Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

The Umbral Forge

10-08

The Tenno have been searching, scouring the solar system & picking through the decaying remains of a dead empire. All for the hope of finding their dear departed space-mum. Ballas went to great lengths to conceal his epic works, however nothing escapes the Tenno... Nothing. Buried deep within Excalibur Umbra's fractured memories lies the location of the Umbral Forge, the device Ballas used to convert "lesser" warframes into their umbral form and the Tenno aim to make it their own!

Four squad mates, 30 minutes survival against waves of Sentients and Eidolons defending the Umbral Forge in their non-primed frames to earn an umber polarity slot and make their frames into Umbral variants. I would think a maximum of 3 umber polarity slots achievable with each one gained reverting the frame to rank 0 (same as a forma use) with the third slot gained making the frame "Umbral" potentially gaining changes to health, armor, shields, energy, move speed and the passive we all love, active frame in operator mode!

Personally I would love something along these lines, there are so many frames I would love to install umbra mods on but without matching polarities it is but a pipe dream 😢 Not to mention I think something like this would just be hella fun, fighting eidolons is fun 'n' all, but everyone is doing it for the arcanes so they wanna just smash out as many as they can in 50 minutes so more or less there is 1 meta everyone uses to accomplish this, and since people would want to "Umbrafy" all their favorite frames, this would force people to fight them with different combinations and instead of hunting the eidolons, the eidolons would be coming for us! and just change the feel of things. Also everyone would have a reason to hang on to all their regular frames when they get a primed variant instead!

I think this would be fantastic but it might just be me, what do you guys all think?

I like the idea of having to go through a really tough and long, special mission in order to get an umbral mod polarity, or umbral forma.

I just really dislike the idea of being able to make every warframe and weapon super powerful with all the umbral mods with minimal effort.

1 minute ago, HerpDerpy said:

I like the idea of having to go through a really tough and long, special mission in order to get an umbral mod polarity, or umbral forma.

I just really dislike the idea of being able to make every warframe and weapon super powerful with all the umbral mods with minimal effort.

Hey thanks for the reply! well I don't think the additional stats would be that extreme and it could be that some stats for certain frames actually get reduced, the main part would be the addition of umbra polarity slots. and maybe aesthetic changes to the frame. Also it would be a lot of work, because between each run you would need to re-level your frame to 30 to have another go, and it would be geared toward end game difficulty and with everybody trying to umbrafy different frames so success wouldn't be guaranteed. I'm not sure if weapons would work with this but if it id it would be melee only as the "sacrificial" mods only exist for melee at this stage.

personally I reckon DE will probably just make an Umbra Adapter. functions like an Exilus Adapter, but instead of unlocking your Exilus slot it lets you put Umbra Polarity on any slot. make them as rare as Catalysts and boom, you've got something that gives players incentive to play with minimal effort.

3 minutes ago, (PS4)robotwars7 said:

personally I reckon DE will probably just make an Umbra Adapter. functions like an Exilus Adapter, but instead of unlocking your Exilus slot it lets you put Umbra Polarity on any slot. make them as rare as Catalysts and boom, you've got something that gives players incentive to play with minimal effort.

Hey thanks for reply! I don't know if I would like that option, I think it would be way more fun and get people more excited to have to work for their Umbra's and as I stated I would love to fight eidolons outside of the meta team build. I think it would be kinda lame to have everyone buying umbra adapters, I suppose it would create a new market for plat which is good for DE but I figured this for more end game content and umbra adapters would just make people have umbra frames pretty much from the beginning.

27 minutes ago, HerpDerpy said:

Excal Umbra (or other umbral frames) being the only ones with umbral polarities, I can totally accept. I would be happy though, if there was SOME way to add that polarity but what really rustles my jimmies is that sacrificial pressure is potato quality.

I can dig this idea....yet I would prefer it to be something where it has to be a new Frame with no Forma placed in them that can get the Umbral polarity once you do some quest/journey with it. A baptism of sorts.

This way, you prove it is the Frame that is worthy of being imbued with this new step forward and not because it had 8 Forma already on it to give it the ease of the fight. Gives a reason for players to use those extra parts we all have laying around being sold for credits. 

Maybe only have room for a certain amount of Frames that could be Umbraized...which would fall in line with the "not every Frame will have an Umbra" prophecy we were told. Link it to MR? Every 5/10 MR gives an additional Umbra slot (Umbra Excal being free slot)?

Cheers

2 minutes ago, (XB1)DShinShoryuken said:

I can dig this idea....yet I would prefer it to be something where it has to be a new Frame with no Forma placed in them that can get the Umbral polarity once you do some quest/journey with it. A baptism of sorts.

This way, you prove it is the Frame that is worthy of being imbued with this new step forward and not because it had 8 Forma already on it to give it the ease of the fight. Gives a reason for players to use those extra parts we all have laying around being sold for credits. 

Maybe only have room for a certain amount of Frames that could be Umbraized...which would fall in line with the "not every Frame will have an Umbra" prophecy we were told. Link it to MR? Every 5/10 MR gives an additional Umbra slot (Umbra Excal being free slot)?

Cheers

Thanks for your input! I think the idea of using a unformad no reactor frame to do something of a difficult level would be pretty unique and cool, but the idea i had for this was to make some of those normie frames we've had rotting in storage become useful again, i got a dozen formad and reactor installed normies that I never use anymore and I'd like to have something that could get me excited to use them again and not waste all that forma and reactors 😛

I think as a minimum a player would have to complete "the sacrifice" in order to access the Umbral Forge which comes with some MR requirements in the way of other quest prerequisites but the idea of a limit to how many umbral frames in a players arsenal is actually a great idea! with future sentient related content have the umbra mods "Tau resist" stat being nearly essential to surviving them and then having limit to the amount of umbral frames one can acquire would be a great way to give individual players a feeling of uniqueness. The only downside I see to this is if such content got to the point where there was a distinct meta to accomplish similar to the current eidolon hunt system where nearly every party doing it is just chroma volt trinity and harrow/oberon, personally I feel this is a negative thing, and if everyone ended up only umbrafying 4 specific frames for said content I'd feel sad about that. Also I think if it were possible to Umbrafy frames they would be like potato chips, I could never stop at just one 😛