Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Speed Runs Do Not Help New Players

DarkKnight271

Question

I've only been playing this game for a few months now. Over all I like it but I'm starting to get really annoyed by a certain player behavior. Speed Runs.

Look, I get it. Some of you have been playing this game for years and know ever map inside out and you have all these super powerful weapons and Warframes that you want to show off. But forcing us newer players to speed run every map and every mission because YOU want to isn't helping anyone. How are we supposed to learn the game and how different damages work against different enemies if we never get a chance to even shoot at an enemy because you've already killed everything on the map.

I've recently been called out for being a "newb" and "not knowing anything", well, I am and I don't and it's because of the insistence of speed running everything. I can literally just walk behind other people and gather up the "rewards" for the kills without having to do anything. This is NOT FUN. I've even asked people not to speed run and kill everything on the map and I've been yelled at, told to shut up and laughed at because the guy carrying the squad was "doing us a favor".

To the experienced players that are bored of running these maps and missions, maybe play solo on the lower level stuff that you can cake walk through so the rest of us can actually experience this game. Oh, and I can hear the replies already of, "why don't you just play solo". Well, most of us newer players don't have weapons and warframes forma yet, and we don't have orokin catalysts and reactors installed yet so we actually need to run these missions as squads to complete them.

Or, maybe if you do want to run these lower level missions that you can curb stomp your way through, you let others have the fun and you just make sure no one dies and try to actually teach players things.

Just now, SpicyDinosaur said:

Is OP serious or trolling, I can no longer tell...

No, my original post was not meant to be a troll post. It's a legitimate gripe I have with the way some players, specifically high MR players (like the other poster with the superiority complex), play the game and then as a result force us newer players to play the game.

7 minutes ago, DarkKnight271 said:

Huh, then I guess you'd be happier if you played solo too, especially since you don't need the other players and are only there to show off how superior you are to them.

So, shoo, go away, your not needed here anymore. You have proven how much better you are. Just go. Move along now. 

You seem to have a problem with high mr players and not just about speed runners. Dont forget you going to be a high mr player as well. What then hater? 

Edited by Nephalem

Just now, DarkKnight271 said:

Huh, then I guess you'd be happier if you played solo too, especially since you don't need the other players and are only there to show off how superior you are to them.

So, shoo, go away, your not needed here anymore. You have proven how much better you are. Just go. Move along now. 

Oh you quoted me again, hello. As I tried to explain before, I do most missions solo so that I can do then at my own pace but there are certain missions that are more beneficial or potentially faster in a group. As a good example I could do a defense mission that's an alert and I could take a mesa or any other dps frame to kill quickly thus ending the mission faster. OR I could go public (assuming no clan mates are on I can run with) and hope that I get a group with a speed nova that will significantly increase the speed of the waves even further meaning I waste less time in the alert. Now I can understand that to you this seems silly because you haven't played for that long but when you've done hundreds of identical alerts, often you just want to get it done fast as possible, sell whatever reward you earned on the trade chat and get back to whatever you were doing previously. Does that make sense? I hope so.

Also i forgot one other tip you  ould try for avoiding these problems you're having. Since you don't wish to go solo, other than staying off of known farming nodes, you can try changing the region that your game is in, in your options. This may make it so that you're not playing during the peak hours of that timezone and therefore should have more casual players on at the times you play.

Just now, Nephalem said:

You seem to have a problem with high mr players. Dont forget you going to be a high mr player as well. What then hater? 

I don't have a problem with high MR players. I have a problem with high MR players who force low MR players to speed run levels just because they want to and can.

1 minute ago, DarkKnight271 said:

No, my original post was not meant to be a troll post. It's a legitimate gripe I have with the way some players, specifically high MR players (like the other poster with the superiority complex), play the game and then as a result force us newer players to play the game.

Yea well, this galvanized me to like/upvote/applaud all of "the other poster"'s posts because he's remaining calm and even respectful while you froth at the mouth and rage over him disagreeing with you.

I feel like everyone would be better off just walking away and letting the thread die a proper death, because 1. As was said, this is not the rants section of the forum (pretty sure that's not a thing anyway.) 2. You need to chill and take a breath in between posts. This may even be, for you, a healthy way to release that extreme rage in your gut, but it doesn't speak well of you.

