Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Gaze: help with the build please.

--Aegis--MR9

Question

My biggest issue with Gaze is it run out of magazine too quickly. Pax Charge is a big help but I still dont like it. 

My current build is Ramble+Splat. Its not the best damage wise but damage isnt the issue. 43 magazine feels too small and 1.7 reload speed still feels too long. I am running around, killing bunch of trash mobs, I stop firing, pax charge instantly kicks in, and I am stuck until it take its sweet time to reload, this is a big annoyance that I never felt with ignis wraith. 

I am thinking about building a new gaze.  

Haymaker + Killstream = 31 Mag 1.3 Reload
Haymaker + Splat = 43 Mag 1.7 Reload

Pax Charge scales with Reload speed. Lower reload speed means it will work faster. 

I can live with lower mag if the reload is "very fast" or slower reload if the mag is very big. 43 Mag is a joke for a beam weapon, specially if you add mods like lethal torrent. 

What would you suggest? 

Edit: Doing some test with Stunning Speed which adds 40% reload speed resulting in 0.9 reload. This is definitely a lot better. 

Edit 2: I did some more tests and interesting fact is, after adding Pax charge, reload speed do not go below 0.9. If your base reload is 1.3 or lower, adding pax charge will make it 0.9. 

Edit 3: Haymaker is probably not the best choice, just found out about range. Rumble looks good overall.

Edit 4: I think I reached my own conclusion. Sacrificing magazine for faster reload speed is definitely the way to go. 0.9 sec reload is very much tolerable. I would still love to  hear your opinion.

Edited by MR9BCI

12 answers to this question

I went for Splat myself for more focused killing potential. I have one Splat one Bashrack and one Killstream

The reload on Splat is 1.1 with Pax Charge and as you said 0.9s with Killstream. The difference is pretty small but I used a Riven and Primed Expel to remove Lethal Torrent and make the 43 mag size feel much better. Primed Expel is an option Riven or not since Multishot is only a damage multiplier for beam weapons.

I have a video of that actually if you want to see how if "feels". ie Time spent firing which sounds like your main concern.

This is Haymaker + Bashrack for Armor.

Edited by Xzorn
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Xzorn said:

IThe reload on Splat is 1.1 with Pax Charge and as you said 0.9s with Killstream. The difference is pretty small but I used a Riven and Primed Expel to remove Lethal Torrent and make the 43 mag size feel much better. Primed Expel is an option Riven or not since Multishot is only a damage multiplier for beam weapons.

Thank you so much. Yes the difference is only 0.2 seconds. And its fine reloading after firing an entire clip like you did. But its a huge annoyance when you are in regular missions, killing random enemies here n there, it starts to reload that 10 ammo u spent and this adds up.  

I dont plan to use lethal torrent at all, I think magnum force is a good choice. It does massive damage already.

Edited by MR9BCI

• using anything other than Ramble with Gaze is a major mistake, IMO. between Haymaker and Ramble you basically pay about 20% DPS for basically double Range. i just don't really see any world where not being able to reach basically the entirely of almost any room you're in isn't worth having over a bit more DPS.
  • personally i think Splat is just fine. because Pax Charge makes the Reload Delay 1.1333sec. which is pretty solid for my desires.
    • i am a bit biased here, as i do have a Riven that gives me a total of 4 Meters of Punch-Through, basically meaning if something that can die is between me and where i'm pointing, i'm going to hit it. especially with the 37m Range. 
    • swapping for Killstream doesn't seem worth it to me. 43 vs 31 for Magazine, and 1.1333 vs 0.8666 for Reload Delay. just shy of 270ms faster(about 23% faster), but also losing a bit over 25% of your maximum firing time. i just didn't feel like i was gaining enough in Reload Delay to make up for having a significantly shorter max burst time.
  • however, i don't use Lethal Torrent on my Gaze. there's other Damage Mods i can use that give a good amount of Damage per Ammo increase, without also increasing Fire Rate which i am not in need of with this Weapon.

personally, i don't have any complaints with my uptime using Ramble, Splat, no Lethal Torrent. i deal some pretty high Damage even before the Continuous Beam warms up, i get lots of Status for free while getting maximum Crits. and then nowadays it also chains to nearby things that aren't in direct line with the beam.
tl;dr it does plenty of Damage for me. and my Riven is mostly Utility, rather than DPS.

idunno. basically i'm not all that concerned about hitting some theoretical uptime ratio, the amount of death that i get out of my shooting also factors in to whether i care about how long that i'm shooting.
and i get plenty of death, so i don't mind.

@taiiat I think a lot depends on play style. I like to take breaks between firing instead of firing continuously (most of the time). But I am very much conflicted here. While the 0.2 second reload time doesnt seem much on paper, only 31 mag seems horrible. But I tested both reload speed and killstream seems better, it could be all in my head to be honest. Am I going to make another kitgun and 7 forma it just to test it out? I donno 😞

Edited by MR9BCI

1 hour ago, Arkennstar said:

If you're churning through your magazine very quickly, avoid using [Lethal Torrent]. Its a useful mod, but its kinda unnecessary on Gaze. Or instead you can use Creeping Bullseye.

What about Magnum Force?

40 minutes ago, MR9BCI said:

What about Magnum Force?

Magnum Force is fine. It's a 51% increase in damage. The cheaper alternative to Primed Expel.

Beam weapons tend to have negligible difference with -%Accuracy.

• Like 1

I don't really stream anymore due to family stuff and health issues, but here is a quick video I whipped up for you. Same build I was using back in Dec 22nd or so of 2018. 

There is a non riven build shown,  since duplicating a riven is difficult to say the least. I mention the parts I used in the video. 

I have Tombfinger + Haymaker + Killstream..

its an amazing balance between power, precision and reload speed.

pinpoint accurate at any range, hits like a truck, and reloads in the blink of an eye. try it out imo

Edited by bullgrimwm