Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Speed Runs Do Not Help New Players

DarkKnight271

Question

I've only been playing this game for a few months now. Over all I like it but I'm starting to get really annoyed by a certain player behavior. Speed Runs.

Look, I get it. Some of you have been playing this game for years and know ever map inside out and you have all these super powerful weapons and Warframes that you want to show off. But forcing us newer players to speed run every map and every mission because YOU want to isn't helping anyone. How are we supposed to learn the game and how different damages work against different enemies if we never get a chance to even shoot at an enemy because you've already killed everything on the map.

I've recently been called out for being a "newb" and "not knowing anything", well, I am and I don't and it's because of the insistence of speed running everything. I can literally just walk behind other people and gather up the "rewards" for the kills without having to do anything. This is NOT FUN. I've even asked people not to speed run and kill everything on the map and I've been yelled at, told to shut up and laughed at because the guy carrying the squad was "doing us a favor".

To the experienced players that are bored of running these maps and missions, maybe play solo on the lower level stuff that you can cake walk through so the rest of us can actually experience this game. Oh, and I can hear the replies already of, "why don't you just play solo". Well, most of us newer players don't have weapons and warframes forma yet, and we don't have orokin catalysts and reactors installed yet so we actually need to run these missions as squads to complete them.

Or, maybe if you do want to run these lower level missions that you can curb stomp your way through, you let others have the fun and you just make sure no one dies and try to actually teach players things.

You say they should play solo. Did it ever occur to you to do the same thing? Or to play with friends? The easiest solution if none of your friends play is to join a clan and run missions with them. If you're doing missions you can't beat then maybe it's too high level for now. Don't expect players particularly during an alert, to slow down. Warframe is about efficiency if you want to improve. Unless you're playing alerts or a popular farming node you probably won't run into high level players on the low planets. If you're trying to play on higher level planets then that's of your own making.

Also this should be general discussion not players helping players.

Edited by Zilchy

51 minutes ago, Zilchy said:

You say they should play solo. Did it ever occur to you to do the same thing? Or to play with friends? The easiest solution if none of your friends play is to join a clan and run missions with them. If you're doing missions you can't beat then maybe it's too high level for now. Don't expect players particularly during an alert, to slow down. Warframe is about efficiency if you want to improve. Unless you're playing alerts or a popular farming node you probably won't run into high level players on the low planets. If you're trying to play on higher level planets then that's of your own making.

Also this should be general discussion not players helping players.

Good to know you didn't bother to actually read my post as I preempted your "no, you should play solo" response with why I can't always do that.

As for if it's an alert or not, it shouldn't matter. There's way more to recover from an alert than just the end reward. I've been in groups that have taken just a little bit more time because we didn't have someone speed run to the end and we recovered 4 orokin cells, 200 endo and a couple of blueprints, and this was in addition to the end reward. So again, if you a high enough power level to just walk through and alert, just do it solo, or ask if the group want's to speed run. But don't force it on them because you're bored and have other stuff to do.

As for Warframe "being about efficiency", that is your opinion. Some of us would like to actually play the game and enjoy the game while we level into the end game content.

For running in groups, none of my friends want to play this anymore because of similar bad experiences and I've tried joining a few different clans. So far, I'm never on when anyone from the clan is, so I get to play this game alone and do the public groups.

As to playing on higher level planets, let me let you in on a little secret, that's what groups are for, to take on challenges that are too tough for you to take on solo.

Seriously though, if you can play the game solo, why bother going into the public group queue? If it's just to show off, why bother, If it's to actually help lower power players, then try actually helping and not just speed running through the mission and let the lower level people actually do stuff.

Finally, this is my trying to help other players by pointing out a very damaging behavior by more experienced players that is most definitely affecting the fun of newer players.

2 hours ago, DarkKnight271 said:

I've only been playing this game for a few months now. Over all I like it but I'm starting to get really annoyed by a certain player behavior. Speed Runs.

Look, I get it. Some of you have been playing this game for years and know ever map inside out and you have all these super powerful weapons and Warframes that you want to show off. But forcing us newer players to speed run every map and every mission because YOU want to isn't helping anyone. How are we supposed to learn the game and how different damages work against different enemies if we never get a chance to even shoot at an enemy because you've already killed everything on the map.

