The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Magnetic Proc needs work, I have an idea

Skaleek

So, with the advent of Kuva weapons and being able to choose our element i noticed that magnetic was one of the choices. I'm guessing that like me, all of you out there are like... "Why the hell would i ever mod for magnetic... ever?". Its a fair question. I think of the combined status effects, magnetic is largely regarded as the weakest and least useful status. Now there's always that one special snowflake who mods for magnetic and toxin, citing that their build is great for shredding corpus, I hate to break it to you but its the toxin shredding the corpus. Anyways, I have an idea to turn the magnetic proc into something that could make for a very interesting mechanic.

Okay so let me preface this by saying my suggestion is for an entirely defensive status mechanic. It wont increase damage dealt. In a looter shooter, damage is king, so keep that in mind before you go posting "But Skaleek that is so overpowered". Anyways without further delay, my suggeston is....

Shield vamp. Yep. It would be the first "healing" type status effect. Armored enemies/Shielded enemies affected by a magnetic status proc could either return a portion of their shields/armor "drained" by magnetic or a static number (obviously balancing is a factor here, and no i am not saying their armor would be reduced). This would create a sort of "life strike" effect on shields, opening up avenues to mod frames like mag, hildryn, or even frames with a tiny bit of shields, if they are using a high status weapon it will provide them with a constant temporary health barrier. I personally think that it should be able to bring you into overshield state, but once again, a topic for debate!

I know a lot of people are hurting from the lifestrike/channeling change. This would provide a weaker version of it that might provide a bit of cushion transitioning away from using life strike.

Now you're probably thinking, okay armored and shielded enemies are one thing, but what happens when i have an infested "just health" enemy? Good question. I haven't really come up with a solution to that. If the magnetic proc was a static number of shield regen based on base damage of your weapon, that would be your solution. However if we're thinking keep the drain %, well that becomes more tricky. Could always scale on health. I'm sure someone smarter than me could come up with an interesting solution.

Anyways, I hope DE does get to see this thread because I (obviously) think this is a great idea. Plus everyone says shields suck so why not augment them a bit more? Magnetic does give a "pull from you to me" vibe doesn't it?

Give me your thoughts!

Edited by Skaleek
  • Like 2

39 minutes ago, CephalonSolo said:

giving lifeleech on armor or shield is a big thing since half of those weapon that deal magnetic dmg are very big hitter (es opticor) 

With the way shields work, constant magnetic procs leeching consistent shields would probably be more valuable than single, large hits. And keep in mind, i am not suggesting magnetic damage leech shields, only that procs trigger a (static or dynamic value) leech effect.

Does leeching shields feel as powerful as true damage over time or armor strip? I would argue not. You have to create a proc that incentivizes use. I think a shield leech proc would create new interesting builds and get people modding for magnetic.

Edited by Skaleek

5 minutes ago, ixidron92 said:

Can't even remember. It was in a devstream long time ago. I think it might have been moving the void damage status (bullet attraction) to magnetic. 

Would this effect make you consider modding for magnetic over viral/slash or corrosive/heat? or even gas/electric? (electric is amazing for building combo on melee btw).

It sounds essentially like minor aim assist. I personally don't feel i need much help aiming in warframe. On consoles this might be much more appealing though.

Edited by Skaleek

Justo ahora, Skaleek dijo:

Would this effect make you consider modding for magnetic over viral/slash or corrosive heat? or even gas/electric? (electric is amazing for building combo on melee btw).

No, it won't, but that's DE for you. They make changes just to address people's complains, not to make things necessarily better.

• Like 1

Just now, ixidron92 said:

No, it won't, but that's DE for you. They make changes just to address people's complains, not to make things necessarily better.

I agree. It wouldn't be appealing to me either. Do you think shield vamp might be something you would consider modding for?

hace 6 minutos, Skaleek dijo:

I agree. It wouldn't be appealing to me either. Do you think shield vamp might be something you would consider modding for?

Shield vamp would be op as #*!% and is not a good mechanic or ranged weapons. That's why it's heavily restricted in-game.

1 minute ago, ixidron92 said:

Shield vamp would be op as #*!% and is not a good mechanic or ranged weapons. That's why it's heavily restricted in-game.

Shields are considered to be incredibly weak, why would shield vamp be OP? Keep in mind that its per status proc, not just damage dealt. It would be like a far weaker version of lifestrike. Would you considering slotting this element if it worked the way i suggested?

• Like 1

hace 6 minutos, Skaleek dijo:

Shields are considered to be incredibly weak, why would shield vamp be OP? Keep in mind that its per status proc, not just damage dealt. It would be like a far weaker version of lifestrike. Would you considering slotting this element if it worked the way i suggested?

Shield are weak of course, unless you have an unlimited amount of them with a 100% status effect weapon. Like they said above, imagine Mesa deleting everything while healing.

8 minutes ago, CephalonSolo said:

well imagine putting on the weapon of mesa?  every mesa would build magnetic so he doesn't die and still kill everyone not sure is the right way , still it would be the first element to give a direct buff to the warframe . 

Yup, i can imagine this. It would be a powerful build in low level content. But it's a similar idea to grace on inaros. Shields are only ever good till you can be one shot. You have to remember that. Your shields are not overly effective against high level enemies because they can rip through them and your health with one shot. At that point in the game the shield steal will be negligible compared to an enemy's damage scaling. All shields do is provide a small health buffer, with the exception of Hildryn, who would freakin love this status.

Edited by Skaleek

9 minutes ago, ixidron92 said:

Shield are weak of course, unless you have an unlimited amount of them with a 100% status effect weapon. Like they said above, imagine Mesa deleting everything while healing.

I think it would be a cool build. I don't think it would make you invulnerable at higher levels. Shields are only effective up to a point (see my response post to cephalonsolo). We already have low level invulnerability builds that require less interaction than using peacemaker.

Edited by Skaleek

6 minutes ago, tekmansam said:

Frankly, I think its a moot point.  The entire concept of damage and enemy statistics, health types, armor types, shield types, scaling--all of it--needs thrown out the window and redrawn from scratch.

Okay sure, there's a larger system at play here, but meanwhile, let's talk about making magnetic worth using? @[DE]Grineeer I know you lurk these forums damnit. Witness me!

3 hours ago, Cibyllae said:

How would this work with Hildryn?

Would be like lifestrike on inaros, except probably not the ridiculous values you were used to on lifestrike, probably more "drops in the bucket", unless you modded or built really well? Why not?

Edited by Skaleek

17 hours ago, Skaleek said:

Would be like lifestrike on inaros, except probably not the ridiculous values you were used to on lifestrike, probably more "drops in the bucket", unless you modded or built really well? Why not?

Let me be more specfic, how would this work with Hildryn with regards to her shield gating?

19 minutes ago, Cibyllae said:

Let me be more specfic, how would this work with Hildryn with regards to her shield gating?

Hildryn's shield gate requires her hit full shields before it resets. It would work the way it works now:

Hildryn becomes invulnerable to all damage for 3 seconds upon her shields being depleted. This effect will only reset if her shields are allowed to fully replenish. Arcane barrier is a more powerful example of this.

Edited by Skaleek