Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Auto Fail Timers are the worst.

Morningrise

So me and my friends just got bamboozled by the "Mission failure imminent" thing, which led to us losing our [Vengeful Revenant] mods plus our Gas City scenes. As soon as we got that message I started running to the exit, but because we were in Gas city, I was still 1.5k+ meters away. You wouldn't believe how bitter and resentful of the game that made me. I guess that's how this game rewards us for exploring its tilesets. You know why we lost all of it? Well brace yourselves, because I have a list.

1. Because we were trying to find the last Corpus cache in an exterminate mission. First of all, why there hell are there auto fail timers in missions with hidden secret caches? Do you know how hard it is to find those in Gas City, which is over 2 kms in length and has an insane amount of vertical exploration that can be done?

2. Is it really fair to have a 1 minute timer on a map that's 2000m+ long? If you went back (like I did) to check the beginning of the map for the last cache, how the hell are you expected to get to the end within 1 minute?

3. Why are there caches in an exterminate mission at all? It feels like we got baited. You know what the sad part is? We still don't know where that stupid last cache is. Maybe it never even spawned because the game bugged out.

4. The mission was over. We completed the objective. Why is this considered a fail and why are we punished and lose all our loot? The mission was a success, kick us out then as though we extracted and give us our loot.

5. So 2 of my friends were standing on the extraction point so their extraction timer had started. In addition to the mission failure one. Why one of those timers doesnt overwrite the other one is beyond me, honestly. I would've gladly abandoned my loot, aborted the mission, forced one of them to become the host so they could extract and get their stuff if I didn't get confused by their timer right in front of my face as I was rushing to the exit in a panic. Their extraction timer said 17 seconds, while the autofail timer said 2 seconds. 

6. If the timer starts when you kill the last mob and it only gives you about 15 minutes, why doesnt the god damn timer start at that exact moment? Why the hell isn't there a 15 minute timer then? Or at least a 10 or 5 minute one? Why is it only 1 minute like you're trying to trap your own players?

At the very least this timer should be visible at all times or removed. Yes I've read how this is supposed to limit some exploits, but I will still disagree that that justifies this system. I'd maybe feel like this system is needed if this game had dedicated servers. But if I'm hosting a game for my friends and we're exploring the map, as long as I'm the server I should be able to spend as much time as I want in there. 

This was a truly infuriating and frustrating experience and left a very bitter aftertaste. Not sure if I ever want to revisit Gas City. 

while i see the Timer as superfluous in Exterminate as there's just nothing to stay in forever and farm for (since the Enemies run out), it is also intentionally pretty long.

auto succeeding would open up the possibility to skip parts of a Mission once you have __ that you want, that's not any better and overall definitely worse.

(Caches always Spawn though, like some other Spawnable things they will always Spawn because if something goes wrong like it runs out of map to decide to place them in, they just get dumped anywhere as a measure to force them to always Spawn)

... You do know that this problem can easily be avoided by "Not killing everyone in the map first before exploring", right?

The approach of "ignore objectives completely unless its physically rubbed, not waypointed to, on my face and explore the map" I always take works every time.

Edited by Uhkretor

Why hide "mission failure imminent" 15 minute timer until the last minute? I rather have a timer always visible all the time, like how a Nightmare's timer modifier always show a timer.

Update 18.5 have added a hidden 15 minute timer way back then, that do not get cancelled and only restarts the timer on kills, and occurs on multiple game types like sabotage, assassination, rescue, mobile defense, capture, spy, and possibly more. But this mission failure imminent does not happen in Free roam Plains of Eidolon or Orb Vallis.

There are other topics about this:
https://forums.warframe.com/topic/905296-mission-failure-imminent-annoyance/
https://forums.warframe.com/topic/1101913-mission-failure-imminent-needs-to-go/
https://forums.warframe.com/topic/1006116-mission-failure-imminent-during-assassination/

I've heard a lot about this infamous ''Fail Timer'' in missions. 

I normally play solo so I can scout out any Ayatans or Rare containers in the tile, but no matter how slow I run the mission I personally have never come across this timer. 

