Dante Unbound: Known Issues ×
Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Low FPS on "high end" PC

-TSA-Vendetta

2 hours ago, -TSA-Vendetta said:

im considering to message them again but that would be the 3rd time any maybe they will bann me from support xD

Yeah... I tried sortie today and it was just unplayable. FPS dropped from 60 to 40-50. Problem is it doesnt even run like 40-50 fps, its really jittery and when the fps starts slowly climbing back its smooth again.

vor 12 Stunden schrieb Leyvonne:

Could this be related to the Win 10 April update that has been causing issues with a lot of games? My husband had similar issues a few months ago and when he rolled back the April update everything was fine again.

or do u mean roll back to before the april update, dont know where to find these updates now

36 minutes ago, -TSA-Vendetta said:

or do u mean roll back to before the april update, dont know where to find these updates now

Yes, I meant he rolled back to a previous Win 10 update. I'm using Win 7 so unfortunately I have no idea how / where to do it on Win 10, but I can ask my husband when he gets home from work.

For some reasons the game is not utilizing given resources properly, especially GPU. Warframe behaves in a very weird way: capping fps to let's say 120 makes my fps fluctuate from like 110 to 117 in orbiter. But then uncapped fps is way over 200 yet still not maxing GPU as it should. Same fps cap thing happens in missions too. I've got 1060 6GB on this machine and it should be a piece of cake for it to handle the game.

Switching to 32 bit mode seems to boost GPU utilization and performance by some degree and at least seems to solve this bizzare fps capping issue. Lowering graphics settings has little to no impact on performance.

As somebody suggested to test different RAM speeds, well, it had no difference. There is no noticeable performance gain or loss no matter if I switch different speed DDR4 RAM kits (2400, 2666, 3000, 3200) or simply use single channel memory instead of dual and vice-versa.

I also tried swapping GPU to 1080 and tried CPU clocks including stock and decent 3.9 GHz OC on my R5 1600 with, again, no noticeable performance gain nor loss. Concerning the temps it was stable 59°C on 1060, 1080 at around 57°C, R5 1600 never came close to even 50°C on stock clocks and barrely hit 56°C with CPU @ 3.9 GHz so no overheating issues at all.

The issue remains and I kind of gave up cuz I ran out of options. Let's cross our fingers and wait for fix which is soonTM(?)

Edited by gicioks

This just happened to me, 2 days ago actually. I have been getting 60 fps normally but I got on one day and when I played in a squad it went down to 15 fps and became unplayable. I tried lowering all of the graphics settings and that only got me up to 25 fps and still looked like a train wreck. When I play solo I get 50 to 60 fps though and my network isn't the problem. My specs are a ryzen 3 2200g, gtx 1050, 8gb of ram, and windows 10. And there has been no thermal throttling, the 1050 stays around 30 to 35 degrees Celsius, and my cpu stays at 40 to 45. And both are around 50 to 60% in task manager.

Am 18.7.2018 um 13:32 schrieb Leyvonne:

Yes, I meant he rolled back to a previous Win 10 update. I'm using Win 7 so unfortunately I have no idea how / where to do it on Win 10, but I can ask my husband when he gets home from work.

pls let me know if u have some information there i didnt manage to roll back to previous versions and would need some help there.

support answered: 

"Hello -TSA-Vendetta,

Thank you for letting us know! I will pass this information along to the rest of the team to look at. Unfortunately we don’t have any further information about this at the moment, but we will be sure to follow up with you if we have any more questions.

You can stay up to date with the latest changes in Warframe by keeping an eye on our patch notes:
Warframe PC Update & Build Notes

Enjoy Warframe!"   - [DE]Nate

funnily enough he said "Enjoy Warframe" hahaha ... sad we cant

11 minutes ago, -TSA-Vendetta said:

pls let me know if u have some information there i didnt manage to roll back to previous versions and would need some help there.

I just asked and he said the roll back has to be done within 10 days of installing the update (which is just idiotic if you ask me).

Am 27.7.2018 um 23:31 schrieb Leyvonne:

I just asked and he said the roll back has to be done within 10 days of installing the update (which is just idiotic if you ask me).

it clearly is yes... but if thats a common issue with win10 wouldnt it be known a bit more in the warframe community ?

I think it is because the problem isn't specific to Warframe so players might not realize the issues could be related to the April update. Ofc your issue might be something completely different, I just noticed the symptoms were very similar to what was going on with my husband's PC and it seems a lot of people (here on forums, steam, reddit etc) having performance issues are using Win 10.

