Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Idles Animations!

[DE]gefu

Nyx's Noble stance with dual/throwing side arms looks HORRIBLE.

Seriously, DE, these need work. They look horribly unnatural.

-With Dual side arms she looks like her left wrist is broken (http://i.imgur.com/rP4R9S3.jpg)

-with throwing side arms she... Hell I don't even know what that's supposed to look like, not to mention it causes her right arm to clip right through her primary weapon. (http://i.imgur.com/GGdWybG.jpg)

I appreciate you're doing this, but same as the last idles, some of these just look rushed, unpolished and completely unnatural.

Compare Nyx to Mag, and you'll see what I mean. Mag's idles are great, they're very natural- they're basic but believable and have personality to them. Nyx on the other hand just looks over-the-top and fake. The more I look at them, the more off-putting they look.

Edited by SlimShazbot

Compare Nyx to Mag, and you'll see what I mean. Mag's idles are great, they're very natural- they're basic but believable and have personality to them. Nyx on the other hand just looks over-the-top and fake. The more I look at them, the more off-putting they look.

I'm with you on the lack of polish. But really - this is what I expected. We asked to be kept in the loop more with each new idea their working on, and have access to it sooner. Of course we're going to get stuff that's a little derpy, unfinished or glitched. 

Oh and I couldn't resist: 

3b68h.jpg

Edited by 11.11.11

I hope they do end up tweaking these as time goes on though. Frankly, its a bit insulting to see your favorite frames get crummy looking animations that look like they were rushed out the door.

Like with Vauban, neither of his look good at all. They both look so... awkward.

Edited by SlimShazbot

I hope they do end up tweaking these as time goes on though. Frankly, its a bit insulting to see your favorite frames get crummy looking animations that look like they were rushed out the door.

Like with Vauban, neither of his look good at all.

You mean "any of his" seeing as there are three not just two. Click the default skin to display the standard idles.

You mean "any of his" seeing as there are three not just two. Click the default skin to display the standard idles.

I mean "neither of his" as in his unique idles. Noble and Agile.

With all of my favorite frames I've just been sticking with default idles, because the unique ones look bad. It just a shame because I wanted to take advantage of the new customization but ultimately they look worse than the default.

Edited by SlimShazbot

Just because one person doesn't like some of the idles, doesn't mean that they're not good.

While some of the new idles we got are kinda plain, alot of them are really awesome. 

They can't keep changing S#&$ until everyone likes it, just look what happened with IRON SKIN...

Atleast with idles you have a choice out of 3, with IRON SKIN, you're stuck with the current version, while I like all versions, not everyone shares the same opinion..

Some people want to be tinfoil, some a christmas porcupine, others lumpy stuff.

Be glad that we even have the choice to have alternate idles.

Edited by Flackenstien

I think my only problems per se have been with a handful of the unarmed idles.

My three pet peeves when it comes to idles: low crouching in Agile stance (it may sound crude, but I imagine frames who hold that position to be constipated), raised arms in any unarmed idle (since you're basically waiting to punch someone in the face inside the dojo- really shows the spirit of camaraderie between Tenno, doesn't it), and looping unarmed animations in which the frame doesn't do anything but breathe. The latter two of which is why I was so looking forward to getting new stances for Nova.

I really like the lotus position Nyx takes during her Agile stance, but I don't like how she crouches for the rest of the animation. You'd think her Noble stance would be the solution to that, but I also dislike that she keeps her arms at the ready, and the Noble interpretation of the lotus stance is just too short and somehow less tranquil. Really, Nyx just looks uncomfortable in any stance when she's not wielding a rifle, and seems to have absolutely no idea what she's doing when she's wielding knives outside the standard stance.

As for Volt... I don't enjoy how he crouches for the Agile stance, and I feel he's a bit too... effeminate in his Noble stance (nothing wrong with being an effeminate male, but the stance's name isn't exactly fitting...). What I mean is, he stands up a bit too tall, with his limbs very close to the center of his person, very reserved, giving him no "laid back" option even unarmed. Overall though, I'd probably be okay with his Noble stance if he did more in it; I'm mostly just disappointed that he doesn't arc some lightning between his fingers or whathaveyou, for it or any of his stances.

In the same vein as Volt, I was actually kinda bored by Nova's and Vauban's idles. They just spent way too much time flexing in spite of the powers of these frames. With Nova in particular, yes I was dismayed by her having two stances with raised arms, but I mostly feel like there was a missed opportunity to have her summon up that energy particle from the beginning of her Profile video. Vauban... he could have done some calculations in the air or pulled up a holographic map or hey, juggled his grenades for a bit.

