Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Warframe : The Beginning and End of The Line.

RickyZen

Warframe.. such beautiful game with great potential, a game where i can spend hundreds of hours and never get bored, a game that help me and teach me to not spend money for a virtual lootboxes with low chance of getting valuable items and cosmetics and instead work for it. Warframe really breaks my perception of "there's no developer out there willing to give their game a chance for free players" and changed it to "if you want to get it, work for it". and help me saving my money for something much better than a virtual gamble of lootboxes.

THE BEGINNING.

before i know Warframe, before i knew about this beautiful game.. i was an MMORPG player that's been bullied and suffered for a long time. not because of a mistake i've made but because of how i play the MMORPG. i play the game in a "free player" style, meaning that im not spending any money and only joining events to get what i want (Items, Costume, Etc) and because of my playstyle. i got myself struggling to improve my character in the game because i can't get any help and im forced to do dungeons and raids solo. days by days, weeks by weeks im solo dungeon and raids until i got mentally exhausted and decided to end my MMORPG career (my MMORPG account was worth around $120 at that time) and move on to another game. so i start registering for Steam and look for free-to-play MMORPG game that didn't force a free player to spend any money for the game to be good player (Pay 2 Win) and then i came across Warframe. this game consistently appear on my Free-to-Play search as the best Free-to-Play game and so i visited the page and see what the game is all about. at first sight this game gives me a weird vibe as the character looks like a humanoid robot with flexibility and agility, but it also gave me a great interest as the game offers unique weapons with unique design and ability (including variety of classes) so i downloaded the game to see if its a true free-2-play game or another pay-2-win free to play game just like the MMORPG i've once played. (im not going to tell the name of the MMORPG, unless permitted)

FIRST STEP INTO THE GAME.

after registering a new account for Warframe and finishing the download, i hit the play button and start the game. (that time the launcher was showing newest Warframe, Octavia. along with its newest quest Octavia's Anthem) and log into the game for the first time. then the game intro starts, showing me a movie similar to the same trailer i see when i first visit Warframe's website. the game's already impress me with the quality of graphic detail in the intro (light, texture, bloom effect and animation) and the sound effect the game has. (ship sound, footsteps, environment sounds) the intro is kinda long (not too long) but then after that i got to choose 3 class/warframe to start, which instantly strikes me with familiarity from another MMORPG. the 3 starting class are Excalibur, Volt, and Mag. (first time playing, i see them as "Warrior", "Priest", and "Sorceress".) and then i spend some seconds reading the description of this 3 classes. Excalibur is a class suitable for close-range combat (Warrior), Volt is a class for long range damage skill (Priest) and Mag is suitable for support and weakens enemies (Sorceress). Excalibur is the one i choose due to my previous MMORPG character was a Warrior. and the fact that Excalibur is balanced for Offensive and Defensive. and after that the game truly start..

THE GAMEPLAY.

the first taste of Warframe gameplay, i already got myself surprised by the game's mechanic that some of it is familiar. it has Skills to use against enemies, Rank up system similar to that RPG level system, Gore that is not too bloody but gruesome and satisfying to see, and movement so smooth and fast yet complex. seeing all that mechanic im starting to believe i have just downloaded and playing a promising game that will lead me to a new, high-quality gaming experience that i should've played before. (a quality that i never get from my previous MMORPG career)
the tutorial is actually easy too, it teach me how to slide under small gap, jumping, sprinting and all the basic mechanic of the game. the tutorial also gave me the first taste of weapon mechanism of Warframe. i got myself to choose Assault Rifle or Bow, Pistol or Kunai, and Sword or Staff. this part really gave me answer of what is this game about. and that answer instantly gave me full grip of the game. the answer is simple, this is no different than the same Third-Person FPS Action game i've once played before on PS2 (funny, a classic game knowledge) only with extra RPG mechanism.
i finally finished the tutorial and got myself into the game. at first i was confused what to do next but luckily after some dialogue, a waypoint shows up on my screen telling me where to go (this waypoint system is similar to old PS2 RPG games) and realized im still in tutorial area. now this part (part where you have to go to mission navigation and choose the mission on the top-right corner to continue) is where i got the full taste of Warframe's gameplay as i finally got into the first mission of the game. this is where i realized that Warframe is Action-Packed game due to its fast movement, weapon choice and skill to use to kill enemies, with extra bit of RPG for its rank up system. i instantly fall in love with this game as i play it more and more.. until i truly finished the tutorial and finally be able to start my journey into the game.

