utility.  People seem to not even know she has other powers.  Blows my mind.

It would be cool if her other abilities had use cases in combat.  But they don't.  They are fun to use though.  I do like throwing down a fire blast and using it's small damage amp to help kill things.   It shouldn't blow your mind.  It makes sense, these complaints.  They are generated from a larger playerbase actually putting pressure and demands on her 1,2,3.  They are finding that the other parts of her kit just don't accomplish what you need to keep her alive.  Things like, gain ground, hold ground, mitigate damage, open up groups, encourage modding in a specific direction.  

7 hours ago, (PS4)Nyxn607 said:

I will agree that Fireball was/is uselss pre/post nerf respectively.  I also agree that her passive needs changed, from everyone who has given idea's, it would seem that a overheat style passive would be preferred. 

Her other two abilities are fine though.  Accelerant if nothing else should be used as a quick escape/kill skill.  It stuns enemies long enough to either get away or kill them with weapons (level dependent).  Ring of Fire is ok,not great by any means, but at least does some damage.  She is a nuke frame, and could use some tweaking to her numbers.

It's also worth to mention that if you want to be able to sustain some damage you have to build on duration and strength.

First of all to achieve some 250% power strength you must skip completely augments and survivability mods.

Second you have to sacrifice range and efficiency, so the other powers becomes laughable in range and cost a lot (so why use them?) and WoF really covers an area that is just silly.

If DE doesn't rework the other powers, they should at least remove the duration required for WoF and move that to efficiency.

But in all honestly, the only thing they have to do is not half the range of WoF but reduce it to 75% of the original one.

And since they made this whole mess, they have to re-rework Fireball, the third and the pasasive.

1 hour ago, Ethorin said:

I am still amused every time someone calls the WoF change a nerf.

It's literally "Press 4 more often" also

Have a video that explains in detail how this is literally only a buff and an increase in her build variety.

I don't often say this.  You are a fool if you allow this video to lead you to the conclusion that "this change is literally only a buff". 

Come on man!  Think for yourself.  Especially with the weak explanation and testing this video offers. 

13 hours ago, robbybe01234 said:

It would be cool if her other abilities had use cases in combat.  But they don't.

Accelerant has no use in combat? A stun has no use?  At all?  Please enlighten me as to how a stun has no use in combat.  Fire blast is useful, maybe not the point that it is impressive, but it is useful, mainly in Defense. interception, and mobile defense missions.  The only skill I will agree is pretty much useless in combat is fireball, its damage is lack luster and needs a better mechanic than leaving behind a aoe.  Otherwise your comment of her other skills are useless in combat make me think you have never even used them in combat, outside of the simulacrum.

Edited by (PS4)Nyxn607

7 hours ago, (PS4)OmegaSlayer said:

It's also worth to mention that if you want to be able to sustain some damage you have to build on duration and strength.

First of all to achieve some 250% power strength you must skip completely augments and survivability mods.

Second you have to sacrifice range and efficiency, so the other powers becomes laughable in range and cost a lot (so why use them?) and WoF really covers an area that is just silly.

If DE doesn't rework the other powers, they should at least remove the duration required for WoF and move that to efficiency.

But in all honestly, the only thing they have to do is not half the range of WoF but reduce it to 75% of the original one.

And since they made this whole mess, they have to re-rework Fireball, the third and the pasasive.

I think this is a good idea for her fourth, 75% of the range would still keep it from being map clearing, but still useful enough for ember mains I would think.  I am not sure I have an issue with having to mod for 1 ability over the other.  Most glass cannon frames have that issue that I am aware of.  Maybe they could alter the scaling to where you only need 200%, so that you could at least have some duration or range rather than going negative in either.  I wouldn't be bothered one bit if they made her a balanced frame rather than 1 trick pony.

3 hours ago, (PS4)Nyxn607 said:

Accelerant has no use in combat? A stun has no use?  At all?  Please enlighten me as to how a stun has no use in combat.  Fire blast is useful, maybe not the point that it is impressive, but it is useful, mainly in Defense. interception, and mobile defense missions.  The only skill I will agree is pretty much useless in combat is fireball, its damage is lack luster and needs a better mechanic than leaving behind a aoe.  Otherwise your comment of her other skills are useless in combat make me think you have never even used them in combat, outside of the simulacrum.

