The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×
The Lotus Eaters: Known Issues ×

Warframe hard locks computer..can't even ctrl+alt+del

MenstrualDeranged

Before I go further, I don't have ANY of the issues stated in the pinned "Diagnosing System Crashes" thread.

At least once or twice a week, out of nowhere, my computer will hard lock while I'm playing Warframe. It seems to happen randomly. Sometimes I'm in a mission. Other times, I can just be idling in my orbiter. I can even be tabbed out of the game trying to type an email and it'll lock (I know it's the game doing it in these instances, because it never does it unless Warframe is running).

The screen is completely frozen, I usually have no sound. I can't ctrl+alt+del, nothing. I have to hit the reset button on my computer. I know it happens to other people in the game because if I'm in a mission when it happens, I usually have the option to rejoin the squad if the mission is still in process. I'll type, "Sorry, computer hard locked," and someone from the squad will say something like, "I hate when the game does that."

I keep hoping that this will get resolved. I really love this game but no other game has ever hard locked my computer quite this often. I'm not going to love it quite as much if I start losing data.

3 hours ago, MenstrualDeranged said:

Before I go further, I don't have ANY of the issues stated in the pinned "Diagnosing System Crashes" thread.

At least once or twice a week, out of nowhere, my computer will hard lock while I'm playing Warframe. It seems to happen randomly. Sometimes I'm in a mission. Other times, I can just be idling in my orbiter. I can even be tabbed out of the game trying to type an email and it'll lock (I know it's the game doing it in these instances, because it never does it unless Warframe is running).

The screen is completely frozen, I usually have no sound. I can't ctrl+alt+del, nothing. I have to hit the reset button on my computer. I know it happens to other people in the game because if I'm in a mission when it happens, I usually have the option to rejoin the squad if the mission is still in process. I'll type, "Sorry, computer hard locked," and someone from the squad will say something like, "I hate when the game does that."

I keep hoping that this will get resolved. I really love this game but no other game has ever hard locked my computer quite this often. I'm not going to love it quite as much if I start losing data.

I am having a very similar issue, only difference is both my screens turn black or another solid color. Audio will keep playing for a few seconds then silence. I have to hard boot my computer. It's extremely random as well, I've had it happen while I was idle on my orbiter, after 2 hours or less than 5 minutes after logging in. Worst part is I don't even have a crash report to submit.

I have a support ticket open but have not received a response yet. All I can provide is the EE.log and the Launcher.log and any details about what I was doing when it crashed. I've fiddled with all sorts of external things to see if they were causing it. No luck. I've reinstalled the game even. Windows doesn't even report any issues other than the unexpected shutdown/restart.

At this point, all I am doing is logging in for the daily tribute and logging out. Hopefully I hear something soon.

Have either of you tried switching your DirectX modes (DX11 disabled, DX10 disabled, etc.)? Or disabling / enabling the 64-bit client? Disable multi-threaded rendering? All of this can be done through the launcher settings, which can be found by clicking on the little cogwheel in the corner of your launcher. You'll also want to make sure that you are running on the latest video drivers. If you're using an Nvidia video card then it will also be worth switching your power settings to "max performance". 

Unfortunately the logs provided don't give us much insight into the culprit. The logs will tell us what the Warframe client is doing, and as far as we can tell the game is behaving as intended. So we are likely to find success in fixing anything on the system that might be conflicting with the client while it is running, such as background applications.

NvidiaPower011.png.390d39264d4f88a9ca1c1312d143634f.png

Edited by [DE]Dmitri

I had tried switching DirectX modes. I had not tried some of the other options. I will see about doing some more troubleshooting tonight. It may be a few days before I know anything though. As stated before, the crashes are inconsistent and I don't have all night to test.

I did notice that new Nvidia drivers were released yesterday. I will try a clean install with those as well. 

I will reply back once I more to share.

Thank you!

vor 20 Stunden schrieb MenstrualDeranged:

The screen is completely frozen, I usually have no sound. I can't ctrl+alt+del, nothing. I have to hit the reset button on my computer. I know it happens to other people in the game because if I'm in a mission when it happens, I usually have the option to rejoin the squad if the mission is still in process.

I noticed the same problem multiple times since update 22.18.0+ and on two different PC-Systems.
I've played maybe 2-3 hours and mostly during heavy fights in the new onslaughts when my screen gets stuck.

No way to Switch to Task Manager for killing warframe process.
Only solution was the reset button or Ctrl+Alt+Del with selection of restart or shutdown.

I may have a possible fix? For my own crashing anyway?

I tried what the further suggestions from @[DE]Dmitri and was still crashing. But, I did think of one other thing I had not tried: disabling SLI. I am running two GTX 970s. After off SLI I was able to play for about 2.5 hours. I don't feel this is a guarantee yet. I will play for a couple more days with it off and see if I continue to be crash free.

Even so, this feels like a temporary fix. I believe Warframe is supposed to support SLI? I don't know how many people are actually using it though...

8 hours ago, Illithar said:

Even so, this feels like a temporary fix. I believe Warframe is supposed to support SLI? I don't know how many people are actually using it though...

