The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Please DE prioritize a decent way to update the game

seventhSea

I don't like complaining nor ranting about things, but I'll do it just this time and I hope DE can give us some news about this topic.

Why, in 2018, with all the games out there, is this the only (?) game that needs to download the whole game each time it wants to deliver a new update? It isn't a 50-100MB game that takes a couple of minutes to download, it's a 22GB game, and I expect it will keep growing.

For me, it takes about 2 hours to download the game with a good average speed (4-5MB/s I think), sometime even more than 3 hours. It's very annoying to want to play the game and have some fun after a day of work, and find that today you won't be playing because you have to download the whole game again and it takes all the time you have today.

This level of annoyance increases when you pushes 2 or 3 updates in around 7 days. Sorry, but I want to play the game, not download it over and over.

I understand that you want to push new things, and this requires updating the game, but updating the game should be download and apply the patches. I'm pretty sure that other games do this, and I haven't seen an update bigger than 4GB, so the usual update time takes less than 30 minutes, and that's if it's a big update.

Providing patch-based updates shouldn't be excessively complex. Worst case, if the game got corrupted, you can download the whole game again. I don't see much to lose.

Believe me if I say I'd be happily playing the game, but I have to do something while the game downloads again.

Edited by seventhSea

Just now, LabMan95 said:

Do you have the desktop/start screen launcher or just always start it from steam? I have never had the issue you have, but I don't have my game connected to steam so I don't know if that could be the issue

I'm connected to Steam and don't have this issue. I probably wouldn't be playing if I did.

never had that issue with both standalone and steam versions

and there's another game that makes you donwload the entire game at each update if you want to know, and it's abbreviated in hs

it's for sure a problem on your end, send a ticket to the support if you still haven't done it yet, they are the best bet to fix your problem

It's a standalone launcher in a wine (linux) environment, but I fail to know what is triggering the full download in each update. The only thing "weird" is that the startup script download the Warframe.msi installer each time I run the game... but the game contents are already downloaded...

If I'm the only one experiencing this, I'll have to check things on my end...

I guess DE delivers a new version of the msi installer from time to time, which could trigger a full download even if you choose the same installation directory as the previous version. I'm not sure if it's the msi installer the one that deletes the contents to clear the installation directory or if it's part of the installation process of the game.

It would be nice if someone from DE can confirm this. Nothing to do on their side if it's my fault, of course.

2 hours ago, seventhSea said:

I guess DE delivers a new version of the msi installer from time to time, which could trigger a full download even if you choose the same installation directory as the previous version. I'm not sure if it's the msi installer the one that deletes the contents to clear the installation directory or if it's part of the installation process of the game.

It would be nice if someone from DE can confirm this. Nothing to do on their side if it's my fault, of course.

I am sorry but seriously. You start off your post saying you dont like to complain or rant then start doing so blaming DE for their update process to then admit your running warframe on a unsupported environment aka linux. 

Copied straight from Warframe FAQ page: Note: There is no Mac or Linux client currently available.

So the issue is probably Wine having to recompile warframe every update to run. I suggest you dual boot instead of wine. 

56 minutes ago, ChaotikDreamz said:

I am sorry but seriously. You start off your post saying you dont like to complain or rant then start doing so blaming DE for their update process to then admit your running warframe on a unsupported environment aka linux. 

Copied straight from Warframe FAQ page: Note: There is no Mac or Linux client currently available.

So the issue is probably Wine having to recompile warframe every update to run. I suggest you dual boot instead of wine. 

This. Warframe forums are not the place to be when troubleshooting Linux environments. If you aren't a tinkerer then run windows applications off of an actual windows environment