Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

An Analysis of Chroma

MickThejaguar

Goals for this post
Since there's a lot of debate surrounding whether or not Chroma is in a good place after his changes earlier this year, I'd like to take some time to go through each one of his abilities, what they do, and what could be done to improve them, if improvement is necessary.  

Passive: Elemental Alignment
Chroma's passive changes which of the base 4 elements he controls based on the color of his energy. I don't really need to explain the issue with this passive as DE has been beaten over the head with a billion times but for the sake of clarity I'll do anyway. This should not be Chroma's passive. The ability to change between elements is Chroma's identity as a frame and should be ingrained in his kit, not taking the space of an actual passive. Chroma's passive is essentially that he gets to use the other 3/4 of his kit instead of being stuck with one element. Passive effects are things that you don't have to actively do, they just happen. Changing Chroma's colors in order to change his element is something that you have to actively do yourself, so why not just tie it to an ability so he has room for an actual passive?

1st Ability: Spectral Scream
Chroma channels a continuous stream of whatever element he's attuned to in front of him. During the duration of this ability Chroma is still able to activate his other abilities but cannot use his weapons. The problem with this ability is that even with a full damage buff from his 3 (more on that later) the damage on it is too small to warrant it's usage over your weapons. And because it's the only ability he has that's sole purpose is damage, he basically becomes a walking turret that fires peanuts everywhere. The fix to this is fairly simple. Either ramp up the damage severely or allow him to continue using his weapons while the ability is active.

2nd Ability: Elemental Ward
Chroma grants himself and nearby allies an aura with a different effect based on his attuned element. Fire increases max health and grants an aura that deals heat damage. Electricity increases max shields and converts damage taken into an arc of electricity that damages a single target. Toxin increases reload speed and holster rate while also having a chance to deal toxin damage equal to 5% of the target's max hp. Cold increases base armor and grants an ice shield that reflects projectiles. This is regarded as one of Chroma's good abilities but I feel like the reduction to Chroma's tankiness has drastically effected this ability. Since Chroma has lost a large portion of his survivability, this ability needs to be used to supplement it, so right off the bat Toxin (which was just bad even before the changes) and Electricity are useless because neither gives him enough survivability. Electricity gives shields which are worthless because several status procs actively ignore shields and armor doesn't protect them. Also Electricity requires that you take damage to deal any in the first place which is even further counter productive. Fire and Cold are probably your go to elements and even they don't feel like they do enough. However I don't believe I have enough knowledge to give a suggestion for each aura. So my buff suggestions are as follows. Fire: The health increase is good but I recommend also adding a health regen effect as well. Cold: Increase the the amount of armor given to supplement the loss of damage reduction from his 3. Toxin and Electricity I'm a bit lost on. 

3rd Ability: Vex Armor
For the duration of this ability Chroma gains damage reduction when receiving damage to his shields and a damage boost when receiving damage to his health. These buffs are shared with nearby allies and the ability can be recast to maintain the buffs. This is the ability that was hit hard by DE. The damage buff isn't what I'm worried about. Chroma's a tank so he shouldn't be doing absurd damage. However DE also gutted the damage reduction he received from this ability, which he relied on to survive in higher levels, without providing him any sort of stat increase to supplement it. My fix to this is fairly simple and doesn't involve changing the actual ability. Just buff Chroma's base armor and health so that he can perform as tank again.

4th Ability: Effigy
Chroma sheds his pelt and sets it up as a flying sentry that deals his attuned element in an aoe while also having the chance to perform either a elemental attack or a stun attack on the surrounding enemies. While this ability is active Chroma gains 20% movement speed but loses half of his armor. There is absolutely no reason to use this ability. Ever. Per point of energy consumed the damage it deals is worse than spectral scream, you lose half your armor (which is just awful for a tank), it eats through energy at a ridiculous pace and the stun (arguably the best part of the ability) is too unreliable. My fixes for this would be to reduce the cost of this ability by a lot and make it so that the stun pulses in regular intervals with the elemental attack completely removed. If Chroma needs to lose survivability to use the ability then he should something else to help him stay alive.

