Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

For Laptop Users - How Well Can Your Laptop Run Warframe?

Chub_N_Tuck

tl;dr I have a gaming laptop and experienced drastic performance boost changing some graphics setting I didn't know about.

This obviously applies to laptop Warframers, and I had these questions for a long time. I have two questions.

I recently purchased a gaming laptop (i know how desktop users feel about that word) and I've been extensively gaming on my laptop for about 3 months now. The model is this http://us.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/model/NX.MUUAA.003

(I picked this up at a discounted price of $1000 on newegg)

Being a college student with a brother living in a same room, space is a scarce resource. So I thought it'd be a good idea to get a good laptop so I can do everything on a mobile device. It was a fine choice.

So, firstly, the point of this thread is, for laptop users, if there's any out there,how have your laptops performed on Warframe?

When I played this game on this laptop, I had quite a disappointing experience, usually getting 40 fps avg.  It dropped down even to 20s when there was an intense ability spam. So I was wondering if I can get a better performance, because I knew this laptop was capable of doing much better.

So after playing like that for 2 months, I decided to optimize the graphcis settings. I looked through Nvidia inspecter as well as the nvidia control panel, and fiddled around here and there. After that, I got an impressive performance boost, constantly maintaining 60 fps and dropping to 50s in intense fights.

The setting I have changed were triple buffering + vertical sync, threaded optimization and some visual quality settings to  prioritize performance or off.

Here's the second question. What can I do more to even furthur improve the performance, if any?

GTX 860m, pretty decent one but widely regarded as "obsolete" or "trash" by a lot of high end gamers

If your 860m can't max out Warframe at 1920x1080 and stay at a reasonably stable 60fps without fiddling it sounds like you have some issues with your system. My laptop has very similar specs and runs it maxed no problem.

The 860m is a quite modern card, and is solidly midrange compared to desktop cards. Nothing about it is obsolete or trash.

Edited by egregiousRac

HP laptop, Radeon HD 6470m, Intel i5 dual core, 4gb ram.

Runs the game on high settings anywhere between 35 and 60 as long as I have reflections and antialiasing off.

The engine is pretty friendly to lower-spec computers.

Weird thing about mine is I don't really notice much of a difference in framerate between high settings and lowest.

Edited by AdunSaveMe

just use Razer Blade everything will be smooth.

For much less than half of that price I bought a good laptop. Razer blade is too overpriced.

If your 860m can't max out Warframe at 1920x1080 and stay at a reasonably stable 60fps without fiddling it sounds like you have some issues with your system. My laptop has very similar specs and runs it maxed no problem.

The 860m is a quite modern card, and is solidly midrange compared to desktop cards. Nothing about it is obsolete or trash.

Yeah I agree... I don't know what was wrong though.

But I have received quite a few provokative statements from high end gamers. I was pretty sad but yeah 860m is still a good one.

Edited by Chuck_NoMiss

For much more than half of that price I bought a good laptop. Razer blade is too overpriced.

Yeah I agree... I don't know what was wrong though.

But I have received quite a few provokative statements from high end gamers. I was pretty sad but yeah 860m is still a good one.

'High end gamer' is usually a term used for people who go for the Blade, Alienware, etc. In essence, idiots.

My laptop is at least four years old, so you can imagine how well (sucky) it runs Warframe. It did manage to run Warframe smoothly, but performance has dropped with every major update since 12-13. Raids are a no-go, alt-tabbing is a no-go, earth, ice and void tilesets are a permanent 20-30 fps. The worst thing is how the game suddenly slows down, then speeds up at random. Everything is at low or off.

Well, I might get lucky and get a summer job, that would be pretty great! 

Alienware Mx17 here.

Got it for next to nothing and rebuilt it to be in line with new stuff.

Running a gtx 880m in it, and sit comfortably between 60 and 90 fps.

Did a test with my old settings and some boosts and doubled it.

I likr my computer.

I know you address this specifically to Laptops, but isn't the only real different specs? Not whether it's a desktop or laptop?

I know for a fact that some people have been taking the word "gaming" laptop as a joke, since the laptop gpu are made just for mobile devices and performance wise, it's comparably lackluster to the desktop cards. I know, laptops nowadays are pertty good though.

I was thinking how other people are running warframe on laptop. But I've read here on forums that Warframe runs on a single core heavily and the graphics card usage isn't high. I wouldn't know the specifics, but looks like laptops also perform very well. 

On the contrary, I hear desktop Nvidia 900 series are having some irregular fps drops. Even sli-two way set up has experienced trashy gameplay. Again, I read here on forums about that issue a lot. I guess Warframe is optimized well for lower end than high end.

Edited by Chuck_NoMiss

I've got a Toshiba Satellite L850-1FF that I picked up for about $800 2 years ago and I run the game at 1440x900 and medium settings. I get 45-70 FpS depending on map and enemy density.

Specs:

Intel i7-3610QM @ 2.1 GHz

AMD Radeon HD 7670M 2GB

8 GB Ram @ 1600 MHz

My laptop is a piece of crap cause of a long story on how it over heated. LOL

I run this at 12FPS lowest graphics most of the time. sometimes its nice and bumps to 25FPS

1030+hours and MR17 I've done pretty well dealing with it >-> 

used to be able to run games like this or better at normal at 60FPS

o.o psh on the lowest settings most stages give me an average of 10-15 on my laptop (I honestly need a new one >.> seriously daheck) Then again my laptop is a notebook not a gaming PC :S

I run this at 12FPS lowest graphics most of the time. sometimes its nice and bumps to 25FPS

Yay someone else who knows the pain of lower FPS. o.o its playable but could be a lot better

Edited by dragonkingdx

How... what? that is absolutely unplayable for me... I guess I'm spoiled compared to you haha

Edited by Chuck_NoMiss

There was a second question guys.

Is there anything you guys find helpful to improving performance? Any suggestions or stories?

I'm playing with a solid performance at the moment, but I always love improvements :D

Thanks to all the optimization passes DE has made, my average FPS has been buffed from 15-25 fps to 25-40fps. I'm using an HP Pavilion G6 that's from 2012 which has an AMD A4-3305M @ 1.9GHz, OC'd to 2.1, 4 GB of RAM and an HD Radeon 6400G. I don't care much for 60fps gaming right now, so this gets the job done.

Anyhow, have you tried bumping the resolution down a notch? Or turning Ambient Occlusion off? Maybe even Dynamic Lighting.