The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Umbra is bad design.

swodaem

Just now, LupisV0lk said:

How would it benefit the rest of the 99%?

We can use all the other skins, which in most cases look better than the base skins, Swordy McKeyFace Prime included.

When Ash, Loki, Ember, Mag and the rest of the vanilla frames or whoever they decide to grant the Umbral treatment get Umbral variants people will want to use their prime cosmetics should they own the prime version. Something looking better is subjective, so the best thing to do is to grant plenty of options.

Just now, Pent_ said:

When Ash, Loki, Ember, Mag and the rest of the vanilla frames or whoever they decide to grant the Umbral treatment get Umbral variants people will want to use their prime cosmetics should they own the prime version. Something looking better is subjective, so the best thing to do is to grant plenty of options.

Options...Well there we go. I can dig that.

The thing for me is, Excal Umbra is different enough for me that I still haven't deleted my original Excal. He is a side grade for me. Mainly because of his Umbra Polarities. I'm also anticipating that the Umbra frames will slowly have tweaked versions of existing Frames' specials, like how Excal Umbra has Radial Howl instead of Radial Blind. Remember; Excal Prime only came out with fancy face features; extra rules and detail tweaks were added by later primes. By the time we get to Mirage Umbra, Umbra frames may very well be a completely different thing to Primes.

As it stands, Primes I see are the "end game customizable" versions, while Umbras are your "endgame pre-builts". The only ones who got the short stick are the stock warframes, but what else is new? 

How would it benefit the rest of the 99%?

We can use all the other skins, which in most cases look better than the base skins, Swordy McKeyFace Prime included.

When Nova, Frost, anything Umbra comes out, wouldn't it be nice to have extra customization? What if you get Limbo Umbra and you just really love that Limbo Prime helmet. I really do not see how there is any downside to customization. It seems everyone who does not want this just wants to give Founders a hard time for a very reasonable request in my eyes.

Threads like these and blatant disrespect such as your comments is why we, this community, can't have nice things. Stop thinking of Founders vs non-Founders. Think of players. One group of players who will all appreciate when they look out for one another. I guess I am asking too much from people to expect collaboration on a topic everyone should enjoy: customization.

2 minutes ago, LupisV0lk said:

I'd argue that some have and others have been using the veil of that to push something more sinister.

But i've seen the light all is well.

Your conspiracy is irrelevant as many players, including myself, have been preaching exactly what @Pent_ just told you over the course of a few days in multiple threads.

Edited by --Q--Voltage

12 minutes ago, Pent_ said:

Remember that before Umbra came out, Excal was not that much stronger than the normal variant. They gave Excal a pity buff that didn't really fix the problem, just exacerbate it. I'd be fine with Umbra having better stats if he wasn't the exact same as any other Excal Variant. My problem is in the lazy design, not the fact that he's better. I wanted new gameplay to fool around with, not a straight buff, and I think a lot of people agree with that sentiment. However, it seems any time anyone with a founder's badge tries to raise this point we're called scum and treated like S#&$. It's disheartening and it hurts. It's a S#&$ty thing to deal with. Despite my disdain for Warframe lately I have a lot of fond memories of this place and little by little Warframe is less of a fun game to reminisce on and more of a place I don't feel welcome because I spent money on this game at an opportune time it seems.

What variant you mean prime that's reserved for founders? Seems you still can't understand what I'm trying to say. Non founders don't want a different Excalibur. If they want to make it different, make a new warframe or whatsoever. What non founders want, is a replacement for Excalibur Prime, a direct more powerful variant, a "prime", and we don't need no new gimmicks. Now we don't even care about getting for your prime anymore so please just leave it as it is.

Edited by Marvelous_A

1 minute ago, --Q--Voltage said:

When Nova, Frost, anything Umbra comes out, wouldn't it be nice to have extra customization? What if you get Limbo Umbra and you just really love that Limbo Prime helmet. I really do not see how there is any downside to customization. It seems everyone who does not want this just wants to give Founders a hard time for a very reasonable request in my eyes.

I fully agree with that.

1 minute ago, --Q--Voltage said:

Threads like these and blatant disrespect such as your comments is why we, this community, can't have nice things. Stop thinking of Founders vs non-Founders. Think of players. One group of players who will all appreciate when they look out for one another. I guess I am asking too much from people to expect collaboration on a topic everyone should enjoy: customization.

If it wasn't for that fact that the offending threads have been deleted, i'd show you that it's been a two way street and you founders have conducted yourselves in some disgusting manners as long with the rest of us.

I'd argue that some have and others have been using the veil of that to push something more sinister.

But i've seen the light all is well.