Also, this is a public forum, other people aren't prohibited from being on your thread whether you like it or not. 🙄

2 minutes ago, Zilchy said:

Oh you quoted me again, hello. As I tried to explain before, I do most missions solo so that I can do then at my own pace but there are certain missions that are more beneficial or potentially faster in a group. As a good example I could do a defense mission that's an alert and I could take a mesa or any other dps frame to kill quickly thus ending the mission faster. OR I could go public (assuming no clan mates are on I can run with) and hope that I get a group with a speed nova that will significantly increase the speed of the waves even further meaning I waste less time in the alert. Now I can understand that to you this seems silly because you haven't played for that long but when you've done hundreds of identical alerts, often you just want to get it done fast as possible, sell whatever reward you earned on the trade chat and get back to whatever you were doing previously. Does that make sense? I hope so.

Also i forgot one other tip you  ould try for avoiding these problems you're having. Since you don't wish to go solo, other than staying off of known farming nodes, you can try changing the region that your game is in, in your options. This may make it so that you're not playing during the peak hours of that timezone and therefore should have more casual players on at the times you play.

You said yourself that having to revive us newbs just slows you down. So really, the only reason you go public is to show off how superior you are. It really sounds like you'd be much happier just staying solo so you don't have to deal with newbs like me dragging you down and making your game less fun.

But for some reason you're still here trying to be unhelpful to this thread. It really goes to show what kind of person you are.

You said yourself that having to revive us newbs just slows you down. So really, the only reason you go public is to show off how superior you are. It really sounds like you'd be much happier just staying solo so you don't have to deal with newbs like me dragging you down and making your game less fun.

But for some reason you're still here trying to be unhelpful to this thread. It really goes to show what kind of person you are.

Not sure how you figured that considering i just gave an example of why I go public occasionally? Why would i need to show off? I could care less about what people think of my gear lol, I only use public for the potential of finishing a mission faster, same as you. Vice versa it really sounds like you'd prefer to play solo to avoid players like me ruining your fun. See how easy that was to reverse your statement?

The irony of your last comment is that I'm the main person in this entire thread who's offered you solutions. Also, isn't it polite to reply when quoted?

Edited by Zilchy

3 minutes ago, DarkKnight271 said:

He actualy gave you all the solutions to that so called speedrun problem of yours. You are the one unhelpful for the community.

4 minutes ago, SpicyDinosaur said:

Yea well, this galvanized me to like/upvote/applaud all of "the other poster"'s posts because he's remaining calm and even respectful while you froth at the mouth and rage over him disagreeing with you.

I feel like everyone would be better off just walking away and letting the thread die a proper death, because 1. As was said, this is not the rants section of the forum (pretty sure that's not a thing anyway.) 2. You need to chill and take a breath in between posts. This may even be, for you, a healthy way to release that extreme rage in your gut, but it doesn't speak well of you.

Also, this is a public forum, other people aren't prohibited from being on your thread whether you like it or not. 🙄

Good for you? Eh, whatever. as to the "other poster", I don't remember his name and it wasn't worth the effort to scroll up and look at it. It still isn't.

Are you sure this is a public forum? I mean it looks like a public forum but I don't know. Those private forums can sure be tricks-y in their disguises. But if you're sure this is public I'll take you're word for it.

2 minutes ago, DarkKnight271 said:

Good for you? Eh, whatever. as to the "other poster", I don't remember his name and it wasn't worth the effort to scroll up and look at it. It still isn't.

Are you sure this is a public forum? I mean it looks like a public forum but I don't know. Those private forums can sure be tricks-y in their disguises. But if you're sure this is public I'll take you're word for it.

Sometimes I wish we could just post a meme instead of having to look like we were contributing, because not much covers this other than 😄 but I want to be a cool kid and use pictures. (Goshdarnit, I have a whole hard-drive devoted to keyboard warrioring other keyboard warriors with the memes.)

You actually make a point though, not intentionally or anything, this is actually a privately owned forum. Meaning you can be warned, banned, etc for whatever they want, or you can just have your thread deleted if you are lucky. Because you are getting way too mad. Like I said, I'd advise lying down for a bit and not speed posting to maintain some form of control over your emotions. 😉

Simmah Dawn Nah

1 minute ago, SpicyDinosaur said:

Sometimes I wish we could just post a meme instead of having to look like we were contributing, because not much covers this other than 😄 but I want to be a cool kid and use pictures. (Goshdarnit, I have a whole hard-drive devoted to keyboard warrioring other keyboard warriors with the memes.)

