The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×
The Lotus Eaters: Known Issues ×

Performance reduction recently

Sasha-

Well there seems to be quite a few topics concerning FPS drops and such, but I think I will add my own because I haven't noticed "bugs" where my FPS drops to really low levels but I have a noticed a considerable reduction in overall game performance recently.

My PC has been able to play Warframe with up to 120 FPS quite often and averages of 80-90fps in intense matches with four players. This is even with lots of mobs and powers on screen. I ALWAYS monitor my FPS and i am very sensitive to reductions.

Recently, (I can't pin it down to a particular update) my FPS has tanked considerably, reduced by up to 20-30fps. I now rarely go over 90 fps when there is very little on screen and i have seen drops below 60 when lots of mobs are in play. Whilst technically playable in my eyes, still, there is a noticeable reduction in smoothness for me. My rig NEVER Used to drop below 60 at all.

I have literally Reinstalled both the game and Windows 10 to try and fix this performance degradation, but to no avail. Clock speed, temperatures, etc are all in check. My PC is not throttling or overheating.

CPU: Ryzen 7 1800X @ 4.0 GHz

RAM: 2x8GB 3200 MHz C14  DDR4

GPU: XFX Radeon RX 480 8GB @ 1300MHz (with latest drivers).

This is anecdotal, but i also play with Task Manager open on a second monitor and I have noticed that the game seems to be "threading" less? i mean it's taking up a single thread rather than splitting the load like it used to. This is purely based on my observation.

I tried this, unchecking DX11 but it still runs in DX11 mode according to my On Screen display and the performance is still horrible. I was in a four player match today with a Nekros in the team and i was getting choppy sub 50fps, ugh. I really can't play like that.

On 23/03/2018 at 12:51 PM, SporeCulture said:

I tried this, unchecking DX11 but it still runs in DX11 mode according to my On Screen display and the performance is still horrible. I was in a four player match today with a Nekros in the team and i was getting choppy sub 50fps, ugh. I really can't play like that.

I've been getting the same issue and also made a thread about it (which got nowhere). Despite having a potato I didn't have any issues in staying at 60+ in most tilesets, excluding places like Earth and a few problematic tiles, but recently I noticed that being in a squad of 4 players reduced my frame rate to sub 50FPS for no reason and that was something that didn't happen before. I also noticed that while with 4 players the FPS dunk even if I look at a wall, the CPU usage isn't high at all, and it's barely higher than on 2 or 3 player parties which aren't an issue at all.

I think the issue is CPU related and the game just isn't using the CPU well enough, as if it was a graphical issue I could get the frames back by looking at a wall and transmissions would lower the FPS as they usually do, but once I get the sub 50FPS drops transmissions no longer make the FPS drop and the dynamic resolution doesn't trigger either so it has to be the CPU (again the game never maxes it which is very weird when I have things on high performance and cores unparked).

13 hours ago, God_is_a_Cat_Girl said:

I've been getting the same issue and also made a thread about it (which got nowhere). Despite having a potato I didn't have any issues in staying at 60+ in most tilesets, excluding places like Earth and a few problematic tiles, but recently I noticed that being in a squad of 4 players reduced my frame rate to sub 50FPS for no reason and that was something that didn't happen before. I also noticed that while with 4 players the FPS dunk even if I look at a wall, the CPU usage isn't high at all, and it's barely higher than on 2 or 3 player parties which aren't an issue at all.

I think the issue is CPU related and the game just isn't using the CPU well enough, as if it was a graphical issue I could get the frames back by looking at a wall and transmissions would lower the FPS as they usually do, but once I get the sub 50FPS drops transmissions no longer make the FPS drop and the dynamic resolution doesn't trigger either so it has to be the CPU (again the game never maxes it which is very weird when I have things on high performance and cores unparked).

What CPU/GPU do you have? 

I've been having a similar issue, that is present even when solo. It becomes noticeable more so on survival missions. Running Nekros, and I'm seeing slow steady dropping framerates. Whereas I was able 120+ easily now it crawls down to 25-30 FPS before I restart It is happening every time I play the game and run survival missions. I also see my RAM usage climb higher while the FPS is dropping. When the mission is over, it persists on my orbiter and other missions.