All is certainly not well. You don't get to say the things you've said and suddenly everything is fine. You also seem to think that any player can push anything. We have no connection with DE, we don't have any say in anything. Even if there are founders who explicitly say "I'm upset that Umbra is basically Excal Prime and I no longer feel special." it's not like they have any power to do anything about it other than voice their disdain. However, your extreme disrespect, hostility, and hateful comments are, as I've said, disgusting. You need to take a look at how you interact with others, because the things you've said are far from okay. It is a virtual item in a game. That is no reason to insult people.

Just now, Marvelous_A said:

What variant you mean prime that's reserved for founders? Seems you still can't understand what I'm trying to say. Non founders don't want a different Excalibur. If they want to make it different, make a new warframe or whatsoever. What non founders want, is a replacement for Excalibur Prime, a direct powerful, and we don't need no new gimmicks. Now we don't even care about getting for your prime anymore so please just leave it as it is.

There should be no replacement for excalibur prime ever.

7 minutes ago, LupisV0lk said:

If it wasn't for that fact that the offending threads have been deleted, i'd show you that it's been a two way street and you founders have conducted yourselves in some disgusting manners as long with the rest of us.

I am not a Founder, and I started playing in 2015. I am just a reasonable player with an open mind and the vision to see good consistency for future updates. Sorry for not jumping on the anti-Founder bandwagon.

Edited by --Q--Voltage

The way I see it people will complain no matter what.

Umbra power creep -->> Complaints about making other Excalibur variants less useful

Umbra lackluster -->> Complaints about making a variant of Excalibur that is useless

Umbra is too different -->> Complaints that it's not even an Excalibur variant, just a new frame

Umbra is the same just new look-->> Complaints that it's just a skin

3 hours ago, (XB1)PredakingXYT said:

Umbra power creep -->> Complaints about making other Excalibur variants less useful

Umbra lackluster -->> Complaints about making a variant of Excalibur that is useless

Umbra is too different -->> Complaints that it's not even an Excalibur variant, just a new frame

There is no way DE could have brought him to global in a way that would appease everyone, yes, even if the wait for him was just 3 days instead of 3 years.

3 minutes ago, (XB1)PredakingXYT said:

That's why DE chose to take the first route. 

I'm not trying to bash founders or something but if they take the first route only founders who don't like how Excalibur Prime is not the best Excalibur anymore will complain while in the rest 3 routes they will take backlash from the whole community. And of course some founders won't.

Edited by Marvelous_A

1 minute ago, Marvelous_A said:

That's why DE chose to take the first route. 

I'm not trying to bash founders or something but if they take the first route only founders who don't like how Excalibur Prime is not the best Excalibur anymore will complain while in the rest 3 routes they will take backlash from the whole community. And of course some founders won't.

I don't argue with the logic, but I do think a lot of the backlash could have been lessened had they just allowed prime cosmetics to be added to Umbral frames.

29 minutes ago, Pent_ said:

I rarely play this game anymore because of how bad the design choices have become

Tbh, bad decisions started back when DE was so desperate that had no faith on themselves and decided to offer an exclusive deal that would never ever be offered again since they didn't expect their game to last as long as it has lasted now, let alone expected said decision to impact their community in the way it's doing it right now.

Edited by ----Legacy----

4 minutes ago, (XB1)PredakingXYT said:

This.

This is correct.

Unfortunately, people don't realize it or just don't care.

That is a completely fallacious statement. There are many ways they could have released umbra and satisfied the majority of people.

Edited by swodaem

3 minutes ago, ----Legacy---- said:

Tbh, bad decisions started back when DE was so desperate that had no faith on themselves and decided to offer an exclusive deal that would never ever be offered again since they didn't expect their game to last as long as it has lasted now.

There is nothing wrong with using an exclusive package to fund a project. It was very smart in my opinion and it helped shape what we have today. What you call desperate is what I call brilliant. You are assuming that removing the founders package with some smaller adjustments would net the same result of 5 years of development. I disagree on that heavily. Many players have contributed to the success of this game and it all started with Founders and the first platinum purchases.

Edited by --Q--Voltage

3 hours ago, (XB1)PredakingXYT said:

This.

This is correct.

Unfortunately, people don't realize it or just don't care.

Bag of mixed opinions I'm sure, but I'm also positive most realized this was inevitable. Though, I don't find that to be a reason to simply not say anything at all. I'm of the opinion that Excalibur Umbra's design implications can only lead to worse situations when more Umbra frames are introduced. I also would not oppose in the slightest if he ends up being the only Umbra in existence, but I know a lot of people want to have them keep coming.

Regardless of how the next ones are treated, I just hope they're not frequent.

Edited by LazerSkink