Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Let's talk about Glaives

LarryYourWaiter

Question

Hello fellow Tenno,

so i'm interested to start using a glaive. 

i see they can be dual wielded.  what's the mechanics of this?  is our stance affecting the dual wield attacks?  

i think the Falcor would look awesome on my Nova.  but she's using Staticors.  is it a waste to not be dual wielding my glaive?  should i give her a kitgun or something instead?

Falcor vs Glaive Prime vs Halikor vs Cerata etc... what's the best?  why?

anything else i should know??

13 answers to this question

The stance will not matter. It attacks similar to the quick melee. It's really going to come down to personal choice for you. Play around with it and see if you like it. I recommend a pole arm over glaives as you'll get more bang for your buck, but if you end up liking the glaives than ho for it.

Personally, I save the glaives exclusively for Chroma to proc his power

Just now, Eathian said:

The stance will not matter. It attacks similar to the quick melee. It's really going to come down to personal choice for you. Play around with it and see if you like it. I recommend a pole arm over glaives as you'll get more bang for your buck, but if you end up liking the glaives than ho for it.

Personally, I save the glaives exclusively for Chroma to proc his power

i'm a polearm guy too, but every frame carries around the same plague kripath is a bit boring and I'm trying to sort of fashion-frame my weapons to the frame style...  

Power Throw adds the explosion damage on impact to the glaives which is how you use it to proc Chroma (with Quick Return). Be aware that you will self damage yourself if explosion is nearby and if you've pumped it up that explosion will likely take you out. Without Quick Return, or with Rebound in, this is less likely to happened. 

Glaive Prime is probably the best (IIRC when thrown it has a forced Slash proc). Cerata is also solid. I hear good things about the Falcor, not sure on it yet. Feels a bit slow compared to Glaive P. Halikar sucks, if you want a utility Glaive go for Kestrel as it forces knockdowns. I hear Orvius is a fun gimmick weapon, but a bit slow.

Power Throw is the big Glaive specific mod, it forces an explosion on the last hit/bounce. I wouldn't bother with Rebound for this reason, you want to hit something hard and get the weapon back ASAP. Run Quick Return instead.

You don't have to Dual Wield if you don't want to. The big advantage is running a Status secondary and a Condition Overload Glaive. Zakti is probably my favorite secondary to run with Glaives.

3 minutes ago, LarryYourWaiter said:

so there's no disadvantage to using a glaive with a 2-handed secondary using quick melee than compared to dual-wielding?  same effect, just looks different?

You can use the more powerful Charge Throw with dual-wielding, at no energy cost unlike when using the glaive primarily. This ups the damage and, in Orvius's case, allows for its special effect.

Most Glaives have a special effect when manually detonated and cannot be manually detonated unless dual wielding or using the stance.

The melee combos for dual wielding are not the same as stances. They have their own modifiers that tend to knock back and rag doll enemies.

You only get the special Charged Throw feature with dual wielding which besides increased stats has 1m Punch-Through. This makes Power Throw less important. When combined with manual detonation you can effectively hit the primary target twice by detonating the Glaive after it strikes. This also makes Quick Return less important since the Glaive will return on detonation.

The AoE from detonating a Glaive is not affected by Condition Overload or Combo counter but direct hits with the Glaive take advantage of both. Glaive Prime has a special place among the Glaive family as it can gain Combo meter very quickly without actually using it's melee attack via Relentless combination due to it's detonation having a forced Slash proc.

1 hour ago, Duavey said:

I hear Orvius is a fun gimmick weapon, but a bit slow.

Actually the Orvius is very comparable to the Glaive Prime.  It's only a bit slower than the Glaive P in regular melee attacks, but better tracking when thrown.  It also has a very nice charged throw that can take out groups of enemies depending on the build or elemental combo used.  A charged throw with a gas build Orvius will just wreck multiple enemies at once.  Even the highly armored Juggernaut with it vulnerable spots below or closed.  

On 2018-12-04 at 5:46 PM, Duavey said:

I hear good things about the Falcor, not sure on it yet. Feels a bit slow compared to Glaive P.

You don't have to Dual Wield if you don't want to. 

The falcor is awesome for its MR. Yeah it's a bit on the slow side, and probably works best with a frame that can increase attack speed (Valkyr, Volt).

You definitely want to dual wield it.