FALL IN LOVE WITH THE GAME.

this is where i got myself stuck, where to go next? what should i do now? and what is my next mission? all of this question appears in my mind right after finishing the tutorial due to lack of direction of where to go (that time there is no direction to open planet junction like what we have now) so i saw the game's chatbox filled with so many players chit-chatting and start to ask some help on the chatbox, hoping to get some helping hands (i still have trauma from the previous MMORPG due to bullying). a minute after posting my help question into the chatbox, someone whisper me through the whisper chat channel (forgot the nickname) and asking if im a new player of this game. i said yes and then he instantly says "i'll help you" and invite me to his party. after that he welcomes me into the game and teach me about everything (from the game itself to the goal of the game) and that solves my lack of direction of what to do and where to go. he also tells me to "don't mind asking some help in the chat" and tells me that the game has the best community in the gaming community (and it wasn't lie, i ask around internet of what is the best gaming community in the internet and almost 80% of the answer i got is Warframe) after that he helps me finishing some mission and getting some weapons i needed before he tells me to go solo and learn the game by myself. with the knowledge given by that player and full grip of this game mechanism.. i finally start a new career in this game..

THE CAREER OF MY JOURNEY.

i have spend 396 hours into the game and let me tell you, from Hour 1 the game has already make me happy and satisfied. with variety of Warframe (Class) to chase and craft, variety of weapons to get and planet junction to open up. all of it can be earned through 2 choice : spend some money to get the weapon or work for it. and like i said, im a "Free player" type so i work for the weapons that i want. and 100% of my effort getting those weapons is all satisfying. from 3-burst assault rifle, huge pipe shotgun, 6x zoom sniper rifle, to a Launcher that shoots molten iron ball. all of them is so good and powerful, and the part where the weapons can be upgraded through card deck-like upgrade system. at first im using all the mods i have and just put it into the weapon without considering the function of the mod. but as the time passes i learn that the mod has purposes and if one use the mod correctly,  can greatly enhance the weapon's damage. and it was right. im able to one shot a squad of enemies really fast after putting some damage and critical mod into the upgrade system. days by days i keep playing warframe and learning parkour, walking on hanging wire (ziplining), hacking, stealth killing, combos and rising up my mastery rank. with that i also discover where to get certain warframe, where to get certain weapons, and where to get certain parts, ingredients, and items to upgrade my weapons and improving my mastery rank. all of it has led me to this time. where im now Mastery Rank 11 and now has tasted some of best weapons i found in the game, and best warframe that suit my playstyle. all of this progress is not even a grinding hard thanks to the community that helps me on the way. im always getting help from players who join into my mission and helps me finishing it quickly without judging my mastery rank, equipment and stuff (hell, this was all true in the MMORPG i mentioned previously, if you have low/bad equipment and level, you'll not getting any help at all).

WITNESSING THE GAME IMPROVE MORE AND MORE.

i saw the game's improvement time to time, and i witness it all.. i have witnessed the release of Harrow, the Paladin warframe. and its quest, Chains of Harrow. and saw so many improvement that comes with it. this game constantly improving and improving to the point i was mind-blowned when i saw Warframe's first attempt at Open world experience, Plains of Eidolon. that time the Plains of Eidolon was a big bomb to the community and also mark the point where Warframe has started its first step towards "Big Gameplay" improvement. (hell i even witness the game is being advertised at Times Square, along with post from dev team on twitter) this Plains of Eidolon update is also the point where i found names such as Mogamu, SlapStickLogic, and many more.
this also true for me, from the first play the game has this one similar pattern, which is fighting enemies on corridors, halls, and rooms. which makes the gameplay looks consistently packed and isolated. with the plains of eidolon it gives me breath of fresh, new gameplay of being in an open space filled with something new and distracting from combat (fishing, mining and hunting) but of course the combat is the main component of my gameplay so i take some mission and head out to taste the first open combat. after around 3 days experiencing Plains of Eidolon i am satisfied with it and return to my progress-improving mission and activities. after that i witness the next 2 big improvement of the game, The Sacrifice with its new warframe, Excalibur Umbra. and Fortuna. the second open world filled with robots and new fresh open world experience. and that Fortuna update is the one that gave me the mark to start considering my choice of future self..

