Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Arrow Bending Since 23.10 Update

ShadarVieth

I don't know if this was intentional or a bug with the 23.10 mainline update. The fact that point blank shots no longer miss a target and shoot off to the side is fantastic, especially for arrows. However, I noticed over the weekend that if I fire from a bow while moving forward, the arrows curve down to the ground shortly after firing, and I don't mean the usual gravity fall off arrows have. I also see this when strafing left and right that the arrows curve towards the direction I'm moving. This causes distanced targets to be missed more now. I swear that strafing or moving forward before the main line the arrows went straight at where you were pointed until gravity caused them to finally dip. Anyone else seeing this?

I did find a way to very obviously show the "issue" in game:

Setup:
Ivara: energy Color is not blue or purple (Bright Green works well), 100% accuracy Artemis Bow

Captura: Chamber of the Lotus Scene, minimize scene lighting, grain, and disable depth of field. Stand at Lotus Platform end facing spawn. activate 0.1x Slow Mo

Action: Camera positioned on right, Artemis Bow Active, Strafe Left, Shoot bow without charging or aiming

This particular combination gets an extremely exaggerated curve on the arrow during its initial firing due to the aiming changes, though I think this is what was intended with the update, as it is curving from the initial weapon position onto the aiming sight line where it stays straight.

Click here for image

Edited by EquestrianWyvern
Linked to image as embed didn't like working

22 minutes ago, EquestrianWyvern said:

I did find a way to very obviously show the "issue" in game:

Setup:
Ivara: energy Color is not blue or purple (Bright Green works well), 100% accuracy Artemis Bow

Captura: Chamber of the Lotus Scene, minimize scene lighting, grain, and disable depth of field. Stand at Lotus Platform end facing spawn. activate 0.1x Slow Mo

Action: Camera positioned on right, Artemis Bow Active, Strafe Left, Shoot bow without charging or aiming

This particular combination gets an extremely exaggerated curve on the arrow during its initial firing due to the aiming changes, though I think this is what was intended with the update, as it is curving from the initial weapon position onto the aiming sight line where it stays straight.

Click here for image

oh god please dont let it be intended. it looks horrible. i would prefer to miss at point blank then have curving arrows. its so weird

@[DE]Rebecca Here is some video I took where if you watch the trails from the Rakata Cernos which is what i use the most when playing Ivara, you can definitely see a curvature. I have not tried using the Artemis Bow so thanks for that testing @EquestrianWyvern. Ivara and Rakata Cernos is where I noticed this over the weekend as well.

I didn't see a way of embedding the video here and its 33MB so I hope using my dropbox to link is it OK.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/21xzngkum4761q1/Warframe 10_15_2018 19_58_57.mp4?dl=0

But what if it IS right and it's just what we see when we move relative to the arrow's trajectory? The whole graphical representation is skewed 'cause the character isn't directly in the middle of the screen.

Consider this:

(let's disregard gravity) when we are stationary and throw a stone horizontally, we see it flying in a straight line.

Spoiler

2fuxFch.png

If we start to move sideways while the stone is still flying and looking at the point to which it flies, we add our speed and path to the stone's own, so in relation to us it has to fly a greater distance. If this happened in the blink of an eye, the stone's trajectory relatively to us would change from straight to diagonal.

Spoiler

0mqIrO7.png

And if it was a gradual motion, we would see it curve to the side.

Spoiler

lFxXxBJ.png

Edited by Bouldershoulder

@Bouldershoulder well it's an interesting academic point I think. To answer your question I dont think it's just gravity.  I expect the arrows to fall once they reach their range. 

What I see happening is a sideways curve of the arrow before reaching that gravity affect point. If you consider the player character moving, the enemies moving, client to host latency, it makes for much more complicated shooting. The arrow isn't quite going where the reticle is pointing. 

My video was solo and I was just firing at walls and still had sideways curve. I don't recall this curve before the main line update though.  The only straight shots come from standing still. 

@BouldershoulderNo, I don't believe it consistently is hitting where the reticle is pointing. Definitely try this when you get a chance. I don't think the frame you use matters, just a bow and arrows that you can see clearly when it fires. Shoot while walking or sprinting or strafing and see if you get more misses with a curved flight.

Thats part of what I'm having a hard time deciding. I was hoping Reb or another DE Dev would be able to tell from the posted videos of the regular bows and screen shot of the Artemis bow curve if it's graphical only or truly affecting the arrow flight. I'm not entirely convinced it's just gravity as BoulderShoulders states. Playing last night with the Rakta again felt like my shots were curving and missing enemies. 

18 hours ago, ShadarVieth said:

Thats part of what I'm having a hard time deciding. I was hoping Reb or another DE Dev would be able to tell from the posted videos of the regular bows and screen shot of the Artemis bow curve if it's graphical only or truly affecting the arrow flight. I'm not entirely convinced it's just gravity as BoulderShoulders states. Playing last night with the Rakta again felt like my shots were curving and missing enemies. 

Well, no. I said disregard gravity for the simplicity. Look at the video I posted in my previous comment. The arrows trajectory starts to bend only when I start to move. And, btw, it's not the trajectory but rather it's trace.

Edited by Bouldershoulder

Other people having now trouble as well? I'd just chalked it up to me using a worse pc, since my old one died and I'm borrowing a friends. But this could be why I can't seem to hit anything at range while moving. If it's intended I guess I'll have to learn how to work with it. 

Well several people in this thread claim they can see the bend, but we don't all agree on if it's intended, a side effect of fixing point blank range, physics, or an actual bug. I noticed last night while moving and shooting with Ballistica Prime that those shots seem to bend as well.  All that being said, with as many users as Warframe has that likely use some kind of arrow firing weapon, I would have expected more people speaking up.