It sounds overly harsh to kick players out of a mission and force them to drop all their precious loot. 

And how bizarre that you fail like you've died even when you've successfully completed your mission objective. 

13 hours ago, Uhkretor said:

... You do know that this problem can easily be avoided by "Not killing everyone in the map first before exploring", right?

The approach of "ignore objectives completely unless its physically rubbed, not waypointed to, on my face and explore the map" I always take works every time.

Amazing solution. I wish I knew how do avoid a "feature" of this game without knowing that this "feature" existed in the first place. Galaxy brain right here boyo. 

2 hours ago, Morningrise said:

Amazing solution. I wish I knew how do avoid a "feature" of this game without knowing that this "feature" existed in the first place. Galaxy brain right here boyo. 

Your situation is the result of hitting the objectives first than otherwise.

Since what I do is -always- the opposite of what's usually "advertised", so to speak, I never bump into things that are usually "a problem"... And since I also perform actions like they're "supposed" to do, I never end up triggering obscure "bugs" that people trigger on purpose by performing actions they're not supposed to do, and then complain when DE fixes those because "they break the fun"...

So yeah, if the only difference between what happens to me all the time and what happened to you is simply "objective relevance prioritization", its a hell of an amazing solution.

This, however, only applies to Exterminate missions. Depending on the mission type, such prioritization will most likely differ, but my approach is still the same for all of them.

Edit: This timer is supposed to be an "AFK timer" for those idiots that stand near the extraction, but not on the extraction area, holding back the whole squad... Its trigger is quite simple. If you're not killing within 15 minutes, you're AFK, therefore 1 minute to find and kill an enemy. If there are no enemies, well... That's your problem...

Edited by Uhkretor

2 minute AFK timer not moving "Not eligible due to inactivity" or no Sortie mission completion, but that is a different timer.

Going back to mission failure imminent timer, the oldest topics I found is back in 2016. It appears to do more harm to players, mostly newer players that don't know about this hidden timer that only shows itself up at the last minute.

March 4, 2016: https://forums.warframe.com/topic/618642-update-185-sands-of-inaros- / This update added mission failure imminent timer, then bugs or complaints shows up after related to this timer showing up on multiple different mission types.

June 29, 2016: https://forums.warframe.com/topic/665251-mission-failure-imminent/
August 29, 2016: https://forums.warframe.com/topic/693939-mission-failure-imminent-eliminate-remaining-targets/
September 22, 2016: https://forums.warframe.com/topic/701972-mission-failure-imminent-eliminate-all-remaining-targets-bug/

The afk timer was implemented before the extraction changes. It's presence in the game is questionable now.

People do objectives first because some missions teach you to--Capture, Mobile D, Defense, just off the top of my head--because other timers/failure events will trigger regardless of whether you were trying to start the objective or not.

The Feedback in his OP is that the timer sucks and he had no prior knowledge that it even existed--which happens to also show why your "I do things opposite" argument doesn't really matter, because you began doing those as a result of said knowledge.

Don't really feel like getting more into it than that, but your whole post is really ranty and condescending for the wrong reasons.

One more thing I found is, the newer Jupiter gas city is just very huge. Jupiter gas city capture mission is frequently a whole lot slower then other capture missions.

Extraction too far away is a problem. Not killing the enemies also have a problem, takes too long to go all the way back to where the enemies are left behind on Jupitor gas city, which can cause the "Mission failure immiment" to fail the mission anyway, on most mission types. So, the "Mission failure immiment" timer does more harm on huge maps.

11 hours ago, sam686 said:

One more thing I found is, the newer Jupiter gas city is just very huge. Jupiter gas city capture mission is frequently a whole lot slower then other capture missions.

Extraction too far away is a problem. Not killing the enemies also have a problem, takes too long to go all the way back to where the enemies are left behind on Jupitor gas city, which can cause the "Mission failure immiment" to fail the mission anyway, on most mission types. So, the "Mission failure immiment" timer does more harm on huge maps.

It does more harm than good in nearly all cases these days, because now we can extract much more freely instead of one troll holding the squad hostage for another 40 minutes.

Edited by FrostDragoon