Yep, SLI should be working. If it's not we will need to take a look. Thanks for the additional info!

I don't use SLI in any of my both systems and launcher settings were not changed.
The only things that were changed on my systems in last few months was cumulative Windows Updates and Nvidia video card driver.
These changes were a while before the Warframe 22.18.x update and I played without problems, so I guess it's related to this update.
Anyway, I'm trying now with the newest Nvidia driver (397.31 from 25.04.2018).

Open your task manager (Ctrl+Shift+Esc), go to options, select always visible.

Now when it crashes you'll be able to close it, i searched for this since tf2 and warframe were doing that too for some reason and it was getting annoying since i hate having to wait for my computer to restart.

Her computer is hard locking. Her task manager settings aren't really relevant in that scenario. I get what you're saying, but if your PC is locked to the point that it is not taking input, it really doesn't matter what line of priority task manager is set to. The PC is not responding to input. You'll not be able to open task manager in the first place.

::EDIT::

I guess I could provide some more info for this. OP is my wife, and we play this game together. I'm not experiencing the issue, only she is. 

Her system specs are...

Windows 10 x64 / AMD FX8350 / 16GB RAM / Radeon R9 290

Launcher settings...

DX10 is disabled. Everything else is enabled. Her GPU is DX11 compatible so I'd be surprised to find that this was the issue. I can try throwing new video drivers at her card. They don't get updated too infrequently as it is though. I'm sure we must have kicked through a couple of releases since she has been playing. 

As of now per @[DE]Dmitri I'll pull new drivers again. If we experience a lock we'll start going down the list provided. However there are times where its days between a lock so its hard to say how timely our reporting on the issue will be. Thanks for the suggestions regardless.

Edited by Edvon-D-Warguy

I am still experiencing the issue. The severity, and frequency, of it almost seems random. But, I did figure out that my screen going black (or other color) is likely caused by a background program. But the lockup still occurs. Very similar to what OP is reporting. I thought turning off SLI fixed it but I experienced several hard locks over the weekend with it disabled. I had gone a couple days without it happening though. On one instance my game only force minimized and I was able to close it and get back in without my computer freezing. I am not certain what was different that time versus past occurrences that made it behave differently.

I have the same problem as you, I need to hard reset my computer and one time it even broke my drivers. I did everything in the recommended for crash but nothing seams to help. I even reinstalled windows. So it's not a from that and it's not the new nvidia driver either. I disabled everything that could run in the background and nothing work. I don't know if it's just me but when it's been a while that I played the game crash after more time and if I restart it just after a crash and a reset it almost always crash when I get back on a mission

SO, I've been having this for months actually, but with a weird twist: sometimes the game freezes my computer (forcing me to hard reset) in the arsenal screen, where it shouldn't be rendering anything especially challenging. The other place I've noticed where I crash most often is in extraction from a mission before it saves my completion, which is frustrating in a way I'm sure you can imagine.

I've got a Radeon RX 470, but I can't imagine that a GPU compatibility issue would cause a crash on the arsenal screen. The only other game I've ever had this happen with is Nier: Automata, where it crashed once during a cutscene near the end (with the Red Girls talking to each other). I've disabled multi-threaded sampling as the first step in trying to eliminate potential culprits, but none of these options ought to be an issue in the first place with my setup. I crash at least 1-3 times a day at this point. It's very frustrating.

On 2018-04-26 at 1:41 AM, MenstrualDeranged said:

Are you're video drivers up to date 

pls check and be sure that you have the latest drivers 

--- Open task manager before starting warframe again and see the performance

take an note on witch program takes all the memmory .. 

this happend to me with Installshield .. it drained almost 29Gig of my memmory only for rendering 

.. graphics card stops and hangs instant

----- i hope you can do something with this

On 2018-05-09 at 7:53 AM, voyagerwitch said:

SO, I've been having this for months actually, but with a weird twist: sometimes the game freezes my computer (forcing me to hard reset) in the arsenal screen, where it shouldn't be rendering anything especially challenging. The other place I've noticed where I crash most often is in extraction from a mission before it saves my completion, which is frustrating in a way I'm sure you can imagine.

I've got a Radeon RX 470, but I can't imagine that a GPU compatibility issue would cause a crash on the arsenal screen. The only other game I've ever had this happen with is Nier: Automata, where it crashed once during a cutscene near the end (with the Red Girls talking to each other). I've disabled multi-threaded sampling as the first step in trying to eliminate potential culprits, but none of these options ought to be an issue in the first place with my setup. I crash at least 1-3 times a day at this point. It's very frustrating.

Small update, since it's been about a day: I haven't had a single crash since I disabled multi-threaded rendering. Obviously it could just be a fluke, so I'll continue to keep an eye on it, but is there any particular reason that would help anything? Like I said, I think my graphics card is decent enough, and I haven't had this problem with any other games.

EDIT: Since making this post, I've had several instances of the game alone freezing up while trying to load a certain T1 Excavation void fissure. So, I guess I'm going to try something else.

Edited by voyagerwitch