Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Boosting onslaught's arcade feeling without limiting time.

RecordTheFox

So, here's a thing, what's more arcadey than getting kicked out of a game based on a subjective faux difficulty timer? (anything i know but bare with me here)

The answer is Bosses. Now this sounds both good and terrible on first sight, good because it's fun bad because it's a damage sponge in a mode you need to kill quick to survive, my answer to that is, make the efficiency rewards per enemy kill based on the amount of enemies on the map .

Basically put, if there are next to no enemies, each kill will give you alot of efficiency, if there are armies of enemies, not so much, another thing this offers is, another place to put khora parts in, now i'm not saying this should be the only thing that gives you khora (unless the "boss" spawns every two zones case in which yay for less lootpool crowding) but i think i can speak for everyone when i say, dealing with a boss quickly enough can be quite satisfying, and this might even be cause to look over some not so well designed bosses (cough vai hek cough) and give them a proper fight treatment... (or just be lazy and spawn him in his chicken from).

Or as KesslerCoil suggested, assassins instead of bosses!

Edited by RecordTheFox

7 minutes ago, RecordTheFox said:

So, here's a thing, what's more arcadey than getting kicked out of a game based on a subjective faux difficulty timer? (anything i know but bare with me here)

The answer is Bosses. Now this sounds both good and terrible on first sight, good because it's fun bad because it's a damage sponge in a mode you need to kill quick to survive, my answer to that is, make the efficiency rewards per enemy kill based on the amount of enemies on the map .

Basically put, if there are next to no enemies, each kill will give you alot of efficiency, if there are armies of enemies, not so much, another thing this offers is, another place to put khora parts in, now i'm not saying this should be the only thing that gives you khora (unless the "boss" spawns every two zones case in which yay for less lootpool crowding) but i think i can speak for everyone when i say, dealing with a boss quickly enough can be quite satisfying, and this might even be cause to look over some not so well designed bosses (cough vai hek cough) and give them a proper fight treatment... (or just be lazy and spawn him in his chicken from).

I'm going to be a jerk and put this in bullets.

1.) Maps with Less enemies on the FLOOR = More Efficiency per kill. VS Maps with LOTS of enemies = Less efficiency per kill. (simple fix to keep progression up for active players)

2.) BOSSES: Why not? Fight a boss at the end of a big turning point, like Level 10 or 15 and then again at 20 or 25..

I like this idea. I think this idea will be awesome if DE decided to find a way to use it.

The more enemies on a map means you have to kill faster to maintain efficiency, when there are LESS enemies on the floor, each kill allows for a better efficiency return...seems like a good idea to fix some issues with what feels like implied difficulty.

The bosses idea is also a good way to test more hardcore players, because the time is ticking and that thing has to die, but it doesn't go down easy!

I'm going to upvote this.  I hope others can add to it constructively and respectfully.

Thanks!

With current efficiency drain and the certain invulnerability phases some bosses (e.g. most bosses) have this won't work. I'd rather have them open a special conduit where efficiency is less important.

Name me a boss that doesn't have some extra elements to stop us from rushing the boss in under a minute. They're virtually non-existent because the hardcore community asked for it and therefore should require extra work before being implemented in onslaught.

Edited by Quimoth

2 minutes ago, Quimoth said:

With current efficiency drain and the certain invulnerability phases some bosses (e.g. most bosses) have this won't work. I'd rather have them open a special conduit where efficiency is less important.

i also suggested the bosses get a look over to alleviate the very issue you brought up, however if that won't be done, and frankly i'm fairly certain it won't, your suggestion of a "no efficiency" mode would work better, especially if bosses do get put in it.

4 minutes ago, Quimoth said:

Name me a boss that doesn't have some extra elements to stop us from rushing the boss in under a minute. They're virtually non-existent because the hardcore community asked for it and therefore should require extra work before being implemented in onslaught.

I'd assume they'd be more of pseudo-bosses, like Eximi with EHP boosts or something similar.