You actually make a point though, not intentionally or anything, this is actually a privately owned forum. Meaning you can be warned, banned, etc for whatever they want, or you can just have your thread deleted if you are lucky. Because you are getting way too mad. Like I said, I'd advise lying down for a bit and not speed posting to maintain some form of control over your emotions. 😉

Simmah Dawn Nah

Yeh he's speeding through the posts too fast and ruining my fun cos I want to go slower.. damn these speed posters.

3 minutes ago, Zilchy said:

Not sure how you figured that considering i just gave an example of why I go public occasionally? Why would i need to show off? I could care less about what people think of my gear lol, I only use public for the potential of finishing a mission faster, same as you. Vice versa it really sounds like you'd prefer to play solo to avoid players like me ruining your fun. See how easy that was to reverse your statement?

The irony of your last comment is that I'm the only person in this entire thread who's offered you solutions. Also, isn't it polite to reply when quoted?

I don't know why you'd need to, or want to, show off, but it's really the only reason I can think of why some higher MR person would come down to the lower level missions and then speed run through them whether the rest of us want to or not. Nothing I like more than getting zero kills and zero xp because I can't keep up with the MR20 player who's just there to show off.

Also, here's the difference, you use public "for the potential of finishing a mission faster", that is NOT the same as me. I use public to FINISH THE MISSION. Like I said before, I don't have a lot in the way of forma or orokin reactors or catalysts. I've only been playing for around 3 months. I'm not rushing the star chart, I'm not even really past Uranus yet.

But I would love to actually be able to play the game and do some exploring without having some MR20+ yahoo rush the end and then start the exit timer while me and the rest of the squad are still looking around for stuff.

2 minutes ago, DarkKnight271 said:

But I would love to actually be able to play the game and do some exploring without having some MR20+ yahoo rush the end and then start the exit timer while me and the rest of the squad are still looking around for stuff.

Again, if you want to take your time colecting garbage then go solo , take a loki and stay in there for hours if you want to.

3 minutes ago, Nephalem said:

Again, if you want to take your time colecting garbage then go solo , take a loki and stay in there for hours if you want to.

Orokin cells, Endo, Argon cyrstals and credits are not garbage. But hey, if you have to many feel free to send some my way.

And I don't have a Loki yet. As I said, I'm not even past Uranus yet. I'm told I can farm that one one of the next two planets.

Edited by DarkKnight271

8 minutes ago, DarkKnight271 said:

I don't know why you'd need to, or want to, show off, but it's really the only reason I can think of why some higher MR person would come down to the lower level missions and then speed run through them whether the rest of us want to or not. Nothing I like more than getting zero kills and zero xp because I can't keep up with the MR20 player who's just there to show off.

Also, here's the difference, you use public "for the potential of finishing a mission faster", that is NOT the same as me. I use public to FINISH THE MISSION. Like I said before, I don't have a lot in the way of forma or orokin reactors or catalysts. I've only been playing for around 3 months. I'm not rushing the star chart, I'm not even really past Uranus yet.

Since you are new I'll explain why. 

Alerts, kuria, nightmare missions, fissures, kubrow eggs, scans they missed, and many more! 

Also, your definition of "speed run" is still wrong. Also, I promise, no one is showing off for you. Most players don't care that much. 

Also why do you assume I use public for that. I run an entire clan and I mostly do missions with them (sometimes low level ones to help them.) I am most often the one behind everyone, looking around for frame fighter stuff and on two planets somachords. Sometimes I see a room tile I am positive has a kuria I don't have, sometimes I want to mark them for other people. My point being, I don't use public very often and really only to trick lower MRs into doing work for me while I wander around distractedly. I'm nefarious like that.

You know what gets you all that stuff you need? Time. 3 months isn't long at all. I'm not sure how long you'll last with that temper though.

Edit: haha trust us, orokin cells mean nothing. None of the stuff but argon crystals and polymer bundles have use for me. Argon because they decay and I try to keep an incubator power core on the fire, and polymers because I chain use energy pads due to delicious convenience.