I've recently been called out for being a "newb" and "not knowing anything", well, I am and I don't and it's because of the insistence of speed running everything. I can literally just walk behind other people and gather up the "rewards" for the kills without having to do anything. This is NOT FUN. I've even asked people not to speed run and kill everything on the map and I've been yelled at, told to shut up and laughed at because the guy carrying the squad was "doing us a favor".

To the experienced players that are bored of running these maps and missions, maybe play solo on the lower level stuff that you can cake walk through so the rest of us can actually experience this game. Oh, and I can hear the replies already of, "why don't you just play solo". Well, most of us newer players don't have weapons and warframes forma yet, and we don't have orokin catalysts and reactors installed yet so we actually need to run these missions as squads to complete them.

Or, maybe if you do want to run these lower level missions that you can curb stomp your way through, you let others have the fun and you just make sure no one dies and try to actually teach players things.

The probability of finding a high mr player on a low level nod are verry slim. There is a chance they are helping a low player get trought with it. Other then that if its an alert or fisure then good luck staying 20 minutes on a capture mission. As an example ,last night on sedna hydron , i had a mr 0 in the squad brought by a mr 18 player. Sounds fun,right?

And you don't seem to understand how public matxh making works. Why should i limit myself from doing what i find fun ? As it was previously said ,go solo if you don't like it and want a challange. It will come a time when you realise the time you are wasting wandering around instead of using that time to do a nother mission. Take as an example Lith exterminate: would you stay 5-15 minutes instead of doing it in 3- mins?

Edited by Nephalem

3 minutes ago, Nephalem said:

The probability of finding a high mr player on a low level nod are verry slim. There is a chance they are helping a low player get trought with it. Other then that if its an alert or fisure then good luck staying 20 minutes on a capture mission. As an example ,last night on sedna hydron , i had a mr 0 in the squad brought by a mr 18 player. Sounds fun,right?

I just reached MR10 (and I probably shouldn't be, I have almost no idea what's going on or what I'm doing on most maps because people keep speed running them) and I am almost always in groups with MR20+ players who will run a map in about a minute and then complain that I'm taking too long. This happens multiple times a night, every night.

As to if your example situation sounds fun or not, I don't know because I have no idea what you're talking about, I see the words but they literally mean nothing to me.

41 minutes ago, DarkKnight271 said:

Good to know you didn't bother to actually read my post as I preempted your "no, you should play solo" response with why I can't always do that.

As for if it's an alert or not, it shouldn't matter. There's way more to recover from an alert than just the end reward. I've been in groups that have taken just a little bit more time because we didn't have someone speed run to the end and we recovered 4 orokin cells, 200 endo and a couple of blueprints, and this was in addition to the end reward. So again, if you a high enough power level to just walk through and alert, just do it solo, or ask if the group want's to speed run. But don't force it on them because you're bored and have other stuff to do.

As for Warframe "being about efficiency", that is your opinion. Some of us would like to actually play the game and enjoy the game while we level into the end game content.

For running in groups, none of my friends want to play this anymore because of similar bad experiences and I've tried joining a few different clans. So far, I'm never on when anyone from the clan is, so I get to play this game alone and do the public groups.

As to playing on higher level planets, let me let you in on a little secret, that's what groups are for, to take on challenges that are too tough for you to take on solo.

Seriously though, if you can play the game solo, why bother going into the public group queue? If it's just to show off, why bother, If it's to actually help lower power players, then try actually helping and not just speed running through the mission and let the lower level people actually do stuff.

Finally, this is my trying to help other players by pointing out a very damaging behavior by more experienced players that is most definitely affecting the fun of newer players.

Good to know you didn't read all of mine either because I answered your solo retaliation at the end of my post - "If you're trying to play on higher level planets then that's of your own making"

It DOES MATTER if it's an alert or not because there's a much higher likelihood of running into a high level player in an alert, since they are there for the reward. And NO, there's nothing else to recover in the alert than the reward. You got 4 orokin cells, 200 endo and a couple of blueprints? Oh man I should slow down for such treasures. I have over 700 orokin cells, 300,000 endo and every weapon and frame in the game, why am I slowing down in the alert again?

