The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Does melee suck if you can't do combos?

peteed1985

Question

I've never been able to handdle the timing on combos with multiple buttons or where you need to pause between buttons so kinda wondering if melee sucks when you can't do those combos or if spamming the normal melee button when a melee weapon is equipped will be good with most weapons or what?

I kinda like Valkyr Prime or at least the idea of it but eternal war can't keep the buff up  so by the time I get to enemies I need to use it again 😞 probably because of my build (mods aren't all max yet) and Valkyr Prime not having formas yet but thing is I don't want to waste formas if she's gunna suck because I can't use combos

12 answers to this question

As long as you can maintain a high Combo Counter all your simple melee attacks (spamming E) deal lots of damage as well.

So no, you don't have to do Combos. Get your self Drifting Contact and Blood Rush and almost any enemy will die after a few E-Hits.

There's also the option with Condition Overload to get absurdly high damage 

Edited by GnarlsDarkley

4 minutes ago, NightmareT12 said:

Post your build so we can see how that is.

Melee works by spamming the E key. If the combo has a block attack, you can keep it pressed all the combo to get it to work because it's not a strict system like DMC or Ninja Gaiden.

Same if it has a forward, side or back direction.

TBH i'm not 100% sure I even built this I probably just threw random stuff on when leveling it lol. I had Valkyr before I had the Prime and haven't done much more but level this.

Was planning to use Venka Prime with it but no youtubers have builds up for Venka Prime 😞

jUKQJKp.png

4AaFhqR.png

You don't need to do combos for melee to be viable, but there are a few that are worth using. If any combo has a block in it, just hold the block button down for the whole combo and it will still count. Same goes for any combos that ask you to press a movement key. 

pause combos are tricky (and a bit poorly designed imo) because the timing on them changes based not only on the weapon type, but the attack speed of the weapon as well, even after attack speed mods are applied. The only way to properly use them is to memorise how long the pause is and at which part of the weapon animation you have to pause. As people have said though, it's not 100% necessary to learn that stuff. 

Hold combos have a similar issue, but it's worth noting that if a combo has a Hold directly after the first attack (ie E -> Hold E in the combo list), then just doing a charge attack as the start of the combo will still count, because charge attacks are always preceded by a normal attack. Other than that sort of combo it's mostly just timing again though.

Okay a couple suggestions: Take out Redirection and Speed Drift off Valkyr. Add in Rage or Hunter Adrenaline: She's a tank that has enough stats so as to regenerate energy while Hysteria is not active. Redirection will only put more shields onto you, while you want to take damage to health as quiskly as possible. Hysteria will allow to heal you.

Secondly, you'll need some Efficiency and Duration so Hysteria doesn't ramp up too quick. While it's true that Eternal War will keep Warcry going, the more the better as it will give you a bit more room to gain further seconds to add.

Rush on Exilus is not entirely needed, I'd recommend adding Power Drift (not sure if anyone else here has a better suggestion).

As for the claws you're building them right I believe: 2 elementals and Crit based (If you had Primed Pressure Point it'd be a bonus, but I guess you need more days 😛 ). I'd swear there's something lacking there though.

Am guessing we’re talking about melee stance combo. 

The answer is yes. Melee stance combo give you lots of multiplier. from damage multiplier, area of attack, to proc bonuses.

look for more info on each stance at the wikia.

hysteria stance for example: 

https://warframe.fandom.com/wiki/Hysteria_(Stance)

If i’m not mistaken this is what DE has been working on for the past few months. A way to simplify this combos and also a way to integrate other weapon with the melee. Because you’re not the only one who have problem making the rhythm. 

Edited by novalery

Melee is awesome even if u just spam quick attacks.

Most important part of melee is Combo Duration and Crit chance bonus based on combo multiplier.

Duration is the amount of time you have between attacks before your hit streak/combo multiplier resets.  Gladiator Rush is easiest mod to get for this(And gladiator mod set has combo/crit bonus).  The super rare stalker desciple mod Body Count gives even more time but u lose crit bonus from glad rush.  And lastly Naramon the melee centered focus school has a node that does a sort of same thing as duration.  If you drop your combo instead of it resetting it just starts reducing the hit streak count.

Duration is to let u build up a massive hit streak so yoou build a combo/damage multiplier.   Gladiator mods stack together to grant bonus Crit Chance base on the MULTIPLIER.  So the longer you whack on stuff the easier it gets to crit.  Crits have levels to.  Yellow -> Orange -> Red.  There is another rare stalker desciple mod called Blood Rush that is alot better than gladiator bonus.

I dont even use crit chance mod, instead i pack on gladiators and crit DAMAGE mods.

1. Body Count + Blood Rush is hard to get but best combo
  2. Gladiator Rush + as many other Gladiator mods as you can fit is next best thing.
  3. If Naramons combo duration works well enough you could free up a slot taken by a duration mod.  I'd prob add attack speed or base crit chance back in.  Eather would be super scary and could be better than 1 or 2!!

2 hours ago, Sziklamester said:

I am using quick melee mostly so for me not that important that have combos.

Pretty much this. 

I rarely equip melee weapons and have no problems killing things that need killed and insist on getting in your face. 

I vastly prefer shooting stuff, but quick melee has the very real virtues of not running out of ammo and being able to scrape things that want to get way too friendly off of you. 

• Like 1