Overview
Chroma doesn't really have his own place in warframe right now. Nothing he currently provides can't be gained from a better source and he just overall suffers from being relegated to simply being a sub par buff frame at a time when Octavia exists. This is worsened by having a kit that just doesn't seem well put together. Some individual pieces are good but it just doesn't seem to come together as one whole frame. I'd like to see him return to being more a tank frame and I'd also like to hear anyone and everyone's thoughts on my assessments and Chroma himself. Please keep in mind this mostly just my opinion and my point of view of the frame.

Interesting changes you suggested here. Regarding his 1 I agree the damage doesn't scale well at all and could use a nice buff. His 2 isn't as bad as you make it out to be (at least not to me) but the electricity and toxic auras could use a little work. His 3 was never meant to work the way it did, which is why DE doesn't refer to it as a nerf but instead as a "rework" (lol). His 4 needs a decrease in energy cost yes, and the constant stun you suggest breaks off a little bit from his tanky damage dealing self, but would warrant the use of the ability more so than now. Overall, I think some of the changes you mentioned would really help out chroma. Especially the increase in health. Maybe by 25 or 50 at base, plus 50 armor. That would help make up for loss of his 3.

Just an idea for Effigy, what if it was a duration-based skill that can be toggled off? For example, at base, Effigy will last for 20 seconds. A singular cost to cast the effigy for 20 seconds with no energy drain over time. If you don't want to wait 20 seconds to return your pelt to yourself, you can always activate the skill again to turn it off early. That'd help a ton with the energy issues that the skill brings. And since Chroma builds duration anyways, Effigy will always have a pretty good duration on it.

Some ideas off the top of my head..

Passive: not really sure.. maybe a temporary immunity to knockdown after taking a certain amount of damage

1: definately needs a damage increase.. or allow weapon usage like the OP said

2: incorporate the current passive ability here and make it cyclable(is that a word?) like Ivara's Quiver.. cold and heat are fine.. not sure what to do about toxin and electric either

3: i'm still salty about this one.. a significant base armor increase would be tolerable..

4: scrap the speed buff and armor nerf.. make this power the one that gives an aura buff (based on the current element equipped) and have a follow/stay toggle

TBH, I haven't played much since his nerf.. alot of time and resources wasted.. basically just login, swap extractors, logout..

Chorma can't be a dragon ;_; DE please fix his 1 and 4 needs help.

his 2 and 3 are ok

However most of all YES CHORMA DOES NOT HAVE A PASSIVE!

unless your saying equinox has 2 passives chroma does not have a passive. 

Edited by hazerddex

On 4/4/2018 at 1:25 AM, MickThejaguar said:

Goals for this post
Since there's a lot of debate surrounding whether or not Chroma is in a good place after his changes earlier this year, I'd like to take some time to go through each one of his abilities, what they do, and what could be done to improve them, if improvement is necessary.  

Chroma's passive changes which of the base 4 elements he controls based on the color of his energy. I don't really need to explain the issue with this passive as DE has been beaten over the head with a billion times but for the sake of clarity I'll do anyway. This should not be Chroma's passive. The ability to change between elements is Chroma's identity as a frame and should be ingrained in his kit, not taking the space of an actual passive. Chroma's passive is essentially that he gets to use the other 3/4 of his kit instead of being stuck with one element. Passive effects are things that you don't have to actively do, they just happen. Changing Chroma's colors in order to change his element is something that you have to actively do yourself, so why not just tie it to an ability so he has room for an actual passive?

Chroma channels a continuous stream of whatever element he's attuned to in front of him. During the duration of this ability Chroma is still able to activate his other abilities but cannot use his weapons. The problem with this ability is that even with a full damage buff from his 3 (more on that later) the damage on it is too small to warrant it's usage over your weapons. And because it's the only ability he has that's sole purpose is damage, he basically becomes a walking turret that fires peanuts everywhere. The fix to this is fairly simple. Either ramp up the damage severely or allow him to continue using his weapons while the ability is active.

