Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

[Updated] Feelings On The Difficulty Of Operation Gate Crash *09/23/14*

2ply

29fysqv.jpg

2ueibl5.jpg

First Impressions in the spoiler:

Once you get your 15 runs...Difficulty seems to cap...if you want in on Clan Leaderboards...

sy2hjt.jpg

On the bright side, the good aspects are: creativity behind the idea, the difficulty "concept"...and who doesn't love all the easy Vault mods and other goodies in the Grineer boxes?

Sadly...if you want your clan to rank on the leaderboards...MAKE SOME COFFEE...drink some Redbull...Grab your old faithful poop bucket and pee bottle!

Then call in sick from work for a week...

Because the difficulty curve feels like it just levels out beyond 25+ runs...and you are left to mindlessly grind away for days on end with no increase in challenge to slow the masses of individuals who have nothing but time to put into such a task. 

It makes it hard to push your clan to do something so blandly repetitive.

But kudos for the progression in a great direction for more content. We all appreciate that.

In short,

Thanks DE for something new to do, Applause to you for the work that went into this orchestration!

But...me thinks dangling the potential for trophies and leaderboard swag was pushing it for such a grind

(we had this talk in the past...)

Updated Feelings: 09/23/14

So after playing through the event further, it became clear to me that your health and warframe powers diminished to a point then stopped decreasing.

The enemy levels from my 42 runs seemed to cap at 52. 

And your weapons eventually do No damage at all.

Many have complained that this is "artifical difficulty", I feel that difficulty is difficulty, in the early stages of a Tenno's career not having the right mods and ultra powerful weapons can make the game seem much more difficult by nature, and in fact it is. 

So difficulty is difficulty in my opinion.

I will admit I have had fun working with groups the higher up in levels I've gone, and this is only because I've had to rethink the way I play the game, becoming more and more utility and support.

The ultra long pillow fight battles I've endured with the sisters as my weapons become obsolete has made this event interesting to be generous.

I would like to see this event mechanic with the diminishing returns put into play as a regular mission type that you can do on a weekly basis with increasing rewards as you become less effective but it would ONLY be worth it if the rewards scaled up as your Tenno scales down. 

I still have some issues with this as an event and I'll list them neatly below before I conclude this update.

1.) It doesn't make sense that our weapons get weaker--Tenno abilities sure, weapons are mechanical and shouldn't be effected by the exposure points.

2.) This event is still open for alt account exploitation, you don't believe me? Simply explained, alt accounts that are not even a part of a clan can be used to carry people to higher levels being the damage dealers, so if you created alts in the past to exploit previous events those alts can be used to exploit this event without needing to be in the clan your fighting for, thus rendering the scores questionable.

3.) The event is easily survivable with Valkyr (surprise) with no effort and really any frame for that matter as long as you have a high energy pool, quick thinking mod and a rage mod...with enough energy plates you can face tank everything indefinitely, so the only thing that makes it difficult is the weapon damage nerf which I've stated doesn't make sense.

4.) Its still a time sink that doesn't actually push you up against the wall in terms of increasing challenge. Leaderboard scores and trophies are simply rewarding those who have the most time to dedicate to the grind. Given a grind is expected in all events where a leaderboard is kept but in the past we have seen events that reward players for their skill, strategic approach and ingenuity allowing for scores to peak based off proper use of quality and quantity, this one seems to lean more on rewards based solely off quantity which is meh.

In conclusion:

The event mechanics are charming to say the least, I enjoy the idea and would like to see it advanced into a game mode with really good rewards that increase the more time you put into it on a weekly basis, kind of like a week long invasion where you get daily goodies for your continued efforts, I don't like that it is a sanctioned event with leaderboard bragging rights and trophy swag, because I feel that the only thing it rewards is those with the most free time to spend in game, and the grind just isn't rewarding or enjoyable enough.