A buddy of mine was also expressing his disappointment that Loki and Ash both remained completely corporeal for the entirety of their idles, especially that Loki's idles didn't really do anything but use a looping animation (though we have enjoyed Ash's incorporeal knives since his previous idle's release).

Overall though, I do enjoy the variety we can get with customizing the frames and appreciate the work put into the new animations I'm using on the other 5 of my frames.

Edited by Archwizard

While I do applaud the improvement in the idles in general (more options is always good), I feel that there's still a degree of alienation towards the player base by having removed entirely some of the unique idles that were in place before - most notably Ash, who has had the silly 'stick-up-the-backside' pose restored and the previous fix to that very same unpopular stance removed, when it was damn near perfect.

Surely it would be straightforward to simply restore these 'lost' poses (I know Ember had one, I believe a few other frames did too though I have been unable to verify that) as additional options, since they were already created and thus already exist? It results in only a net positive (more options, more pleased players) with no drawback, after all.

Edited by MalusCalibur

While I do applaud the improvement in the idles in general (more options is always good), I feel that there's still a degree of alienation towards the player base by having removed entirely some of the unique idles that were in place before - most notably Ash, who has had the silly 'stick-up-the-backside' pose restored and the previous fix to that very same unpopular stance removed, when it was damn near perfect.

Surely it would be straightforward to simply restore these 'lost' poses (I know Ember had one, I believe a few other frames did too though I have been unable to verify that) as additional options, since they were already created and thus already exist? It results in only a net positive (more options, more pleased players) with no drawback, after all.

Thissssss.

I'd love to have Loki's original 'new' stance back.

(Yes I keep repeating myself)

That was nice!!

what about sentinel idle animation/behavior? that would be nice!
A follower option and a stray wanderer option.

May be a bulk/agile option for the slide and fliying kick animation.

the current animation for agile, and other that slides hitting with the shin and knee, more suited for bulky frames like the rhino.

Love the addition of new idles! Any possibility of adding even more!? I would love to have an "On Edge" idle where your character is always looking behind and quick head moves and gun points. Or maybe even a lazy/nonchalant idle where the frame you're using could care less there are 100 grineer running at them :D

Love the addition of new idles! Any possibility of adding even more!?

Yep, and lazy idle sounds good to me lol.

Also for people wondering, these idles will be......free! I could see us in the future adding more customization options with animation packs offered in the store but not for these guys :)

While I generally like the new animations and overall art aesthetic of this game I find it truly puzzling how virtually every new idle stance is so improperly weighted. I really hate to say it because of how good this game does look, but DE really needs to find someone capable of balancing a pose. My suggestion would be to actually try assuming the in-game pose in real life and then noticing that you straight fall if you do this with pretty much every idle pose.

Although I do realize it may be hard to balance a pose due to difference in warframe helms (some having much larger rear or forward elements), but at least having balance with the default would be a start. Also while I realize the infested are supposed to be continually evolving and that the Ancients are actually so evolved they no longer resemble their original form, they should still feel as though they belong to the same race. I personally find the new model to look quite terrible but then again I was never a big fan of Gumby. If you guys would like to keep the existing ancients I would highly recommend making a "missing link", basically an intermediate between early infested and later (Ancients) so that they all feel not only that they can exist in the same world but are actually a same/similar species.

Keep the discussion alive! They need the feedback. They need the support. They need our help to get these animations right. I for one love the whole concept, but they feel underwhelming partly due to the lack of actual substance within them.

For instance, Ash looks like a freaking ninja. His stance oozes 'Ash' so to speak. However, you don't get such a feel or character from all the other warframes because their stances aren't really unique or have no defining characteristics that set them apart from the rest.

Edited by Gigatron-Prime

• 2 weeks later...

Noble anims clipping for the Braton series (le right arm).

Idle anims with lesser flashy/fancy/overly paranoid, must point gun at them movements? Like those multiplayer FPS characters that do almost nothing other than bending backs getting backaches/scan surroundings without whipping their guns here and there or the weewy, weewy  minor movements? 

And the melee block for one handed weapons *skana* looked like uh, snake dance?

Noble anims clipping for the Braton series (le right arm).

Idle anims with lesser flashy/fancy/overly paranoid, must point gun at them movements? Like those multiplayer FPS characters that do almost nothing other than bending backs getting backaches/scan surroundings without whipping their guns here and there or the weewy, weewy  minor movements? 

And the melee block for one handed weapons *skana* looked like uh, snake dance?

?_? 

?_? 

So, you're alone in hostile environment, but are you THAT paranoid to suddenly yank a gun at EVERYWHERE you look at?

Like CoD multiplayer characters, they don't make excess or exaggerated movements. 

Also, blocking with the skana (I assume all one handed swords) looked like they're doing snake dances. 

Does that clear things up at least even a little bit?