Edited by SpicyDinosaur

11 minutes ago, DarkKnight271 said:

This MR 17 yahoo would like to point out that it takes two to start the exit timer.

It sound to me like you need to learn to go fast, and still look for loot. It is possible. You need a loot detector of some kind, a bit of skill, and a good eye. I suggest setting the map so it shows in the center of your screen, and don't stop for every container along the way.

EDIT: As you seem to have discovered, "speed runs" are the norm. If you can't do it, you can't play public matches. It is really that simple. If you don't like it, sorry, but it won't change.

Edited by MiloLC

2 minutes ago, SpicyDinosaur said:

Since you are new I'll explain why. 

Alerts, kuria, nightmare missions, fissures, kubrow eggs, scans they missed, and many more! 

Also, your definition of "speed run" is still wrong. Also, I promise, no one is showing off for you. Most players don't care that much. 

Also why do you assume I use public for that. I run an entire clan and I mostly do missions with them (sometimes low level ones to help them.) I am most often the one behind everyone, looking around for frame fighter stuff and on two planets somachords. Sometimes I see a room tile I am positive has a kuria I don't have, sometimes I want to mark them for other people. My point being, I don't use public very often and really only to trick lower MRs into doing work for me while I wander around distractedly. I'm nefarious like that.

You know what gets you all that stuff you need? Time. 3 months isn't long at all. I'm not sure how long you'll last with that temper though.

My definition of speed run is not wrong. I'm telling you, I get MR20+ people in groups that will finish a mission in around a minute, maybe two, go to the extraction point and then complain that I'm taking too long if I wasn't able to keep up or got lost on a map (which happens especially on the snow map with the crashed ship). They then sit at extraction complaining and let the timer run out. If that's not a speed run, then I guess I don't know what is.

As for the stuff you listed in your second line, I don't know what half of that is. I'm sure I'll figure it out at some point.

As for the game taking time, I'm patient. I'm not the one rushing through missions and complaining that they're taking too long.

8 minutes ago, MiloLC said:

This MR 17 yahoo would like to point out that it takes two to start the exit timer.

It sound to me like you need to learn to go fast, and still look for loot. It is possible. You need a loot detector of some kind, a bit of skill, and a good eye. I suggest setting the map so it shows in the center of your screen, and don't stop for every container along the way.

or get looter for carrier and use it to bust open crates you pass by.

I can easily collect loot, (again it's not usually needed, but I am a hoarder. What if something costs like a whole 9 million alloy plating in the future, I might -need- that and more to stay above water....) while going through a mission. I just ignore complaints when I make people time out on extraction timer. You don't have to listen to them, you know. You can even put them on ignore if they actually get abusive, such as you are being in this thread. Seriously, you can't be this angry IRL. Breeeathe.

I can't help but feel you are going to do your first eidolon hunt and bring like ember or mag or something and get mad when people rush you because you don't have archwing launchers or something. This stuff makes for such a headache in game. People don't inherently owe you their time.

Edit: you don't know what a speed run is then.

Edited by SpicyDinosaur

6 minutes ago, MiloLC said:

EDIT: As you seem to have discovered, "speed runs" are the norm. If you can't do it, you can't play public matches. It is really that simple. If you don't like it, sorry, but it won't change.

There is no point I can see to speed running a map. You miss out on everything from orokin cells to mods to endo to credits. Maybe you all have all the in game currency you need and you actually can't have any more. I'm not in that boat or even on the same ocean as that boat. I haven't played ever single mission a millions times. I haven't been able to actually play the game because I keep getting dragged from the start of a mission to the end.

Oh, and a loot detector only shows you where containers are, not what's in them. At least not the loot detectors I have.

1st of all, the very 1st run in a mission should be solo, to get a grasp of as much as possible, like layouts, how hard are the enemies and to learn the objective (keep in mind many playerss miss the entire objective learning, leaving to obvious problems in missions like sorties, so don't assume the objective is something everyone knows)

2nd, speed runs without kills, without destroying crates, without doing secondary objectives are common and that is why some players complain about the grind, that is why players dedicate time to farming oxium, mutagen samples, endo, exp and so on, because they focus on the mission reward instead of doing stuff in the missions themselves.