Chroma grants himself and nearby allies an aura with a different effect based on his attuned element. Fire increases max health and grants an aura that deals heat damage. Electricity increases max shields and converts damage taken into an arc of electricity that damages a single target. Toxin increases reload speed and holster rate while also having a chance to deal toxin damage equal to 5% of the target's max hp. Cold increases base armor and grants an ice shield that reflects projectiles. This is regarded as one of Chroma's good abilities but I feel like the reduction to Chroma's tankiness has drastically effected this ability. Since Chroma has lost a large portion of his survivability, this ability needs to be used to supplement it, so right off the bat Toxin (which was just bad even before the changes) and Electricity are useless because neither gives him enough survivability. Electricity gives shields which are worthless because several status procs actively ignore shields and armor doesn't protect them. Also Electricity requires that you take damage to deal any in the first place which is even further counter productive. Fire and Cold are probably your go to elements and even they don't feel like they do enough. However I don't believe I have enough knowledge to give a suggestion for each aura. So my buff suggestions are as follows. Fire: The health increase is good but I recommend also adding a health regen effect as well. Cold: Increase the the amount of armor given to supplement the loss of damage reduction from his 3. Toxin and Electricity I'm a bit lost on. 

For the duration of this ability Chroma gains damage reduction when receiving damage to his shields and a damage boost when receiving damage to his health. These buffs are shared with nearby allies and the ability can be recast to maintain the buffs. This is the ability that was hit hard by DE. The damage buff isn't what I'm worried about. Chroma's a tank so he shouldn't be doing absurd damage. However DE also gutted the damage reduction he received from this ability, which he relied on to survive in higher levels, without providing him any sort of stat increase to supplement it. My fix to this is fairly simple and doesn't involve changing the actual ability. Just buff Chroma's base armor and health so that he can perform as tank again.

Chroma sheds his pelt and sets it up as a flying sentry that deals his attuned element in an aoe while also having the chance to perform either a elemental attack or a stun attack on the surrounding enemies. While this ability is active Chroma gains 20% movement speed but loses half of his armor. There is absolutely no reason to use this ability. Ever. Per point of energy consumed the damage it deals is worse than spectral scream, you lose half your armor (which is just awful for a tank), it eats through energy at a ridiculous pace and the stun (arguably the best part of the ability) is too unreliable. My fixes for this would be to reduce the cost of this ability by a lot and make it so that the stun pulses in regular intervals with the elemental attack completely removed. If Chroma needs to lose survivability to use the ability then he should something else to help him stay alive.

Overview
Chroma doesn't really have his own place in warframe right now. Nothing he currently provides can't be gained from a better source and he just overall suffers from being relegated to simply being a sub par buff frame at a time when Octavia exists. This is worsened by having a kit that just doesn't seem well put together. Some individual pieces are good but it just doesn't seem to come together as one whole frame. I'd like to see him return to being more a tank frame and I'd also like to hear anyone and everyone's thoughts on my assessments and Chroma himself. Please keep in mind this mostly just my opinion and my point of view of the frame.

I agree wholeheartedly with his damage reduction. The damage multiplier, yea okay it was pretty broken but now chroma can hardly tank lv 70s much less what he used to. Id say make the ability like shatter shield where it gives a damage reduction (up to 99%) depending on the damage inflicted. Much like trinity’s pre nerf blessing. 

Chroma really needs some changes/buffs. Currently he is basically just a poor mans Rhino. After the nerfs to his Vex armor there is basically no reason to take him over Rhino anymore. His damage buff, while taking more effort and being limited to only weapon damage, no longer gives more damage than Rhinos "Roar" and is thus vastly inferior. And his defense also went down a lot and I take "Iron Skin" with it's immunity to status procs and being knocked around over it in basically any situation.

And on top of all that Rhinos "1" and "4" are actually useful. Chromas "4" badly needs a rework. I understand why it's the way it is, because with less energy drain it would be a perfect tool for afk farming and DE does not want that. Yet with the massive energy drain and the downside of losing most of your armor it's not worth using at all and clearly one of the worse 4th abilities in the game.

