Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

A different perspective on Staticor

StiviRibar

Look guys, I get it. None of us like self-damage.

But you cannot deny that Staticor was a boring ass weapon. Just aim down at the floor and everything around you dies. Aiming? Not even once.

Yeah it was a STRONG weapon, but a boring one. The new Staticor fixed everything that was wrong with the old one and only added that one downside of self-damage.

And is this rly a downside? Id say it is just another case of GIT GUD SCRUB. Because nobody is forcing you to use that secondary fire when you have primary that is just as good.

And am I the only one who felt like the old secondary fire was very underwhelming? I mean there was no real purpose of using it other than the fun aspect of running next to the projectile. All that kamehameha charging only to unleash a slow ass sperm that deals S#&$ damage and has the impact of a balloon poping. The new one has much more impact and better effects. 

Now I might sound like that one guy who supports DE no matter what they do but that is not the case. Staticor was one of my main weapons, but I only used it when I was doing mindless farming or ESO. It was so damn boring I was falling asleep while using it. Currently it is my favorite secondary in the game. It is strong, needs skill and has that wow factor.

• Like 5

Sometimes i wish that we could see the logs of all weapon usage just so we could drawn in some info on exactly how many people use these self-damage weapons.

Now onto the main post, the staticor is still a skilless braindead weapon. Before the initial buffing it was "spam quickfire" after the buff it was "spam quickfire" and now its still "spam quickfire" with the addition that due to the absurdish danger of the charged shot its also not worth using.

I was not a long time staticor user, the weapon hit hard but the charge fire was useless and the quickmode causes RSI after the buff and the nerf literally nothing has changed. This weapon is still the gun you fire at your feet while charging forward.

I've come to realize there is a very vocal (I'm assuming minority) part of the community that is completely against engaging gameplay. Being able to cheese everything is the only reason they play warframe, which is odd seeing that you're not really 'playing' a game at a certain point of cheese. The self damage is a bit lame and could use tweaking, but it's understandable. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, StiviRibar said:

But you cannot deny that Staticor was a boring ass weapon. Just aim down at the floor and everything around you dies. Aiming? Not even once.

It was boring after the uncharged AoE boost made it counterproductive to do anything but spam.  Before that, it was one of the most interesting weapons in the game, between charged shots, uncharged shots, a kind of melee mode, and a different aesthetic than anything else.

Weapons don't have to have self damage to be engaging.

11 hours ago, Ker-Blammo said:

I've come to realize there is a very vocal (I'm assuming minority) part of the community that is completely against engaging gameplay. Being able to cheese everything is the only reason they play warframe, which is odd seeing that you're not really 'playing' a game at a certain point of cheese. The self damage is a bit lame and could use tweaking, but it's understandable. 

The people you talk about is not necessearly against engaging gameplay, but more against decreasing viability.

There are the remmants of the void system who gauge every weapon by their ability to kill mobs who deal +400% damage at base, the casual crowd who knows that warframe was never and will never be truly engaging, the opposers of the nerf brigade (you know the group of players who are not happy till everything is at mk1 weapon usability) and finally the fearful ones who know how good DE is at balancing and rather leave something in a broken state than let DE go and break it beyond usability.

The self-damage mechanic simply doesnt fit warframe at all. Most maps are small as hell, the enemies and players move in unpredictable ways, the latency can cripple your enjoyments and finally the most important the risk vs reward factor simply doesnt worked out and self-damage weapons rarely manage to actually worth using.

Trying Staticor after today's patch I'm loving it.  I'm sure it feels terrible to plenty of people who got used to it for the last few months, but to me, it's very satisfying.  The uncharged shots are still large enough that I can relax my aim.  The charged shots  have a purpose again, feel impactful, and are smoother to use than ever.

Maybe I'd have gotten used to it with self-damage, but I'm sure not missing it, or thinking, "What a boring weapon."

• Like 1

15 hours ago, StiviRibar said:

Look guys, I get it. None of us like self-damage.

Yeah it was a STRONG weapon, but a boring one. The new Staticor fixed everything that was wrong with the old one and only added that one downside of self-damage.

And is this rly a downside? Id say it is just another case of GIT GUD SCRUB. Because nobody is forcing you to use that secondary fire when you have primary that is just as good.

And am I the only one who felt like the old secondary fire was very underwhelming? I mean there was no real purpose of using it other than the fun aspect of running next to the projectile. All that kamehameha charging only to unleash a slow ass sperm that deals S#&$ damage and has the impact of a balloon poping. The new one has much more impact and better effects. 

Now I might sound like that one guy who supports DE no matter what they do but that is not the case. Staticor was one of my main weapons, but I only used it when I was doing mindless farming or ESO. It was so damn boring I was falling asleep while using it. Currently it is my favorite secondary in the game. It is strong, needs skill and has that wow factor.

Noone cared about the charged shot even when it had slightly less fancy particle effects, noone will care for it now especially with the self damage which is just enough to suicide but never had viable dps (charged fire is now just a secondary version lenz shot that doesnt crit 60% of the time and cant proc hunter munitions).

The thing people are angry over is that DE afked on it for 2 months and numerous patches later only nerfed it. Here is the thing tho. If Fulmination (and Firestorm) were actually good mods and increased the radius of aoe weapons by a flat 1.5~2m, noone would care since the quick fire already has comparable damage to all other top secondaries (atomos excluded since it makes up for lower dps with los chains) so a 8-11k (depending on if going flat damage or crit) loss for at least half the aoe it had.

24 minutes ago, Andele3025 said:

Noone cared about the charged shot even when it had slightly less fancy particle effects, noone will care for it now especially with the self damage which is just enough to suicide but never had viable dps (charged fire is now just a secondary version lenz shot that doesnt crit 60% of the time and cant proc hunter munitions).

The thing people are angry over is that DE afked on it for 2 months and numerous patches later only nerfed it. Here is the thing tho. If Fulmination (and Firestorm) were actually good mods and increased the radius of aoe weapons by a flat 1.5~2m, noone would care since the quick fire already has comparable damage to all other top secondaries (atomos excluded since it makes up for lower dps with los chains) so a 8-11k (depending on if going flat damage or crit) loss for at least half the aoe it had.

1- the self dmg is gone 
2- the charged shots are basically the new spammable ones. the charge is fast enough with lethal torrent that it's spammable along with increase flight speed. bomb away at a crowd with the charged, then kill off the survivors with the uncharged 
3- if these mods did that then they'll be flat out broken 

On 2018-12-20 at 10:08 AM, Tiltskillet said:

Trying Staticor after today's patch I'm loving it.  I'm sure it feels terrible to plenty of people who got used to it for the last few months, but to me, it's very satisfying.  The uncharged shots are still large enough that I can relax my aim.  The charged shots  have a purpose again, feel impactful, and are smoother to use than ever.

Maybe I'd have gotten used to it with self-damage, but I'm sure not missing it, or thinking, "What a boring weapon."

Totally agree. With Chimera Staticor I never bothered with the Charged Shot. It was slow to charge up even with Lethal Torrent and the projectile speed was terrible. Now I use both as per situation. If self damage remained I would've treated it like the Lenz in terms of how and when to fire. I'm just glad they removed it though.

Edited by Azrael_V