There will be many points where the stun is useful and many points where it is not useful.  There will be many points where the fireball damage is useful and many points where it isn't. That aside, do your own homework.  I don't have time for people that pull some nonsense. 

Especially after laying into me then writing something like this.

3 hours ago, (PS4)Nyxn607 said:

I wouldn't be bothered one bit if they made her a balanced frame rather than 1 trick pony.

6 hours ago, robbybe01234 said:

I don't often say this.  You are a fool if you allow this video to lead you to the conclusion that "this change is literally only a buff". 

Come on man!  Think for yourself.  Especially with the weak explanation and testing this video offers. 

My thoughts pre video "This is only a nerf if you insist on mindlessly pressing four and never doing anything else of import"

My thoughts post video "S#&$ it's even less of a nerf than I thought"

My thoughts post running a Neo Exterminate Fissure "@(*()$ EMBER TROLLS STILL HERE!!"

If you genuinely think this ruins her go @(*()$ play her and THEN tell me it ruined her. She does EXACTLY what she used to only better.

20 minutes ago, Ethorin said:

My thoughts pre video "This is only a nerf if you insist on mindlessly pressing four and never doing anything else of import"

My thoughts post video "S#&$ it's even less of a nerf than I thought"

My thoughts post running a Neo Exterminate Fissure "@(*()$ EMBER TROLLS STILL HERE!!"

If you genuinely think this ruins her go @(*()$ play her and THEN tell me it ruined her. She does EXACTLY what she used to only better.

Look, we just play two different versions of the same game and approach playing from different angles.  No worries there man.  It's good that you enjoyed the exterminate.  I still know it to be false that she does the exact same thing, for reasons I've already written about.  I also still struggle to comprehend how someone can come to the conclusion that it "is even less of a nerf than I though" by a dude in the sim running up to a single static enemy then a group of 8 static enemies with WoF on.  This may come across as condescending but you're not leaving me a lot of room to work here. ;)

Edited by robbybe01234

5 minutes ago, robbybe01234 said:

Look, we just play two different versions of the same game and approach playing from different angles.  No worries there man.  It's good that you enjoyed the exterminate.  I still know it to be false that she does the exact same thing, for reasons I've already written about.  I also still struggle to comprehend how someone can come to the conclusion that it "is even less of a nerf than I though" by a dude in the sim running up to a single static enemy then a group of 8 static enemies with WoF on.  This may come across as condescending but you're not leaving me a lot of room to work here. ;)

It isn't even a build that you would generally use on Ember at a higher level of play.

Everyone who is like "they buffed her damage"  are you guys forgetting that it also increases the cost of her energy proportionally?

A buff would mean getting something good without a drawback, the change means that there is a literally a 0 net increase.

100 damage in 20 seconds, is still 100 damage if its dealt in 10 seconds.  Its the same amount of damage being output, it just comes out a bit faster..  This wouldn't be an issue if it wasn' for the fact that your range is decreased too

So its an overall NERF, its not a buff, stop claiming its a buff.  Mathematically it isn't a buff.

2 hours ago, robbybe01234 said:

There will be many points where the stun is useful and many points where it is not useful.  There will be many points where the fireball damage is useful and many points where it isn't. That aside, do your own homework.  I don't have time for people that pull some nonsense. 

Especially after laying into me then writing something like this.

You specifically said it had no use in combat.  Having some use is different than having no use.  Not sure how asking you a question, then asking you to explain why you say it has no use in combat is laying into you.  Eh, difference of view points is what I will chalk it up to.

Edited by (PS4)Nyxn607

I'd like to know how many people use accelerant if WoF is not active, how many people decide to bring heat oriented weapons with Ember and I still fail to realize what's the gameplay impact of accelerant after the stun is finished, so I'd like to know why I should want its duration to be 40 seconds.

Same for the Ring, as it isn't a formidable objective protection.

