The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

What happened to Limbo?

TwiceDead

Question

Been gone for a while, figured I'd check out how this game is doing nowadays (really good by the looks of it). 

Seems Limbo's been altered some. I remember Banish being a single-target ability, or if modded for it became a radial ability. Now it's apparently AoE, and I can't re-cast it to bring the enemies I banish out of it because it has a cooldown. I can't seem to banish myself either as Rift Walk is gone. Cataclysm is still there... Rift-Surge is now CC to be used in conjunction with it. I have no idea what to make of stasis. Cast 1 then cast 2? Or cast 4 and cast 2? 

Did this improve him? I'm not seeing the improvements immediately, but I haven't really played around with these changes yet. They confused me more than anything else. 

Edited by TwiceDead

8 answers to this question

Banish is an AoE. Enemies have to be in same plane with Limbo in order to be banished from one dimension to other.

Stasis makes enemies freeze in time while banished or in Cataclysm.

Rift Surge does things :d

Cataclysm is still same.

Limbo can switch between planes while rolling. He has his special dash ability with no cost.

Edited by Aeon94

His 1 is AOE, but it's not on cooldown. What it does now is pushes enemies into the opposite plane that you're in. So if you're out of the Rift, casting Banish will push them into the Rift. In order to push them back out of the Rift, you have to be in the Rift when you cast it again.

His old 2 has been rotated from a castable ability to taking the place of his roll animation. Rolling will make him dash in and out of the Rift at will, at no casting cost, and with no duration tied to it. You can stay in there for as long as you like.

Stasis freezes all enemies that are in the Rift, whether it's through Banish or Cataclysm doesn't matter. You want to have it active at all times. Cast 2, cast 4, and pick apart all the frozen enemies inside the Cataclysm, or dash out of the Rift, Banish targets, dash back into the Rift and deal with that small frozen group almost like you did back with his original kit.

Personally, I don't use Rift Surge, but I imagine it has it's uses.

Also, rule of thumb. You never want to be inside his Cataclysm either when Stasis or Cataclysm ends. Keep an eye on your timers and position yourself in cover so you can recast without giving enemies a clear shot at you while you do so.

In a nutshell:

• Riftwalk is now Limbo's passive; he can enter and exit the rift via rolling. He also leaves behind a little portal for other players to enter the rift as well.
  • Banish now has a conal AoE (sadly there's no single-target option). Limbo also needs to be on the same plane as his target to banish/unbanish them.
  • Limbo has a new 2nd ability, Stasis, which freezes enemies within the rift, as well as their projectile attacks. Can be combined with Cataclysm to completely lock down a massive area.
  • Rift Surge and Cataclysm are unchanged as far as I can remember.

It would definitely be a good idea to check the Wiki for more details though, but that's about the gist of it.

He became very, very powerful.

Ok, that unconstructive one-liner aside.

Self banish, as said by quite a few people, is now tied to rolling. You'll do an elegant stride into or out of the rift, and leave behind a little portal to the rift when entering which can be useful for allies, but is more usually a nuisance (since you can't interact with anything if the portal's over it). This takes a bit of getting used to, but is nice since you don't need to spend energy to enter the rift anymore.

Banish is now an AoE. To balance it, it no longer brings affects enemies on the plane opposite to you. It's a literal Banish now - it banishes things from your current plane to the other. It's useful as a smaller-scale rift effect, and is good for energy regeneration, as it's cheaper than other options to bring enemies in, allowing you to more effectively benefit from his passive.

Stasis is his CC ability. It stops time, plain and simple. Enemies cannot move, or if they're bosses, cannot shoot properly as their bullets are not bosses and stop in time. They can still melee you though. You can still shoot though, which makes Limbo exceedingly powerful with the right setup. Best used when large numbers of enemies are in the rift, or a dangerous target is. It's duration is pretty short after some changes though, so make sure it's off until you want it, which may be all the time in some scenarios. It's also a universal effect across the rift - activating stasis from the other side of the room will stop time inside your cataclsym

Rift surge is kinda useful. It's got a very niche role - extending existing rift interactions. It will cause affected enemies leaving the rift to emit a radial banish, which has a decent range. This banish affects them too, keeping them rift-bound. Want to pull a target that just wandered up whilst you were dealing with another group in but don't want to use cataclysm/already have one up? Surge and banish. Want to put enemies bouncing in and out of the rift on the edge of a stasis cataclysm? A well timed surge can help with that. Just need to keep these people in a little longer outside of cataclysm? Surge 'em. Rift Surge gains a lot of power when combined with its augment which is the biggest raw damage buff in the game if you play your cards right. 

zFyHOHC.jpg

You thought I was joking? The next contender, Chroma, maxes at 900%, and that's with a large investment. I did this off a no-forma build of Limbo Prime... and Elite Sanctuary Onslaught where a LOT of enemies spawn. Actual mileage will differ, but Sorties have still provided 1000-2000% damage buffs fairly often. And lower content only warrants that kind of power on rare occasions. Still, when you need it, you'll be glad to have it.

Cataclysm's use is simple and unchanged - bring an area into the rift. This has two main roles - bring an area with a lot of enemies either coming or in that area, or bring the defence objective into the rift. Either way, it's damage is not very useful, so as powerful as this ability is, it's very simple. Recommended to use stasis first so enemies are frozen immediately. Stasis has half the duration of Cataclsym.

My personal recommendation? A balance of Range and Power Strength. Too much range can annoy teammates since a max-range cataclysm's larger than affinity range and prevents enemies from getting close enough. And Nullifiers can seriously ruin your day too with a lot of range - more area for them to affect and more area to search to be rid of them. Too little range and you can't use the rift, plain and simple. The strength can be swapped out for survivability if you want, but I like it because I can equip Rift Torrent, which gives me more versatility. If I need to play defensive, I can do that, but I can use my powers aggressively as well, even at higher levels. I find this build a fun one, since I can use more of my powers and be more useful in more situations.

Read through all the replies and just wanted to say my thanks. I think I grasp the changes roughly now, just gotta play around with them till I get a proper sense of em. I appreciate all the answers!

Edited by TwiceDead