Am 29.7.2018 um 21:46 schrieb Leyvonne:

I think it is because the problem isn't specific to Warframe so players might not realize the issues could be related to the April update. Ofc your issue might be something completely different, I just noticed the symptoms were very similar to what was going on with my husband's PC and it seems a lot of people (here on forums, steam, reddit etc) having performance issues are using Win 10.

hmm i dont know in my definition it is warframe related because no other game has such problems with win10 its because of warframe has some sort of problem with win10 maybe but its still a problem with warframe because every other game developer got it fixed obviously

and sorry but i am seriously upset at this point the problem is here since end march start april and since then i messaged the support but nothing #*!%ing happened i think they just dont care about us and we have to #*!% off and stop playing the game maybe i will come back at releasedate 2035.... sry but i need to be honest at this point it really pisses me off 

I have no idea why cant they atleast respond. They said they are watching these threads. Alot of people have this problem and its been months with no fix. Maybe it cant be fixed, thats why they dont respond. Its just how the game is, it S#&$s itself when there are 4 players. They wouldnt even notice this issue if no one complained about it, makes me wonder if they even play their own game.

On 2018-07-27 at 11:20 PM, -TSA-Vendetta said:

support answered: 

"Hello -TSA-Vendetta,

Thank you for letting us know! I will pass this information along to the rest of the team to look at. Unfortunately we don’t have any further information about this at the moment, but we will be sure to follow up with you if we have any more questions.

You can stay up to date with the latest changes in Warframe by keeping an eye on our patch notes:
Warframe PC Update & Build Notes

Enjoy Warframe!"   - [DE]Nate

funnily enough he said "Enjoy Warframe" hahaha ... sad we cant

Yes, because of the unbearable 60 - 130 fps 🙄

Just reinstall windows. Usually solves all the issues...

Edited by striker890

Ill chime in here..

i7-4770k
32gb ram
nvidia 1080GTX
Game installed on SATA SSD

I also get these occasional stutters/jitters in the game, and when they happen they will persist until game is restarted. I have seen no correlation between playing solo or public. 
Nor have i seen any correlation between the length of sessions.

FPS in game seems to drop a bit, the problem is the jittery game performance. Its hard to explain but it seems like the game itself draws new frames slower even tho my FPS usually is above 100. Result can be pretty unplayable. 

It doesnt seem to have anything to do with bottlenecks, i have looked at ram (game hardly uses more than about 1gb..), cpu and gpu and they are all way below 100%, often below 50%.
Also checked temps considering its been so hot this summer and i initially thought it was throttling, but temps are good (<60c) on both CPU and GPU.

When it happens (usually once or twice per each 5 hour game session) I just need to restart the game and it will be fine.
Will post again if i can figure out more.

Edited by nem-no

Am 4.8.2018 um 20:42 schrieb striker890:

Yes, because of the unbearable 60 - 130 fps 🙄

Just reinstall windows. Usually solves all the issues...

i have over 60 fps for about 30-60 sec after that it falls down to around 50 depending on the duration of the mission down to 20-30 fps and sometimes even a gamefreeze at the end so i cant enjoy the game that way in addiditon to that u would think the performance should be better on a 2000€ system and i already reset my pc 2 times and rolled back to older win10 builds and deinstalled all newer updates and S#&amp;&#036; but it took me so much time to get everything back all the time again i dont want to waste my time anymore because DE refuses to answer and/or patch their S#&amp;&#036; !!!!

Am 5.8.2018 um 08:18 schrieb nem-no:

Ill chime in here..

i7-4770k
32gb ram
nvidia 1080GTX
Game installed on SATA SSD

I also get these occasional stutters/jitters in the game, and when they happen they will persist until game is restarted. I have seen no correlation between playing solo or public. 
Nor have i seen any correlation between the length of sessions.

FPS in game seems to drop a bit, the problem is the jittery game performance. Its hard to explain but it seems like the game itself draws new frames slower even tho my FPS usually is above 100. Result can be pretty unplayable. 

It doesnt seem to have anything to do with bottlenecks, i have looked at ram (game hardly uses more than about 1gb..), cpu and gpu and they are all way below 100%, often below 50%.
Also checked temps considering its been so hot this summer and i initially thought it was throttling, but temps are good (<60c) on both CPU and GPU.

When it happens (usually once or twice per each 5 hour game session) I just need to restart the game and it will be fine.
Will post again if i can figure out more.

sounds very different to my issue unfortunatly, my 1070ti can handle up to 200 if not higher fps depending on the situation and when im in quad i join witch such high fps but after 30sec i see a significant decrease and after about 1min im down to 70fps over the course of the mission it keeps decreasing but way slower at this point most of the time i can hold it at 40-50 fps 

my cpu (i7-4790k) should do the job 

as well the 16GB RAM should do it because warframe doesnt use more than 1-2 GB as u said already 

and the gpu (1070ti) is probably the strongest part and is mostly at 20-25% usage 

i controlled the temperature pver msi afterburner and nothing is to bad there everything in 50-60°C range even on warm days where i have over 30 up to 40 °C in this room.

I even tried to change the location of the pc into a colder room but nothing changed...

• 2 weeks later...