To be honest 1 is ok 2 is a pointless joke 3 is weak  on the ring 4 well 6energy per sec for half the range  +100% is trash to costly with even max efficiency and a range so worthless it may as well has been just an aura around you now how would i fix these  2 needs to be scraped id do knockback/hard stagger dot dps that can panic and proc status  3  the ring 1 heals you and company for 100%the ring dose on its own 2 stops enemys from entering lastly 4 well it may have been op but this no it needs to go back to the way it was thw current 4 is power hungry fire with the range of a melee  ember is not a  a hardy frame this is not acceptable also on a off topic nezah 3 needs recastable #stopnezhasuicde #emeber4isdead

On 10/02/2018 at 8:19 PM, KokoroWish said:

Correction it was to stop her from clearing everything in low level missions while standing on top of the defence point, dancing. In low level defence and other defence objective based missions, the rest of the team might as well have AFKd. This particular change sorts out that problem by having Ember have to move around to do the clearing now.

And yes, by low level mission I mean basically the whole star chart bar some of the void. For other missions, like exterminates, she basically plays exactly the same, except thing now have to get closer to die.

Her 4 honestly needs to have an entire redesign, making it an active skill rather than a passive damage aura. As it is now, they need to ramp up the energy cost to Valkyr Hysteria levels.

fun fact is that you can still do with with ahk macro, recasting WoF every 8 sec and just go somewhere for food or something.

I agree she really need redesign on her 4 and her passive though. I'm kind of a pyromaniac so I don't mind if the skills change as long as it make my fire-engulfing waifu viable.

On 2/10/2018 at 3:18 AM, soshootso said:

I do agree they need to buff somethig to make up for her low range, but since DE classifies ember as a "caster", giving her more surviability would go against their first reason to remove the overheat feature.

They should just buff accelerant damage multiplier, explained in my post, so its somewhat balanced.

Caster. Not a damage dealer or tank for that matter, but a caster. Someone who casts a lot, whatever that means. Rhino or Trinity in comparison are much more passive than Ember. Having durability innately is not necessarily the problem. Yes personally I'd rather have her be the archetypal damage oriented character, but in a game like this you have to think outside the box as other players have suggested her range becomes so small that she can not simply get to the enemies in time to inflict her damage. On the other hand you want to also avoid the problem caused by pre-rework WoF as well. So what realistic solutions could you have? Evade? Speed? Damage reduction? I wish there was a way for her to only do damage and be a caster in that way, but I am not convinced you have that kind of luxury in this instance. It is an impossible problem to solve without breaking the commonly associated RPG meta-narrative of what a specific class of playstyle should look like. And honestly those artificial limitations restrict innovation, and not always for the better either.

On 2/13/2018 at 1:24 PM, robbybe01234 said:

It's good that you enjoyed the exterminate.

...I was bored as S#&$ in that exterminate I got Ember teammate, just like before the patch, nothing to kill, nothing to see, just running.

As for the video, the point of the video was seeing how far it went and it was still going far enough, that was the point.

Edited by Ethorin

On 2/10/2018 at 3:56 AM, SordidDreams said:

I wouldn't go that far. She's still extremely useful for exactly the thing she was nerfed for, namely blazing through low-level exterminates and such. And by "low-level" I mean the entire star chart, Hydron included.

The real nerf was to her Accelerant, not WoF. They upped the damage on WoF and reduced the range, so you just build for range at the expense of power strength to compensate and achieve the same result. Problem is that also screws up your Accelerant. Mine previously quintupled fire damage taken by enemies, now it only doubles it, and that makes a massive difference. In low-level missions where you don't need Accelerant, Ember's just as strong as ever. In high-level missions where you do need it, you're screwed. The update has totally failed to achieve its goal, i.e. prevent Ember from crushing low level missions, while making the problem with her, namely that she falls off too fast, even worse.

*slow clap*

On 2/10/2018 at 10:49 AM, Kiwinille said:

67% duration, 175% efficiency, 145% range, 200% strength with these mods:
CP + Power Drift + Primed Flow + Primed Continuity + Fleeting Expertise + Streamline + Intensify + Transient Fortitude + Stretch + Vitality (this last one is optional, just for some more survival and not get 1shot). Also no arcane energize.