Hardware:

CPU: Intel i7-8700k @ 4.8GHz

GPU: NVIDIA 1080TI
RAM: 16GB Corsair Dominator DDR @ 3021MHz

Edit: So I changed my BIOS from the Auto-Overclocking settings on RAM and CPU, and reinstalled Warframe using the non-steam version and i'm getting MUCH better results. I think it was something with my Overclocks that was unstable and causing issues with warframe specifically.

Edited by RashOctillery

18 hours ago, RashOctillery said:

I've been having a similar issue, that is present even when solo. It becomes noticeable more so on survival missions. Running Nekros, and I'm seeing slow steady dropping framerates. Whereas I was able 120+ easily now it crawls down to 25-30 FPS before I restart It is happening every time I play the game and run survival missions. I also see my RAM usage climb higher while the FPS is dropping. When the mission is over, it persists on my orbiter and other missions.

Hardware:

Damn, you have a much more powerful CPU for warframe than me, and if you are getting such low fps must be a major issue. :( I am surprised because you have an NVIDIA GPU, I thought it was a driver thing with AMD...

On 3/30/2018 at 9:34 PM, RashOctillery said:

Hardware:

Im running a similar rig with 4k UHD 60hz monitors and get down to 20fps in fights and 35 at idle in missions only place i keep around 60fps is on my orbiter. Is there some setting im missing or should i be downscaling my settings for like 1080p level setup. Ive tinkered away in the settings and nothing seems to help.

Hardware:

cpu: intel 8700k

Gpu: 1080ti FE

Memory: 32gb teamforce nighthawk 3200ghz

Edited by enokilizer
Adding actual hardware specs

10 hours ago, enokilizer said:

Im running a similar rig with 4k UHD 60hz monitors and get down to 20fps in fights and 35 at idle in missions only place i keep around 60fps is on my orbiter. Is there some setting im missing or should i be downscaling my settings for like 1080p level setup. Ive tinkered away in the settings and nothing seems to help.

Hardware:

cpu: intel 8700k

Gpu: 1080ti FE

Memory: 32gb teamforce nighthawk 3200ghz

Wow something is seriously wrong. Your rig should easily be able to do 4K 60+ FPS in Warframe, (I remember my R9 390 giving it a damn good shot a while back), do you check your GPU / CPU temps? I am seeing 45-50fps choppy in fights right now but I play at 2560x1440 these days.

6 hours ago, SporeCulture said:

Wow something is seriously wrong. Your rig should easily be able to do 4K 60+ FPS in Warframe, (I remember my R9 390 giving it a damn good shot a while back), do you check your GPU / CPU temps? I am seeing 45-50fps choppy in fights right now but I play at 2560x1440 these days.

my temps and hardware utilization are way down this game doesn't make my rig even try but it looks like S#&$ in game, My brother plays on a amd fx 6300 and a gtx 1080 and gets ssignificantly better stable FPS than me in most game no idea why 

Well i think i found the issue turns out something about Warframe sets off my BIOS's power saving mode down clocking my CPU to 1 GHz had to go through and change the AI on my CPU performance and disable the power saving modes in the bios. I noticed it when i launch Waframe it down clocks my CPU immediately to around 1 GHz hence the terrible frames in game.

Also having performance issues on an older AMD laptop. Was easily able to get playable fps on medium two weeks ago, and then a power issue arose with the charger. I have now got a new charger, and everything is performing as it did previously. Except Warframe. I used to get an easy 140fps (If I didn't limit to 72 like I usually do) in the orbiter, and average 55 in intense missions. PoE ran at 45-50, with eidolon lowering that to 35 minimum at times. This was on medium graphics with motion blur off. Since this new update I have not seen a drop in fps, per se. At times the in-game fps monitor shows exactly what I would expect from this laptop previously, but it feels laggy/choppy. This was in a normal spy mission, not much intense rendering going on. It felt like it was running at 20-25 fps. When I got out of that mission, I noticed that the fps meter was showing only 45-50 in my orbiter. Entering another mission made that drop to 18-20fps, which is where it stayed for the next hour that I played. I also noticed Warframe's exe taking up a lot more memory than usual in Task manager, where it was reporting 2.5GB of RAM in use by WF, unlike the game, which was reporting 800MB. This sounds much like a memory leak. Turning the graphics down made no change, by the way. Going from medium to low got me an extra 2fps, making for a grand total of 22fps in mission.