FORTUNA, THE POINT OF ENDLINE.

Fortuna is a second open world update for Warframe, and also the most biggest open world in Warframe (twice the size of Plains of Eidolon, maybe more) located in Venus, this is an underground factory filled with robots that is forced to work endlessly for a greedy Corpus Richmen named "Nef Anyo". when Fortuna released, i already spend 310 hours into the game and reaching Mastery Rank 10 with decent weapon and Umbra Excalibur. but then comes the unexpected.. right when i enter Orb Vallis (the open world map) my PC can't handle it, stutters, lag, and even freezing (not a pun but perfect word) forcing me to exit the game and re-enter the Orb Vallis only for getting 2-3 second hang during gameplay. at day 1 this was tolerable for me but more and more i play, days by days passed and more updates to the Fortuna makes my PC can't handle it more and more, more stutters, more lags, more freezing.. until i realize this could be my endgame.. this could be my "Point of Endline", the point where i have to stop playing this game, stop my gaming career and start working for real-life job.. and it was right.. an update to Fortuna carry a news about Warframe's intention to start abandoning the old DirectX and 32-bit has arrived. and that is the answer for the "Point of Endline" i have to face then.. and that news is the key for me to consider start getting job and end my gaming career.

END OF THE LINE.

by the time i post this thread, my "Point of Endline" has been confirmed. Warframe's Developer has truly set the course for abandoning those old DirectX and 32-bit system and start moving on to 64-bit with latest Direct X. this of course, is a necessary movement for Warframe to improve much more without being limited by old OS and DirectX. but this movement will also sacrifice some players who still playing on 32-bit system, rendering them unable to play this game without upgrading to 64-bit. and that is also true for me because my PC is actually scrapyard-crafted, meaning that the parts (HDD,  RAM, VGA, Motherboard) are all from scrap yard, 4gb Ram, broken VGA (1gb on 1366 x 768 monitor but 2gb on bigger monitor that support 1920 x 1080), and repaired old 2005 HDD is all i have when i play Warframe. and it was all going smooth until Fortuna confirms my Endgame. and i finally tasted the game enough for me to consider ending my warframe career and start working on real-life job..

QUESTION FOR MYSELF : IS THIS GAME TRULY FREE TO PLAY?

when i play Warframe, my friends keep asking me to come back to the MMORPG that i've ended, and i refuse and instead tell them to play Warframe, at first they are refusing but as the time passed they decided to ask me about Warframe, i tell them all i know about the game and then 2 days later they ask me how to register a Warframe account. i help them and i teach them all i know about the game and soon they impressed and start moving on to Warframe and stop playing the MMORPG. they keep asking me questions about weapons, warframes and all the thing about the game and i tell them all and guess what? they love it, they love it so much that they asked me to create a clan in-game so that they can chat and recruit other player. i made the clan with the name "RedWave" and they start progressing into the game more and more.. my friends join me into the game when Plains of Eidolon is still a new update (the Launcher is still showing Gara and the Plains that time) and i spend most of my play time helping them to progress.. and when Fortuna released they already have prime weapons and warframes from relics that they have opened (they even spend so many cash to purchase some prime weapons and warframes, even Prime Access) and they have already progress into getting Paracesis and killling the three Eidolon easily. and then i start to see that they no longer ask me about anything (except Riven mod, they still ask me the mission difficulty and what to do) they no longer need my help and able to play the game by themselves, giving me a confirmation that they no longer need me for the rest of their gameplay now.. and for the answer of the question, i can confirm that this game is truly the best Free to Play game i've ever seen, the developer of this game are truly honest with their "Free to Play" marketing that everything in the game can be achieved just by playing. without spending any money. but if you spend some money to this game. the value in return is greater than you pay. let's say if you pay $100 for some platinum (in-game premium currency) not only you get platinum enough for buying some newest weapons and warframes, but you also support the developer greatly for development of the game, so its a money well spent, win-win situation.