I do think that with each new event, we've seen forward progression in a good direction. And with each event we've found areas that could be improved. With the last event Arctic Front, we had a great exercise in teamwork and skill but the time for the energy carriers to spawn became longer and longer turning into a boring time sync at times, almost felt like they were purposely handicapping progression for the sake of time. With this event, we have the weapon damage diminishing, and that feeling like a band-aid approach to fix underlying issues with the fact that it was just too easy.

We're moving forward with each event, with each instance providing us with better security against exploits and such, this event was nearly flawless in that regard aside from the looming alt account buffering that is ever present. I have to again applaud DE on their efforts, and I have faith that in time more good things will come of this.   

Edited by 2ply

Remember that not everyone is a weapon wielding god, some people do have a slightly harder time than most with the game.

Just remember us mere mortals that need a group while you're soloing the new event with minimal shields and health. 

Dont think OP is talking about how "easy" the event is and how "godly" he is ... But on the second part of the event i agree. It seems to cap on how much reduction you get and the enemies are still the same numbers more or less, so to all endgame players it isnt a battlle about whos the best , but rather who has more time to rinse and repeat. Would have prefered it to be like the endless def missions were the enemies get stronger and stronger to no end.

Remember that not everyone is a weapon wielding god, some people do have a slightly harder time than most with the game.

Just remember us mere mortals that need a group while you're soloing the new event with minimal shields and health. 

First...I never solo, I always run with Clan mates. I enjoy working as a team.

The only difference in difficulty between new players and old is the weapons you have and the mods on those weapons. Because the way the event is constructed, your warframe abilities pretty much all but useless.

As long as you have the magic warframe (meow), and a few select magic mods for that warframe...quick thinking, armor and health mods (mods that are now pretty much readily available to everyone through the event) You are going to have the same difficulty scale as anyone.

That is the problem I think....the difficulty caps...no matter if you are a new player or old...it caps at the same point and everyone has the same result...a grind that requires no skill, no thought...just like walking from point A to point B.

This issue I point out..only because the past few events have incorporated a bit more room for those with finesse and acquired skill through experience the room to shine and make an impact on the result. 

This one on the other hand is a few step backwards for DE in terms of challenge. But it still possesses a great idea in terms of potential.

And yes, I like Leaderboards...excuse me for that...I enjoy seeing our clan's efforts recorded in history and displayed for us to remember how we pulled together to make that place on that board. This is the game after the game, once you have your 15 runs..this is what you do as a group for the next week.

Cryotic Front was the only recent event that required any actual skill to go further.

Breeding grounds capped out at the point where enemies one shotted you.

Tethras Doom was more about cheesing the system

Gradivus was a grind fest

Anyways my point is, most events have had a point where extra skill =/= more points

And events have always given an advantage to those who have the time, patience and bladder capacity to grind at them for days.

Cryotic Front was the only recent event that required any actual skill to go further.

Breeding grounds capped out at the point where enemies one shotted you.

Tethras Doom was more about cheesing the system

Gradivus was a grind fest

Anyways my point is, most events have had a point where extra skill =/= more points

And events have always given an advantage to those who have the time, patience and bladder capacity to grind at them for days.

I think the point that is lost here is that since tehtras doom, the events gradually pushed you up against a wall until you reached your personal breaking points, forcing you to diversify your thinking to progress further until you reach a terminal end.

Those prior events challenged your ability to work cohesively strategicly and rewarded you for that with higher scores.

This event promised that in theory but at a certain point the bottom falls out and it doesn't get any tougher, doesn't require you to try harder and at a very early stage.

resulting in forcing you to go on autopilot and grind without the heart pounding moments provided in those aforementioned events.

Have leader boards ever not been about grind?

I don't even know how you'd have leaderboards that aren't about grind. If you cap each person's score then it becomes a question of which clan can mobilize all members first, but the problem there being that there's no real way to determine winners in event of a tie.

You can't have it constantly get 'harder' or anything either, because what are you going to do, eventually nerf the player's frame down to 1 hp/1shield with powers that don't work at all? That doesn't sound like fun to me. Just reminds me of BG where one hit could ruin everything, without even the saving grace of permainvis Loki. 