Machine specs:

MSI GX60 3CC Destroyer laptop

CPU: AMD A10-5750M (Quadcore @ 2.5GHz base, runs at 3.1GHz boost when MSI Turbo active)

Dedicated GPU: AMD Radeon R9 M290X (2GB VRAM, slight OC via MSI Afterburner, default GPU in Crimson)

Integrated GPU: AMD Radeon HD8650G (768MB VRAM, barely used outside of explorer.exe)

RAM: 12GB DDR3L 1600MHz

Notes:

Warframe.x64.exe is set to use the R9 M290X in the Radeon Additional Settings. When monitored, the dedicated is shown to be in use.

This laptop has given driver problems with the iGPU/dGPU being on different support levels before, however this has been fixed with driver updates and BIOS updates.

When playing Warframe, CPU0/1 are showing 97-100% activity, while CPU2/3 are showing little to no activity. Previously the load was split between all 4 relatively evenly.

The CPU seems to be heating up a lot more than previously. It's now hitting 85C, even with MSI CoolerBoost active. Previously it didn't touch 80 at all, and averaged between 65-70. I know AMD CPUs are heaters, but this is ridiculous.

I've noticed this too. No need to go through the details. We all know warframe has a huge CPU hog problem, but lately it has been getting worse. My FPS is around 150-180, but once mobs start spawning in and players start using abilities(eventhough they are on a different part of the map, outside my FOV) my FPS starts to tank. I go down to 90's and it introduces stutter, the game doesn't feel smooth. 

This has always been an issue, but lately it seems to have increased.

The issue is more evident when I'm the host btw.

edit : 

Specs :

gtx 1060 6gb (OC)

7700k @ 4.8ghz

32gb ddr4 ram @ 2666mhz

Game is installed on samsung evo 850 500gb ssd.

Edited by White_Matter

On ‎3‎/‎23‎/‎2018 at 7:51 PM, SporeCulture said:

same here, I thought that I've broke my hardware or something hahaha, here's my spec

i7 6th gen running on 4.0Ghz not oced, I think its 6700K

16 Gigs ram DDR4 2400Mhz

Gigabyte Z270 mobo, SSD Samsung half terabyte (i've installed warframe on SSD) and a 1 TB HDD

I'm playing with an old HDTV from samsung 42 inch 60Hz 1920x1080

I have two GPU card, one is 1070 founder edition from asus, and 1080ti founder edition asus too, tested both, and nothing changed.

played with 4 squads, two nekros, one hydroid, and an oberon, my FPS droped from 110 to 50 ish :facepalm: 40 FPS worst. its not my 1st time experiencing this issue actually, but nowadays its getting worsen. especially in survival and high waves of defense.

anyway I'm very sorry if my grammar is messed up or something, English isn't my native language, but well you know, I'm here just trying to help.

7 hours ago, -.Iridium.- said:

same here, I thought that I've broke my hardware or something hahaha, here's my spec

i7 6th gen running on 4.0Ghz not oced, I think its 6700K

16 Gigs ram DDR4 2400Mhz

Gigabyte Z270 mobo, SSD Samsung half terabyte (i've installed warframe on SSD) and a 1 TB HDD

I'm playing with an old HDTV from samsung 42 inch 60Hz 1920x1080

I have two GPU card, one is 1070 founder edition from asus, and 1080ti founder edition asus too, tested both, and nothing changed.

played with 4 squads, two nekros, one hydroid, and an oberon, my FPS droped from 110 to 50 ish :facepalm: 40 FPS worst. its not my 1st time experiencing this issue actually, but nowadays its getting worsen. especially in survival and high waves of defense.

anyway I'm very sorry if my grammar is messed up or something, English isn't my native language, but well you know, I'm here just trying to help.

