Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Psa: Limbo Is Useful For Non Infested Defense

izzatuw

So after doing a T4D with Limbo, he was surprisingly helpful in cryopod defending. He was quite useful in keeping the pod from danger by using Cataclysm. By doing so, I was capable of keeping the pod from danger 90% of the time, it's quite a good alternative to Frost's Snowglobe since it makes the pod practically transparent and allows you to get energy while you're in at it. Also, if you have a Nova or another good energy caster, the other player can use the ability without worrying and regain energy.

Edit: Here's my build. With this build, the ability range is small enough for the pod to take cover but not long enough for enemies like Fusion MOA to get it. Best recast Cataclysm before the next wave starts so it'll be small enough for enemies to get in its rage.

Edit 2: I will strongly advise to put Narrowminded for the duration increase and range decrease so close range enemies won't be able to attack the pod and place the pod in the mid of the pod, will show pics later.

extra notes: my Limbo was at rank 20 at the time. It worked will until wave 25 when we decided to leave

h1QT5z0.jpg

It's size with narrowminded rank 9

INqhPOU.jpg

Where you should aim when casting it

Sw43kfF.jpg

Edited by izzatuw

So he's Frost+Trinity-the snow globe slow? Seems legit. Too bad he's so annoyingly bad for most other situations.

Quite, I wouldn't mind if he was just bad though.

Edit: But I think Snowglobe might be weaker since it will shred in T4 while Cataclysm doesn't.

Edited by izzatuw

I still prever Frosts snowglobe. The problem with Limbo's catalysm is that you can only attack mobs on the inside and cannot shoot the ones that are out. With Frosts globe you can't shoot in but you can always shoot outside of it. Besides globe is always one size. Limbo's abilities more often just get in the way.

I still prever Frosts snowglobe. The problem with Limbo's catalysm is that you can only attack mobs on the inside and cannot shoot the ones that are out. With Frosts globe you can't shoot in but you can always shoot outside of it. Besides globe is always one size. Limbo's abilities more often just get in the way.

But I believe, in high levels, SG does rinse off well

personally, I enjoy using Overextended and Stretch on him. it turns his Cataclysm into a Nuke that also prevents enemies inside from hurting anything outside, plus it synergizes well with Rift Surge and Rift Walk (toggle/on and off for invincibility between engagements outside of cataclysm)

It's also really, really important to take Fleeting Expertise and Intensify with this build to make Cataclysm and Rift Surge spam-able and effective. combined with a max flow and Energy Siphon, It's actually a challenge to drain all of your energy, as your power efficiency is so high that you can cast powers for days.

*uses OE
*claims abilities nuke

*obviously doesnt play harder missions

granted, the passive damage boost from rift walking is good, i find his kit amazing solo. Riftwalk, surge, target a group with cataclysm, kill, move on. the knockdown and control from banish is useful, knocking down priority targets and focusing them first. very fun to use imo, will probably use quite a bit [already formad him twice]

Edited by DarkArchon

As others have noted the problem is needing to leave the Cataclysm area in order to deal damage to enemies outside of the Rift.  Sure, Limbo can Banish them individually but that would take a long time.  Also, once an enemy enters the Rift it can still fire on the defense objective so you still need a way to prevent it from taking damage.  In terms of dealing damage outside the Rift, the only alternative would be to take a damage frame like Saryn and Banish her, allowing her to move around spamming Miasma and killing but even that would eventually lack the necessary damage to kill quickly.  Again, I love the idea of Limbo but he is far too limiting to be useful for most content.  It's like Hydroid all over again.

*uses OE

*claims abilities nuke

*obviously doesnt play harder missions

granted, the passive damage boost from rift walking is good, i find his kit amazing solo. Riftwalk, surge, target a group with cataclysm, kill, move on. the knockdown and control from banish is useful, knocking down priority targets and focusing them first. very fun to use imo, will probably use quite a bit [already formad him twice]

well, I think it's fair to say I'd rather use other warframes on harder defense missions, but ultimately I would both build and play him differently if I wanted to use him on higher level missions. Personally, he doesn't quite fit my personal play style, though I do think the change of pace is fun and challenging.

I would like him much more if I could cast Cataclysm multiple times, or be able to Toggle Banish and Cataclysm on and off somehow, since I find his single target Banish rather tedious to use in quick succession as it usually insta kills non-heavy enemies, but can only hit one at a time while you stand still. That would be fine if Cataclysm wasn't his only AoE void move.