4 hours ago, ----Fenrir---- said:

Chroma really needs some changes/buffs. Currently he is basically just a poor mans Rhino. After the nerfs to his Vex armor there is basically no reason to take him over Rhino anymore. His damage buff, while taking more effort and being limited to only weapon damage, no longer gives more damage than Rhinos "Roar" and is thus vastly inferior. And his defense also went down a lot and I take "Iron Skin" with it's immunity to status procs and being knocked around over it in basically any situation.

And on top of all that Rhinos "1" and "4" are actually useful. Chromas "4" badly needs a rework. I understand why it's the way it is, because with less energy drain it would be a perfect tool for afk farming and DE does not want that. Yet with the massive energy drain and the downside of losing most of your armor it's not worth using at all and clearly one of the worse 4th abilities in the game.

So what I'm seeing here is "Chroma was never good for anything besides breaking the game with his overtuned [bugged] buffs, so now there's no reason to use him since I never cared about his design in the first place."

Chroma's buff is also 20% stronger than Rhino's at max rank and has other advantages/disadvantages, making this an apples/oranges comparison to begin with.

I won't comment on Effigy here since its discussion is a little more complicated, but I will say that it has its uses.  I guess there's no reason to use it if all you care about is making your Chroma immortal, but there's more to Chroma than just being able to play poorly and get away with it.  

vor 26 Minuten schrieb RealPandemonium:

but there's more to Chroma than just being able to play poorly and get away with it.  

No, there really isn't and that is the problem. Chroma has buffs, both to damage and to survivability, and that's basically his whole kit. It's probably one of the most narrow focused skills sets in the whole game. I guess technically you could count his "1" as a "damage ability" and his "4" as CC, but lets be real here. He only really has buffs and when those no longer outperform similar abilities of other warframes that have more to offer then there is little reason to use him apart from maybe liking his deluxe skin.

Edit: Mirage has the same problem. After all the nerfs there is little left that she can still do. Worse yet her buffs only affect herself and they are more or less RNG dependent (what counts as "light" or "dark" is really really wonky in-game)

Edited by ----Fenrir----

7 minutes ago, ----Fenrir---- said:

No, there really isn't and that is the problem. Chroma has buffs, both to damage and to survivability, and that's basically his whole kit. It's probably one of the most narrow focused skills sets in the whole game. I guess technically you could count his "1" as a "damage ability" and his "4" as CC, but lets be real here. He only really has buffs and when those no longer outperform similar abilities of other warframes that have more to offer then there is little reason to use him apart from maybe liking his deluxe skin.

His 1 is a damage ability and his 4 offers both CC and damage.  If you want to boil things down to the "meta" then move on to other options, but don't S#&$ on Chroma's design as a whole just because he was abused for narrow reasons.  Thinking of frames in terms of their design in the abstract is conducive to making the frame feel "complete" and satisfying.  Trying to fit every frame into a narrow role based on ultimate farming or w/e is a great way to overlook this game's strong points and burn out quickly while also providing misguided feedback that dumbs down the game as a whole.  

Edited by RealPandemonium

Gerade eben schrieb RealPandemonium:

His 1 is a damage ability and his 4 offers both CC and damage.  If you want to boil things down to the "meta" then move on to other options

It's not about "meta", it's about levels of usefulness. I mean technically you might count a "toothpick" as a weapon since it's technically possible to kill a person with it... with enough effort that is. Yet when most people think of "weapons", toothpicks are probably not what is in their minds. And as far as warframe damage abilities go, Chroma's 1 is a toothpick. Yes, technically you can damage and even kill enemies with it, it's just a question of effort.

I mean go ahead and solo a sortie defense with it and only with it. I wish you good luck and hope you have a lot of free time^^ 

An interesting idea for Chroma's passive might be to make it so that his abilities become more powerful (10%?) per ally affected by his wards up to a maximum of 40% (4 players) and allies gain resistance (10%?) against Chroma's chosen element. Nothing has to be concrete about the numbers; just a shot in the dark.

