Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Idles Animations!

[DE]gefu

So, you're alone in hostile environment, but are you THAT paranoid to suddenly yank a gun at EVERYWHERE you look at?

Like CoD multiplayer characters, they don't make excess or exaggerated movements. 

Also, blocking with the skana (I assume all one handed swords) looked like they're doing snake dances. 

Does that clear things up at least even a little bit?

It does, but I don't really have issues with the idles in their current form. Sure you could argue that they're a bit exaggerated, but its better than having tiny, imperceptible movements that no-one ever notices. 

As for the CoD comparison, we're space ninjas, not soldiers. Killing people isn't serious business for us :\

It does, but I don't really have issues with the idles in their current form. Sure you could argue that they're a bit exaggerated, but its better than having tiny, imperceptible movements that no-one ever notices. 

As for the CoD comparison, we're space ninjas, not soldiers. Killing people isn't serious business for us :\

Maybe make idle anims...split into 3.

- Post combat idle for 5 seconds... alerted and what not

- When he stops yanking his gun around (lol btw) he can go into a calmer idle anim. 

- If your character is somewhat idle for a long period of time (say you are looking at your gear inventory/settings) then he can do his unique Anim.

For example ASH with throwing knives.

- Post combat he searches for more targets looking around, alerted.

- Folds his arms when all clear

- When waiting for player input he does his low stance animation.

Solid?

Maybe make idle anims...split into 3.

- Post combat idle for 5 seconds... alerted and what not

- When he stops yanking his gun around (lol btw) he can go into a calmer idle anim. 

- If your character is somewhat idle for a long period of time (say you are looking at your gear inventory/settings) then he can do his unique Anim.

Solid?

Rock solid. +1

Solid?

Would be a wonderful system, but that's three times the work for them - and I'd rather see that time and effort go into more core game-play issues right now (armor, NAT, low performance, dodgy enemy AI, trading, etc).

Still a perfectly solid, and preferable system. 

Would be a wonderful system, but that's three times the work for them - and I'd rather see that time and effort go into more core game-play issues right now (armor, NAT, low performance, dodgy enemy AI, trading, etc).

Still a perfectly solid, and preferable system.

That's not how developer time works. Animators can't work in fixing networking bugs. Please don't say such a thing again.

That's not how developer time works. Animators can't work in fixing networking bugs. Please don't say such a thing again.

Yeeeaaahh.....you see I would agree with you if we hadn't seen more than the art asset team working their butts off for the last 3 updates. Sorry, but aside from some bug fixes, we havn't seen much in the way of actual new netcode, or game mechanics. So actually I feel justified in saying such a thing, lest we keep getting new weapons and sentinel attachments. Let the animators keep working on their animations - and let the coders..actually do some work for a change :\

Yeeeaaahh.....you see I would agree with you if we hadn't seen more than the art asset team working their butts off for the last 3 updates. Sorry, but aside from some bug fixes, we havn't seen much in the way of actual new netcode, or game mechanics. So actually I feel justified in saying such a thing, lest we keep getting new weapons and sentinel attachments. Let the animators keep working on their animations - and let the coders..actually do some work for a change :\

Maybe there hasn't been new netcode because they've been busy fixing bugs, and maybe there haven't been new mechanics because they still need design work? Like, did you see the glimpse of the armor 2.0 spreadsheet? 

The coders don't do new code for weapons that use preexisting mechanics, your entire argument is ridiculous.

Stop being so goddamn entitled.

>Implying the coders aren't doing work two days after we get a patch with a changelog longer than my wang.

Lol yeah.

Frost agile... maybe he oughta lean back a little bit.....JUST A LITTLE BIT... PLEEEAAAASE. PLEEEEEEEEAAASSSEEE GEOFF! I Really like the agile stance the footing really fits his character. Its just the lean forward thing.

A bit too much don't ya think. Just a little bit PLZZZ... say 1-2 inches back wouldn't hurt anyone right? :D

Maybe there hasn't been new netcode because they've been busy fixing bugs, and maybe there haven't been new mechanics because they still need design work? Like, did you see the glimpse of the armor 2.0 spreadsheet? 

The coders don't do new code for weapons that use preexisting mechanics, your entire argument is ridiculous.

Stop being so goddamn entitled.