Onto efficiency. Again if it's an alert I want the reward and then I'm going back to a real mission for proper grinding. 

For the point on your clan difficulties, I suggest joining a clan that is in the same timezone as you are. Do a little research on the clan section of this site and you'll probably find one.

For playing on higher planets, let me let you in on a little secret too, there's an ingame recruit chat for that. If you decide to be lazy and play public, you run the risk of playing with higher level players. 

As for your last point of playing solo vs public, again I come back to alerts and levels like Hydron. If it's an alert and is for example a defense or interception mission, then playing public can potentially finish it quicker than solo because in interception while I can hold all 4 points by myself the enemy will still get about 10% possession vs 0% wth a team. Again, efficient playing. Also if it's a defense alert for example, having more players in the game is going to mean better affinity gains(experience points) and therefore make casually adding a forma to a weapon much quicker.

Finally players helping players is where new players come to ask questions they need help with or to get tips etc. General discussion is where players go to post advice or feedback.

Edited by Zilchy

3 minutes ago, Zilchy said:

Good to know you didn't read all of mine either because I answered your solo retaliation at the end of my post - "If you're trying to play on higher level planets then that's of your own making"

It DOES MATTER if it's an alert or not because there's a much higher likelihood of running into a high level player in an alert, since they are there for the reward. And NO, there's nothing else to recover in the alert than the reward. You got 4 orokin cells, 200 endo and a couple of blueprints? Oh man I should slow down for such treasures. I have over 700 orokin cells, 300,000 endo and every weapon and frame in the game, why am I slowing down in the alert again?

I'm glad to know that you just want to ruin the experience of new players by speed running them through missions that you can easily do yourself. I really hope I never meet you in game, but more likely I have and you're one of the players that have complained about me taking "too long"..

Oh, and I'm glad you got the chance to brag how much stuff you have. Did it make you feel good? Did it make you feel better than me that you have so much more than I do (easily thousands of time more than me)? Good, I'm happy for you.

Now you can move along and be unproductive somewhere else.

6 minutes ago, DarkKnight271 said:

I'm glad to know that you just want to ruin the experience of new players by speed running them through missions that you can easily do yourself. I really hope I never meet you in game, but more likely I have and you're one of the players that have complained about me taking "too long"..

Oh, and I'm glad you got the chance to brag how much stuff you have. Did it make you feel good? Did it make you feel better than me that you have so much more than I do (easily thousands of time more than me)? Good, I'm happy for you.

Some missions are more rewarding doing it as a squad instead of solo and speed runs are way more rewarding then the old walk trought the entire map type of run. If at mr 10 you are still considered slow then id sudgest improving your parkour skills. 

At the time i reached mr 7 i was fast as the high mr players obv bc i stuck with speed runners and lerned how to eff run stuff and enjoy it . Speed running is not as easy as you imply it is. And the fact that you get grouped up with high mr players its not our problem but DE s.

Edited by Nephalem

3 minutes ago, Nephalem said:

Some missions are more rewarding doing it as a squad instead of solo. If at mr 10 you are still considered slow then id sudgest improving your parkour skills. 

At the time i reached mr 7 i was fast as the high mr players. Speed running is not as easy as you imply it is. And the fact that you get grouped up with high mr players its not our problem but DE s.

Good for you, but I'm not you. If you want to speed run a mission, do it solo, let the rest of us who want to actually enjoy playing the game do so without people like you rushing to the end and then complaining.

Really, what it seems like is you high level people just want to show off for the newbs and rub it in how bad we are at the game you've been playing for years.

Agreed, playing public is not fun for me the majority of the time because it's so easy, there is literally no challenge and it's a complete bore. Most matches I've had the exact same experience as you of running along behind one high level player who backflips through the level melting every enemy before I've even seen them. I don't even understand why these people play public matches when they could evidently handle everything solo.