Edited by Grand-Dozer

6 hours ago, ----Fenrir---- said:

It's not about "meta", it's about levels of usefulness. I mean technically you might count a "toothpick" as a weapon since it's technically possible to kill a person with it... with enough effort that is. Yet when most people think of "weapons", toothpicks are probably not what is in their minds. And as far as warframe damage abilities go, Chroma's 1 is a toothpick. Yes, technically you can damage and even kill enemies with it, it's just a question of effort.

I mean go ahead and solo a sortie defense with it and only with it. I wish you good luck and hope you have a lot of free time^^ 

"Levels of usefulness" is code for "if it doesn't let me breeze through the game as quickly as possible, I don't need it."

I can agree that Chroma doesn't have the most interesting toolset, especially in terms of Spectral Scream, and that Effigy doesn't always feel good to use, but giving "Rhino is better now" (which is debatable; IMO he always was) as the context for being dissatisfied with him is an indication that intrinsically good design is not your goal here.  

• 1 month later...

I'm pretty new to this game so my opinion might not be as useful, but playing him, I can't but agree with the OP;

not being able to change in-game of element is a huge handicap.

being able to use weapon wouldn't be too much I think.

as for vex armor I don't understand the need of that mechanic, what is the purpose increasing damage for each damage received to health and armor to each damage received to shield?

what if  the spectral scream damage was increasing overtime of it's use, and the weapon damage was increasing with each health damage when effigy if shed off, so the damage part of vex armor would be removed and/or replaced by something defensive

ward are making sense but seams  a little off target, cold/electric are tank oriented and fire/toxin are dps oriented imo they should focus on that aspect.

What if effigy was a toggle instead, that would allow to switch between tank mod(with the armor on) and DPS/support (with the armor shed off)that would allow to adjust other abilities accordingly.

what if a 1st ability was to absorb surrounding element, example world in flame using 1st would allow to absorb the damage when using it and attune yourself to fire energy, and remain that way until you absorb another element.

That would give a more versatile defensive ability and allow to change element in the same time.

well that's all the thoughts that came to my mind, chroma got a kool concept but it seams kindda off set right now, something is missing or broken and it doesn't feel right.

well idn I just gonna keep trying to make sense out of him right now.

10 hours ago, Jeanperson said:

as for vex armor I don't understand the need of that mechanic, what is the purpose increasing damage for each damage received to health and armor to each damage received to shield?

even heared of the saying: "what doesn't kill you make's you stronger"? VA is ment to be a beserker like abilitie, to represent the fury of a dragon, if it get some dmg

ward are making sense but seams  a little off target, cold/electric are tank oriented and fire/toxin are dps oriented imo they should focus on that aspect. 

EW has already focus on some roles, ice is tank mode, electric is dmg focused, toxin is a support with some little dps aura and fire is the alrounder element, it got some cc/dmg by the fire aura, health for tank.

What if effigy was a toggle instead, that would allow to switch between tank mod(with the armor on) and DPS/support (with the armor shed off)that would allow to adjust other abilities accordingly.

we dont need any attack or defence mode on effigy, we only need a comand for "follow" and "stay"(like for syndicate people and eidolon lures)

Moreover please dont any suggestion until you put him on max rang and put some formas on him (play other elements too), by this you'll learn more about his abilities and know how to use him

• 3 weeks later...
En 4/4/2018 a las 7:25, MickThejaguar dijo:

Goals for this post

Overview

don't know if this would be a fix to its breath but i think giving a range buff of around 5m and allowing ability strength to also increase its status chance would help to make it better  

I've noticed since the change that Chroma with over 500% fury on vex armor can't even deal as much damage as a Rhino with a 120% roar boost to damage which makes me think that this "fix" broke him even more because i am thinking that the rework made his vex armor buff only multiply BASE stats and not modified stats which is completely uncool and underwhelming... i REALLY want DE to take another look at him and fix this so that you can use chroma in a party and not get laughed at... it's sad when a Rhinos roar which can be cast and forgotten does more for a squad than a chromas vex armor which you have to be in range of to even get!