Speed is something you aquire after the bulk of the mission is done, it is never something you focus on from the start, otherwise you know what's comming, more grind.

While a new player can banefit from faster runs, it all comes to loot gathering, if there is no loot, running serves no purpose, if you are playing the game you either kill or you run quickly to kill more, running for the sake of it leads to fast missions, but to underwelming results (aka the majority of players are here) No one can pull you out from here, no one can carry you so you can escape the poor efficiency state.

Being average in terms of efficiency is the goal for many and it's something you should strugle for as it makes the game more enjoyable.

High efficiency is left for those that really want that, when you reach this state you can recognize the previous 2 states where the bulk of the community is in.

24 minutes ago, DarkKnight271 said:

Yep I understand all of that. It's not showing off I promise you. If it's an alert, then it's for say the reward of Corrosive projection so we can give it to a new clan member. To give an idea in my clan we give new players what we call "starter kits". These are donated by the higher level players and contain a basic mod set ie Serration, the elemental damage mods, multishot mods and basic warframe mods like Streamline, flow etc. We get lots of these and one way of getting a lot of them is caining the alert whenever it pops up. If it's an exterminate, spy etc I'll go solo but for a defense, interception mission etc I'll use public because it's a chance to not only potentially do the mission quicker by getting lucky on what other people bring in, might even meet another high level player who brought a complimentary frame to what I brought. But it's also a chance to do a casual weapon level ie add a forma and since we do this so often every opportunity is a good thing. When you need to add 5-6 forma to a weapon, the less time spent doing it, the better. Especially if you have say 20 weapons to do that to.

My best advice for avoiding MR 20+ is to stick to the lower level missions. There are farming nodes for example Io on Jupiter,where you might meet a high level player farming relics and speeding defense waves or Uranus on Ophelia farming for polymer bundles but on the low level planets there shouldn't really be anywhere outside of the alerts where high level players will regularly be. The alerts are an exception for the reasons I've outlined above. Do try changing your timezone to cater for say, the night time of a different timezone when there should be less players out farming, speeding etc. But honestly the best piece of advice I can give is to search the clan forum on this site for a clan that has a majority of players in your timezone, this will give you the best chance of playing with low level players. In my clan for example we have 8 dojos worth of players and the elite play with the elite, the new players with the new players and the only time we cross over is if the new players ask for help.

Alternatively try using the ingame recruit chat, type something like "lf casual runs with new players, pm me" and you might find some low level mates to play with. And if you enjoy playing with them, add em to your friends list and play with them again.

Edited by Zilchy

5 minutes ago, SpicyDinosaur said:

I can't help but feel you are going to do your first eidolon hunt and bring like ember or mag or something and get mad when people rush you because you don't have archwing launchers or something. This stuff makes for such a headache in game. People don't inherently owe you their time.

I don't like Mag and don't have Ember yet, I'd probably use Excalibur or maybe Rhino since those are my favorites so far. Also, what's an "eidolon hunt"? You know what, never mind, I'll figure it out at some point, probably when I figure out what and "archwing launcher" is.

Just now, DarkKnight271 said:

I don't like Mag and don't have Ember yet, I'd probably use Excalibur or maybe Rhino since those are my favorites so far. Also, what's an "eidolon hunt"? You know what, never mind, I'll figure it out at some point, probably when I figure out what and "archwing launcher" is.

hopefully by then you don't just guess and make everyone hard carry you. >__>

There is no point I can see to speed running a map. You miss out on everything from orokin cells to mods to endo to credits. Maybe you all have all the in game currency you need and you actually can't have any more. I'm not in that boat or even on the same ocean as that boat. I haven't played ever single mission a millions times. I haven't been able to actually play the game because I keep getting dragged from the start of a mission to the end.

Oh, and a loot detector only shows you where containers are, not what's in them. At least not the loot detectors I have.

If I showed you the resources in my inventory you would understand. And while I can appreciate that you do need them, you're much better off farming such things in Survival or Defense missions where people can't rush and leave, particularly in dark sectors for increased resource drops and rewards. They have to wait 5 minutes minimum in a survival and it's easy to grab everything during a defense. Most of use don't bother grabbing loot during exterminates or spy, sabotage etc because there's simply not much worth grabbing. A couple of hundred endo just isn't worth the time to grab it.

Edited by Zilchy