Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Revisit Affinity

Smilomaniac

Fix the bugged/nerf to stealth kills. ASAP.

On paper the intent is that the more you kill with the weapon or warframe, the more affinity you gain with it. In practice, people have gathered up on the most popular tile to gain affinity from what others do, with a minimal loadout. With the 5 forma kuva weapons, this has exacerbated an already massive time-sink.

I have spent WAY more time leveling stuff, than actually playing the game and having fun with loadouts, abilities and what have you. I have spent 426 forma (not counting animal companions) and I'm sick to death of having to put on more. I had to go in and count every one and I'm honestly ashamed to have wasted so much time on what is essentially work for no pay.

tl;dr: Getting things should be the gameplay, not re-mastering everything eight or more times over.

Fixes:
1. Double the affinity gain.
2. Let affinity be shared across everything equipped that is non-mastered only (removing the absurd 1 weapon loadout that people are forced to do)
3. Straight up remove re-mastering things, just let us put 8 forma on in a row and get on with it. This might've been a wise mechanic at one point, but now people change their entire loadout on a whim.

For the love of making the game actually fun, do something about the affinity.

• Like 3

35 minutes ago, Miyabi-sama said:

If you enjoy to slide downhill you've gotta enjoy to pull up your sled.

I absolutely agree, things should be earned to be enjoyed. This is massive overkill though and you could easily reward long time players (via MR) to reduce the affinity grind.
Point being, if you've already spent thousands of hours grinding mastery, you shouldn't have to spend as much time doing it anymore.

It's just a way of combining both design philosophies, not saying it's an ideal or best solution.

is your choice to increase your mr.
You can continue to use whatever you want without having to become mr 28.
You are not required to level 3 weapons simultaneously on eso / hydron.
You can also level a weapon at a time passively while using the other weapons while having fun in the game.
Or use the new weapon in missions that
enjoy you.
it is certainly slower but at least you have fun.
I have leveled 8 of my kuva weapons by playing kuva missions very quickly while having fun with friends.

3 minutes ago, GmG-ITA said:

is your choice to increase your mr.
You can continue to use whatever you want without having to become mr 28.
You are not required to level 3 weapons simultaneously on eso / hydron.
You can also level a weapon at a time passively while using the other weapons while having fun in the game.
Or use the new weapon in missions that
enjoy you.
it is certainly slower but at least you have fun.
I have leveled 8 of my kuva weapons by playing kuva missions very quickly while having fun with friends.

Yep, you're literally right about every point you made. Without context, all of those things are completely reasonable.

What you wrote is essentially just "I enjoy the game the way it is", but I appreciate the bump nonetheless.

3 hours ago, Smilomaniac said:

I have spent 426 forma (not counting animal companions) and I'm sick to death of having to put on more.

... and I have put 2293 Forma into gear. I like the system how it is. My only feedback on Affinity is how abysmal every faction that isn't Grineer is. Other than that, the way Forma and leveling works is great, and it's a good gameplay loop while you increase the power of an item. As someone else mentioned, if you want to enjoy sliding downhill, you need to be able to pull your sled back up too.

Also, your payment for leveling is a more enhanced item. If you feel it is wasting time, you can simply level passively or only use a few weapons.

Edited by Voltage

45 minutes ago, Voltage said:

... and I have put 2293 Forma into gear. I like the system how it is. My only feedback on Affinity is how abysmal every faction that isn't Grineer is. Other than that, the way Forma and leveling works is great, and it's a good gameplay loop while you increase the power of an item. As someone else mentioned, if you want to enjoy sliding downhill, you need to be able to pull your sled back up too.

Also, your payment for leveling is a more enhanced item. If you feel it is wasting time, you can simply level passively or only use a few weapons.

I'm not sure why you even responded. There are a couple of implications that are obvious to me, but in all honesty I think you just added your opinion on a whim. In other words, much like the response before yours, you didn't really add anything to the topic or conversation.

I've already responded to the points you reiterated and I can only really respond to your overall message by saying that I value my time vastly more than you do yours, or that you enjoy your time spent re-mastering things on a level that I don't think a lot of other people can even sympathize with. Either way, it's not really reasonable or applicable to anyone but an extremely small proportion of players.

2 hours ago, Voltage said:

My only feedback on Affinity is how abysmal every faction that isn't Grineer is.

Yeah, other factions actually need heavy units that spawn in greater numbers.

Basically there are two affinity tracks in this game: Normal units and Heavy units with Heavy units having more affinity to grant than an equal leveled normal unit.  What is supposed to happen is that heavy units appear less often than normal units to balance out this difference.
The problem is that for the Grineer their heavy units are very common at higher levels, and that is purely because of how many different heavy units they have.  I mean how many Heavy Gunners and Bombards and Napalms do you see in a given tile in high level grineer missions?
Meanwhile other factions just don't have that many.  Corpus have rare techs and bursas, along with ambulas on Pluto, and that's about it.  Sure there are some heavy units in the vallis...but that is one location separated from the rest of the game where you can't work towards any other goal.
Infested?  Yeah...they don't really have heavies outside of the juggernaut.  Even their ancients count as normal units in terms of affinity tracks.  Their only benefit is they usually have a higher enemy density than the other factions, but you can see the drastic difference in affinity granted if you compare an SO tile with infested vs an SO tile with grineer where their span densities are normalized to being much closer together.

Part of the problem is that DE has been focusing rather heavily on the Grineer faction, and they have gained more and more units and more and more "heavy" units.
Meanwhile the other factions have been largely ignored and just haven't gotten heavy units that they can just put into normal missions and use.
We occasionally get a hint of stuff with events or special alerts but it just needs to be put in place all the time.  For example it would be a help towards corpus missions if they had a version of a Jackal that counted as a heavy unit that would spawn in more frequently than Bursas/Techs, as well as upping the spawns on those two units.

5 hours ago, Smilomaniac said:

Fixes:
1. Double the affinity gain.
2. Let affinity be shared across everything equipped that is non-mastered only (removing the absurd 1 weapon loadout that people are forced to do)
3. Straight up remove re-mastering things, just let us put 8 forma on in a row and get on with it. This might've been a wise mechanic at one point, but now people change their entire loadout on a whim.

I don't see much of a problem with number one...outside of things maybe going too fast at that point with ESO and other affinity farms already being rather efficient.
As to the second: I think DEs goal is to have people actually use the equipment that they want to level instead of doing so passively, and the only reason we can do so is to avoid problems with kill-stealing and similar issues preventing you from gaining any affinity for a piece of gear.  I don't see DE making it easier to level a weapon to 30 without ever touching it.
And for the third: When DE added in Forma they made it very clear that it would have drawbacks.  First drawback is that it would take time to do it, second is that it would limit your build options.  DEs goal for that is that to get the most out of your gear you're going to spend time grinding it out.

You don't need to forma everything over and over again.  Save it for the gear you actually enjoy using.