Edited by HiroHideki

4 minutes ago, HiroHideki said:

I've noticed since the change that Chroma with over 500% scorn on vex armor can't even deal as much damage as a Rhino with a 120% roar boost to damage which makes me think that this "fix" broke him even more because i am thinking that the rework made his vex armor buff only multiply BASE stats and not modified stats which is completely uncool and underwhelming... i REALLY want DE to take another look at him and fix this so that you can use chroma in a party and not get laughed at... it's sad when a Rhinos roar which can be cast and forgotten does more for a squad than a chromas vex armor which you have to be in range of to even get!

Yeah DE made that ability calculate the weapon's damage before Upgrades instead of After. So his damage is way down now. So it was a Intended change but it was a serious nerf to his damage. I hope DE look at Chroma.

On 2018-06-02 at 8:41 AM, Dark_Chroma said:

even heared of the saying: "what doesn't kill you make's you stronger"? VA is ment to be a beserker like abilitie, to represent the fury of a dragon, if it get some dmg

EW has already focus on some roles, ice is tank mode, electric is dmg focused, toxin is a support with some little dps aura and fire is the alrounder element, it got some cc/dmg by the fire aura, health for tank.

we dont need any attack or defence mode on effigy, we only need a comand for "follow" and "stay"(like for syndicate people and eidolon lures)

Moreover please dont any suggestion until you put him on max rang and put some formas on him (play other elements too), by this you'll learn more about his abilities and know how to use him

first, I understand pretty much the concept of every dragon themed abilities thx to trying to point that out, my point wasn't about the theme but the purpose, is he a tank or not?his kit look to me like a juggernaut or offtank/support purpose.

second, electric does damage only if you receive damage and boost shield so to me it require you to receive damage and increase your defense, so it look to me like a tank element aswell as cold; toxin damage scaling on target max health and the reload speed seams to me like a pvp orientated element with usefulness in boss fight, fire is yes the all around. Also most of his abilities seams to require deep engage to be really use for their fullest, you can stay behind sniping with toxin aura for faster reload but most of your kit won't be useful to help you in that.

Third, there is already a mod in the faction that allow you to move the effigy but I aggree that it should prolly more be include by default; but all that just made me play him as a burst engage melee warframe, running in with 1st, 2nd and 3rd on, shutting 1st to start melee engage and poping 4th if crowd is big enought.

Finally I played all four element before posting that, can't remember if it was maxed out or not tho yet I was mostly only playing that warframe by that time so if he wasn't maxed he is right now, dunno why it would require to have a forma on it to make suggestion tho? dunno why it should require anything but having played him enough to make suggestion and feedback on a warframe or anything, would like you to explain me how a forma on a warframe will change anything of my view about that warframe.

to not stay on such a final note I would just point out that I see each warframe as tool that are meant for a specific purpose, or multiple; so to compare one with each other, is counter productive and can only make, as with many games, that all classes end up being just all the same with different theme and taste.

So my first, for each warframe is to think what are his purposes, what is he meant for is he a saw or a hammer, a bucket or a rope.

so what is the purpose of Chroma:

-require taking damage to buff his VA, or trigger damage of some EW;

-require to be in the mids of the fray for the a EW to be really effective, same for SS and same for effigy, that need to be put in their mids or at least in the front line.

so his purpose is to be a front line, a tank I guess, but to be more in the theme of the dragon I would prolly seam more like a hit and run, skirmisher, like a dragon coming down trashing things but if under fire would just fly off safer to dive back in.

I think that's the purpose of SS 1st, is to be the engaging tool, while effigy is the disengaging tool, 2nd and 3rd are just to do the job once in the fray; well that's how I play him, and mostly melee/tonfa and shotgun.

Edited by Jeanperson

What if as you suggested the first ability would be the ability to switch between the 4 elements color (linking it with the 3 appearance tabs so each one got a set of color by default and you can customize 3 out of the 4 by that means.

and for spectral screem make it a passive that trigger when channeling and holding block, making it consume the channeling value of the weapon equipped, that wouldn't be too much overpower as a passive much like hydroid one imo and will consume anyway energy as a channeling, would require melee equipped and make sense since it's a short cone DoT, also would allow to attack with melee and alternate between block and not.

I think that would still be within the boundary of what the dev intent of chroma and would make it a lil more flexible with his element making him really chromatic.