I play solo the majority of the time, then when I can't manage a map on my own (especially with interceptions) I switch to public and it becomes a completely pointless snoozefest. I wish this game had an option for matchmaking that takes MR (or some other measurement) into account. The few times I've had matches where we were all around the same level it's been really fun and felt far more immersive.

I... haven't encountered enough of a problem with this, actually umm are you sure you mean speed runs? Mostly those are done without low MR people, often by streamers. 

You wouldn't do an actual speedrun with randoms.

I putter around constantly slow and make everyone sit on the timer at the end of the mission looking for hidden things. I've been called a newb all of once, (tbf my MR kind of prevents it, but the person who did it was trying to insult me by implying I was no better than they perceived newbs or something.)

I've had a few people get mad that they had to wait for me at the exit, but I just ignore them. Things like "hur you have a sexy voice." and stuff is way worse behavior imo, but YMMV depending on the gender you get perceived as most in voice.

Edit: seems like the issue is really PEBKAC, tbh. If you get this worked up over people complaining about you being slow, how are you going to function in any state other than blind rage for 80% of the game? You do you, and forget the haters. Or rage, and post it inexplicably as a question to other players. (I don't think you are even really supposed to post rage-quit ranting in any form area.) Seriously, this is from someone who has been short-term institutionalized because of Facebook.

Edited by SpicyDinosaur

18 minutes ago, DarkKnight271 said:

I've never complained about a player taking too long because I usually play with my clan mates, you should try it. Again, I only use public for a mission that can be completed faster in a group and I'm willing to bet I've carried many new players through content too hard for them and they were grateful for it.

Lol, I answered every one of your questions. I didn't brag, you made the point that I should slow down for those rewards and I countered by explaining that they're pointless to me. Use the right forum next time.

Edited by Zilchy

4 minutes ago, Stonetoes said:

Agreed, playing public is not fun for me the majority of the time because it's so easy, there is literally no challenge and it's a complete bore. Most matches I've had the exact same experience as you of running along behind one high level player who backflips through the level melting every enemy before I've even seen them. I don't even understand why these people play public matches when they could evidently handle everything solo.

I play solo the majority of the time, then when I can't manage a map on my own (especially with interceptions) I switch to public and it becomes a completely pointless snoozefest. I wish this game had an option for matchmaking that takes MR (or some other measurement) into account. The few times I've had matches where we were all around the same level it's been really fun and felt far more immersive.

The problem with an MR matcher would be that there are many players that are only MR 15 but that are extremely good players, they just don't want to grind out the extra MR. As an example, someone in my clan has 3000 hours played but he only levels up his MR on his birthday 😄

The easy solution to playing with lower level players is to not go onto the higher level planets for such missions. If it's an alert and you go public, expect to get rushed because players just want the reward ie a mod they can sell or something. Stay away from popular farming nodes and just join public matches of other nodes instead. I did this when I was a new player and never really had a problem with higher MRs joining. Granted that was a while ago and things may've changed. Speaking as a speed runner though, you'd never see me on Earth excavation for example. 

Edited by Zilchy

4 minutes ago, Zilchy said:

I've never complained about a player taking too long because I usually play with my clan mates, you should try it. Again, I only use public for a mission that can be completed faster in a group and I'm willing to bet I've carried many new players through content too hard for them and they were grateful for it.

Lol, I answered every one of your questions. I didn't brag, you made the point that I should slow down for those rewards and I countered by explaining that they're pointless to me. Use the right forum next time.

Again, you can go be unhelpful somewhere else. I know what kind of player you are even if you try to claim you're not. Just go away.

Just now, DarkKnight271 said:

Again, you can go be unhelpful somewhere else. I know what kind of player you are even if you try to claim you're not. Just go away.

You don't know anything about me actually :) 
You'd be suprised how much I help new clan members for example. 
I've given you solutions but you seem to just want to be angry instead. Have fun with that. 

Now I can see why you are frustrated. Unfortunately that's Public for you.

That said, in normal missions you shouldn't really be encountering that many high level players. Also everything is doable alone, just upgrade your mods and you should be able to go solo. You have absolutely no reason to rush the star chart, I know I didn't have Eris unlocked until something like mr 12-14. Why not look for people with similar interests and play together?