QUESTION 2 : WHAT DO I THINK ABOUT THIS GAME?

this game is a masterpiece for me, a perfect free to play game with greatest community i've ever seen. the game is so good that you'll never bored to play this game again and again. with the graphic quality on par with modern AAA games, huge content, a big variety of weapons and warframes, and constant new feature and updates makes the game feel really good and huge. if i have to say how worthy this game is, i would say that this game is a free AAA games for your steam library.

QUESTION 3 : HAVE I EVER ENCOUNTER TOXIC PLAYER IN THIS GAME?

toxic player is what makes a game being hated, ruined, and disrespected. and i have seen so many toxic player that im already getting used to their toxical mouth. in Warframe i never encounter any toxic player that ruins my gameplay, but for toxic player that straight saying "F-you" or "F-off" to me? yes i have, so far i encounter 3 toxic player in my gameplay career and the most recent (last one) is when i asking for help getting certain mod for my weapon that i don't know where can i get it, i keep asking and asking until someone (still remember the name, will not tell unless permitted) whisper me and straight saying "F-off noob"  to me, that is something inappropriate so i report that player with Offensive language and tell him to chill out.. well he choose to keep telling me to F-off and stop asking any help. i was want to retaliate with more offensive reply but considering this game has rule on offensive language, im forced to obey his request and look for the mod by myself (which i got after doing some excavation mission while opening relic with random squad) so my answer is.. yes, i have encounter some toxic player in the game but very rarely (around 1 in 200 missions, change to 1 in 500 after Fortuna release) and when you encounter one, it is best to report them rather than replying to their toxical mouth.

QUESTION 4 : WHY AM I ENDING MY WARFRAME CAREER?

like i said before, im now considering to get a job and start making money for upgrading my PC. as the developer news said about 32-bit and old DirectX abandon, my PC is considered unable to play the game and thus must be upgraded to get the game running smoothly. will i return to this game? yes of course. this game has special place in my heart now. and i can't forget those beautiful moments in the game.

LAST QUESTION : BEST MOMENTS IN WARFRAME?

there's so many moments in Warframe that i cannot forget, from the first time killing a boss (Vay Hek) to the first time entering Orb Vallis at Day 1 of Fortuna. so many memories has been carved into my mind that when i remember it again, it gave me happiness and urge to play Warframe again and make that happen again. the most favorite moment for me is when im AFK in my orbiter and watching the Public chat conversation turn into field of memes and butt discussion. (i still remember that time when Garuda just released and the whole public chat user is just straight discussing Garuda's butt, some of them even spamming words like "THICC", "JUICY BUTT" and "Garudass" ) since then my chat is always set on public chat to see what memes and discussion they can offer. and next one is a typo i've made when i try to ask how to fight ambulas (Corpus robot boss), so that time i want to fight Ambulas on Pluto but i need this one ingredient named "Animo Nav Beacon" and i don't know where can i get it so i ask the public chat how to get it. but instead of writing "Animo Nav Beacon" on the chat, i write "Anime Nav Beacon" and that instantly turn the whole public chat into memes chat ( i can't forget that one player said "are Corpus weebs now?" in middle of that memes) and those 2 moments really stick in my mind and makes me laugh every time. (Thank you TennoMemer)

LAST MESSAGE.

as this is my last post on Warframe forum before ending my warframe career, i want to say thank you to Digital Extreme for this beautiful game and Warframe Community who helps me and keeping this game awesome. so many things i have seen and experienced on Warframe and i love every single of it. so many moments, negativity of toxic players, and awesomeness of cooperation of Tenno Community i have seen that keep inspiring me to play more of this game has led me to this moment where i reach the true goal of my Warframe career, the Endgame.
so many moments, happy or sad, i have seen in this game's journey has inspire me to enjoy the life more than before. and of course, the generosity and kindness of Warframe community has healed me from negativity of online gaming. but the time has passed and now its time for me to cross the line of Endgame and continue my career in the real-life. but deep inside my heart i will always remember one game that saved me from lootbox gambling of modern gaming along with its community who has helped me escape from negativity and toxical side of online gaming community.