Yeah I'm seeing 40FPS~ quite a lot now, it's getting annoying. But I still need my Warframe fix so i'm just playing through it lol. Your CPU should be better than mine for Warframe.. it's definitely something DE has done recently. We've got all these different combinations of Hardware from all the different vendors. I suspected it was an AMD driver issue but apparently not. Lots of Nvidia uses here too. Oh, and your Grammar is perfectly fine. Really good, in fact. I don't even speak any other language aside from English so you're doing great. :)

4 hours ago, SporeCulture said:

Yeah I'm seeing 40FPS~ quite a lot now, it's getting annoying. But I still need my Warframe fix so i'm just playing through it lol. Your CPU should be better than mine for Warframe.. it's definitely something DE has done recently. We've got all these different combinations of Hardware from all the different vendors. I suspected it was an AMD driver issue but apparently not. Lots of Nvidia uses here too. Oh, and your Grammar is perfectly fine. Really good, in fact. I don't even speak any other language aside from English so you're doing great. :)

Im glad that my english getting better and better, anyway lets hope that they'll fix the problem for us very soon :smile: 

To be honest, i think (although i did some testing to prove this, or at the very least have a suspicion that this might be the case) what is causing this issue is the overall coding either in the GPU drivers, or in the Game itself when it comes to overall graphical information given to the GPU (althought i honestly think its the later, not the former.) causing not only overheating issues, but overall GPU/CPU overusage and degrading Performance.

When i was suffering from these frame rate drops that even the game itself wasnt recognizing (i saw this when even though i had the Show FPS option on in the menus, the drops would occur, but the game said the FPS was the same), the computer would overheat very easily and even some light load tilesets (even some in the Archwing Missions) would show these drops. At first, i thought my potatoe simply couldnt handle the game anymore, but my computer didnt have issues playing some other games (like Warface). However, in some cases with Warframe, the FPS drops would sometimes happen after 5 mins in, sometime 10 to 12 mins in. Even in the Liset, the drops would occur.

After doing some testing with various solutions given by not only members on the forums and various players, but also the DE staff as well (solutions such as turning off 3rd party processes in the backround, updating drivers, changing on and off various display and config options in the Launcher, including turning on and off DX10 and DX11, changing the Graphics options on my computer, ect.),I came to this conclusion and began to do some testing to at least have an idea of what it could truely be.

I first started the testing phase when i did the Warframe Stress Test Easter Egg with various options and "solutions" on, but none of them seemed to work, so i even tryed to use various Anti malware Scans to see if it was a Malware issue, but no go. It wasnt until i used a program called "Tornado Throttlestop 850" that seemed to show progress in improving the game play and Stop the unrecognized FPS drops ingame.

i found the Program on Youtube after looking for a solution to Overheating CPUs/GPUs and how to resolve this issue through a process known as "Undervolting". It essentually means that you reduce the voltage being used by your CPU/GPU to prevent Overheating. This is the Video that showed me how to do this (the Program is in a link in the description of the video):

Story short: After i did this, my laptop was not only able to improve performance significantly (even on POE), but the overall FPS drops went completely away.

So like i said, I think its the Graphical Coding in Warframe that is causing issues with these performance dips. If you guys think this might be the issue, give this test a try and see if it helps you in any way.

Edited by WanderoftheAether
Grammar Correction

I monitor CPU and GPU temperatures on a second monitor. My CPU is liquid cooled and my GPU is an aftermarket cooler (I actually undervolt it too). Temperatures on GPU never exceed 60C and CPU rarely goes over 45C during gaming. 

Interesting is that I have been playing Infested missions lately and I do not get anywhere near the same FPS drops. It seems to be exclusive to Grineer missions. Which is very odd, will do more testing,..

I've been having similar issues, i5 + 1060 at 3440x1440. Been fine for a year but lately stuttering on a few maps. Seems to tank around water and fog especially if multiple lights are in the area. I've tried turning lots of stuff on and off without success. No throttling issues i can find.

I have been wondering if they are playing with the physx or particle settings during the last couple small patches.

Edited by hooperinius

• 2 months later...