I do realize this is an issue, but it's not as one sided as you make it out to be.

Example, in some fissure, where I'm trying to open my 20th relic in the last 50 minutes, some MR0-1 who has no place there , but obviously wants to get some easy rewards, decides to go around killing things that don't need to be killed and opening lockers that don't need to be opened, wasting 3 other players' time.

7 minutes ago, Stonetoes said:

I'm quickly getting to this point in this game. If I literally don't have to do anything and can still "win the mission" it's beyond boring. The problem with the higher MR players is that they just don't care that they're taking away the opportunity for fun to be had by others by speed running the level and starting the exit countdown.

4 minutes ago, Zilchy said:

You don't know anything about me actually 🙂
You'd be suprised how much I help new clan members for example. 
I've given you solutions but you seem to just want to be angry instead. Have fun with that. 

I would not be at all surprised that you are zero help to new people. So you can just move along now, I don't need or want anymore of your unhelpfulness here.

3 minutes ago, Ver1dian said:

That said, in normal missions you shouldn't really be encountering that many high level players. Also everything is doable alone, just upgrade your mods and you should be able to go solo. You have absolutely no reason to rush the star chart, I know I didn't have Eris unlocked until something like mr 12-14. Why not look for people with similar interests and play together?

I do realize this is an issue, but it's not as one sided as you make it out to be.

Example, in some fissure, where I'm trying to open my 20th relic in the last 50 minutes, some MR0-1 who has no place there , but obviously wants to get some easy rewards, decides to go around killing things that don't need to be killed and opening lockers that don't need to be opened, wasting 3 other players' time.

Adding to that, reviving a player 10 times because they can't take a hit or dodge properly( and I'm not inferring that of the ppl here) is not fun. Many players rush the star chart and need to go public to do it. That's why they often run into higher level players when they happen to do a popular farming node for example.

4 minutes ago, Ver1dian said:

But I do see this even in normal missions. Mostly because people are grinding for something or another like the Ivara Warframe or relics.

As for the fissure thing, I can see that being annoying. I didn't even start doing fissures until a few weeks ago (mostly because I had no idea what they were) and I certainly didn't know what the relics were for.

3 minutes ago, DarkKnight271 said:

I would not be at all surprised that you are zero help to new people. So you can just move along now, I don't need or want anymore of your unhelpfulness here.

This is amusing. I could've just been a prat and said "git gud" like so many others but I actually tackled every point you made and gave you solutions. I come to players helping players to help new players with questions. Like I said before, you used the wrong forum. 

Edited by Zilchy

5 minutes ago, DarkKnight271 said:

Oh, poor baby, does that slow down your speed runs? Good, now just shoo, go on now, you've proven you're better than all of us newbs and superior in every way. Go on now, find some other post to troll.

No it ruins my fun, isn't that your issue? Not having fun? So you don't mind going into higher level content where a better player has to revive you but you do mind being rushed? It's a 2 way street lad.

Also, you say shoo and then you coax me back by quoting me in a reply I made to a different member 😄 You're not too bright are you? 

Edited by Zilchy

21 minutes ago, SpicyDinosaur said:

I... haven't encountered enough of a problem with this, actually umm are you sure you mean speed runs? Mostly those are done without low MR people, often by streamers. 

You wouldn't do an actual speedrun with randoms.

Maybe they're streamers, I have no idea since there are only about 5 streamers I actually watch. But these speed runs happen to me every night I play and several times a night.

2 minutes ago, Zilchy said:

No it ruins my fun, isn't that your issue? Not having fun? So you don't mind going into higher level content where a better player has to revive you but you do mind being rushed? It's a 2 way street lad.

Also, you say shoo and then you coax me back by quoting me in a reply I made to a different member 😄 You're not too bright are you? 

Huh, then I guess you'd be happier if you played solo too, especially since you don't need the other players and are only there to show off how superior you are to them.

So, shoo, go away, your not needed here anymore. You have proven how much better you are. Just go. Move along now.