The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Since DE is reworking old stuff can we talk about Channelling?

Fallen_Echo

Even if they removed the efficiency cap, with the current amount of melee mods and builds that follow, building for channeling just isn't worth it. If they made channeling work like crit, where it is a 1.5x damage multiplier instead of a +50% damage multiplier, then modding may be worth it on some weapons. Also, that drain needs to be reworked; really it is quite limiting. Perhaps a drain of shields or health like Traumatic Redirection use to would be better.

8 minutes ago, (PS4)Onder6099 said:

Shouldn't experienced player find to way how the things become useful instead of crying how useless they are and screaming for their rework? Oh, forgot crying on Forums in these days is somewhat in so why not cry about Channeling.

The experienced players have all realized that outside of some quick heals with life strike, Channeling builds are a net loss of utility and damage to both the melee weapon and warframe.

You assume people have not tried, and are unimpressed by what they are seeing.

26 minutes ago, Datam4ss said:

The experienced players have all realized that outside of some quick heals with life strike, Channeling builds are a net loss of utility and damage to both the melee weapon and warframe.

You assume people have not tried, and are unimpressed by what they are seeing.

Most of them blindly follow Mainstream with Motto: "Save the Energy whatever it will cost". This Scarecrow is here since WF release. I already stated several times that Channeling can safe your life with proper set up: Channeling Mods + Rage and/or Hunter Adrenaline. U are technically sacrificing Energy for Health, but it's near impossible if u have that Motto fixed in your head.

Edit: Btw if it's not worth to me doesn't automatically means it's not worth to anyone.

Edited by (PS4)Onder6099

24 minutes ago, (PS4)Onder6099 said:

Most of them blindly follow Mainstream with Motto: "Save the Energy whatever it will cost". This Scarecrow is here since WF release. I already stated several times that Channeling can safe your life with proper set up: Channeling Mods + Rage and/or Hunter Adrenaline. U are technically sacrificing Energy for Health, but it's near impossible if u have that Motto fixed in your head.

Edit: Btw if it's not worth to me doesn't automatically means it's not worth to anyone.

No, difference here is I rather save energy to CC a whole room (or nuke it on lower levels) than spend it on say, a couple of melee hits. I spend it to allow me to use all 3 weapons safely, and save the slot used for rage AND life strike. Also, mod slots on a melee weapon are limited. Slotting in life strike means 1 less other QoL mod or elemental. For Condition Overload weapons you have healing return which also works with no energy. Same for frames, when the rage slot could be used for more efficiency, survivarability, power strength etc.

You don't need health if you don't get hit in the first place or kill everyone before they hit you. I'll just put it to a difference in playstyle here. It just seems as though channeling was another forgotten mechanic.

1 hour ago, (PS4)Onder6099 said:

Look we can go with the assuption that you use channeling with a frame what simply doesnt use any skills (for whatever reason) and still the channel system is inferior compared to all four melee build variant ( maim build, CO build, regular status and regular crit build), plus you will still be losing lots of energy.

Also lets not forget that unless you are using the immortal wukong build at high levels rage mods to gain energy become suicide options while the channel bonus gets negated with the continously increasing enemy ehp.

As long as channeling is an additive multiplier to combo's bonus it'll always be useless. It's easy to get around 15 hits in for a 2x combo bonus and by then your channeling bonus has shrunken down from 50% to 25% since it is just additive. All the while draining your energy.

The system needs a big revisit from how the mods work, the way the energy drains (maybe make it over time instead of per hit), how efficient it is, and how much of a bonus it provides.  

I kinda feel the easiest way to deal with channeling being a largely pointless endeavor would be to have a dedicated mod loadout just for channeling. You load out your channeling build, the mods you load into it are only active while channeling...

I suppose this would kinda be power creepy, but realistically everything in this game can kill anything if you build it right... Here's an example. I see NO ONE using dispatch overdrive, and very few people using quickening. If you're going to use any channeling mod it's probably lifestrike. Frankly, dispatch overdrive is one of the best mods in the game... Largely because it lets to get from contact to contact rapidly and if you're getting in too hot, you can just kill something and shoot out of that engagement like a bat out of hell. The issue is that at this point, all builds put massing damage per second over things that augment gameplay. I would say something like 70% of your mods will never see use once players figure out that DPS is all that matters. Mods I loved at first, are now pointless, because even though they made the game more fun, they made engagements harder. So you end up going with what works rather than what's fun.

On 3/10/2018 at 6:54 PM, (PS4)Echo_X said:

I kinda feel the easiest way to deal with channeling being a largely pointless endeavor would be to have a dedicated mod loadout just for channeling. You load out your channeling build, the mods you load into it are only active while channeling...

I suppose this would kinda be power creepy, but realistically everything in this game can kill anything if you build it right... Here's an example. I see NO ONE using dispatch overdrive, and very few people using quickening. If you're going to use any channeling mod it's probably lifestrike. Frankly, dispatch overdrive is one of the best mods in the game... Largely because it lets to get from contact to contact rapidly and if you're getting in too hot, you can just kill something and shoot out of that engagement like a bat out of hell. The issue is that at this point, all builds put massing damage per second over things that augment gameplay. I would say something like 70% of your mods will never see use once players figure out that DPS is all that matters. Mods I loved at first, are now pointless, because even though they made the game more fun, they made engagements harder. So you end up going with what works rather than what's fun.

Never use life strike. If health is an issue ill use furis with aug which doesn't drain my energy or like gladiator finesse/rage combo. I use channeling to kill enemies.... Not feasible to equip lifestrike mod.

When they replaced the old charge attacks with channeling I never thought that it worked very well as a replacement. In my opinion channeling still does not work. Bring back old school charge attacks, IMO (have it use the same button). Charge attack quick melee would also make channeling/charge mods more useful overall.

Edited by CapnToaster

The only use I've found for channeling is on my CL dagger, because a) Dispatch Overdrive mitigates the speed penalty imposed by Ivara's Prowl, letting me finish spy missions faster, and b) it dissolves the bodies, which helps when I'm trying to avoid attention. Other than that, I don't really bother because the frame needs the energy for other things (Excalibur, Valkyr), the frame already has enough damage (Mirage, Rhino), or I'm not using melee attacks to begin with (Trinity, Vauban, Banshee). 

You know a mechanic is broken when the ancillary benefits to it are better than its intended purpose.

Edited by MercuryDjinni

Love channeling personally since it works on trinity, nekros, inaros and co as a energy dump.
Life Strike, Dispatch and Enduring are really the only actual channeling mods tho since the rest not only increase energy cost, but also have terrible values.
Tho when it comes to energy drain, the actual strikes arent the issue, even with -275% efficiency, its the "block channeling" should just be bloody removed or based on damage resisted since heavy gunner will eat through 400 energy in a tenth of a second between the time a combo finishes and the game actually registers you let go or toggled off channeling.

As for the mechanic on its own, id love to see weapon types actually get unique effects (partially like thrown weapons already do) where channeling does something actually unique to the weapon type with lower or higher modifier based on effect like scythes getting to be 5m range and expand model during channeling but deal only 10% more damage, claws get only 25%, but cost 1 energy and cause the enemy bodypart modifier to go up by 0.05 damage taken, Heavy blades doing 400% instead of 150% damage, but cost 15 energy a hit, etc.