My Rhino base shields 1230... 4 missions in it's now down to something like 570. I just have to wonder how much shields would frames like Loki and Nova have at 15 missions?! Looks like I'll be sticking to Rhino as for some reason as soon as the Grineer half of the mission starts I acquire crippling lag and can barely move >_>

Only problem I had was on the second planet sometimes the one will call it key boss would die and the key would fall and no one could find it or get to it. there is a pit one time the bass fell down on a ledge after hunting all over we found her but when we killed her the key drop down into the pit and could not be gotten. Another time we didn't see her drop it but they game showed it was on the other side of the portal.

Last  planet was alittle harder but ok easier than some nightmares I've done. Just the people that rush through find out that die easily fighting the two bosses because they didn't wait for rest of the group and they get killed. I don't care about leader boards I just enjoy the game and playing with friends. Some people have to have leader boards and those things they give out on x-box if you kill so many or are the fasted time wise, awards or whatever  they are called care less. Everyone did the same basic thing rush to the bosses kill them rush back  home. Never bothered with monster between just run around them. Certain individuals wouldn't even bother if a team mate was down, a bit uncool but didn't surprise me.

I don't even know how you'd have leaderboards that aren't about grind. If you cap each person's score then it becomes a question of which clan can mobilize all members first, but the problem there being that there's no real way to determine winners in event of a tie.

You can't have it constantly get 'harder' or anything either, because what are you going to do, eventually nerf the player's frame down to 1 hp/1shield with powers that don't work at all? That doesn't sound like fun to me. Just reminds me of BG where one hit could ruin everything, without even the saving grace of permainvis Loki. 

Design missions where score depends on teamplay. Cryotic even was kinda about that.

My Rhino base shields 1230... 4 missions in it's now down to something like 570. I just have to wonder how much shields would frames like Loki and Nova have at 15 missions?! Looks like I'll be sticking to Rhino as for some reason as soon as the Grineer half of the mission starts I acquire crippling lag and can barely move >_>

My Trinity is on 400  after 5 missions, now on to Phobos.

I'm not looking forward to Ceres. Think i'll be looking at 50 shield ... be like having Valkyr at level 1 all over again.

Grind with teamplay is still grind though.

And it would also kind of screw over people who play solo, of which there are many due to strict NAT or personal preference.

Grind is doing same easy thing for hundred times, like this event. Cryotic was one mission with rising difficulty for the top score. 

Have separate solo leader boards, there is no way for solo players to compete with full squads.

Edited by Monolake

From what I can tell, its going to be something that replaces ODE. ODE always had Grineer that would spawn in after you took something from a vault, so this makes sence. I think they wanted the make Vault runs more then just something tacked onto an Exterminate mission. But hey, until next Wednesday we get unlimited Vault runs. You can even get keys as Caches.

Grind is doing same easy thing for hundred times, like this event. Cryotic was one mission with rising difficulty for the top score. 

Have separate solo leader boards, there is no way for solo players to compete with full squads.

thank you for pointing out this massive difference.

Yes its true all leaderboards become a grind, but some grinds are more challenging the higher in score you go, this event challenge goes up until mid 20s then it levels and becomes the same thing over and over, the big problem I have is its just a leaderboard to show time spent doing the same mundane task, which is in result...is basically handing out trophies to those who have nothing more pressing in their life to do...

Which is whatever...Im just disappointed with the fact it is being treated as a sanctioned event and not some causual story line fluff as it should be....there I totally just put an unfiltered opinion out there.

I'm just glad this isn't the generic "pump up enemy damage output and sponge factor" kind of hard. Making abilities still usable, but gimped to an extent provides ground for innovative use to bypass the handicaps, rather than things like constant energy drain or no shields/health.

Im just hoping vay hek decides to make another video appearance....perhaps this time he could be like...lol you got punked tenno! Time for the real challenge to begin!...not holding my breath.

Just sayin.

Jesus no, just hearing him screaming into the mic while in the midst of asthma attacks is enough to put me off spending more time in liset :S