13 minutes ago, Ruby_Rose_ said:

I'd assume they'd be more of pseudo-bosses, like Eximi with EHP boosts or something similar.

In that case they shouldn't be added, there are already eximus units and they're not that much harder to kill and would merely be a nuisance if they were (because of the effects they come with)

Think the "arcade type" mode DE is talking about is something you play before you head to bed. Or when you have little time.

It's not arcadey it terms of fun fun fun if you know what I mean. 

You can read Rebecca's post before last nights update. Where she talked about what Onslaught to them is. Basically a mode you play for 5 minutes. They don't want you playing one run for 20 minutes plus.

As it stands now that's it. Get to round 8 and struggle like mad after round 8. If you can get to round 8 on Elite. 

57 minutes ago, Donkey___R said:

Think the "arcade type" mode DE is talking about is something you play before you head to bed. Or when you have little time.

It's not arcadey it terms of fun fun fun if you know what I mean. 

You can read Rebecca's post before last nights update. Where she talked about what Onslaught to them is. Basically a mode you play for 5 minutes. They don't want you playing one run for 20 minutes plus.

As it stands now that's it. Get to round 8 and struggle like mad after round 8. If you can get to round 8 on Elite. 

The thing is though that getting to round 8 is about 18ish minutes especially if you're farming for Khora its not gonna be quick 5 minute games so I don't know what they are thinking there.

9 hours ago, Quimoth said:

I'm down for the occasional "bonus" rounds...like in other games...where after so many levels you get a rewarding level....so a conduit that has the ability to either quickly restore your efficiency with kills, such as a DOUBLE efficiency round. Or a round where there are multiple efficiency beacons strewn about in hidden places... allowing for an opportunity to quickly catch back up.

On the BOSSES, you are correct again, the current bosses would not work in their current time gated formats. They would have to be nerfed to give a challenge but not consume as much time to kill....OR....they just introduce a newer beefier, trickier enemy, like the Queens guards, where it requires a set of moves to disable, disarm, and make vulnerable.

The Queens Guards, in a sense are like a type of mini-bosses. They have a time gate attached to them in that you have to use special mechanics to kill them. But they can be dispatched rather quickly if you are on your game.

I would suggest a similar type of enemy to stand in as as BOSS of sorts, not one without a complete damage negation, but rather mechanics that make them harder to take down without a degree of tactic. Imagine a sudden invasion of 20 queen's guards....or just one really mean one that requires a bit more work to take down, facilitated by some new moves we haven't had to deal with yet.

Another idea...what if the "queen's guards" type mini-boss dropped the efficiency beacon after you kill it...totally optional kill, not required, does require more work to kill, but rewards you with like 15-20 efficiency. All the while, the normal enemies are also in place, you just can choose to focus fire on the big baddies that give a bonus...this could extend your possibility for longer duration.

Regardless of my ideas, you've pointed out some very critical issues that need to be considered.

Thanks!

Edited by 2ply

Instead of bosses, I think making use of Assassins would work better.  
Having Stalker, G3 and Zanuka appear every few zones would be a nice change of pace, having them provide greater efficiency for killing them while also giving a semi consistent way to fight them would be a great fit.  
I also think efficiency drain shouldnt go above 5x(instead of 6x), having to fight spawns instead fighting the actual enemy, doesnt feel good.  

EDIT: One last thing, legit can it be required that all your gear is lvl30? I'm sick of people joining with full unranked gear and leeching -_-

Edited by KesslerCOIL
Grammar

7 hours ago, KesslerCOIL said:

Instead of bosses, I think making use of Assassins would work better.  
Having Stalker, G3 and Zanuka appear every few zones would be a nice change of pace, having them provide greater efficiency for killing them while also giving a semi consistent way to fight them would be a great fit.  
I also think efficiency drain shouldnt go above 5x(instead of 6x), having to fight spawns instead fighting the actual enemy, doesnt feel good.  

EDIT: One last thing, legit can it be required that all your gear is lvl30? I'm sick of people joining with full unranked gear and leeching -_-

Uuuh i love that idea a whole lot more, adding that in to the main post!