Flash accelerant will do so much for you for damage...and honestly, ember is one of few frames you can get a lot of use out of reflex guard with, if you're taking a blocking weapon...since she can still do damage (wof, charge a fireball while blocking).  RG+80-90% block weapon will be much more EHP than Vitality.
Still, I'm going to end up trying something similar with high efficiency and going back to low dur so I can spam both FBs to just layer on damage.

On 2/12/2018 at 2:09 PM, (PS4)OmegaSlayer said:

Fireball size scales with power strength and then its huge, but beyond that I pretty much agree with everything else.  Accelerant is amazing though.  The people in this thread that are like lul wuts accel do after the stun really....don't think, to put it nicely.

8 hours ago, Terrornaut said:

Flash accelerant will do so much for you for damage...and honestly, ember is one of few frames you can get a lot of use out of reflex guard with, if you're taking a blocking weapon...since she can still do damage (wof, charge a fireball while blocking).  RG+80-90% block weapon will be much more EHP than Vitality.
Still, I'm going to end up trying something similar with high efficiency and going back to low dur so I can spam both FBs to just layer on damage.

Fireball size scales with power strength and then its huge, but beyond that I pretty much agree with everything else.  Accelerant is amazing though.  The people in this thread that are like lul wuts accel do after the stun really....don't think, to put it nicely.

I'd rather have a fire sweep like charged shattered lash than a big ball of fire..

The problem for accelerant is that increases the damage of fire with a 5x multiplier at max strength, but who mods weapons for fire only? So you're back on relying anyway to WoF and make damage with weapons.

8 hours ago, (PS4)OmegaSlayer said:

I'd rather have a fire sweep like charged shattered lash than a big ball of fire..

The problem for accelerant is that increases the damage of fire with a 5x multiplier at max strength, but who mods weapons for fire only? So you're back on relying anyway to WoF and make damage with weapons.

In most cases you don't mod for fire only unless you have some people with you that can strip armor, otherwise you build for heat and corrosive and status.  You don't need to go full fire, or use a fire based weapon (aside from silva & aegis prime maybe), you don't even have to make heat the highest damage on a heat+corrosive status weapon.  Throw in healing return and she will always, always be able to heal herself.

Tell me honestly: If you had a mod that added 500% elemental damage tell me you would not use it at all or try to find some way to get the most out of that.  Because that's what Ember can do, she can multiply one element by a very large amount of damage.  With my build, she multiplies heat damage by 7.2x, or 11.2x with ground finishers.  That damage will also almost always do +50%, so basically 10.8x heat damage every shot or 3.8x damage my original shot each sec after for 7 sec.  When you have weapons that strip armor in a few clicks or as long as a clip or two on some weapons (hopefully under 1.5s sec), that damage adds up extremely fast.  Once you get used to how Ember's heat procs work, both from melee/ranged/wof, you know when you can just walk away from enemies and move onto new enemies knowing the ones behind you will die in a fire by the time you get in range of WoF.

And again if you have 100 corrosive damage vs a corrupted h gunner, you're doing 175 damage before armor.  If you have 100 heat damage, you're doing 100 heat damage, but then you're multiplying that up to a minimum of 250 before armor.  Armor hits them both, its just corrosive procs will strip armor...which is why..you want them both.  This is very easy to test.  Just take a weapon, put two dual stat mods on to make corrosive, get a 50 or 80 corrupted heavy gunner so you don't have to wait forever because of armor and hp on an unmodded weapon, and see how many bullets it takes to kill it, or run out of bullets.  Do the same for 2x heat mods with accelerant.  Then put both corrosive status and heat and accelerant on an enemy and see how much faster an enemy dies/less bullets or melee swings it takes to kill.

Unrelated but for the future: I'd wager slash is going to get a huge nerf coming up as other damage types get buffed, so it'll be leveled out and things will still probably be around as effective as slash damage is now, so in the end, its not like we are getting a nerf overall, but kind of a buff?  Slash shouldn't do all that it does now - armor piercing stacking damage.  Seems like DE couldn't pull themselves away from their damage 1.0 philosophy and slash damage as we know it currently exists.  I just bring this up as its basically the only thing that's just as effective, outside of radiation on bolkors and eidolons.

On 2/9/2018 at 8:07 PM, soshootso said:

Easy. Instead of 100% World on Fire damage, make it +100% strength, so it affects all her abilities.