Entitlted? Oh, I'm sorry, didn't realize it was unreasonable of me to expect results from a company I've invested money in. 

>Implying the coders aren't doing work two days after we get a patch with a changelog longer than my wang.

Lol yeah.

A lot of it is busywork and too little too late. In my opinion anyway. If you're happy with it then all well and good, but honestly, I think they have some serious issues that they're refusing to address, and have been since January.

Edited by 11.11.11

Entitlted? Oh, I'm sorry, didn't realize it was unreasonable of me to expect results from a company I've invested money in. 

A lot of it is busywork and too little too late. In my opinion anyway. If you're happy with it then all well and good, but honestly, I think they have some serious issues that they're refusing to address, and have been since January.

You're calling bugfixing busywork.

God I hope you don't work in software.

You're calling bugfixing busywork.

God I hope you don't work in software.

I'm calling the fixes they chose to address busywork - because to me a lot of it seems that way. 

- Changed the Dera sound? (again) - was that really necessary? What was so wrong with the old one? 

- Fixed the mission blueprint rewards to be distributed at the end instead of being item drops? - Nice good, but this is months out of date. We've been asking for this since the start of the year.

- Improved mini-map pathing to prevent misleading objective markers? - Yeah this still is a problem. Nothings really been fixed. And this is another long standing problem, that's  been discussed to death.

- Changed all UPPERCASE names to Capital Letters - Yay. Again, old and cosmetic.

And of course there are tons more, but when you scroll through that list, more than half of them are visual / art asset fixes, most of the remainder are simple tweaks and fixes to address bugs or glitches. None of them are actual changes or updates to the core gameplay. Aside from the survival gamemode, and the new Vaults, there hasn't truly been any new gameplay content since U9. Meanwhile armor 2.0 is still 'coming', blocking is largely useless, rolling or dodging enemy attacks has no real effect, enemy AI still gets outwitted by preschoolers, and wallrunning and jumping continue to be unresponsive, glitchy and strangely ingnorant of input commands. 

Don't get me wrong I'm glad we got this update. But I still find it hard to see all the work the other two thirds of the team are doing (discounting the art team). And yes actually I do work in software, part of the reason I find it so irksome that simple little improvements and actual development- like splitting DOF and Motion blur in the options menu - continue to be overlooked in favor of more flashy events and melee weapons. 

Look at our coveted idle animations! This whole feature started out because people complained of the same static idle for every frame, and asked if something - even unfinished and buggy, could be done about it. We were all pleasantly surprised and excited when this thread was opened, and we got to hear about the new features progress, from the horses mouth so to speak. Then the animations were released in their current build, discussion on the thread continued, and we never heard from DE ever again. Its just typical of whats been happening these last few month's  Of course its completely reasonable that they're all hard at work on Armor 2.0, or polishing the latest helmet pack, but a lot of players are getting burnt out on the content, and frustrated that long standing issues simply get ignored in favour of more melee weapons.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Oh, and in the arsenal where you change your loadouts/idles etc, left hand needs fixing. See below.

Excalibur Noble,

http://i.imgur.com/Qg8J30d.jpg

Ash's Default index pointer,

http://i.imgur.com/ikMFIf7.jpg

2nd version for better view,

http://i.imgur.com/fhHPnYq.jpg

Ember's Noble,

http://i.imgur.com/7eY42kn.jpg

Rhino's Agile,

http://i.imgur.com/Uf4VeAP.jpg

So it's safe to say a majority of the animations suffer from this I guess.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

It's a bit irrelevant but some walking animations wouldn't hurt either, idle animations could affect how they walk. I mean the Hobbled vault key already makes you walk (kind of, just too slow), having that as a real feature would be awesome, just like crouch (toggle and hold to walk).

Have you guys thought about giving Sentinels idle animations? They don't have to be custom, either. It would allow for them to showcase their intelligence a bit by interacting with their master frame. Animations I'd imagine would be feasible:

The sentinel doing a flip in midair.

The sentinel turning to it's master and slowly floating uncomfortably close to his/her head just to be shooed back by their hand.

The sentinel switching sides, floating to its master's opposite shoulder while he/she turns around looking for it.

The sentinel playfully buzzing around its master's form, nudging him in his lower back "Let's go!"