Banish on a team-member is rather trollish if used wrong, and does nothing to "help" them unless they are trying to shoot into your Cataclysm, or they are getting pummeled. In the later case you only succeed at "removing them from play", which I don't think is a good way to get popular with your team...

Using Banish in conjuncture with the rest of his kit feels like a lot of effort for not a lot of reward, since I need to phasewalk to finish off something if it doesn't die, or un-phasewalk to shoot anything else if it did (cause using Banish on everything in a group one at a time until phasewalk runs out is not only a good way to waste your energy, but it's also not an effective way to use the skill when you could otherwise just use it on a team-mate and let them shoot into "Cataclysm" from afar. That said, the fact that I cannot toggle "Banish" on and off makes it feel like I'm punishing my team if I try and effectively save them from enemy fire while also allowing them to hurt things in Cataclysm, considering that with a long power duration I can't turn off either, so if the enemies leave or die, they are stuck. Not just that, but dispatching them all one at a time with Banish under the protection of Phasewalk also seems rather less effective then just using my gun with some cover).

So unless you want to constantly toggle Phasewalk and only use Banish and Cataclysm as a means to "solo" while playing with the rest of your team, I don't really see why I'd use him for high levels when I could just use other Warframe's for more controllable CC with less worries etc. The amount of personal effort it would take me to be "as good" with him as some of my go too favorites makes him seem like a rather less fun option were I to ever screw up casts of Cataclysm, or accidently cast Banish on a team-member instead of the enemy they are dying too in melee (has happened before) or any of the other unforgiving elements of his abilities.

At least with a low level Nuke build I can easily resort to using just my weapons and phasewalking with Cataclysm (for when it gets hard), which to me, is more effective in "EVERY" game mode outside of Defense then a build that focuses on pure duration and power strength, due to the unforgiving nature of his abilities. Nuke builds still work in Defense as a support role, which I believe is the purpose of the kit in the first place. I can certainly see how using a small radius for Cataclysm as an exploit on defense is desirable, but if thats just a defense build, then it's simply a defense build, I like using him for other game modes more personally...

Edited by Temphis

As others have noted the problem is needing to leave the Cataclysm area in order to deal damage to enemies outside of the Rift.  Sure, Limbo can Banish them individually but that would take a long time.  Also, once an enemy enters the Rift it can still fire on the defense objective so you still need a way to prevent it from taking damage.  In terms of dealing damage outside the Rift, the only alternative would be to take a damage frame like Saryn and Banish her, allowing her to move around spamming Miasma and killing but even that would eventually lack the necessary damage to kill quickly.  Again, I love the idea of Limbo but he is far too limiting to be useful for most content.  It's like Hydroid all over again.

Couldn't you just stack range reduction mods and pop a tiny Cataclysm bubble? It's pretty much what Frosts used to do for Snow Globe so they could roam around.

@Ryme

The point is that the players have to venture outside of Cataclysm to deal damage, negating the protection is provides for anything but the defense objective.  Snow Globe does not have such a restriction.  While players are still trying to find ways to make Limbo work, they all feel very forced when compared to other effective skills like Absorb, Molecular Prime, Snow Globe, Radial Blind, etc.  Also, the only mod that reduces radius is Narrow Minded so I'm not sure how much smaller Cataclysm could get (the OP claims to be using a r9 Narrow).

I'd rather have a max range/duration Zephyr with Turbulence on my team.  She can just perch on top of the cryopod and deflect bullets/reduce accuracy forever.  And even that is pretty unreliable compared to Snow Globe.

Limbo is just wonky and awkward to use for the most part.  Really only shines in expert hands, which is not a majority of the playerbase.

I'd rather have a max range/duration Zephyr with Turbulence on my team.  She can just perch on top of the cryopod and deflect bullets/reduce accuracy forever.  And even that is pretty unreliable compared to Snow Globe.

Limbo is just wonky and awkward to use for the most part.  Really only shines in expert hands, which is not a majority of the playerbase.

There is really no experts in the game. There's just proper and troller types.

izz you can use volts shield to shoot outside from inside cataclysm

Synergy. Yes.

Also I've found that frost + limbo are great for defending. Limbo uses a huge cata, while the frost pops a smaller globe on the objective. Two layers of defense and a damage boost while inside the massive dome.

Edited by CarniKang