MY NAME IS RICKY VAN A.K.A RICKYZEN AND I HAVE FINISHED MY GAMING CAREER IN WARFRAME.
I HAVE REACHED MY ENDGAME AND NOW ITS TIME FOR ME TO END MY CAREER
THANK YOU. AND SIGNING OUT.

RICKYZEN (2017 - 2019)

• Like 1

Holy wall of text Batman.

All I could make out was that your computer sucks and can't handle the upcoming sysreq lift, and you've got no money. Therefore, you're gonna go get a job to get more money so you can come back.

Which is fair enough. Good luck to you.

• Like 2

You might be back sooner than expected...

They are not pushing up the req that high... I got my hands on a second hand office computer that they change every 3 years (because of budget and not because they were outdated) and I just asked for it and they gave it to me for free as they were throwing them away anyways. 

It runs orb vallis just fine, albeit you hear the fans going full throttle every now and then and it's super hot (It's one of those very compact PC that are smaller than a Wii with about the same dimensions), so I let it cool down 1h every 4h on week ends and I get to do some exercises and eat while waiting. 

If I recall, they bought them 800€ back then, it shouldn't be too expensive... But maybe you should aim a bit higher so you can have it longer, the one before lasted me 8 years before both the graphic card and the HDD went kaput (Coincidentally they threw away the PCs). I didn't get a top of the line PC but I decided to buy well above average at that time, lasted me long enough to be worth the extra money I (my mom) paid back then. 

• Like 1

I came here expecting something completely different. Wow. That was a fun read. Also an Excalibro. You joined when Octavia was released. I joined when Nova Prime dropped (the first prime frame I acquired), left for some months, returned during Chroma's release. I feel old and there are older players (in WF years) than both of us.

I think what I like the most is that you not only enjoyed yourself, but that Warframe was an antidote to the toxic community you'd come from. 

Thanks, Ricky, and yeah, you'll be back.

9 hours ago, (XB1)Thy Divinity said:

I've never seen a thread more in need of a TL:DR

Yeah. Definitely, but it's actually worth the read.

9 hours ago, KnossosTNC said:

Holy wall of text Batman.

All I could make out was that your computer sucks and can't handle the upcoming sysreq lift, and you've got no money. Therefore, you're gonna go get a job to get more money so you can come back.

Which is fair enough. Good luck to you.

Give it another read if you get time. It's more about his journey from one toxic community to this one, and how much he appreciates the experiences he had here. 

Some people are masters of brevity. Some people aren't and are longwinded. It's all self-expression. Tell your story, express yourself, and do you. The dude ain't hurtin' nobody. 

Edited by Rhekemi

20 minutes ago, Rhekemi said:

Give it another read if you get time. It's more about his journey from one toxic community to this one, and how much he appreciates the experiences he had here. 

Some people are masters of brevity. Some people aren't and are longwinded. It's all self-expression. Tell your story, express yourself, and do you. The dude ain't hurtin' nobody. 

Didn't say he was, nor was I asking him to shorten his post. As a sometimes writer of TLDR forum posts myself, it would be hypocrisy to do so. I was simply expressing my astonishment and reason for any possible misinterpretation. I skimmed through it the best I could.

But if you say so, maybe I will give it another read.

Edited by KnossosTNC

@KnossosTNC ,

In that same post, I agreed with another member that he needed a TL;DR.

Before I hit submit reply, I removed a line addressing the last paragraph to future comments as something to keep in mind. Guess I should've left it in. It wasn't aimed at you, or anyone who has posted.

Edited by Rhekemi