So months have passed and the issue still persists. I find it very frustrating.

There was this black squares on corpses graphical bug/glitch - fixed in weeks if not days. It's the end of August already and the performance issue threads keep popping up on WF forums.

Meanwhile we get this unneccessary content that no one really asked for. Good example is the Frame Fighter minigame. I mean it's cool but developers need to invest time and resources in it then finding and fixing its bugs instead of figuring out the priorities, putting some things aside and solving some major issues with the game. We're talking about the awful performance issue and even if the game has amazing content the poor performance makes everything fall flat.

I'm not saying that the content they push out is garbage, I love the game, spent over 4000 hours on it and considerably stupid amout of money.
I never had any major or long term issues with the game but this awful performance for the past months pretty much kills it for me because my favourite content is nearly unplayable (endless endurance runs). I constantly get "scinematic" 30 fps in squads while it actually feels like the half of it.

Plains are way different story. Even while running solo I have my fps tanked for no clear reasons sometimes. Running bounties or Eidolon/Tridolon hunts is basically constant struggle below 60fps except for first minute or two, at first it seems to run flawlessly but then a handful of enemies appear aaaand I'm back to "scinematic framerate". For some reasons Warframe really likes 2 threads and half of another 2 threads on my R5 1600, so yeah... 

Then we have this big Fortuna update which runs in the same manner as PoE but in way bigger scale + the space battles, oh boy.

I am very surprised and dissapointed on how this problem isn't adressed yet for this long.

Edited by gicioks

On 2018-08-22 at 2:17 PM, gicioks said:

There was this black squares on corpses graphical bug/glitch - fixed in weeks if not days. It's the end of August already and the performance issue threads keep popping up on WF forums.

The black squares bug was very easy for us to reproduce internally, which allowed us to solve the issue in a timely manner.

On 2018-08-22 at 2:17 PM, gicioks said:

Meanwhile we get this unneccessary content that no one really asked for. Good example is the Frame Fighter minigame. I mean it's cool but developers need to invest time and resources in it then finding and fixing its bugs instead of figuring out the priorities, putting some things aside and solving some major issues with the game. We're talking about the awful performance issue and even if the game has amazing content the poor performance makes everything fall flat.

The devs responsible for content such as Frame Fighter are not typically involved with engine performance. There are many people who work on Warframe, which is why we are able to release new content while also working to improve what already exists.

---

With that said, we have been following these threads and are aware of the issues that players have been reporting, however we have yet to see these issues on a consistent basis using our machines -- both low end and high end specs. That does not mean we have stopped trying, but that we are still trying to track down the culprit.

There have been a number of reports that this could be caused by a Windows update from a few months ago (the April 2018 Update). If anyone has any evidence of this then it would be greatly appreciated. Considering the inconsistency of this issue we are leaning towards it possibly being the result of something software related, such as an OS or driver update, however we have yet to confirm. This is what we are currently in the process of investigating.

At this time, these would be our recommendations:

• If Windows is partly to blame, then there are two things you can try before rolling back the OS version:

Turn off the Game Bar
To turn off the new features that Game bar equips, follow below steps:

1. Hold and Press the Windows shortcut keys Win + I to open Windows Settings.
  2. Choose Gaming -> Game Bar.
  3. Toggle the “ON” switch under the “Record game clips, screenshots, and broadcast using Game bar” to “Off”.
  4. Uncheck the “Show game bar when I play full-screen games Microsoft has verified” checkbox.

Turn off the Game DVR
To disable the Game DVR in the Xbox app to fix Windows 10 game lagging and lower FPS malfunction after Creators Update, below is how.

1. Click the Start button, and then type Xbox to open it.
  2. Go to Settings -> Game DVR.
  3. Ensure the “Take screenshots using Game DVR” selection is “Off”.

Also,

• - Verify and optimize your Download Cache (via. the Warframe launcher settings)
  • - Update all of your drivers. (especially GPU)
  • - Make sure you are not running any unnecessary background processes while playing Warframe. (This includes Razer, Discord, YouTube, etc.)

---

If all else fails, and you're willing to try rolling back to a previous version of Windows, then you can do that by following these steps:

1. Press Win + I to open Settings.
  2. Click Update & Security > Recovery > Advanced startup > Restart now > Troubleshoot.
  3. Choose the Go back to the previous build option.

This by no means an attempt to pass the buck. We are just trying to get a better idea of what could be causing these issues, so the more comparisons that are done the better chance we have of tracking it down. Thanks!

Edited by [DE]Dmitri

It's not related to win 10 april update.

I'm using Windows 7 pro and i get the drop too. It's been months.

I finally found a solution : I don't play anymore and i'm never going to buy anything from Warframe...until the issue is resolved.

W7 pro  - i7-4970k (4.6Ghz)  - MSI GTX1070 - 16GB ram - SSD 850 Samsung.