Issue with that being that 2x damage on WoF scales with your power strength, meaning +100% power strength will be less effective for WoF's damage output in particular and only be truly useful for making Accelerant even stronger. Besides, she already has access to a built-in power strength boost.

On 2/9/2018 at 8:15 PM, SteamlordD said:

Her trashcan passive could be changed to give her some kind of survivability instead, like an Overheat gauge that fills as she does heat damage, drains over time, and provides damage resistance, promoting active play (which was the goal of the WoF nerf) and providing sustainability.

I'd like to preface this reply with the information that I, too, used to believe that Ember's passive was ridiculous throwaway garbage. However, that's no longer the case.

Ordinarily you'd expect trash + trash to = worse than trash, right? But the fun thing is, Javlok + Ember's Passive = one of the best passive effects in the entire game. Javlok's primary fire having an aoe self-damage component and being 100% heat, if you stack enough status chance and status duration mods, you can get a very high chance to set yourself on fire for 14 seconds, not even doing enough damage to breach shields. That's 14 seconds of +35% power strength, +60% for 5 seconds if you also have Growing Power on and shoot an enemy. That's also 14 seconds of 10 energy regen per second. Personally I'm also working on rolling a riven for +status duration so I can be on fire for even longer, preferably also with -damage. I could easily imagine it reaching 20 seconds.

To give you an idea of the difference in strength made by having Ember's passive and Growing Power both active thanks to Javlok, that takes my Flash Accelerant from +90% Added Heat and 4.53x Heat Damage Dultiplier with a Rank 8 Blind Rage, to +120% AH and 6.04x HDM. I rather like to use these two factors with Jat Kusar, personally. This has allowed me to phase out multiple ability strength mods from my build, and focus more on other factors, like survivability. (As an added bonus, each damage tick of World on Fire has an 83% chance to re-apply panic on affected enemies, CCing them rather well even without Firequake.)

Thanks to her passive and thanks to Javlok, my Ember is a lot less squishy than usual. In between encounters, she's constantly regenerating energy at a ridiculously high pace and relying less on mods for power strength. Vitality, Rage, Primed Flow and Quick Thinking all allow her a much larger effective health pool than would normally be expected, and this is also paired with Life Strike on Jat Kusar. Primed Continuity, Stretch, Flash Accelerant, Growing Power and Blind Rage help me to keep the damage up. Streamlined Form makes both movement and Javlok access a whole lot smoother.

Given that Ember is Zenurik-unfriendly, I use her with Naramon, which only supercharges Jat Kusar's crits via Blood Rush, massively improving its damage output on top of her abilities. Jat Kusar does slash procs as part of its combo stances, allowing it to bypass armour somewhat, and Naramon Dashes can allow me to do finishers as necessary, for which heat damage is supremely effective against Grineer Cloned Flesh. Furthermore, any slash procs or heat procs made by Jat Kusar while Life Striking will regenerate health even when not life striking.

TL;DR In a way, Ember's current passive, for me at least, opens up more active play and sustainability simultaneously. Ultimately, I can't help but defend the passive, as being able to trigger it on purpose has made all the difference in the world. Yes, it encourages turning World on Fire off now and then, but I really don't think that's the end of the world when Fire Blast has a huge area panic and her 1 will now essentially panic a small group of enemies twice in a row.

-----

This is not all to say that Ember does not still need changes, but ultimately I find that Fire Blast is consistently the weakest part of her kit even taking its minor cc into consideration, not her passive or her WoF. Personally speaking, would much rather that the expanding blast wave scorch the floor so as to deal damage, much like Oberon's Hallowed Ground, which would allow Ember to more effectively DoT an area.

Edited by Ardhanarishvara

On 2/9/2018 at 8:19 PM, Kiwinille said:

Energy consumption change made literally no difference. from 0.75/sec to 1.5/sec on a 630 energy pool. I casted it as soon as I loaded on survival mission and ran with it for 30 mins until my squad wanted to extract, my energy didn't go below 500-550 energy in 30 mins, pretty much just like before.

youre in survival where blue orbs drop like crazy... of course you didnt fall under 500.